PDA

View Full Version : Hibbert autographing cards as Franchise #55

HC
10-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Well, I went back and took a look but I didn't see this posted yet. I apologize if it has been. A somewhat interesting read about the Pacers in general and even more interesting some pics of how Roy has been signing cards. Hope he lives up to the hype.

http://gregsdrawings.com/pacers-are-back/

duke dynamite
10-07-2008, 08:58 PM
I got his autograph at the Eagle Ranch party. I'll have to see how he signs his name again.

I know Brandon put #25 on his signature.

See what you think. Below are videos of Hibbert, one an interview with a guy who looks/talks like Michael Scott from NBC’s “The Office,” and another of highlights from Georgetown:

HA HA

HC
10-07-2008, 09:00 PM
I got his autograph at the Eagle Ranch party. I'll have to see how he signs his name again.

I know Brandon put #25 on his signature.

Not sure if he is signing them all like that, according to this guys blog though it looks like there are a few out there.

Shade
10-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Interesting.

And horrifying.

GO!!!!!
10-07-2008, 09:14 PM
DEKE baby...

nothing else to say...

HC
10-07-2008, 09:20 PM
One for sale on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROY-HIBBERT-FRANCHISE-PRESS-PASS-99-AUTO-AUTOGRAPH_W0QQitemZ360095916621QQcmdZViewItem?hash =item360095916621&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C 240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ebayphotohosting

Shade
10-07-2008, 09:36 PM
DEKE baby...

nothing else to say...

Well, in foot speed, at least. :devil:

Pacemaker
10-07-2008, 09:54 PM
All I have to say is that Roy has been pretty refreshing to me. Go Roy !!!

Hicks
10-08-2008, 12:08 AM
I'm going to claim this is his dark side (ego) that makes him human and run away right now.

rexnom
10-08-2008, 12:34 AM
Come on, he's a nice guy with a personality and a habit of behaving on and off the court. We couldn't ask for more.

HC
10-08-2008, 12:41 AM
I can't speak for everyone else, but since I posted this I just want to say that I don't mean to ridicule him. I just found it interesting, and a bit bold. I am glad he is confident, I just hope he hasn't set himsef up for failure. I am sure we all hope he can be a franchise caliber player.

MyFavMartin
10-08-2008, 01:05 AM
Maybe he's the next JO?

Doddage
10-08-2008, 01:45 AM
If by that, you mean draft steal, then yes I would hope so. I also hope that we encounter more success with Hibbert than we did JO.

d_c
10-08-2008, 02:00 AM
All I have to say is that Roy has been pretty refreshing to me. Go Roy !!!

Just want to point out that if Michael Beasley or Bayless did what Hibbert did, people on this board would be calling him an arrogant prick for doing so, and not "refreshing".

And I really don't have a problem at all with what Hibbert did. None at all. If he's confident, good for him.

d_c
10-08-2008, 02:01 AM
If by that, you mean draft steal, then yes I would hope so. I also hope that we encounter more success with Hibbert than we did JO.

I agree. I hope Hibbert does better than only being a 6 time all-star.

Doddage
10-08-2008, 02:06 AM
Right, because we all know it's about individual accomplishments.

d_c
10-08-2008, 02:15 AM
Right, because we all know it's about individual accomplishments.

Yeah, the Pacers were a terrible team all those years when Jermaine was in his prime.

Doddage
10-08-2008, 03:11 AM
Tell me, what exactly did we win in that period of time? Is it wrong for me as a Pacers fans to want more than what we accomplished then, or rather did not?

Pacemaker
10-08-2008, 03:11 AM
Just want to point out that if Michael Beasley or Bayless did what Hibbert did, people on this board would be calling him an arrogant prick for doing so, and not "refreshing".

And I really don't have a problem at all with what Hibbert did. None at all. If he's confident, good for him.

Well let me tell you may be you're right BUT after learning about Hibbert's background and his demeanor on and off the court I think it is quite easy to understand where he comes from.

d_c
10-08-2008, 03:29 AM
Tell me, what exactly did we win in that period of time? Is it wrong for me as a Pacers fans to want more than what we accomplished then, or rather did not?

You were a really good team that actually mattered and had a 2-3 year window to do something big, but it just didn't work out for a few reasons.

Jermaine ended up not being worth his money because of his injuries and he wasn't a clutch, but he was a workhorse and gave you guys the CHANCE to compete and if not for a few circumstances, you were on the verge of really competing for something. And no, you're not wrong for wanting more.

But to think you'll just easily walk into acquiring another bigman of anywhere near the caliber of Jermaine in his prime is pretty presumptive.

Raskolnikov
10-08-2008, 04:05 AM
Am I the only one who's reading "Franckie" instead of "Franchise"? Or "Franchie" perhaps, can't see whether it's a k or an h, but I really don't see an s.

Raskolnikov
10-08-2008, 04:29 AM
Of course, you might wonder then what Franckie or Franchie means.

MillerTime
10-08-2008, 04:38 AM
Maybe he's the next JO?

I dont think he has the offensive talent nor the foot work to be the next JO. I think he'll be something like the next Dekembe

Raskolnikov
10-08-2008, 04:48 AM
Of course, you might wonder then what Franckie or Franchie means.
And whether he can live up to the expectations those names bring along.

So, he thinks he's the next Franckie or Franchie, eh? Let's see if he can deliver, that big mouth rookie.

KennerLeaguer
10-08-2008, 05:43 AM
I dont think he has the offensive talent nor the foot work to be the next JO. I think he'll be something like the next Dekembe

Its a crapshoot in terms of predicting how good he will be. But the comment above is just one more indication of people not having a clue about some of these guys coming out of college. Hibbert's footwork was raved about by almost every person who called his games and that included big men who played years in the NBA. His skill level on offense (which includes passing, shooting, dribbling and ability to score with either hand) also got high praise by these same men who actually saw him live and in person numerous times. His defense though got more solid-like praise, specifically his presence in the paint. But what he was able to do on O led to the most positive responses.

Yet hundreds of fans and guys in the media who apparently never saw him (or saw much of him) keep making these predictions of him being the next Dikembe. Tell me how do you come to these conclusions and/or predictions? Hibbert does not have the defensive timing of Mutombo. He does not have Mutombo's athleticism or stamina. He does not rebound on the defensive end as well as Mutombo. But I guess his being 7'2 and being from Gtown automatically leads to such comparisons? Otherwise I don't get it.

Hall of Fame coach John Thompson knows something about centers. He would never put Hibbert in Mutombo's class as a defender. But Thompson has stated quite a few times that Hibbert is more gifted on the offensive end than Mutombo and Mourning. All JT had seen of Hibbert is many of his high school games, all of his college games, probably a dozen summer league games and hundreds of practices and pickup games in which Hibbert is involved. JT has also seen enough big time basketball to make evaluations about players' abilities. You do realize that Mourning is the 4th all-time leading scorer at Gtown and in his senior season averaged over 20 points. Still JT says Hibbert is the better offensive talent. That's because Roy had better dropsteps, better hookshots, better passing skills, the ability to use the glass for baskets, better ball control, better postup footwork and the ability to score with both hands. Realize that these areas were never strong points for Alonzo, my all-time favorite Hoya. Zo got/get his points mostly on effort, heart, aggression, running the floor, getting fouled because he goes up strong, etc. But whether at Gtown or in the pros Zo was never great at delivering a basket late in the game by isolating a defender and posting up. Hibbert has yet to do that in the NBA but he was a good target for that while at Gtown.

Hibbert broke a BE record for fg% shooting. He did that his junior year without:

1)scoring off of fast breaks (Gtown didn't have many of those)
2)scoring uncontested dunks
3)benefiting from teammates who drove into the paint, drew the defense and delivered to Roy passes for point blank layups.

In other words he broke that record without getting the type of EASY baskets that big men thrive on. Mutombo would get a two to three of those types of baskets each game by the time of his senior season. Trust me...Roy would get such baskets two to three times every couple of weeks....sometimes longer. When he scored it was typically with a defender guarding him closely and Roy using his footwork, dexterity, length and touch to score anyway. He certainly wasn't some athletic freak like Greg Oden who could get three to four easy dunks each game because of his superior athleticism and because Ohio State ran the floor more.

I'm not saying he is the next JO or anything. But his game is probably closer to JO's than it is Mutombo. So can folks stop calling him the next Mutombo? I don't care if folks don't think Roy is going to be all that great. That is merely an opinion. But claiming he is like Mutombo is frankly just misinformation. And to be fair while Roy worships those previous Gtown centers he too needs to stop making comparisons to those guys (something he has always done since high school). He is Roy Hibbert, not Mutombo, Mourning or Ewing. Eventually we will find out how he stacks up compare to them as an NBA player.

Kuq_e_Zi91
10-08-2008, 07:10 AM
Man, what a great post. I agree with ya and I can tell you know what you're talking about. I remember when Hibbert was at Prep, and everybody used to say this kids gonna be something great in the League one day. It's just nice to finally see him reach that level, with the progress he's made, and it'll be an interesting ride to see just how successful he becomes.

HC
10-08-2008, 07:17 AM

Idk about Bayless, but Beasley has a history of being a jack*ss. Hibbert, not so much. When it comes to character, I would never compare anything between Beasley and Hibbert.

Doddage
10-08-2008, 08:54 AM
You were a really good team that actually mattered and had a 2-3 year window to do something big, but it just didn't work out for a few reasons.

Jermaine ended up not being worth his money because of his injuries and he wasn't a clutch, but he was a workhorse and gave you guys the CHANCE to compete and if not for a few circumstances, you were on the verge of really competing for something. And no, you're not wrong for wanting more.

But to think you'll just easily walk into acquiring another bigman of anywhere near the caliber of Jermaine in his prime is pretty presumptive.
No one ever said Hibbert was going to be as good as JO. I think it's presumptive to believe that's what I meant.

Perhaps re-reading would be instructive; when I said "I hope we encounter more success with Hibbert than JO," that meant that I hope Hibbert becomes an instrumental piece that will contribute towards a more successful chapter of the franchise than when JO was here. Sure, when he was here, we had the CHANCE to compete and do something big, just like the Warriors had a CHANCE to make the playoffs if Jackson wasn't suspended, but ultimately neither of those chances came through and as fans, we have to move on and hope for bigger and better things.

Raskolnikov
10-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Seriously, it doesn't say Franchise.

Hicks
10-08-2008, 09:24 AM
Come on, he's a nice guy with a personality and a habit of behaving on and off the court. We couldn't ask for more.

That's my point: It's too good to be true. So I'm claiming this as his major flaw and running with it.

Hicks
10-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Seriously, it doesn't say Franchise.

Yes, it does. Yes, including the cursive "s".

Raskolnikov
10-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Yes, it does. Yes, including the cursive "s".
I really don't see it.

Roaming Gnome
10-08-2008, 10:00 AM
Great post KennerLeaguer...

It just seems that as long as people see an above 7' player, they're going to think defensive comparisons first.

d_c
10-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Perhaps re-reading would be instructive; when I said "I hope we encounter more success with Hibbert than JO," that meant that I hope Hibbert becomes an instrumental piece that will contribute towards a more successful chapter of the franchise than when JO was here.

Well, that goes without saying: You're saying you hope to become more successful than whatever it is you did 4-5 years ago. That's you and fans of about 27 other teams in the league.

If Hibbert is the best big guy on a perennial playoff team that consistently wins 50+ games, I'll be impressed by him to say the least.

d_c
10-08-2008, 11:38 AM

Which Mutombo? The Mutombo in his prime or the one past his prime. Because if it's the Mutombo in his prime, you're getting one heck of a player:

-8 time all-star
-3 time all NBA first team defense
-4 time defensive player of the year.

BillS
10-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Which Mutombo? The Mutombo in his prime or the one past his prime. Because if it's the Mutombo in his prime, you're getting one heck of a player:

-8 time all-star
-3 time all NBA first team defense
-4 time defensive player of the year.

Umm, yeah, I take that Mutumbo without any hesitation whatsoever. Imagine what the rest of the floor could do if opponents blowing past into the lane was simply not an option.

KennerLeaguer
10-08-2008, 12:43 PM
I can't speak for everyone else, but since I posted this I just want to say that I don't mean to ridicule him. I just found it interesting, and a bit bold. I am glad he is confident, I just hope he hasn't set himsef up for failure. I am sure we all hope he can be a franchise caliber player.

Lets clear this up. "Franchise" was a nickname given to him by the Gtown coaching staff during his sophmore season when he made his breakthrough (which was a way of killing his previous nickname "The Big Stiff" given to him by John Thompson Jr which followed an even more ridiculous nickname, Sha-Dirk, that his Gtown Prep (high school) teammates gave him). Its not really a big deal and some here are blowing out of proportion if you ask me. He's not the type to brag or puff himself up to anyone. By now you should realize that by ALL reports he is humble, hardworking, mature, willing to learn and smart enough to realize he has a lot to learn and a long way to go. Do you think all of a sudden he got a big ego and thinks h's ready to dominate? I don't think so. But if I play devil's advocate and suggest he was bragging a bit when signing under that name even then I would say give him a break and let him have some fun. Let him crow a bit in that harmless way after years and years of not talking himself up like most guys.

BillS
10-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Lets clear this up. "Franchise" was a nickname given to him by the Gtown coaching staff during his sophmore season when he made his breakthrough (which was a way of killing his previous nickname "The Big Stiff" given to him by John Thompson Jr which followed an even more ridiculous nickname, Sha-Dirk, that his Gtown Prep (high school) teammates gave him).

That makes a big difference and hopefully would be in any actual news feature about this.

duke dynamite
10-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Lets clear this up. "Franchise" was a nickname given to him by the Gtown coaching staff during his sophmore season when he made his breakthrough (which was a way of killing his previous nickname "The Big Stiff" given to him by John Thompson Jr which followed an even more ridiculous nickname, Sha-Dirk, that his Gtown Prep (high school) teammates gave him).

Then he was known as Dirt McGirk, then to ODB.

JayRedd
10-08-2008, 01:28 PM
Am I the only one who's reading "Franckie" instead of "Franchise"? Or "Franchie" perhaps, can't see whether it's a k or an h, but I really don't see an s.

I'm pretty sure he's just a big Steve Francis fan.

Its a crapshoot in terms of predicting how good he will be. But the comment above is just one more indication of people not having a clue about some of these guys coming out of college. Hibbert's footwork was raved about by almost every person who called his games and that included big men who played years in the NBA. His skill level on offense (which includes passing, shooting, dribbling and ability to score with either hand) also got high praise by these same men who actually saw him live and in person numerous times. His defense though got more solid-like praise, specifically his presence in the paint. But what he was able to do on O led to the most positive responses.

Yet hundreds of fans and guys in the media who apparently never saw him (or saw much of him) keep making these predictions of him being the next Dikembe. Tell me how do you come to these conclusions and/or predictions? Hibbert does not have the defensive timing of Mutombo. He does not have Mutombo's athleticism or stamina. He does not rebound on the defensive end as well as Mutombo. But I guess his being 7'2 and being from Gtown automatically leads to such comparisons? Otherwise I don't get it.

Hall of Fame coach John Thompson knows something about centers. He would never put Hibbert in Mutombo's class as a defender. But Thompson has stated quite a few times that Hibbert is more gifted on the offensive end than Mutombo and Mourning. All JT had seen of Hibbert is many of his high school games, all of his college games, probably a dozen summer league games and hundreds of practices and pickup games in which Hibbert is involved. JT has also seen enough big time basketball to make evaluations about players' abilities. You do realize that Mourning is the 4th all-time leading scorer at Gtown and in his senior season averaged over 20 points. Still JT says Hibbert is the better offensive talent. That's because Roy had better dropsteps, better hookshots, better passing skills, the ability to use the glass for baskets, better ball control, better postup footwork and the ability to score with both hands. Realize that these areas were never strong points for Alonzo, my all-time favorite Hoya. Zo got/get his points mostly on effort, heart, aggression, running the floor, getting fouled because he goes up strong, etc. But whether at Gtown or in the pros Zo was never great at delivering a basket late in the game by isolating a defender and posting up. Hibbert has yet to do that in the NBA but he was a good target for that while at Gtown.

Hibbert broke a BE record for fg% shooting. He did that his junior year without:

1)scoring off of fast breaks (Gtown didn't have many of those)
2)scoring uncontested dunks
3)benefiting from teammates who drove into the paint, drew the defense and delivered to Roy passes for point blank layups.

In other words he broke that record without getting the type of EASY baskets that big men thrive on. Mutombo would get a two to three of those types of baskets each game by the time of his senior season. Trust me...Roy would get such baskets two to three times every couple of weeks....sometimes longer. When he scored it was typically with a defender guarding him closely and Roy using his footwork, dexterity, length and touch to score anyway. He certainly wasn't some athletic freak like Greg Oden who could get three to four easy dunks each game because of his superior athleticism and because Ohio State ran the floor more.

I'm not saying he is the next JO or anything. But his game is probably closer to JO's than it is Mutombo. So can folks stop calling him the next Mutombo? I don't care if folks don't think Roy is going to be all that great. That is merely an opinion. But claiming he is like Mutombo is frankly just misinformation. And to be fair while Roy worships those previous Gtown centers he too needs to stop making comparisons to those guys (something he has always done since high school). He is Roy Hibbert, not Mutombo, Mourning or Ewing. Eventually we will find out how he stacks up compare to them as an NBA player.

That right there is a whole bunch of win.

The only thing I'll add is that if he ever by some miracle chance of luck becomes anywhere close to any of Ewing, Zo or Mt. Mutombo, I will be ecstatic.

And can we please, oh please, stop comparing our non-All Star players to Hall of Famers?

Lets clear this up. "Franchise" was a nickname given to him by the Gtown coaching staff during his sophmore season when he made his breakthrough (which was a way of killing his previous nickname "The Big Stiff" given to him by John Thompson Jr which followed an even more ridiculous nickname, Sha-Dirk, that his Gtown Prep (high school) teammates gave him). Its not really a big deal and some here are blowing out of proportion if you ask me. He's not the type to brag or puff himself up to anyone. By now you should realize that by ALL reports he is humble, hardworking, mature, willing to learn and smart enough to realize he has a lot to learn and a long way to go. Do you think all of a sudden he got a big ego and thinks h's ready to dominate? I don't think so. But if I play devil's advocate and suggest he was bragging a bit when signing under that name even then I would say give him a break and let him have some fun. Let him crow a bit in that harmless way after years and years of not talking himself up like most guys.

Also...word.

d_c
10-08-2008, 01:38 PM
And can we please, oh please, stop comparing our non-All Star players to Hall of Famers?

But it's so much fun.

HC
10-08-2008, 01:47 PM

Not sure why you quoted me, but I clearly stated that I was not trying to ridicule him. Thanks for the info though.

HC
10-08-2008, 01:53 PM
I did just stumble across this, Oden refers to him as "the best big man I have ever gone up against."

http://video1.washingtontimes.com/d1scourse/2007/05/hoyas_should_be_happy_they_sti.html

d_c
10-08-2008, 01:57 PM
I did just stumble across this, Oden refers to him as "the best big man I have ever gone up against."

http://video1.washingtontimes.com/d1scourse/2007/05/hoyas_should_be_happy_they_sti.html

Well, that shouldn't be of surprise given that Oden spent all of 1 season in college and the NCAA landscape was pretty much devoid of any dominant bigmen. Remember, Oden and Durant playing in the NCAA were the first year of Stern's "age" rule.

If that rule had been implemented earlier, there's a chance Oden would have run into Andrew Bynum or Dwight Howard. If it hadn't been implemented at all, Oden himself would have never played against Hibbert because he would've never been at Ohio State.

That's not to take away from Hibbert's performance against Oden, though. He played very well.

HC
10-08-2008, 02:04 PM
Well, that shouldn't be of surprise given that Oden spent all of 1 season in college and the NCAA landscape was pretty much devoid of any dominant bigmen. Remember, Oden and Durant playing in the NCAA were the first year of Stern's "age" rule.

If that rule had been implemented earlier, there's a chance Oden would have run into Andrew Bynum or Dwight Howard. If it hadn't been implemented at all, Oden himself would have never played against Hibbert because he would've never been at Ohio State.

That's not to take away from Hibbert's performance against Oden, though. He played very well.

True, all good points that I had not considered. You still have to figure though, Oden know a good player when he goes up against him. Even though we have yet to see Oden, I bet he is a beast.

KennerLeaguer
10-08-2008, 02:04 PM
Not sure why you quoted me, but I clearly stated that I was not trying to ridicule him. Thanks for the info though.

Sorry, dude. Just randomly picked a quote and went from there.

HC
10-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Sorry, dude. Just randomly picked a quote and went from there.

Its okay, I figured it would happen at some point since I started the thread. That is why I made that post you quoted me on to clarify that I wasn't trying to be critical of him.

Putnam
10-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Does anyone else appreciate KennerLeaguer as much as I do? As a rule people who put a player over the team are annoying, but KennerLeaguer makes a very good contribution. He is what Jermaniac would have been in a more perfect world.

Keep it up, pal! Hoya Saxa!

Anthem
10-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Does anyone else appreciate KennerLeaguer as much as I do? As a rule people who put a player over the team are annoying, but KennerLeaguer makes a very good contribution. He is what Jermaniac would have been in a more perfect world.

Keep it up, pal! Hoya Saxa!
He's this year's loborick.