PDA

View Full Version : Backcourt Pairings

OakMoses
09-25-2008, 01:29 PM
I'm interested to know people's thoughts on which backcourt pairings will work well and which won't work so well. I'll take a crack at it, but I don't feel like explaining much right now.

Good Pairings:

Ford-Dunleavy, Ford-Rush, Jack-Dunleavy, Jack-Daniels (good for more than just the name), Diener-Rush, Diener-Daniels

Bad Pairings:

Jack-Rush, Ford-Daniels, Ford-Jack, Diener-Dunleavy, Diener-Jack

themayhem87
09-25-2008, 01:44 PM
i love the sound of ford and rush...when rush gets used the NBA game that could be our starting backcourt. I think rush is going to be a stud in the future (great outside shot, excellent defender, real athletic)

Anthem
09-25-2008, 02:09 PM
I'll be honest: Ford-Dun scares me. I think that backcourt gets punished defensively.

ajbry
09-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Jack-Rush is not a bad pairing at all... Obviously they won't be dynamic offensively, but you can count on them to collectively take care of the ball, make good decisions, and play legitimate defense. I don't see how that's a bad thing.

CableKC
09-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Jack-Rush is not a bad pairing at all... Obviously they won't be dynamic offensively, but you can count on them to collectively take care of the ball, make good decisions, and play legitimate defense. I don't see how that's a bad thing.
I think that a Jack-Rush PG/SG lineup would give us a good pressure defense along the perimeter.

As for a Ford-Jack PG/SG lineup....I suspect that we will use this lineup more often then not when we play against teams with a smaller lineup. As JO'B has alluded to with Jack playing some SG minutes with the Blazers........I suspect that Jack will likely be the 1st Guard off the bench once Dunleavy or Granger needs a rest.

OakMoses
09-25-2008, 02:39 PM

You make some very good points. In a more structured offense, I would like the pairing. In O'Brien's offense, however, I don't see either player being creative enough for the offense to flourish. I think it would work better with Dun at the 3 rather than Granger. Regardless, it's going to put a lot of creative pressure on whoever's playing the 3. Especially since we don't have go-to low post scorer.

count55
09-25-2008, 02:45 PM
I'll be honest: Ford-Dun scares me. I think that backcourt gets punished defensively.

Actually, they might be OK. If Ford uses his quickness to pressure the ball up the floor, it will take pressure off Dunleavy. It will be easier for the wings to defend the pass, and there will be less time for Dunleavy to be broken down.

It's kind of odd. It's not a case of their strengths complementing the others' weakness, as Dunleavy has no real defensive strength. It's more that their weaknesses kind of neutralize each other. Either a team's going to try to post up Ford, or they're going to break down Dunleavy. If Ford does his job out front, then there won't be the opportunity for both, or, perhaps either.

However, if Ford (and the rest of the Pacers) lets the other team get into their offense with 20 seconds on the clock, then the opponents will have the two options from which to choose.

Still and all, I'm hard pressed to believe that Ford/Dunleavy will be worse, or anywhere near as bad as the any-of-our-2007-2008-PG's/Dunleavy were.

Justin Tyme
09-25-2008, 02:59 PM
Still and all, I'm hard pressed to believe that Ford/Dunleavy will be worse, or anywhere near as bad as the any-of-our-2007-2008-PG's/Dunleavy were.

Amen brother!

Doddage
09-25-2008, 03:40 PM
:laugh: Jack-Daniels... we so have to run with that sometime.

BlueNGold
09-25-2008, 06:40 PM
I know it's too early to tell, but I would love to see a Ford-Rush back court. It would help us so much on defense if Rush can step up to the challenge. Dunleavy would get 6th man minutes backing up both Granger and Rush. Jack would back up Ford.

Adding Rush to the starting 5 obviously improves the perimeter defense...but it does more. It allows Granger to play closer to the basket, pick up more boards and block shots....a couple gifts that are wasted when he's on the perimeter.

I think Jack and Dunleavy would be a strong second team that would not miss a beat. Jack's strong D matched with Dunleavy's strong O may be a very good combination.

I really like what Jack, Ford and Rush may bring to this team. We really needed some help in the back court.

ChicagoJ
09-25-2008, 09:18 PM
I'm okay with Jack-Rush.

I have concerns about Ford-Dunleavy, obviously.

I'm not wild about Jack-Dunleavy, but I don't think Dunleavy should be playing SG.

Ford-Rush might be alright.

I still think we need backcourt help.

pacergod2
09-26-2008, 11:33 AM
I might get a "Jack Daniels" pacers jersey with the number 16 on it. OK i am an idiot.