PDA

View Full Version : Heart problem surfaces for Raptor Jawai

Speed
09-29-2008, 07:55 PM
http://www.thestar.com/Sports/NBA/article/508476

Nathan Jawai will not take part in Raptor training camp after routine tests showed a cardiac problem.

The Raptors said Monday that “as a result of concerns raised during routine pre-season cardiac screening” the rookie centre won’t be on the court in Ottawa on Tuesday when training camp begins.

The 6-10, 280-pound Jawai will have further tests later this week before the team’s medical staff will allow him on the court.

Jawai, a native of Australia who was the Raptors’ second-round draft pick last June, has been in Toronto since late August taking part in informal workouts at the Air Canada Centre. However, as part of the official opening of training camp, he was put through an exhaustive examination yesterday where the cardiac issues came to light.

The 21-year-old (Jawai will turn 22 on Oct. 10) was chosen 41st overall in last June’s draft. He was originally selected by the Indiana Pacers but was traded to Toronto in a pre-arranged transaction.

Jawai wasn’t being counted on as a significant contributor the Raptors this season. However, president and general manager Bryan Colangelo spoke glowingly about his potential at Monday’s media day.

--------
Sad, if his career is over. He seemed like a good guy when he came in for the pre draft workou.

GO!!!!!
09-29-2008, 09:20 PM
Wow... thats terrible news really, I have watched him last season in the NBL down here and he some game, raw but has potential, I was hoping he would play atleast 5-10 MPG but now this...

I hope it works out ok and it's just a double check..

MillerTime
09-30-2008, 02:43 AM
This is horrible news for the Raps. If JO goes, theyre only going to have Bragnani and Humphries left as their big men (besides Bosh). Theyre most likely going to have to start Bosh and Bragnani and have Humphries comes off the bench

Oneal07
10-01-2008, 12:03 AM
That's why Raptors signed Jamal Sampson I think his name is. For insurance purposed. I like Jawai, I know he'll be alright

Haggard
10-01-2008, 12:13 AM
I've seen Jawai play a bit last year and he's only going to get better but yeah.. How many times do you hear about bigs having heart problems.

Oneal07
10-01-2008, 12:22 AM
Turiaf came back Hard. . .One of my favorite NBA players