PDA

View Full Version : Should we use JO to help get Tmac?

ROCislandWarrior
06-17-2004, 10:30 PM
A few of us have already started talking about thisand I think it deserves it's own thread.

Can/Should the Pacers use JO to help get Tmac? And How?

This would somehow involve JO contacting Tmac and telling him "something"...I know most people are going to have different ideas about what that "something" should be.

Suave stated that JO should tell Tmac to demand a Trade to the Pacers and that Ron Artest can't be included.

I suggested that JO should tell Tmac to tell the Magic the Pacers is the only team he will resign with. That way, the other teams won't gut their roster for a 1 year rental so their offers will be low.

Then Donnie and Larry can throw a package of Al/Jon on the table and the Magic will be all but forced to take it. If they don't, they will either:

a) Lose Tmac to FA next year
b) Be offered a trade for much much less value

The Magic IMO are so worried about having a repeat of the Shaq incident that they will take what we give them.

PacersFan
06-17-2004, 11:04 PM
I actually think that would be a good idea because I really don't want to trade Artest and us not be able to guard the strongest offensive player on the other teams as well as we do now.

JOneal7
06-18-2004, 12:05 AM
of course! Tmac should play hardball here...JO should tell him to demand a trade or say he'll walk next season! LOL

Unclebuck
06-18-2004, 12:21 AM
When I first read the title of this thread, I thought you were asking whether we should trade J.O for T-Mac

Bball
06-18-2004, 02:26 AM
What if JO wants Artest gone? Last summer that was the report.

-Bball

able
06-18-2004, 06:54 AM
What if JO wants Artest gone? Last summer that was the report.

-Bball

Then Artest is as good as gone.

Of course it will depend on the return value, but management will not risk their franchise player over the antics of any other player on the roster.

Now in essence this topic is something I brought up elsewhere, and the main question is not "will JO call TMac" (with whatever message) but far more:
"How much influence does JO have on trades and signings?"

By this I do not mean that JO has a real "vote" in the matter, but do you think management (LB & DW) includes JO in their talks when discussing for instance a trade option like the TMac one, is he asked about the ramifications from his pov?
If so then it is easy to imagine the talk:

"LB/DW: JO we have this option, it costs that, you think it helps the team, can you live with it and/or would that make you happy if we went that route?
JO: well i think if we lose that, then it would improve the team drastically, you help him out with getting what he wanted, we're losing a disturbing focal point in the lockerroom and in all I would be happy if the trade could be done that way, I could live with the second option and I think the 3d option would be bad for the team's chemistry.
LB/DW: OK now you know this geezer rather well, think it would be helpfull if you gave him a call and asked him about his intentions, his feelings, what would he think of such a trade and would he support our bid with his organization?
JO: Yeah can do, lemme do right now, so you can listen in......."

Suaveness
06-18-2004, 09:11 AM
yeah I read that, but I was thinking more along the lines of JO actually talking to T-Mac. Calling him. Meeting him. Whatever.

If Jo wants artest gone, then whatever. But if he WANTS him to stay, don't yuo think that would be a good idea?

JOneal7
06-18-2004, 10:21 AM
CALL MACKIN JO!

Slick Pinkham
06-18-2004, 10:24 AM
I don't think TMac will tell them it's Indiana or nothing. There are other good spots for him too.

But they are friends and do have the same agent, so I'm sure they are talking.

bulletproof
06-18-2004, 10:46 AM
Of all the teams that McGrady has reported to be interested in, the Pacers are the "closest" to winning a championship. And I'm sure like any player of his talent, he has the ego to match. In other words, he may be thinking that he's the person who can put the Pacers over the top. I gotta imagine that JO and McGrady have talked about this. I also have to believe that once the rumors started heating up about McGrady coming here, JO put a call into his agent or management to inquire about it.

However, I don't think management would have JO do their bidding. They are capable enough to handle this on their own and that would unlike Donnie to have JO "make a call for them."

Also, I don't think Donnie and Larry are frothing at the mouth to make this deal. If they can swing it without giving up too much, they might try to make it happen. Donnie is shrewd and cool when it comes to this kind of thing.

By the way, if Al is part of the deal for McGrady and Ron isn't, don't be surprised to see Ron dealt in a separate trade for some size. Something tells me he's gone regardless.

dipperdunk
06-18-2004, 01:39 PM
I don't think Walsh or Bird would do it; TMac is not a free agent and is still the property of the Magic if the league found out that Pacers management persuaded JO to talk to TMac then the Pacers could get into some serious trouble for tampering. I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the rule and players talk all the time but if the league found a connection between Pacers management and JO being convinced to talk to TMac while he is still under contract with the Magic then they would impose a stiff penalty(loss of picks etc.).

Snickers
06-18-2004, 03:05 PM
Yeah, I think that's got a hint of tampering to it. But from what I hear, JO and Rick are the two guys really pushing for Tmac, so I'm sure Jermaine's involved in some capacity.