PDA

View Full Version : Pacers in HD on FSN?

Hicks
09-28-2008, 10:48 PM
As I recall, there is an HD version of FSNMW or FSNI listed on some cable/satellite listings, but little or no content appears on it

Furthermore, I think I remember somebody hinting that they knew something about the Pacers games going HD.

Does anyone else remember any of this?

Can anyone elaborate on the possibility of Pacer games being in HD?

croz24
09-28-2008, 11:38 PM
at least once every saturday that fsnmw hd channel shows a college football game. i highly doubt any pacers games will be shown on that channel however. it MIGHT get 100 viewers on a game by game basis this year. not worth it for fsn imo.

tora tora
09-29-2008, 12:12 AM
Directv has a bunch of HD channels that don't have anything in HD yet. I doubt it, but anything is possible.

Bball
09-29-2008, 12:31 AM
at least once every saturday that fsnmw hd channel shows a college football game. i highly doubt any pacers games will be shown on that channel however. it MIGHT get 100 viewers on a game by game basis this year. not worth it for fsn imo.

By this logic HD would never, ever be shown anywhere at any time, much less ever get started in the first place.

I know what you're trying to say but you have to remember this is a little different than normal because at some point the market will demand you be HD (or at least 16x9 and DVD quality... but that is another debate). So it's a question of 'when' not 'if' and it's also a question of how long you can wait before you find yourself behind the 8 ball. Sometimes the better long term strategy is to be ahead of the curve.

At some point it doesn't make sense to maintain, repair, and upgrade existing equipment if that equipment is "Model T" technology in a changing world. So you take the plunge even if there's "100 viewers"... currently.

And really, we're getting to the point with the DTV changeover that HDTV sets are going to be the norm. The current holdouts will not stand to see letterboxed shows on their sets and will probably be annoyed also by zoomed images to "fill their screen". So the base will be there (in installed sets)... Whether the fanbase will be there is another debate entirely ;)
...But you don't want to alienate them further by being the last team not in HD. ...And it could even be seen by the league, team, or broadcaster(s) as a way to attract new viewers and further enhance the product (which is another reason to be ahead of the curve).

Whether this is the season it happens is another question but your logic (IMHO) is flawed.

duke dynamite
09-29-2008, 01:21 AM
As I recall, there is an HD version of FSNMW or FSNI listed on some cable/satellite listings, but little or no content appears on it

Furthermore, I think I remember somebody hinting that they knew something about the Pacers games going HD.

Does anyone else remember any of this?

Can anyone elaborate on the possibility of Pacer games being in HD?

That was me. There was a thread about this back in early August. I'll try and dig it up.

One of the media relations guys told me at the Eagle Ranch event that they were working on something and deciding if this year would be the time where the games would go in HD.

He told me that they would know something in late September or as late as the middle of October then the public would be made aware of it shortly after.

croz24
09-29-2008, 03:51 AM
By this logic HD would never, ever be shown anywhere at any time, much less ever get started in the first place.

I know what you're trying to say but you have to remember this is a little different than normal because at some point the market will demand you be HD (or at least 16x9 and DVD quality... but that is another debate). So it's a question of 'when' not 'if' and it's also a question of how long you can wait before you find yourself behind the 8 ball. Sometimes the better long term strategy is to be ahead of the curve.

At some point it doesn't make sense to maintain, repair, and upgrade existing equipment if that equipment is "Model T" technology in a changing world. So you take the plunge even if there's "100 viewers"... currently.

And really, we're getting to the point with the DTV changeover that HDTV sets are going to be the norm. The current holdouts will not stand to see letterboxed shows on their sets and will probably be annoyed also by zoomed images to "fill their screen". So the base will be there (in installed sets)... Whether the fanbase will be there is another debate entirely ;)
...But you don't want to alienate them further by being the last team not in HD. ...And it could even be seen by the league, team, or broadcaster(s) as a way to attract new viewers and further enhance the product (which is another reason to be ahead of the curve).

Whether this is the season it happens is another question but your logic (IMHO) is flawed.

my point had to do with pacers tv ratings in general compared to the amount of those "fans" who actually have hd. not a recipe for success iyam.

Hicks
09-29-2008, 08:41 AM
That was me. There was a thread about this back in early August. I'll try and dig it up.

One of the media relations guys told me at the Eagle Ranch event that they were working on something and deciding if this year would be the time where the games would go in HD.

He told me that they would know something in late September or as late as the middle of October then the public would be made aware of it shortly after.

Ah, okay. Thanks.

Having just taken the plunge into HD myself, this issue suddenly became more pressing and urgent. :D

duke dynamite
09-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Ah, okay. Thanks.

Having just taken the plunge into HD myself, this issue suddenly became more pressing and urgent. :D

Yeah, you're telling me. When I first got an HDTV, I already had an HD tuner that was built-in my DVR. I can't go back to standard TV. When we switched to DirecTV back in February I freaked out because CBS was not in HD yet, and I was hoping that we got it before the NFL season started.

I really hope I get to watch my Pacers in HD this year. It won't be too much of an issue as of today, which I got a better job offered to me so I will be upgrading my package.

HC
09-29-2008, 02:10 PM
I have FSNMWHD, and they don't even broadcast Cardinal games in HD. I'm not a Card fan, but that is pretty lame imo. I hope for the best, but I wouldn't expect it yet this season. As stated before though, eventually it will have to be done.

RandyWrinkles
09-29-2008, 05:48 PM
I just read this...

More than half of the Thunder games on Fox Sports Oklahoma will be in HD (high-definition) during the 2008-09 season, with additional HD broadcasts scheduled for the following season. http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=1780

Hopefully we hear the same thing here.

DGPR
09-30-2008, 04:41 PM
We need to get some HD games because FSN Pacer games look very fuzzy on my tv. If the Thunder get HD games I believe the Pacers should get them as well.

Bball
09-30-2008, 04:45 PM
We need to get some HD games because FSN Pacer games look very fuzzy on my tv. If the Thunder get HD games I believe the Pacers should get them as well.

Yes, Pacer games luck very fuzzy on Directv. I'm sure Directv's compression doesn't help but I understand the fuzziness isn't an issue with Directv alone. So maybe it's time for an upgrade of equipment anyway! :D

-Bball

HC
09-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Yes, Pacer games luck very fuzzy on Directv. I'm sure Directv's compression doesn't help but I understand the fuzziness isn't an issue with Directv alone. So maybe it's time for an upgrade of equipment anyway! :D

-Bball

I used to get it on dish, now I get it on Comcast. Both pictures are equal to that of quality you could get 15 years ago. Although both are horrible, Dish was much better.

duke dynamite
09-30-2008, 04:52 PM

-Bball

I used to get it on dish, now I get it on Comcast. Both pictures are equal to that of quality you could get 15 years ago. Although both are horrible, Dish was much better.

Yeah, I had Insight (Comcast) HD and it looked the same as it does on DirecTV.