PDA

View Full Version : Trivial, yet enlightening info regarding Carlisle and Captain Jack...

ajbry
10-05-2008, 10:41 PM
http://www.examiner.com/x-441-Golden-State-Warriors-Examiner~y2008m10d5-If-Stephen-Jackson-is-the-face-of-the-Warriors-franchise-at-least-it-just-got-prettier

"On my lips, in my mouth, my teeth, all with no anesthesia. (Former Pacers coach) Rick Carlisle was holding my one hand and my wife was holding the other."

So, to sum it up... Carlisle DEFINITELY played favorites. To be with one of your players during surgery in such a manner is something that caught me really off guard.

avoidingtheclowns
10-05-2008, 10:55 PM
carlisle seems an odd choice to take into a surgery given his style. seems if you'd take a forner pacers coach into surgery, it'd be isiah thomas to run "the quick"

Cactus Jax
10-05-2008, 11:18 PM
I see Rick going in with a piano and playing it while Jax is laying there.

Naptown_Seth
10-06-2008, 12:09 AM
Like I've said all along, Rick liked Jack, they were obviously pretty close. Fans made way too much out of the "he doesn't respect him" thing with his emotions. In fact IMO what made Rick so good for guys like Jack and Ron is that he is the calm, cool type and gave them the counter influence to their gut instinct for emotional reaction.

I stand by it to this day, Rick salvaged the brawl season by staying cool. Larry Brown was flipping out while Rick's post game was much more relaxed and practical about going forward.

Some guys need rah-rah from the coach. Jack isn't one of them. He brings way more of that to the table than you even need.

I know he was prone to play stupid ball at times and I know his emotions crippled his production too, but at the same time I found a lot to like about him and his game. Frankly he's the kind of feisty temper that would have meshed perfectly with the rough and tumble 1970's roster/situation. Back then he could rough up a jerk in the stands and have a beer bought for him after the game since the guy had it coming to him.

rexnom
10-06-2008, 12:42 AM
Like I've said all along, Rick liked Jack, they were obviously pretty close. Fans made way too much out of the "he doesn't respect him" thing with his emotions. In fact IMO what made Rick so good for guys like Jack and Ron is that he is the calm, cool type and gave them the counter influence to their gut instinct for emotional reaction.

I stand by it to this day, Rick salvaged the brawl season by staying cool. Larry Brown was flipping out while Rick's post game was much more relaxed and practical about going forward.

Some guys need rah-rah from the coach. Jack isn't one of them. He brings way more of that to the table than you even need.

I know he was prone to play stupid ball at times and I know his emotions crippled his production too, but at the same time I found a lot to like about him and his game. Frankly he's the kind of feisty temper that would have meshed perfectly with the rough and tumble 1970's roster/situation. Back then he could rough up a jerk in the stands and have a beer bought for him after the game since the guy had it coming to him.
'Twas a simpler time.

count55
10-06-2008, 06:56 AM
OK...we should probably stop using "Jack" to refer to Jackson.

Alpolloloco
10-06-2008, 07:31 AM

Or better ... stop talking about Jacko at all!

FlavaDave
10-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Yeah, let's stick with SJax. I thought this was about Jarrett Jack, and I thought that it was really weird. Actually, this is pretty damn weird, too.

Calling in a former coach for a surgery would be odd regardless, but cosmetic dental surgery?!? They must be really close. I wouldn't call in my own best friend for that. And I have British teeth, so that day will come I'm sure.

CableKC
10-06-2008, 05:39 PM
Although this is nice to hear......this whole story reminds me of the Office Episode where Michael took Dwight to the Hospital when Dwight got a concussion. Michael ended up going with Dwight into the room where he got the MRI. Of course, Michael was still trying to get a 2nd opinion on his George Forman-Grilled foot by sticking it into the MRI machine. :laugh:

LG33
10-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Carlisle, meanwhile, did not invite SJax to his grill-fitting operation on Thursday.

Putnam
10-06-2008, 07:17 PM

Seconded.

Carlisle, meanwhile, did not invite SJax to his grill-fitting operation on Thursday.

Oh, boy, I hope Magic Rat gets inspired when he reads this. :devil:

ajbry
10-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Title edited, although if you see 'Jack' in the title and my name below it you can sure as hell bet that I ain't talking about Jarrett...

rexnom
10-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Title edited, although if you see 'Jack' in the title and my name below it you can sure as hell bet that I ain't talking about Jarrett...
Seriously, we can't figure it out by context?

count55
10-07-2008, 07:37 AM

BTW...forgot the smilie, but I was laughing (primarily at myself) when I typed it.

Seriously, we can't figure it out by context?

...you mean in the context of an Indiana Pacer website? ;)

JayRedd
10-07-2008, 11:11 PM
For those of you that are curious (read: nobody), my legend will be from here on out be: Cpt. Jack, Action and Jarrett.

rexnom
10-08-2008, 01:19 AM
For those of you that are curious (read: nobody), my legend will be from here on out be: Cpt. Jack, Action and Jarrett.
So after all your trouble, you're not even calling anybody Jack? That makes sense.