PDA

View Full Version : Amir Johnson is the starting PF for Detroit

Hicks
10-05-2008, 05:49 PM
Can't say I thought that was coming. Interesting.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081004/SPORTS0102/810040426/1127

Curry: Johnson is Pistons' starting power forward
Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

AUBURN HILLS -- Calling him a "welcome addition," coach Michael Curry made official Saturday what he's long been hinting at -- Amir Johnson, as of now, is the Pistons' starting power forward.

"Amir does things without having to have the ball," Curry said. "He's able to pick up baskets through his activity, by running the floor and playing off the other four guys. He does all the intangible things, and through that he's able to create offensive opportunities for himself."

How long Johnson holds onto the spot is completely up to him.

"I am glad I got the opportunity," Johnson said. "It's been a long time coming. I've been sitting on that bench for three years. I am ready to play."

Johnson, drafted No. 56 overall out of high school in 2005, has never started a regular-season game for the Pistons. He played in a career-high 62 games last season and in eight playoff games.

"I am comfortable out there now," he said. "I've been playing with these guys for four years. I play against all-stars in the summer in Vegas and in Los Angeles. Now is my chance, and I am very excited."

Curry was careful not to make any direct comparisons to former Piston Ben Wallace, but he believes Johnson can bring some of the same intangibles to the starting unit Wallace did.

"Ben could make a tremendous impact on a game without having any plays run for him. Amir is like Ben in that sense," Curry said. "Amir can impact a game by how he rebounds, he can impact on the speed in which we play, offensively and defensively. His presence will be a welcome addition to that group."

Johnson was flattered by the comparison, but like Curry, kept it in perspective.

"I just do the little stuff, the garbage can stuff," he said. "I get rebounds and putbacks. I know the other guys like to shoot, so every miss I am going to try and get every ball."

Johnson, at 6-feet-11, is heavier (230) and stronger than he's ever been, but the worry has always been whether he could hold his position defensively. Curry doesn't share that worry.

"We tell him, 'The best way you can handle guys stronger than you is to front the post and use your quickness,' " Curry said. "We just tell him to play to his strengths. Most of the guys that are stronger than him are usually stronger than most other guys, too. He might not be as strong as some, but they aren't going to be able to run with him or be as active as he is."

Kstat
10-05-2008, 06:25 PM
Can't say I thought that was coming.

I did.

Maxiell is a high-energy type player, but he's got a low defensive IQ and expends way too much energy to start.

McDyess is mr reliable with the jumper but is a step older and slower defensively.

Michael Curry said from day 1 that this team is going to be defensively minded. With that in mind, our two most defensively gifted big men are Rasheed and Amir Johnson. It was the logical choice.

Amir isn't much of a scorer,but we have two of those on our bench now. I've always beena big proponent of bringing in more offensively minded players off your bench and starting your best defensive players.

GrangerRanger
10-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Haha! 3 points a game. At least we can say that our starting PF isn't as bad as Johnson.

Hicks
10-05-2008, 06:29 PM
How do you feel about him fronting the post?

rexnom
10-05-2008, 06:32 PM
I have a good feeling about this Detroit team - I can't explain it, I just do.

Kstat
10-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Haha! 3 points a game.

He also blocks a shot every 9 minutes, tops in the entire league.

In case you didn't notice, our team isn't exactly barren offensively...

We've got quality scorers all over the frickin lineup. We need a guy that will block shots, defend and rebound.

Kstat
10-05-2008, 06:36 PM
How do you feel about him fronting the post?

Heh, missed that part.

Curry certainly loved to do that as a player. I really won't know how I feel about it until I see it in action from Amir.

Amir's the kind of player you like to have defending the perimeter. He'll be defending the other team's most perimeter-oriented big man every night, so i doubt he''ll be needing to front the post very often.

d_c
10-05-2008, 07:14 PM
It's the right move at the right time. Playing Maxiell too many minutes tires him, diminishes his advantage as an energy player and exposes the fact that he's undersized and not a really good rebounder. He's just way more effective coming off the bench.

Johnson is the guy who is starter material. Savy moves by Dumars both to draft him in the 2nd round and then sign him to an extension.

Kstat
10-05-2008, 07:16 PM
It's the right move at the right time. Playing Maxiell too many minutes tires him, diminishes his advantage as an energy player and exposes the fact that he's undersized and not a really good rebounder. He's just way more effective coming off the bench.

Agree.

GrangerRanger
10-05-2008, 07:21 PM
He also blocks a shot every 9 minutes, tops in the entire league.

In case you didn't notice, our team isn't exactly barren offensively...

We've got quality scorers all over the frickin lineup. We need a guy that will block shots, defend and rebound.

He played 12 minutes a game last year. Let's see him average 3 blocks a game when he plays in the thirties.

Kstat
10-05-2008, 07:24 PM
He played 12 minutes a game last year. Let's see him average 3 blocks a game when he plays in the thirties.

I also agree with that. He has to prove his insane stats can be stretched out over 20-30 minutes. He doesn't really have stamina issues, though. He's a freak athlete that never really got consistent minutes under Flip.

His defense has been awesome every time I've seen him, though.

SoupIsGood
10-05-2008, 07:28 PM
I drafted him hoping this would happen. Allllright. I hope Amir blows up and has an insane career. It'd also be nice if he could earn a F/C listing.

ajbry
10-05-2008, 07:48 PM
I've really been looking forward to seeing when Amir would get his shot and this is the perfect opportunity for him...

And additionally, their depth in the frontcourt is excellent so they'll be solid regardless.