PDA

View Full Version : Marc Stein: Power Rankings since 2002 (Pacers #6)

D23
09-26-2008, 01:28 PM
I have to admit, even though I've followed the Pacers religiously during this time, I was a bit surprised to see them ranked so high. I really didn't figure they were in the top 8 record-wise over the last 6 years. Kind of puts things into perspective for the casual fans who think we've been at the bottom of the barrel for several years... my oh my, what bad off-court press can do to you...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=PowerRankings0208

Full disclosure: We're just as surprised as you by the Pacers' high standing, given what has the feel (at least to us) of a pretty steady decline since the infamous brawl in Detroit in November 2004. But the numbers say otherwise: Indy, indeed, has the eighth-best average record in the league over the six seasons in question and received an undeniable boost from a 61-win campaign in 2003-04, which it spent largely in the top three.

Kstat
09-26-2008, 01:35 PM
...and we're below the Mavs, because... :rolleyes:

Im sorry, I thought a championship and another finals appearance that went to 7 games trumps just one finals appearance and a back-door sweep...guess not.

Speed
09-26-2008, 01:40 PM
Do the last 3 years and see what it shows, Stein. There is exactly 1 player on this team from the beginning of those dates.

count55
09-26-2008, 01:54 PM

Im sorry, I thought a championship and another finals appearance that went to 7 games trumps just one finals appearance and a back-door sweep...guess not.

This is basically an average of where they were rated over the past six years, not a re-ranking based on performance. Even during the championship season, the Mavs were consistently ranked ahead of Detroit, particularly early in the season. This math is how the Pacers ended up so high, despite the last three years of abject mediocrity.

You're arguing with math, not logic here.

D23
09-26-2008, 01:55 PM

Oh, I had to remind myself that you're a Pistons fan. You had me really confused for a minute lol :)

rexnom
09-26-2008, 01:57 PM

This is regular season power-rankings. If this was playoffs, Detroit would obviously be number two.

Bball
09-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Can we hang the #6 Power Ranking from 2002 forward banner next to the 61 win season one?

-Bball

Anthem
09-27-2008, 10:34 AM
Can we hang the #6 Power Ranking from 2002 forward banner next to the 61 win season one?

-Bball
Hey, I don't remember. Did you ever answer my post about being happy with an ECF banner?

Naptown_Seth
09-27-2008, 12:49 PM
This is regular season power-rankings. If this was playoffs, Detroit would obviously be number two.
If it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck, or in other words the Pistons will always be "number 2" in my book.

:box: :p

And Stein's article also points out just how ridiculously out of touch the locals have gotten in terms of expectations around here. As I preach on end, the Colts see the same kind of "objective" perspective from the Indy fans. "What, you aren't 90% certain to win the title?!?! Then why am I even bothering to watch? At least when I pay for a movie I know the good guy wins at the end. We're a small market and it's all fixed against us anyway."

Sheesh, even the "bad" years still had the team well off the bottom tier, somewhat to my surprise last year.

Bball
09-28-2008, 02:00 AM
Hey, I don't remember. Did you ever answer my post about being happy with an ECF banner?

I've been uber busy lately... I don't remember answering it OR even the question? ....let alone the context. What was it?

-Bball

King Tuts Tomb
09-28-2008, 09:01 AM

Because of math.

It is nice to remember how the Pacers stood among the elite teams not so long ago. I can only hope we're on the way back up there.