PDA

View Full Version : JaVale McGee

MillerTime
10-06-2008, 07:52 PM
I dont under stand why we didnt draft McGee. He seems to fit JOBs system better than Hibbert, and he got drafted one pick after Hibbert. He seem pretty athletic, he can get up and down the court with relative ease and he has a decent jumper http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJilDqw8JOY

CableKC
10-06-2008, 08:05 PM
It's cuz McGee wasn't NBA Ready and is still considered raw. Bird wanted a guy that can pretty much hit the ground running. Hibbert was the most NBA Ready Center in the Draft.

Skaut_Ech
10-06-2008, 08:06 PM
From what I've read, McGee isn't the smartest guy in the room either. And that's even when he's all by himself.

themayhem87
10-06-2008, 08:21 PM
javale mcgee is the next patrick o'bryant...more athletic but a big guy from a small school that was never tested

Robertmto
10-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Because if Hibbert would have dropped to us, it would have vbeen perfect. And nothing ever goes right for us...

Anthem
10-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Dude is a thread-starting MACHINE.

MillerTime
10-06-2008, 08:40 PM
It's cuz McGee wasn't NBA Ready and is still considered raw. Bird wanted a guy that can pretty much hit the ground running. Hibbert was the most NBA Ready Center in the Draft.

make sense...Bird stressed he wanted to draft player that can come in a be ready to play right away (i.e. Rush)

Major Cold
10-06-2008, 10:26 PM
I remember reading that Hibbert tore Jordan and Javale apart in workouts.

That's why.

But maybe Bird didn't watch that youtube vid.

GO!!!!!
10-06-2008, 10:36 PM
The more i hear about this Hibbert, the more I am excited, good college good fundamentals, good size, maybe a tickle slow but hey.. if he stays Injury free i hope he's going to be a regular in the rotation..

Roaming Gnome
10-06-2008, 10:38 PM

That's why.

I thought the story was that he did that during his Pacers workout.

imawhat
10-06-2008, 10:40 PM
June 2008 called...

Major Cold
10-06-2008, 11:04 PM
I heard a blog saying that Hibbert actually outplayed them at the Wiz workout. Nothing concrete.

Either way I would rather have Hibbert than JaVale. I wanted Speights.

Anthem
10-06-2008, 11:41 PM
:laugh: Awesome.

KennerLeaguer
10-06-2008, 11:53 PM
I heard a blog saying that Hibbert actually outplayed them at the Wiz workout. Nothing concrete.

Either way I would rather have Hibbert than JaVale. I wanted Speights.

It was actually both the Pacers workout and the Bobcats workout (which is why Larry Brown picked up another first round draft pick to get Hibbert). Hibbert from all reports destroyed JaV and DeAndre Jordan during both workouts and as a result the rumor was that either DeAndre or JaVale came up with an excuse to not travel to Toronto for a third workout that would include hibbert. But, sigh, the person to initiate the post is typical of many bball fans and scouts. It doesn't matter that Hibbert has the far better resume and played against far better competition. All that matters is that JaVale can run and jump right? There are a lot of great athletes in the NBA but far too little very good basketball players for my taste. JaVale hasn't shown much of a game other than shot blocks against midmajor centers in college. Sure he can run but he can't pass or shoot which is even more important to O'Brien's scheme. JaVale has been working his tail off and showing some positive stuff here and there in camp but when asked if he thought JaVale would break into the center rotation this season, Wizard coach Eddie Johnson said no. That translates to mean the kid is very raw.

imawhat
10-07-2008, 03:20 AM
Sure he can run but he can't pass or shoot which is even more important to O'Brien's scheme. JaVale has been working his tail off and showing some positive stuff here and there in camp but when asked if he thought JaVale would break into the center rotation this season, Wizard coach Eddie Johnson said no. That translates to mean the kid is very raw.

Apparently he's improved a lot, because the first knock I read on him was that he had such bad conditioning that he couldn't even run. He was the least polished of the three centers, which says a lot considering DeAndre probably won't be in the league in four years (though it sounds like McGee has a chance somewhere down the line).

KennerLeaguer
10-07-2008, 06:23 AM
Apparently he's improved a lot, because the first knock I read on him was that he had such bad conditioning that he couldn't even run. He was the least polished of the three centers, which says a lot considering DeAndre probably won't be in the league in four years (though it sounds like McGee has a chance somewhere down the line).

He needed to get in better shape and try harder on the court but he could always run. His ability to get up the floor was a strength for him. How long he could do it was probably more of an issue.

Putnam
10-07-2008, 08:06 AM
There are a lot of great athletes in the NBA but far too few very good basketball players for my taste.

Amen!

Major Cold
10-07-2008, 08:47 AM
i don't think this team needed a player who might be athletic, but are not in shape enough (or intelligent enough for that matter) to utilize such assets. The defensive and offensive system requires you to know what is going on. I don't know much about Nevada's systems, but I be they did not require JaVale to stretch and grow in that area.

Listen the know-how of the game is far more important than is discussed on this board. If athelitic ability was all that is needed then Stromile Swift/Gerald Green/etc needs to be on this team and not people who know how to play the game.

Jonathan
10-07-2008, 09:40 AM
Mcgee and Hibbert have both done nothing in the NBA.

Lets wait and see who is better in a few years. Everybody was dubbing Reggie Bush a bust but he looks very good this season. Is it Kim Kardashian?

Since86
10-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Well it's true both haven't done anything, you can clearly tell who is ahead of who on the curve.

McGee's idea of a post move is having his back to the basket, jump, twist in the air, and either dunk or lay it in over 6'7" mid-major center.

To say he's footwork is abysmial (sp?) would be a compliment, because he doesn't have any footwork.

idioteque
10-07-2008, 10:55 AM
The Pacers want to win now and they'd rather take a guy who is very likely going to be a good defensive presence with probably a decent (10-12ppg) scorer in a couple of years. Compare that with another rail thin "project" with no footwork who is absolutely completely raw and played against no real talented guys during his college career who probably has a 30% chance at best of being a really good NBA player. Hibbert will probably be a much better offensive player than McGee and offense isn't even Hibbert's strength. Pretty obvious pick.

avoidingtheclowns
10-07-2008, 11:07 AM
We may not know if Roy is going to make the transition into a quality NBA center but the jury is still out on whether JaVale will be any good at basketball. The Pacers were going for experience in their rookies more than LONG term projects.

I didn't really understand why the Wizards took JaVale instead of trading down once Roy was off the board. Especially considering they already have one 7ft project in Pecherov.

naptownmenace
10-07-2008, 11:15 AM

That's why.

That's immediately what I thought too! :laugh:

KennerLeaguer
10-07-2008, 04:34 PM
The Pacers want to win now and they'd rather take a guy who is very likely going to be a good defensive presence with probably a decent (10-12ppg) scorer in a couple of years. Compare that with another rail thin "project" with no footwork who is absolutely completely raw and played against no real talented guys during his college career who probably has a 30% chance at best of being a really good NBA player. Hibbert will probably be a much better offensive player than McGee and offense isn't even Hibbert's strength. Pretty obvious pick.

Hate to keep saying it but offense WAS Hibbert's strength. Not defense. His efficiency on O and his skill level was his most special quality.

Justin Tyme
10-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Listen the know-how of the game is far more important than is discussed on this board. If athelitic ability was all that is needed then Stromile Swift/Gerald Green/etc needs to be on this team and not people who know how to play the game.

I have this feeling this is going to be Green's breakout year. I could be wrong, but I was always one who wanted to take a chance on Green. I, personally, hope he has a great year for Carlisle.

JayRedd
10-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Gerald Green is a disaster.

Justin Tyme
10-08-2008, 03:02 PM

You could be right, but then you could be wrong. That's the way it is with young players that are described by that "P" word.

avoidingtheclowns
10-08-2008, 03:11 PM
You could be right, but then you could be wrong. That's the way it is with young players that are described by that "P" word.

no, he's right.

count55
10-08-2008, 03:43 PM

no, he's right.

Oh, I don't know. I think you could make a pretty strong argument that he was merely a dismal failure and complete disappointment. He was, after all, only the 18th pick, and those don't have a high success rate.

I would reserve "disaster" for the top five picks that busted, because you figure the teams were counting on some big returns. Kwame Brown was a disaster. Jonathan Bender was a disaster...and so on.

:p

Justin Tyme
10-08-2008, 03:48 PM
no, he's right.

I'm still hoping he has a good year with Carlisle. If not, it's just another young athletic player with "P" who couldn't make it.

JayRedd
10-08-2008, 03:53 PM
For clarification, the disaster metaphor refers to Gerald's ability to play basketball...not the level of disappointment associated with his career.

count's qualification of that aspect is probably apt...Although he will at least forever have his name etched in NBA lore for Birthday Cake, which essentially makes his legacy that of a poor man's Harold Miner.

count55
10-08-2008, 04:06 PM
For clarification, the disaster metaphor refers to Gerald's ability to play basketball...not the level of disappointment associated with his career.

count's qualification of that aspect is probably apt...Although he will at least forever have his name etched in NBA lore for Birthday Cake, which essentially makes his legacy that of a poor man's Harold Miner.

OK...kinda like "Stuart Gray is a disaster".

I get it.

Right there withya.

Major Cold
10-08-2008, 06:41 PM
JJ is a Reddickulous disater.

Anthem
10-08-2008, 09:37 PM
a poor man's Harold Miner.
I thought we all agreed to back off on the class warfare for a while?

Because he's really a lower-middle-class man's Harold Miner.

MillerTime
10-08-2008, 11:31 PM
McGee has a pretty good game today. He had 20 points, 8 rebs and 3 blks in 27 mins .... not bad http://www.nba.com/games/20081008/WASMEM/boxscore.html

Robertmto
10-08-2008, 11:33 PM
he had some pretty poor footwork, especially on his spin move hook shot over Gasol :rolleyes:

Kuq_e_Zi91
10-09-2008, 01:46 AM
he had some pretty poor footwork, especially on his spin move hook shot over Gasol :rolleyes:

The game was on TV?

MillerTime
10-09-2008, 03:03 AM
The game was on TV?

yup...and online

Kuq_e_Zi91
10-09-2008, 03:16 AM
What?? What channel? Man, I live in DC and it wasn't on CSN-Mid Atlantic. They usually show all the Wiz games. It wasn't on LP either.

Robertmto
10-09-2008, 05:45 AM
What?? What channel? Man, I live in DC and it wasn't on CSN-Mid Atlantic. They usually show all the Wiz games. It wasn't on LP either.

i watched it on a p2p, nto sure what feed it was, but it was from the memphis market