PDA

View Full Version : Larry's interview

jhondog28
10-06-2008, 06:49 PM
I didn't know Larry makes wine. Personally I like Pinot. Wonder if Larry brings a bottle with him to the games. He kind of answers the same questions we have heard but I liked the part about the wines.

http://www.nba.com/news/bird_qa_08.html

QuickRelease
10-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Would have been nice to give out a bottle to the fans who visited his abode. ; ^ P

CableKC
10-07-2008, 04:49 PM
Well...since no one else pointed it out....I was interested in this part about Murphy:

NBA.com: You’ve said that Troy Murphy is going to have his best NBA season this year. Why do you think so?

Larry Bird: He’ll play probably 35 minutes a game and he’s always played around 30 or 32 minutes. At the end of the season last year when he was playing the 35 minutes he started producing more. Plus in the offseason the last couple of years he’s really worked hard. Each summer you do that you continue to get better, so I look for a big year out of Troy.

Anyone else think that it's a good idea to bump Murphy up to 35 mpg?

Checking his Post-ASB stats, he averaged 31.8 mpg over 28 games while scoring 14.8 ppg / 7.7 rpg / 50% FG / 42% 3ptFG. Much better compared this his Pre-ASB stats.

My only concern is his durability and the need IMHO to take advantage of the depth that we have.

OakMoses
10-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Anyone else think that it's a good idea to bump Murphy up to 35 mpg?

My only concern is his durability and the need IMHO to take advantage of the depth that we have.

If Murphy can put up those kind of numbers, then I like the idea of him playing 35 mpg. He's been fairly durable over the course of his career, playing more than 70 games in 5 out of 7 seasons.

I think that Murphy will flourish playing alongside true centers like Rasho and Hibbert, and he always played well alongside Jeff last year. His defense is suspect, but hopefully our team defense will improve dramatically in JO'B's second year. I think Murphy is entering this season having a clearly defined role for the first time in the last few years. O'Brien seems to be very direct about telling players what he wants and expects from them. Troy's had the whole summer to work at becoming what O'Brien wants him to be. I think he's poised to have a very good year. I still don't think he'll earn his contract, but 15 points and 8-10 rebounds aren't out of the question at all.

Tom White
10-07-2008, 05:16 PM
I didn't know Larry makes wine. Personally I like Pinot. Wonder if Larry brings a bottle with him to the games. He kind of answers the same questions we have heard but I liked the part about the wines.

Blanc?
Gris?
Grigio?
Noir?

JayRedd
10-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Noir.

CableKC
10-07-2008, 06:08 PM
If Murphy can put up those kind of numbers, then I like the idea of him playing 35 mpg. He's been fairly durable over the course of his career, playing more than 70 games in 5 out of 7 seasons.

I think that Murphy will flourish playing alongside true centers like Rasho and Hibbert, and he always played well alongside Jeff last year. His defense is suspect, but hopefully our team defense will improve dramatically in JO'B's second year. I think Murphy is entering this season having a clearly defined role for the first time in the last few years. O'Brien seems to be very direct about telling players what he wants and expects from them. Troy's had the whole summer to work at becoming what O'Brien wants him to be. I think he's poised to have a very good year. I still don't think he'll earn his contract, but 15 points and 8-10 rebounds aren't out of the question at all.
I don't mind playing Murphy 30 minutes a game....but given our long history of injuries to the team and how adversely it has affected our game....I have concerns about increasing him to 35 minutes a game...especially if he is our only scoring PF.

IMHO.....if we have depth at key positions....then we should use it. I don't want to wear key players down and open up the possiblility to them becoming suspectible to injury. I have always felt that if we remain as injury free as possible that we can build consistency and remain competitive for the duration of the season.

Besides......the less minutes that Murphy plays....the more minutes that Hibbert can play in the Big Man rotation.

duke dynamite
10-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Would have been nice to give out a bottle to the fans who visited his abode. ; ^ P

Yeah, I was looking for the head vintner.

jhondog28
10-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Blanc?
Gris?
Grigio?
Noir?

noir....it is good stuff....hey duke I am going to the Dallas game down here at american airlines center I will try and get some pics for your collection. Doubt Larry brings any wine for the game. My guess is Cuban will try and get him drunk on his own and try and convince him to trade Granger for two bottles of Mad Dog 20/20.

duke dynamite
10-07-2008, 08:15 PM
noir....it is good stuff....hey duke I am going to the Dallas game down here at american airlines center I will try and get some pics for your collection. Doubt Larry brings any wine for the game. My guess is Cuban will try and get him drunk on his own and try and convince him to trade Granger for two bottles of Mad Dog 20/20.

Hey thanks!

Mark Cuban: The richest WINO in the world.