PDA

View Full Version : Croshere on WNDE....

Smoothdave1
10-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Didn't see that anyone posted this, but Croshere was just on WNDE the Drive w/ JMV this week. A few notes from the interview:

-- He approached Larry about returning and they brought him in and he worked out for O'Brien and the coaching staff and they brought him to camp

-- Had a few offers to go elsewhere for camp, but wanted to be in Indy

-- Notes he still lives here during the summers with his wife and 3 kids

-- Said he felt his game really suited the offense O'Brien runs and is looking to contribute any way he can

-- Last year was the first year he had never made the playoffs in his career and talked about coming back to Indy as an opposing player and seeing Conseco half empty and he can remember just a few years ago when that was not the case

-- When asked about his future in basketball, he reiterated his desire to work for the Pacers after his career ends and noted Indy was home for he and his family

Overall, a pretty good interview. Croshere is a very likable guy and I would love to see him work for the Pacers in some capacity once his career comes to a close.

Here's a link to the podcast in case you're interested: http://wnde.com/main.html (intereview is right on the front page)

aero
10-04-2008, 02:35 PM
He's always been a class act. I remember when he left he took out a full page ad in the Star thanking the fans for everything. Id like to see him make the team...i was thinking he might not make it but who knows.

We need more likable guys like Austin.

Roaming Gnome
10-04-2008, 02:44 PM
-- Last year was the first year he had never made the playoffs in his career and talked about coming back to Indy as an opposing player and seeing Conseco half empty and he can remember just a few years ago when that was not the case

-- When asked about his future in basketball, he reiterated his desire to work for the Pacers after his career ends and noted Indy was home for he and his family

I know that I was critical on your return here, but it's stuff like this that make it hard for me to be critical.

Welcome Home!

Anthem
10-04-2008, 03:42 PM
I know that I was critical on your return here, but it's stuff like this that make it hard for me to be critical.

Welcome Home!
Agreed.

It's really easy to like Croshere as a person, especially if he's not taking Hibbert's minutes.

Doddage
10-04-2008, 04:44 PM
It's good to know that he feels strongly about this franchise enough to still want to be here despite our attendance issues, reputation around the league, and our lack of playoff hopes. Anyone like that is more than welcome to join the team, in my book. You don't see the loyalty that guys like Foster and Croshere have that often.

Naptown_Seth
10-04-2008, 05:31 PM
The only problem with Croshere was the amount of his contract. Other than that he was great. At times he was pretty aggressive on the glass and usually he could be counted on from the arc as well. If he hadn't been paid like a main starter and for so long there wouldn't have been a complaint against him by most fans.

ABADays
10-04-2008, 06:46 PM
There was nothing ever wrong with Austin other than the contract that was offered to him. He represented this franchise with class and dignity and I always felt he gave it his all. When others "degrade" the franchise and the city it's telling that he wants to be here. I'm sure after he retires a Pacer he would represent the front office just as well.

Pacers
10-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Agreed.

It's really easy to like Croshere as a person, especially if he's not taking Hibbert's minutes.

Yeah, and it's much easier to like Croshere as a player when he's not making 10 Mil a season. ;)

Anthem
10-05-2008, 12:12 AM
The only problem with Croshere was the amount of his contract. Other than that he was great. At times he was pretty aggressive on the glass and usually he could be counted on from the arc as well. If he hadn't been paid like a main starter and for so long there wouldn't have been a complaint against him by most fans.
Well, kinda. It all started with the contract but it didn't end there.

Because he made so much money, he felt the need to be more of a scorer than he was. His hustle disappeared, and his rebounding was never really very good. In his best season ever he got just over 5 per game. The guy is at his best as a scrapper, not a go-to guy. He forgot that.

The bigger problem was that team execs wanted to get something for their money, so Austin got burn ahead of better players. He'd flunk back to third string, then get bumped up for no reason when it sunk in that we had an $8mil player on the end of the bench.

But he's a great guy and it's not his fault he got monopoly money.

ABADays
10-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Well, kinda. It all started with the contract but it didn't end there.

Because he made so much money, he felt the need to be more of a scorer than he was. His hustle disappeared, and his rebounding was never really very good. In his best season ever he got just over 5 per game. The guy is at his best as a scrapper, not a go-to guy. He forgot that.

The bigger problem was that team execs wanted to get something for their money, so Austin got burn ahead of better players. He'd flunk back to third string, then get bumped up for no reason when it sunk in that we had an $8mil player on the end of the bench.

But he's a great guy and it's not his fault he got monopoly money.

Don't forget IT's yo-yo game with him.

Bball
10-05-2008, 01:06 PM
I've never understood why people dislike their own players over the contract that they are given. If management overpays a player that is a mark against management. Players need to continue to play to the best of their ability, be good teammates, do what the coach asks to the best of their ability, be good representatives of the team, and understand their role (even if it changes).

While it might suck to have a player paid to be a starter (or even face of the franchise) not living up to expectations, the problems that concern me (as far as players go) is their commitment to the team.... the contract is far down the list (although high on the list as a strike against management).

-Bball

juadam09
10-05-2008, 05:43 PM
I agree with Bball.

I think a lot of people forget we were not the only team to offer Croshere that contract.

Sure it is easy to see we should have let another team have him, but in the same breath if we do that and he comes out and puts up monster numbers everyone is calling for TPTB's heads for being "cheap"

Los Angeles
10-05-2008, 06:15 PM
I've never understood why people dislike their own players over the contract that they are given. If management overpays a player that is a mark against management. Players need to continue to play to the best of their ability, be good teammates, do what the coach asks to the best of their ability, be good representatives of the team, and understand their role (even if it changes).

While it might suck to have a player paid to be a starter (or even face of the franchise) not living up to expectations, the problems that concern me (as far as players go) is their commitment to the team.... the contract is far down the list (although high on the list as a strike against management).

-Bball
And for the reasons you describe, Croshere remains popular with many fans. That guy represents everything that a pro athlete should be. If he had the raw talent to match his professionalism, he would have been a bargain and a TRUE face of the franchise.

Squirrelz
10-05-2008, 11:47 PM
I hope he makes the team.

PacerGuy
10-06-2008, 08:14 PM
I hope he makes the team.

Why?
I have been reading everyone trying so hard to find Cro a spot ever sense Larry mentioned he was at camp, but I dont know why? Nastalgia? I like the guy, don't het me wrong, but I just do not see him as a fit here at all.

Pros:
-He is a Nice Guy.
-He would provide a Veteran Presence.
-He is Fan Friendly.
-He would be Cheap.
Cons:
-He is yet another defensive liability.
-He is too small & non-physical for the 4, to slow & un-athletic for the 3.
-He plays positions where we have good, young depth.
-He is now only a spot-up set-shooter w/ a very slow release.
-He would be contract #17 (18 if the trade goes as stated).
-His PT over Rush/Hibbert/Williams, means they don't grow & we dont learn.
-No upside

If you want to sign him, fine, but sign him to a spot on the bench w/ the coaching staff. Let him work in the community. Let him teach free-throws & 3pt shooting, but don't give him a uniform & play him. Cro is a good guy, but we have other needs, & have other contracts that take priority over him. On a purely Basketball needs basis, Cro is not a need for us.

ABADays
10-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Why?
I have been reading everyone trying so hard to find Cro a spot ever sense Larry mentioned he was at camp, but I dont know why? Nastalgia? I like the guy, don't het me wrong, but I just do not see him as a fit here at all.

Pros:
-He is a Nice Guy.
-He would provide a Veteran Presence.
-He is Fan Friendly.
-He would be Cheap.
Cons:
-He is yet another defensive liability.
-He is too small & non-physical for the 4, to slow & un-athletic for the 3.
-He plays positions where we have good, young depth.
-He is now only a spot-up set-shooter w/ a very slow release.
-He would be contract #17 (18 if the trade goes as stated).
-His PT over Rush/Hibbert/Williams, means they don't grow & we dont learn.
-No upside

If you want to sign him, fine, but sign him to a spot on the bench w/ the coaching staff. Let him work in the community. Let him teach free-throws & 3pt shooting, but don't give him a uniform & play him. Cro is a good guy, but we have other needs, & have other contracts that take priority over him. On a purely Basketball needs basis, Cro is not a need for us.

For what is going to make I will take his free throw shooting and his leadership. A bargain.

El Pacero
10-07-2008, 12:09 AM
I like Croshere and agree.

Croshere continues impressive camp

The player the Pacers dealt to Dallas to acquire Daniels in July 2006 is also having an impressive camp. Austin Croshere is still fighting an uphill battle for a roster spot because he doesn't have a guaranteed contract, but he's making the climb.

"He's doing great, every phase of the game," said O'Brien. "He's a true professional. He knows exactly what we're trying to accomplish, shooting the ball great. We're working with him on his vision as a passer up top. He tends to have a little bit of tunnel-vision and stares down the guys that he wants to pass to but that's coming. He's in great condition. He's going to be a guy that's very valuable, I think."

To keep Croshere, the Pacers would have to somehow trim, either by release or trade, two guaranteed contracts from the roster. Ordinarily, that's a prohibitive obstacle but O'Brien believes Croshere is in the process of hurdling it.

"Yes he is," O'Brien said. "He's just playing at a very high level. It's going to give (team President) Larry (Bird) much to think about."

With Troy Murphy sidelined by a sore left Achilles tendon, Croshere has taken advantage of the additional opportunity for time at power forward. His knack for 3-point shooting fits right into O'Brien's profile for a power forward.

"I'm happy with the way it's gone," Croshere said. "It's a good offense for me. I think my strengths over my career will help me in the offense we have. With Troy being out I've gotten a lot of reps and opportunities to show the coaching staff what I can do and that's all I can ask for."

Good words about Daniels, too:
http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5800011567

PacerGuy
10-07-2008, 12:24 AM
I like Croshere and agree.

Croshere continues impressive camp

http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5800011567

Bla...Bla...Bla...
This just in:
-Tinsley is in best shape in history of mand kind.
-Daniels knees are like those of Superman's as a teenager.
-JO is becoming a world leader who inspires men, inspires poets, & is healthy.

It all sounds good, but when it comes time to walk the talk.....