PDA

View Full Version : Josh Powell

McKeyFan
10-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Offseason question of curiosity:

If Josh Powell were still here, do you think he would have helped us with our need for low post scoring?

CableKC
10-02-2008, 12:03 PM
In terms of effectiveness, I'm guessing that he would have been closer to being a Jeff Foster-type player as opposed to a Young JONeal-type player.

I read on ClubLakers that Phil Jackson was impressed by the rebounding/energy that he provided. He's probably an acceptable Low-Post scorer ( likely better then Foster )....but I doubt that he would hav been the answer that we are looking for.

With that said....I wouldn't have minded having another Jeff Foster type player on the roster.

Speed
10-02-2008, 01:00 PM
I see him like a Udonis Haslem type, but not nearly as good.

Not good enough to be better than 14th or 15th man on an average team.

ChicagoJ
10-02-2008, 01:26 PM
He's played 2000 minutes in his career. In terms of 14th/15th men, he would have a slight leg up on Baston, especially since he's younger, but probably shouldn't be expected to contribute much.

Although, I thought he showed a lot of promise/ potential, my guess is that he's pretty easy to scout and defend once he's shown "both" of his moves.

ChicagoJ
10-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Wait, are you asking if he would have helped our offseason/ summer league team's need for low post scoring?

Probably. I would think he's above average for a summer league player.

Speed
10-02-2008, 01:33 PM
I JO touted him and liked his game when he was first here, but JO didn't/doesn't like contact and I think Powell was semi physical so JO probably thought he was better than he was.

!Pacers-Fan!
10-02-2008, 11:02 PM
no f'ing way...

LoneGranger33
10-02-2008, 11:37 PM
I'm telling you, the guy we should have gotten was James Singleton. Dude belongs in the NBA.

MillerTime
03-24-2009, 10:19 PM
I dont understand why we didnt sign Powell when he was on the waivers (like the Lakers picked him up). WHen he played in Indy (for the short time), he did pretty well coming off the bench.

I think we should have picked him up for the min off the waivers when we had the chance. Im not saying hes our savior, but he definitely could have been a guy we looked for to provide key mins off the bench.

Anthem
03-24-2009, 10:38 PM
Did you really just bump a 5-month thread to talk about Josh Powell?

I mean, yeah. I liked him too. But I wouldn't play him in front of McBob, let alone Foster and Murph.

MillerTime
03-24-2009, 11:26 PM
Did you really just bump a 5-month thread to talk about Josh Powell?

I mean, yeah. I liked him too. But I wouldn't play him in front of McBob, let alone Foster and Murph.

I was going to start a new thread about him, but I found this one.

Some people have have issues when a new thread is started about a topic that already existed and, I guess now, people have issues with using threads that are already existing. Its a lose-lose situation

rexnom
03-25-2009, 12:29 AM
I was going to start a new thread about him, but I found this one.

Some people have have issues when a new thread is started about a topic that already existed and, I guess now, people have issues with using threads that are already existing. Its a lose-lose situation
:laugh: Don't you love our forum? Don't worry...I think you did the right thing with this. The Powell thing is a legitimate question, I think.

EDIT: To add to this, any player who can play around 20 minutes for a championship contender is a guy worth picking up off of waivers. Now I don't think that they'll let go of him because he's great Bynum insurance.

MillerTime
03-25-2009, 12:44 AM
:laugh: Don't you love our forum? Don't worry...I think you did the right thing with this. The Powell thing is a legitimate question, I think.

THank you

Slick Pinkham
03-25-2009, 12:51 AM
The Josh Powell and James White-type players sure do get a lot of attention. We may need a Bruno Sundov thread. Would he fill a void the "big stiff" area? ;)

MillerTime
03-25-2009, 03:55 AM
The Josh Powell and James White-type players sure do get a lot of attention. We may need a Bruno Sundov thread. Would he fill a void the "big stiff" area? ;)

What separates Powell from White is that he actually gets mins and produces

MillerTime
03-25-2009, 05:54 AM
Another guy I wanted to mention was Fred Jones. He had a great few years in Indy before Toronto threw all that money at him and left.

I think Powell and Jones would have been great contributors to our lineup. I would easily put Powell in the lineup before Baston and would put Jones in the lineup before Graham.

count55
03-25-2009, 06:22 AM
I dont understand why we didnt sign Powell when he was on the waivers (like the Lakers picked him up). WHen he played in Indy (for the short time), he did pretty well coming off the bench.

I think we should have picked him up for the min off the waivers when we had the chance. Im not saying hes our savior, but he definitely could have been a guy we looked for to provide key mins off the bench.

When the Clippers waived Powell on July 30th, we had 16 players with guaranteed contracts. When the Lakers signed Powell on August 14th, we had 16 players with guaranteed contracts.

Another guy I wanted to mention was Fred Jones. He had a great few years in Indy before Toronto threw all that money at him and left.

I think Powell and Jones would have been great contributors to our lineup. I would easily put Powell in the lineup before Baston and would put Jones in the lineup before Graham.

He had a pedestrian few years in Indy, largely distinguishing himself by not being Tayshaun Prince and not being able to go to his left.

When it came time to extend his rookie contract, the Pacers indicated they really weren't interested. Then, the next summer, they confirmed they really weren't interested by renouncing his rights.

Toronto signed him to a relatively small contract (only 2 years guaranteed at a little over $3mm per year), then traded him midseason to Portland, who then used him as cap filler the following summer in the Randolph-to-Knicks trade. After his contract expired, he went unemployed until he signed a 10-day contract with the Clips. While he's earned a contract for the rest of the year, he's been, again, mediocre at best.

idioteque
03-25-2009, 09:25 AM
I was never a fan of Fred Jones, I was disappointed the day that we drafted him, even though I didn't see Tayshaun Prince as any type of answer, either.

I liked Josh Powell, but now that we have McBob, I don't see a need for a player of his type on our roster. I guess I would take Powell over Baston any day but McBob makes him redundant.

OakMoses
03-25-2009, 09:29 AM
I'm telling you, the guy we should have gotten was James Singleton. Dude belongs in the NBA.

Check the date on this comment. LG seems pretty smart.

Justin Tyme
03-25-2009, 10:33 AM
How ironical this thread was bumped, b/c I was thinking earlier this morning of mentioning his play with the Lakers. I liked JP and have kept and eye on him since he left the Pacers. I have noticed that he's getting about 20 minutes a game with Bynum injured and is producing for the Lakers. He scored in double figures last night, and he has been playing well for the Lakers the last 20 or so games.

He would never have developed here b/c Carlisle and O'Brien wouldn't have played him. He's in a great position at the present time with the Lakers. I'm sure 86 and Seth would say he's one of those type players you can get "anywhere", but I'd rather have him than McBob b/c of the valuable experience he has gotten playing for the Lakers. No offense to McBob, but I don't ever see him playing 20 minutes a game when needed for a leading championship contender. Supposedly Phil Jackson likes him, so that is a plus as well. He's the type role player teams need who can play and produces at a cheap price. JMOAA

Dr. Goldfoot
03-25-2009, 10:51 AM
Powell is a dime a dozen player in this league. I like the guy and he's put up decent numbers when needed (esp for the lowly Clippers last season). The problem is he only gets used when needed. The Pacers should be looking for players guys like Powell & McRoberts back up.... not more guys like them.

duke dynamite
03-25-2009, 01:39 PM
Josh Powell was just trade filler if you ask me. No better than Rawle Marshall or Courtney Sims (That is even if he gets signed with a team).

As for Fred Jones, I felt like he had more of a false sense of accomplishment than most players of his talent level.