PDA

View Full Version : Cavs considered trading for JO

indyblue47
10-08-2008, 10:47 AM
http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/54770/20081008/cavs_considered_dealing_for_jo/

This link has another one for the full story.

indyblue47
10-08-2008, 10:49 AM
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/122345465271640.xml&coll=2

Here's the full story.

CAVALIERS INSIDER
Cleveland Cavaliers considered trading for Jermaine O'Neal
Wednesday, October 08, 2008
Brian Windhorst
Plain Dealer Reporter
The Toronto Raptors have the moniker "new look" attached to them these days, thanks to June's dramatic trade that brought them All-Star center Jermaine O'Neal.

That look, which was briefly on display at Quicken Loans Arena on Tuesday when they visited for a preseason game, could have been linked to the Cavaliers if circumstances were different.

Coach Mike Brown said the Cavs considered trading for O'Neal over the summer when Indiana Pacers President Larry Bird basically made his whole team available as he started a makeover.

Brown coached O'Neal for two seasons when he was an assistant with the Pacers from 2003 to 2005 and knows him well. But the two sides never could reach an agreement on a deal.

"He was talked about as were other guys on their team that were talked about for trade possibilities," Brown said. "We couldn't get anything worked out."

The Pacers were looking for a starter-quality center in return for O'Neal, which made it tough to make a deal work for the Cavs. They are not permitted to trade Anderson Varejao without his permission until at least Dec. 5 because of collective bargaining rules because they matched an offer sheet he signed on that date last year. And they were not interested in parting with Zydrunas Ilgauskas.

The Raptors ended up dealing point guard T.J. Ford and center Rasho Nesterovic for O'Neal on draft day.

Dickerson, West still away:

The Cavs were without guards Delonte West and Michael Dickerson on Tuesday night as both continued to be excused for personal reasons. There is no timetable for their return.

Dickerson's chances to make the team may be hurt by his absence. The former first-round draft pick has been out of the league for five years and was trying to make a comeback.

"Obviously with him not playing in the last five years and then missing a lot of training camp days, it is not going to help his cause," Brown said. "When it comes to personal matters, though, that is more important than what we do. That other stuff is real."

Major Cold
10-08-2008, 11:06 AM
We needed a point and a big. We got the better deal.

Oneal07
10-08-2008, 11:49 AM
I knew Cleveland was in the run for J.O. They are so stupid not to. I think J.O. would have elevated playing with LeBron James. I like Where JO Is and where the Pacers are right now. . .This trade would have put Cleveland over the hump. But You know. . .Whateva

ABADays
10-08-2008, 01:38 PM
When was JO a center? I was always told he was a power forward.

Jonathan
10-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Michael Dickerson. I wish him the best of luck, I could fill it up with him on the Old School Playstation with him on the Grizzilies. Do you think the Grizzilies had the ugliest uniforms ever in the NBA?

BillS
10-08-2008, 02:23 PM
When was JO a center? I was always told he was a power forward.

Yeah, but you believed there was rum hanging in the trees of the beautiful Mideast forests, too, and look where that got you.

MyFavMartin
10-08-2008, 02:43 PM
He'd be next to Ben Wallace so it's kind of 6 of one, half a dozen of another as to which of the two is called center and the other power forward.