PDA

View Full Version : Larry Bird Press Conferance 11:00AM (old thread; nothing to see here)

RamBo_Lamar
09-26-2008, 02:58 AM
Just saw posted on IndyStar that they will be videocasting Larry Bird
holding a press conferance at 11:00AM to discuss the Pacer's upcoming
season.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/99999999/NEWS/80624034

tde3000
09-26-2008, 05:11 AM
could this mean there's another trade?

Eindar
09-26-2008, 05:35 AM
could this mean there's another trade?

I hope so, because it doesn't seem like a "standard" time to call a press conference, but it could just be to talk about the start of training camp, which opens Monday.

Speed
09-26-2008, 07:33 AM
I hope so, because it doesn't seem like a "standard" time to call a press conference, but it could just be to talk about the start of training camp, which opens Monday.

Strange, I think, wouldn't you just do it Monday when everyone is there anyway? Is there any more info?

Hicks
09-26-2008, 07:51 AM
I doubt there's a trade. I think what you see is what you'll get.

Tom White
09-26-2008, 10:07 AM
I doubt there's a trade. I think what you see is what you'll get.

Maybe they are finally going to have Rasho's introduction presser.

Smoothdave1
09-26-2008, 10:12 AM
My guess is that Bird will say:

-- We're excited about this season and the product that will be on the floor
-- Our players are all healthy and ready for the season
-- The players will be out helping the community (both Jarrett Jack and Granger were in Fishers on Thursday helping out -- Jack with dance studio and Granger with soccer practice)
-- We're still trying to trade Tinsley
-- Excited to play at the Pepsi Coliseum and in Ft. Wayne
-- Rush and Hibbert have spent most of the summer working out and playing in Indy
-- We're working on an extension for Danny

I doubt it's a press conference for a trade or anything else. We'll see what happens, though. I don't expect any earth shattering news, however

Hicks
09-26-2008, 10:24 AM
My guess is that Bird will say:

-- We're excited about this season and the product that will be on the floor
-- Our players are all healthy and ready for the season
-- The players will be out helping the community (both Jarrett Jack and Granger were in Fishers on Thursday helping out -- Jack with dance studio and Granger with soccer practice)
-- We're still trying to trade Tinsley
-- Excited to play at the Pepsi Coliseum and in Ft. Wayne
-- Rush and Hibbert have spent most of the summer working out and playing in Indy
-- We're working on an extension for Danny

I doubt it's a press conference for a trade or anything else. We'll see what happens, though. I don't expect any earth shattering news, however

Yep.

Major Cold
09-26-2008, 10:38 AM
When was the last time we announced a trade before it was leaked?

MillerTime
09-26-2008, 10:41 AM
is there a way to watch the video conference onlne? Or can someone post what was said ?

EDIT: Nevermind, you can watch the live link here http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/99999999/NEWS/80624034

wjs
09-26-2008, 10:59 AM
is there a way to watch the video conference onlne? Or can someone post what was said ?

EDIT: Nevermind, you can watch the live link here http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/99999999/NEWS/80624034

Thanks MillTime for the link. LOL at the folks who seem not to know there is an open mike. Who is the guy saying, "I am not afraid of change" ?

CableKC
09-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Wow.....Bird has a smile on his face....I don't konw what that means...

wjs
09-26-2008, 11:01 AM
Tinsley: "Still talking to some teams ... hope to get something done in the next few days." -- Bird

CableKC
09-26-2008, 11:02 AM
No news about Tinsley....

Hicks
09-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Props to Larry for being honest about our team's health!

Hicks
09-26-2008, 11:06 AM
"Bob, are we interrupting your sleep?" - Bird

:laugh:

wjs
09-26-2008, 11:08 AM
Tinsley: "We are not cutting big checks for players ... we've never done that here."

"trying to work deals out that are 2-for-1"

"guys in the locker room now are eager and ready"

"Travis has still got soreness in bottom of his foot"

"Mike's knee is a little sore ... nothing to be concerned about" [just great]

Q: What were you most concerned about last year.
A: "The Defense"

Granger: "Hopefully we can get something done ... we're talking."

Nice zinger by Larry at Kravis ... "are we interrupting your sleep". Ha!

MillerTime
09-26-2008, 11:09 AM
"Bob, are we interrupting your sleep?" - Bird

:laugh:

lol ya i thought that was funny :laugh::D

CableKC
09-26-2008, 11:10 AM
RE: Bird's comments about our SalaryCap situation and resigning our players. He should read some of count55 post regarding our SalaryCap situation next season.

MillerTime
09-26-2008, 11:11 AM
This press conference doesnt seem like anything new. We all new about the stuff that Bird is address, except for the Diener and Dunleavy news

wjs
09-26-2008, 11:11 AM
Tinsley: "There are handful of teams that have interest in him ... and those are the teams we are talking to." -- Bird

MillerTime
09-26-2008, 11:15 AM
Bird on Hibbert:
can he keep up with the pace?
Should be better after the all star break. Will improve.

We're bringing back Austin? Croshere?

CableKC
Did Bird say that they are trying out Austin Croshere?

:woohoo:

Smoothdave1
Pacers are bringing in Croshere for camp!

wjs
"We all know they have to play better defense." -- Bird

"We are bring back Austin ..." [What??]

MillerTime
09-26-2008, 11:16 AM
Good news about Rush. They talk a lot of his defense, can guard the 2 and 3.

LOL someone mentioned that Bird said that "Tinsley will be a future all star" a few years ago, but he needs the right group of people and needs to stay healthy

MillerTime
09-26-2008, 11:18 AM

Thats amazing. Good guy to have in the locker room and on the court. Good pick up. This means that we'll have another player on the roster. We for sure need to do a 2 for 1 or even a 3 for one. Bird also mentioned that JOB likes to have a smaller group. We might see a smaller than usual sized roster?????

Smoothdave1
09-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Croshere still lives in Indy during the off-season. If anything, it may be that the Pacers are trying to showcase Croshere for other teams. Depending upon if a 2 for 1 deal could be done with Tinsley, I could see the Pacers signing Croshere and maybe cutting someone else. Croshere is not going to come in and bring 10 ppg, but he brings in veteran leadership and was well liked during his tenure in Indy -- things the Pacers covet.

count55
09-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Pacers are bringing in Croshere for camp!

Morway reined him in on that. He said they may bring in another player, but no decision had been made. It might be true, but I took it more as Bird joking.

CableKC
09-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Morway reined him in on that. He said they may bring in another player, but no decision had been made. It might be true, but I took it more as Bird joking.
I could be wrong...since my Internet feed was cutting in and out....but I think I heard that Bird said that Austin was working out with them over the last couple of weeks.

McKeyFan
09-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Yeah, I had to assume he was joking. But maybe not.

Bird can really be a character. "Sounds like a sales job," he said to Morway who was talking about how great a shape Tins is in.

He likes to cut through the crap a lot. Still refreshing.

I wonder if the purpose of this press conference was to tell the team they hope to pull off a trade with that other teams are interested too--or to alert other teams that now is the time to make their offer.

count55
09-26-2008, 11:36 AM
I could be wrong...since my Internet feed was cutting in and out....but I think I heard that Bird said that Austin was working out with them over the last couple of weeks.

He did say that, but Morway's reaction and Bird's half-chuckle at the end led me to believe he was joking. I'd have to watch the interview again, but I think it's far from definite that Austin will be in camp.

RamBo_Lamar
09-26-2008, 12:34 PM
According to Mike Wells newly posted report:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080926/SPORTS04/809260493

Forward Austin Croshere, who spent his first nine seasons with the Pacers, has been invited to training camp. Croshere doesn't have a guaranteed contract and would have to make the team.

Austin Croshere will indeed be in training camp competing for a roster spot.

Smoothdave1
09-26-2008, 12:37 PM
I doubt that Bird and Morway were joking about Croshere, especially since a reporter asked them if they had planned to bring anyone else in and Bird said something along the lines of, "Yeah, we're bringing Austin back". A few seconds later when asked why he said something along the lines of "Jimmy likes him because he can shoot the 3".

Austin had a great relationship with the fans, management and the community while in Indy and hoped to one day work for the Pacers after his playing career had ended. Croshere still owns and lives in his house on Geist (Jalen's former house) during the off-season. Croshere's only fault was that he had a great series against the Lakers and Donnie and the Pacers gave him a contract that many felt he never lived up to. If anything, the Pacers may be bringing him into camp as a favor to showcase him to other teams who may need a solid veteran and good locker room guy. He may not make the team or could make it depending upon what happens with the Tinsley situation, but I have to believe that Bird and Morway were not lying when they said Croshere was coming back -- at least for camp.

BTW, speaking of former Pacers, I see Fred Jones, Scot Pollard and Anthony Johnson still haven't been signed by anyone. Just an FYI!

Doddage
09-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Anthony Johnson signed with the Magic.

Smoothdave1
09-26-2008, 12:50 PM
I missed that on the AJ signing. My apologies.

Young
09-26-2008, 01:07 PM
I would not mind if we bring Austin back. In fact, I would really like that.

Sure he was overpaid during his time here. But he also was poorly used. Anyways he always gave great effort and is a great presence in the locker room, IMO.

I say Croshere > McRoberts.

CableKC
09-26-2008, 01:15 PM
I would not mind if we bring Austin back. In fact, I would really like that.

Sure he was overpaid during his time here. But he also was poorly used. Anyways he always gave great effort and is a great presence in the locker room, IMO.

I say Croshere > McRoberts.
No kidding.....Bird wants consistency. I have no clue what McRoberts is going to give us with his brief stint with the Blazers then in the NBDL....but I know what Croshere can give us ( DESPITE his age ). Croshere is a poor man's Murphy that we can break out in case of emergency while being a smart vet that I think can easily fit into JO'Bs system. If we somehow move Tinsley and have 1 last Roster space....I would consider signing Croshere to the Vet minimum.

Speed
09-26-2008, 01:38 PM
jab step, jab step, jab step, jab step - Shot.....

jab step, jab step, jab step, jab step - Charge.....

Pick your poison, defenses of the league, you've been put on notice.

rexnom
09-26-2008, 02:00 PM
For PR's sake, Croshere and McRoberts both should be on the team. Problem is that we're at -1 open spots right now.

Tom White
09-26-2008, 02:32 PM
jab step, jab step, jab step, jab step - Shot..... CLANG

jab step, jab step, jab step, jab step - Charge.....

Pick your poison, defenses of the league, you've been put on notice.

Fixed.

Dr. Goldfoot
09-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Good for Crosh. He'll probably even make the team.

I'm offended by this kind of pandering to the fans though. I realize we're talking about an end of the bench position but it's still pretty low. Austin Croshere doesn't make this team one iota better (in the present or future). This move is likely to take a couple of bad light angle articles away to make room for fluff articles of his return.

I say boo for taking the easy way, Bird.

Unclebuck
09-26-2008, 03:28 PM
Does anyone have a good link for the press conference?

I see no reason to bring Croshere back - he's a nice guy and all but just not a very good player.

Speed
09-26-2008, 03:36 PM
I'm for having Cro if he will be a 15th guy for the league min who will help the young guys stay grounded and the lockeroom be strong.

Although wasn't he part of the alleged Foster Beer bathroom party?????

RamBo_Lamar
09-26-2008, 03:54 PM
It is nice that they are bringing in Cro for training camp, but my guess would
be the odds are stacked greatly against his making the final cut.

I just can't see him at this stage of his career having the legs under him to
hang with the young pups running JOB's system.

He may surprise though... I wish him well and good luck either way.

Anthem
09-26-2008, 04:05 PM
I've beaten up on Croshere quite a bit, but I'd have no problem with him getting the 15th spot. He's a pro and a man... I'm fine with having him in the locker room, in film sessions, in practice, all that stuff. And once his playing career is over (maybe within the month) I'd be fine with him taking a role in the front office.

I don't want him on the floor... As a big man, I'd play him behind Rasho/Hibby/Foster/Murphy/Baston/Shawne/Danny. So best case, assuming he's better than McBob, he's our 8th best big man.

But if you're just looking for a guy to hang with the team, he's as good as anybody. He'd be a good model to the younger guys on how to maximize your talent through hard work and a level head.

Young
09-26-2008, 04:19 PM
I don't get why anyone can have a problem with Croshere on the team. We are talking about someone to be one of the last players off the bench. What do you expect from the 12th-15th man off your bench?

I guess it can't be a suprise. Some had an issue with Eddie Gill. Third string point guard.

Anthem
09-26-2008, 04:27 PM
I don't get why anyone can have a problem with Croshere on the team. We are talking about someone to be one of the last players off the bench. What do you expect from the 12th-15th man off your bench?
Well, in terms of potential to contribute on the court, I'd definitely rather have Baston, and it's very possible I'd rather have McBob.

So if it's coming down to who gets cut, then there are questions. But as long as he's not playing in front of the guys I mentioned, I'd love to have him on the bench.

Smoothdave1
09-26-2008, 05:11 PM
Pacers.com has an article up about Croshere signing with the Pacers and other issues: http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5700021506

Croshere's return, Tinsley's departure highlight Bird briefing
Sep 26, 2008
When training camp opens Tuesday in Conseco Fieldhouse, Austin Croshere will be back with the Pacers. Jamaal Tinsley will not.

LARRY BIRD ON THE TEAM

Team President Larry Bird addressed a wide variety of topics, including the status of those two veteran players as well as the negotiations on a contract extension for rising star Danny Granger, in a pre-camp media briefing Friday.

Croshere, 33, spent nine seasons with the Pacers, averaging 7.5 points and 4.3 rebounds in 540 games, but was traded to Dallas for Marquis Daniels prior to the 2006-07 season, averaging 3.7 points and 11.9 minutes in 61 games. He signed with Golden State last season, appearing in 44 games and averaging 3.9 points in 10.4 minutes.

"We're bringing back Austin this year," Bird said. "He's out there and he needs a place to go. He's been here (working out) the last couple of weeks and he looks good. Jimmy (O'Brien) loves him because he can shoot the 3-pointer."

Croshere's addition gives the Pacers 17 players under contract, with one or two more possible before camp begins. Though Tinsley remains on the roster, he will not be present for camp because Bird remains intent on trading the veteran point guard.

"What it really comes down to is I really like Jamaal as a person but it's better if we go in a different direction," Bird said. "We’re still talking to some teams and hopefully something can get done in the next few days. … He'll stay wherever he's at until we get something done."

LARRY BIRD ON JAMAAL TINSLEY

Bird said there are "a handful of teams" that have shown interest in Tinsley. Though he did not name them, published reports have suggested Miami and Denver as the primary possibilities. Portland, Golden State, Washington and Orlando also are looking for help at the point.

With eight players on the roster that weren't with the Pacers last season, Bird said the potential for distracition Tinsley's status becoming a distraction were minimal.

"It don't be a distraction (for) this team," he said. "These guys are focused. They haven't seen him around here. We're moving forward. The new guys just want to play, they want to learn, they want to get better. Their focus is to get back in the playoffs."

Coming off a breakthrough season in 2007-08 in which he averaged career-highs of 19.6 points, 6.1 rebounds and 2.1 assists, Granger is eligible for a contract extension. If no agreement is reached before the season begins, he will become a restricted free agent in 2009. The Pacers would still hold the right of first refusal to match any other team's offer.

"As we go forward, we'll see what happens but we'd like to get something done," Bird said. "We like Danny as a player and we think he's a very good player but you never know these negotiations go. We'd like to (reach an agreement) but if it don't happen it's not the end of the world. Danny's very valuable to us and we've told his agent how important he is to this franchise and hopefully we can get something done."

The Pacers will go into camp relatively healthy. Mike Dunleavy has a sore knee, the byproduct of weeks of scrimmaging in Los Angeles, and likely will be held out of one of the two-a-day practices until the pain subsides. The same is true of Travis Diener, who had surgery to remove bone spurs from his left big toe in May and still has some soreness in the foot.

Some other topics of note:

Though the team lost its primary low-post threat when Jermaine O'Neal was dealt to Toronto, Bird believes the offense can compensate with speed and ball movement. "One thing we're going to be able to do is get the ball up the court to get open shots," he said. "We'll have a lot more open shots this year than in the past because of T.J. (Ford) and Jarrett (Jack) and even Travis because we can push the ball extremely hard. … (but) to win a championship in this league you've got to have a post scorer that can go down there and get a basket at the end of the game. We don't have that but we do have some guys we can go to and hopefully we can get some production out of them."

The team's success hinges on its ability to improve, defensively. "I know the coach has been working on changing some tactics and I think we're going to be better on the defensive end," Bird said. "We have to be if we're going to win games."

Though he hasn't been able to acquire an offensive threat in the post, Bird is happy with the depth and versatility of the frontcourt rotation, which includes Jeff Foster, Roy Hibbert and Rasho Nesterovic and said he believes power forward Troy Murphy will have "his best year" this season. "He's really worked hard, he's thought about it, he's comfortable with his surroundings now," Bird said, "and I think he's going to have a big year."

Bird has been very encouraged by what he's seen from rookie swingman Brandon Rush. "It's going to be very interesting to watch Brandon take the next step," Bird said, "because I think he's very close."

count55
09-26-2008, 05:13 PM
Slick Leonard used to say that you need 8 good players who would play regularly, and the rest should be cheerleaders. I'd also prefer that the guys at the very end of the roster be veterans, because they're more likely to be able to not play for a month, then be productive when called upon due to injury.

The biggest obstacle Croshere has to making this roster is that he'd cost the team some more money. However, it's not as much as it would appear. He's got over 10 years in the league, so the min salary for him would be about $1,262. However, if we sign him to a one year contract only, the league will reimburse us the difference between that salary and the min for a two year vet, or $797. So we'd get back almost $500k.

I don't expect either McBob or Graham to amount to much, so I'd be OK with Austin taking the last roster spot at their expense.

CableKC
09-26-2008, 07:20 PM
Slick Leonard used to say that you need 8 good players who would play regularly, and the rest should be cheerleaders. I'd also prefer that the guys at the very end of the roster be veterans, because they're more likely to be able to not play for a month, then be productive when called upon due to injury.

The biggest obstacle Croshere has to making this roster is that he'd cost the team some more money. However, it's not as much as it would appear. He's got over 10 years in the league, so the min salary for him would be about $1,262. However, if we sign him to a one year contract only, the league will reimburse us the difference between that salary and the min for a two year vet, or $797. So we'd get back almost $500k.

I don't expect either McBob or Graham to amount to much, so I'd be OK with Austin taking the last roster spot at their expense.
Yeah...that's what I'm saying. I'd only expect a player like Croshere to get any minutes if Murphy and/or Foster goes down with some injury...otherwise...he's a cheerleader...much like he was with the Warriors.

MillerTime
09-26-2008, 10:41 PM
Yeah...that's what I'm saying. I'd only expect a player like Croshere to get any minutes if Murphy and/or Foster goes down with some injury...otherwise...he's a cheerleader...much like he was with the Warriors.

ya but he would be a cheerleader that would be good in the locker room and in the community. As a cheerleader, I would rather have Croshere than McRobert or Baston becaues Croshere could give advice to the younger guys....

kester99
09-26-2008, 10:46 PM
I still think Baston has some upside. More athletic, younger, not a knucklehead, seems fairly serious about his game...I don't want to write him off. Hope he shows well in camp.

Hicks
09-26-2008, 10:52 PM
Baston is not younger. Well, as a matter of fact he is. By 28 days. ;) I think he is what he is, too. Which isn't bad, btw.

kester99
09-26-2008, 11:00 PM
Well, I guess I'll fall back on the 'more athletic' thing...made me assume a bigger difference in age.

I don't want Austin to fail. Just want Maceo to succeed.

Will Galen
09-26-2008, 11:11 PM
I would like to keep Graham and Baston and pick up Cro. The ones I want to lose are Tins, Daniels, Williams, then McBob in that order.

The best scenario for me would be to trade those four for two players, then keep Cro.

Hicks
09-26-2008, 11:14 PM
They seem to still like Marquis, so I doubt he's going anywhere. Plus, he's salary to ditch next summer.

Unclebuck
09-27-2008, 09:50 AM
I thought by far the most interesting point Bird made - was when he said that O'Brien was looking to change some parts of the defensive system.........should be interesting to see

Placebo
01-13-2009, 03:18 PM
I thought by far the most interesting point Bird made - was when he said that O'Brien was looking to change some parts of the defensive system.........should be interesting to see

Yeap, I thought it was the most interesting thing he said as well. And he was right, O'Brien IS changing things in terms of defensive system... Seems like it will take some time though.

Erik
01-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Got me excited for nothing.:rolleyes:

Placebo
01-13-2009, 03:24 PM
yeah, sorry, I was just going through old topics :o

Shade
01-13-2009, 04:12 PM
Grr... :rant: