PDA

View Full Version : Peter Vecsey on 1070; Defends Jamaal, Discusses Trade Options

Kuq_e_Zi91
10-03-2008, 06:42 AM
http://www.1070thefan.com/kravitzandeddie/podcast.aspx

Very interesting interview. He defends Jamaal, saying he's a good player and person. Mentions the incident he had with O'Brien. Mentions Denver, Miami, and GS as trading options.

Roaming Gnome
10-03-2008, 07:13 AM
Damn, that was a good interview, reguardless of my signature.

If it is true that we could do a deal with Denver for Chucky Atkins (2 years) and Stephen Hunter (1 year)....Why not? It's not a sexy deal, but 2 shorter contracts.

QuickRelease
10-03-2008, 07:19 AM
Damn, that was a good interview, reguardless of my signature.

If it is true that we could do a deal with Denver for Chucky Atkins (2 years) and Stephen Hunter (1 year)....Why not? It's not a sexy deal, but 2 shorter contracts.

Throw in a 2nd rounder and I guess I'm in.

QuickRelease
10-03-2008, 07:20 AM
Interesting! Nellie was the one that said no to Tinsley going to Golden State. Did he say Jamaal would play very good defense alongside Iverson?

Kuq_e_Zi91
10-03-2008, 07:26 AM
Yeah, agreed on the deal. Our only problem is one Mr. Rex Chapman.

I'm not really one to bash Tinsley. I liked him as a Pacer when many fans didn't. I still do, but I understand we have moved on. I don't see a better place for him than Denver, for the reasons Vecsey mentioned. He would be the perfect fit there with AI and Melo. I would guess the only thing holding this up is the salary. I don't see Denver dumping Camby for nothing only to come back and add another contract like that.

Here's hoping Vecsey has a word with the Nuggets. :pray:

QuickRelease
10-03-2008, 07:32 AM
When did the Pacers replace David Craig and Kathy Jordan?

Dr. Goldfoot
10-03-2008, 10:10 AM
Interesting that the "run-in" between Tinsley & JOB was JT riding Danny too hard.

McKeyFan
10-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Man, did my respect for Vescey go down.

This is clearly sour grapes regarding his friend Donnie Walsh possibly beginning to look bad with the transition.

All he can say about Bird's work on the point guard fix is that it was maybe okay.

He also moans and groans about a couple of staffers being let go. Can't a man put his own people in? (The trainer was suspect anyway.)

Sounds to me like Donnie was the big Jamaal lover, and maybe Bird was ready to get rid of him a lot sooner. Bird certainly didn't care for JO as much as Donnie.

Anyway, Bird is making real moves, acting like a man. Let's see what the results are, and I don't think someone on the inside and with a mike like Vescey, whose comments can cause real harm, should be blabbing so much right now. Wait a year or two at least. (He even brought up the players union, stirring up potential trouble for us. Thanks Pete.)

He is showing himself quite classless, in my opinion.

ChicagoJ
10-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Nice interview - refreshing to hear Vecsey's insight and good to hear that Donnie is doing well in spite of the cancer.

The discussion at the end on the ABA and Hall of Fame is excellent.

Slick for the HoF!! Go, Bob, Go!

JayRedd
10-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Great stuff.

Not sure how you could possibly take anything Peter Vecsey said as classless when he's a guest on their show and just doing his job -- at their request -- of reporting the news he has heard from NBA people and giving his completely valid opinions on an NBA team.

McKeyFan
10-03-2008, 12:25 PM
I guess you have to determine when he has his analyst hat on and when he takes it off and has his friend of Donnie hat on.

As a friend of Donnie, his comments are classless, imo. It's mixing his personal agenda with the professional.

Maybe biased is a better word than classless.

ChicagoJ
10-03-2008, 12:48 PM
He is a columnist giving an interview. He's supposed to be biased. That's been his entire schtick for three decades. He's supposed to break some news as an "insider", defend his friends/ sources, and make his non-friends/ sources look goofy. Every column takes that same format.

McKeyFan
10-03-2008, 12:51 PM
He is a columnist giving an interview. He's supposed to be biased. That's been his entire schtick for three decades. He's supposed to break some news as an "insider", defend his friends/ sources, and make his non-friends/ sources look goofy. Every column takes that same format.

Gotcha.

Then I'm baised too. I just don't him.

ChicagoJ
10-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Sounds good to me. He's my favorite - sure he's wrong sometimes but it is always entertaining and informative, with a nice ABA bias at times that I can relate to (since he and Costas are probably the two highest-profile guys that covered the ABA even though they weren't high profile at the time). I can see the appeal and I can see why others can't stand him.

d_c
10-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Sounds good to me. He's my favorite - sure he's wrong sometimes but it is always entertaining and informative, with a nice ABA bias at times that I can relate to (since he and Costas are probably the two highest-profile guys that covered the ABA even though they weren't high profile at the time). I can see the appeal and I can see why others can't stand him.

I agree. People take this stuff a little too seriously sometimes and I think they should just look at a guy like Vescey as a source of entertainment.

Vescey just entertains and stirs the pot. Take his stuff for what it's worth. Maybe he was flat out wrong that a Tinsley deal was done, but it's a pretty good chance that it's at least been discussed.

The only guy I find truly annoying is John Hollinger, who bases practically everything in life on his little PER formula and very little on anything else.

ChicagoJ
10-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Yeah, Hollinger is clearly the worst of all of them. He knows no insiders, doesn't watch the game, and he just does goofy math formulas.

aero
10-03-2008, 01:59 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3623836

Denver is saying this deal isnt happening....

Kuq_e_Zi91
10-03-2008, 02:20 PM
http://www.1070thefan.com/insider/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10009861

This gives a good update of what has happened through out the day regarding the trade. It also has an interview with O'Brien. He talks about the work being done in camp today. Regarding the possible trade, "that situation Larry and David are handling."

CableKC
10-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Interesting.......the blog suggests that it was Tinsley that is Vescey's source....which kind of makes sense.

Roaming Gnome
10-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Deal? :rip:

maragin
10-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the link. I thought PV handled himself better than I would have imagined. He made a few good points, properly said what he did and didn't know, and offered his own opinions.

grace
10-03-2008, 03:01 PM

He defends Jamaal, saying he's a good player and person.

Once upon a time I considered myself one of Jamaal's biggest fans/defenders. It's nice to see that someone can still do it, because I can't.

Hicks
10-03-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm finally listening to this, and he said Jamaal was a good/great? defender who would take on whoever Iverson could not take on D. Really. Really.

JayRedd
10-03-2008, 03:39 PM
I'm finally listening to this, and he said Jamaal was a good/great? defender who would take on whoever Iverson could not take on D. Really. Really.

I believe the exact words were "could play great defense"...but, yeah, that is a clear bias towards guy he likes.

Bball
10-04-2008, 01:51 AM
"Peter? ...This is Larry... Larry Bird. ...Bird! Eddie's brother! Yeah... Listen, I was wondering if you could help us tweak the market for Tinsley. We're just getting nowhere as it is. Maybe you could paint us as the bad guys and how great Jamaal is. Yeah, team player. ....Jeesh, I don't know about calling him a great defender. Well, whatever you think. Just get his name in ink and on the air with some positive comments. Remember, you help us do this and it's shrimp and steak from St Elmos my treat! ....I thought that would get your attention!"

McKeyFan
10-04-2008, 12:14 PM
"Peter? ...This is Larry... Larry Bird. ...Bird! Eddie's brother! Yeah... Listen, I was wondering if you could help us tweak the market for Tinsley. We're just getting nowhere as it is. Maybe you could paint us as the bad guys and how great Jamaal is. Yeah, team player. ....Jeesh, I don't know about calling him a great defender. Well, whatever you think. Just get his name in ink and on the air with some positive comments. Remember, you help us do this and it's shrimp and steak from St Elmos my treat! ....I thought that would get your attention!"

Funny.

I did think of that angle. But after listening to the interview, I think there's a bit of a Walsh-Bird wedge that we are just now starting to learn about. Vescey is revealing it.

Speed
10-04-2008, 12:21 PM
I just listened to the Wells interview on 1070 on Friday. They talked about the Pacers may have to pay 3 million of Tinsley contract as part of the deal, just speculation. They didn't know if it was 3 million each following year or just a single year.

The way I originally looked at it, it was trading 21 million for about 11 million, but if there are other provisions like paying part of Tinsley's contract then that changes things a bit.

Maybe that is part of the hold up.

The interview is half way down the page.

Will Galen
10-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Funny.

I did think of that angle. But after listening to the interview, I think there's a bit of a Walsh-Bird wedge that we are just now starting to learn about. Vescey is revealing it.

How did you ever arrive at that conclusion? Peter's own words were, "Donnie Walsh loves Larry Bird."

What the conversation revealed is Peter doesn't like how Larry runs things. I.E. Firing David Craig, etc.

Will Galen
10-04-2008, 12:30 PM
I just listened to the Wells interview on 1070 on Friday. They talked about the Pacers may have to pay 3 million of Tinsley contract as part of the deal, just speculation. They didn't know if it was 3 million each following year or just a single year.

The way I originally looked at it, it was trading 21 million for about 11 million, but if there are other provisions like paying part of Tinsley's contract then that changes things a bit.

The interview is half way down the page.

You can include up to $3m in any trade, so it would have to be a one time thing.

Hicks
10-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Funny.

I doubt it. Bird was handpicked by Walsh AFTER they'd already previously worked together for 3 years. I don't believe for a second that's the problem. I think Vescey loves Walsh, but doesn't like Bird.

McKeyFan
10-04-2008, 02:29 PM
How did you ever arrive at that conclusion? Peter's own words were, "Donnie Walsh loves Larry Bird."

What the conversation revealed is Peter doesn't like how Larry runs things. I.E. Firing David Craig, etc.

Well, you can love people and hate them all at the same time.

And there's such a thing as buttering someone up for the kill (Vescey's real feelings).

So I don't think Vescey's caveat means anything.

But I can see a cooling off over time with Bird and Donnie. I mean, look at the immediate changes Bird has made. If Donnie indeed was the one procrastinating on JO and Tins, you can see why he might grow frustrated with Walsh over time.

But maybe not. Maybe Bird and Donnie are fine, but Vescey is just griping on behalf of his friend.

But, I still gotta say, I did not like the tone of Vescey's interview at all. Truthfully, it also gives me hope that Bird has good instincts, Donnie has been holding him back, and we might just see more and more good things happen.

count55
10-04-2008, 02:44 PM

You can include up to $3m in any trade, so it would have to be a one time thing.

As Will says, you can include up to $3 million in cash considerations in a trade. However, the statement "paying part of Tinsley's salary" is actually misleading here.

The cash is simply cash. The Nuggets would have to pay 100% of Tinsley's salary, and it would be 100% on their cap. The $3mm the Pacers could send them would offset part of that expense. "Paying someone's salary" implies that they are still on the payroll, and that would be inaccurate.

Bball
10-04-2008, 02:53 PM
I doubt it. Bird was handpicked by Walsh AFTER they'd already previously worked together for 3 years. I don't believe for a second that's the problem. I think Vescey loves Walsh, but doesn't like Bird.

You can respect/like someone on many different levels yet still have disagreements on other levels. To say there was a difference of opinion between Bird and Walsh on what the Pacers needed to be doing doesn't mean that they couldn't be happier to be in each other's company.

-Bball