PDA

View Full Version : Carl Landry

PD Junkie
09-22-2008, 10:05 PM
Did Carl ever sign the contract with the Rockets?

robocop's cousin
09-23-2008, 12:43 AM
he's not coming here

count55
09-23-2008, 07:47 AM
While it's true that it is unlikely that Landry will become a Pacer, the answer to the question that you actually asked is that it does not appear that Landry has signed with the Rockets, or anyone else at this point. He is still listed on the Shamsports site on the Rockets page with only the qualifying offer.

I have not heard anything otherwise.

MillerTime
09-23-2008, 07:51 AM
last thing I read on Landry is that the Rockets wanted to test out his knees before they signed him to an extention, which in my opinion is fair. I would still love it if the Pacers looked into him more. They were interested and just died down

Anthem
09-23-2008, 10:08 AM
They were interested and just died down
Did we ever learn that the Pacers were actually interested?

I'd imagine our interest died down when the Rockets said "We're not interested in taking Murphy or Tinsley back in a S&T."

grace
09-23-2008, 03:34 PM
Did we ever learn that the Pacers were actually interested?

Well, if they want a chance that Kegboy would actually go to a Pacer game again they might want to at least consider signing Carl.

cgg
09-24-2008, 05:56 PM
Bobcats have extended an offer sheet.

http://www.nba.com/bobcats/release_landry_080924.html

Justin Tyme
09-24-2008, 06:04 PM
Now, let's see what Houston does... either fish or cut bait. What I find ironical is that Houston today stated they had made Landry a fair offer, and hoped he'd take it. Apparently, the Bobcats made a better than a "fair offer."

MillerTime
09-24-2008, 08:01 PM
Landry Update:

Carl Landry's summer of restricted free agency has been a long one that will likely result in the second-year forward remaining with the Rockets.

"We have a fair offer out there, and we're hoping he takes it," said GM Daryl Morey.

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Q_and_A_with_Daryl_Morey-283026-34.html?rss=true

MillerTime
09-24-2008, 08:13 PM
I also read this:

Bobcats Extend Offer Sheet to Carl Landry

Charlotte Bobcats General Manager Rod Higgins announced today that the team has extended an offer sheet to restricted free agent Carl Landry. Per team policy, terms were not disclosed.

http://www.nba.com/bobcats/release_landry_080924.html

....I think the Rockets have matched the offer

MillerTime
09-24-2008, 11:36 PM
http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/sierra/2008/09/24/landry-9-million-richer/

HoopsHype.com/DraftExpress collaborateur Jonathan Givony reports the offer sheet Carl Landry has signed with the Charlotte Bobcats is for three years and $9 million. Houston will almost certainly match.

The Rockets were previously offering Landry three years and $6.8 million, one source told Givony. Indiana and Cleveland were close to extending offer sheets as well.

MillerTime
09-24-2008, 11:37 PM
does this mean we WERE close to extending him or ARE close to extending him?

Hicks
09-24-2008, 11:42 PM
Interesting that we were allegedly involved. I don't see how we could have won this bid, though. Well, I guess we could have thrown the MLE (part of it), right?

MillerTime
09-24-2008, 11:48 PM
Interesting that we were allegedly involved. I don't see how we could have won this bid, though. Well, I guess we could have thrown the MLE (part of it), right?

I honestly dont know. I guess if we still had the MLE we could use part of it, if its still available. Do you guys think we're still in the runnings or we're out? $3 mill a season for 3 years with the last year being a team option isnt that bad at all. Im sure Landry is easily worth $3/season

Anthem
09-24-2008, 11:49 PM
I honestly dont know. I guess if we still had the MLE we could use part of it, if its still available. Do you guys think we're still in the runnings or we're out? $3 mill a season for 3 years with the last year being a team option isnt that bad at all. Im sure Landry is easily worth $3/season
We're out, and were from the beginning. Landry's an RFA.

MillerTime
09-24-2008, 11:53 PM

why does that make us out? Are we still able to go a sign and trade for him?

Landry would have been so ideal for us. A young PF to fit out young core. We could have had a future of:

Ford
Rush
Granger
Landry
Hbbert

CableKC
09-25-2008, 12:36 AM
Reading the RealGM post....it seems that with a contract starting at $3 mil...matching that would have put the Rockets very close to the Luxury Tax threshold.....if the Pacers...much less any other team...offered more then $4 mil...that may have given the Rockets some pause for thought.

MillerTime
09-25-2008, 06:34 AM
I just read that hes had a lot of injuries the past few seasons.

That has got to be it. Injuries.

College:
02-03: broken hand, missed rest of season.
04-05: knee injury near the end of the season, missed the rest.
05-06: reinjured knee early in season, sat out the rest.

Now, more knee problems. Gotta be difficult for such a talented athlete.
That knee is definately lowering his value.

count55
09-25-2008, 08:02 AM
Reading the RealGM post....it seems that with a contract starting at $3 mil...matching that would have put the Rockets very close to the Luxury Tax threshold.....if the Pacers...much less any other team...offered more then $4 mil...that may have given the Rockets some pause for thought.

The Pacers only had $1.9mm under the tax threshold, so the only practical way we were going to get him was in a sign & trade.

Also, Shamsports indicates that the Rockets are currently only $1.1mm below the tax. They have two contracts (Mike Harris & DJ Strawberry) that are at least partially guaranteed, so they could release them to get to maybe $2.5mm under. However, if those numbers are correct, it pretty much appears that Houston was going to have to go over the tax to sign Landry anyway.

NapTonius Monk
09-25-2008, 08:07 AM
Is this a degenerative knee condition? He seemed ok last year.

MillerTime
09-25-2008, 08:55 AM
The Pacers only had $1.9mm under the tax threshold, so the only practical way we were going to get him was in a sign & trade.

Also, Shamsports indicates that the Rockets are currently only $1.1mm below the tax. They have two contracts (Mike Harris & DJ Strawberry) that are at least partially guaranteed, so they could release them to get to maybe $2.5mm under. However, if those numbers are correct, it pretty much appears that Houston was going to have to go over the tax to sign Landry anyway.

couldnt we have used part of our MLE for Landry?

McKeyFan
09-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Isn't it interesting that teams tend to pick up players that did well in games against THEM.

Landry soaked us last year. Didn't Baby Al have a career game against Atlanta, and got picked up by them? There seems to be lots of examples of this, though wisdom would say forget the anecdotal evidence and look at the big picture. Human nature can't resist, I suppose.

Anthem
09-25-2008, 09:13 AM
couldnt we have used part of our MLE for Landry?
Yeah, but we'd have still gone over the LT mark.

MLE lets you go over the cap, but you still pay Luxury Tax if you're over that amount.

count55
09-25-2008, 09:48 AM
Isn't it interesting that teams tend to pick up players that did well in games against THEM.

Landry soaked us last year. Didn't Baby Al have a career game against Atlanta, and got picked up by them? There seems to be lots of examples of this, though wisdom would say forget the anecdotal evidence and look at the big picture. Human nature can't resist, I suppose.

It is interesting, particularly since Landry didn't play at all against Charlotte, the team that signed him to the offer sheet.

Justin Tyme
09-25-2008, 10:30 AM
I understand ownership not wanting to go into LT land. Shamsports shows the Pacers salary at 69.2 mil, and if the data I have is correct on the LT it is 71.5 mil which gives the Pacers 2.3 mil to use on signing Landry. If this info is correct, the Pacers could have offered 4-4.5 mil to Landry, and the LT would have only been around 2 mil. That doesn't seem like much to get a true PF which is exactly what the Pacers need.

On the other hand, that would give them 17 players... 2 over the limit. If the Pacers cut Graham at 800 thousand and McBob at 700 thousand, it would bring the roster to 15. I could have seen cutting both and paying the extra 2 mil in LT to sign Landry. Too late now. JMOAA

count55
09-25-2008, 10:53 AM
I understand ownership not wanting to go into LT land. Shamsports shows the Pacers salary at 69.2 mil, and if the data I have is correct on the LT it is 71.5 mil which gives the Pacers 2.3 mil to use on signing Landry. If this info is correct, the Pacers could have offered 4-4.5 mil to Landry, and the LT would have only been around 2 mil. That doesn't seem like much to get a true PF which is exactly what the Pacers need.

On the other hand, that would give them 17 players... 2 over the limit. If the Pacers cut Graham at 800 thousand and McBob at 700 thousand, it would bring the roster to 15. I could have seen cutting both and paying the extra 2 mil in LT to sign Landry. Too late now. JMOAA

The tax threshold is $71,150, but it's not just an extra $2mm. To sign Landry, the Pacers would pay $4mm in salary, $2mm in tax, plus they'd forfeit their share of the tax collected from other teams, which would probably be between $3 & $4mm, based on current payrolls and last year's numbers.

Therefore, the total effective price of signing Carl Landry would be somewhere in the $9 to $10mm range for this season, including $5 to $6mm in penalties associated with going over the tax. For a business (the Pacers) whose annual revenues are probably only between $100 and $125mm, that is a particularly onerous price to pay. Particularly when your years away from contention.

Justin Tyme
09-25-2008, 11:38 AM
plus they'd forfeit their share of the tax collected from other teams, which would probably be between $3 & $4mm, based on current payrolls and last year's numbers.

I had forgotten about 3-4 million teams get from being under the LT. Thanx for reminding me.

In reality, I gave up on ever seeing Landry in a Pacers' uni long ago. The only way I could ever have seen it happen would have been in a S&T, and that was a long shot.

Personally, I hope Houston loses Landry for how they tried scaring off suiters with the injury issue, so they could re-sign him cheaply.

Jonathan
09-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Charlotte has offered Landry a 3 year 9 million dollar deal.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AhmtYRajeOl4BRENn3xGPRC8vLYF?slug=ap-bobcats-landry&prov=ap&type=lgns

Houston should match that offer!!

CableKC
09-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Yeah, but we'd have still gone over the LT mark.

MLE lets you go over the cap, but you still pay Luxury Tax if you're over that amount.
It's not my money....so I don't care....but I would have ZERO problems going over the LT this season...just so that we can lock him up.....then by next season....wouldn't we be ( barely ) under the LT if we decide to retain Jack and Granger even if we had Landry on the payroll?

Anthem
09-25-2008, 03:43 PM
I would have ZERO problems going over the LT this season.
You'd be willing to pay a guy $8mil/year even though it's not clear that he'd start for this team, and even though we'd likely still be a lotto team with him?

There will be other power forwards. No need to break the bank for Carl, even though he is a nice player.

NapTonius Monk
09-25-2008, 04:42 PM
They matched:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/sports/6021605.html

<!-- BEGIN GALLERY MODULE -->
http://www.chron.com/photos/2008/04/29/13201378/260xStory.jpg

<!-- end floating resource box --> After three quiet months, the Rockets needed less than 24 hours match the Charlotte Bobcats' offer sheet and retain second-year forward Carl Landry.
Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said Thursday that the team would match the offer, worth $9 million over three years. He said it came in within the range he had budgeted.
"We're going to match," Morey said. "I think we had a long time to talk about what we felt like we wanted to do with Carl and this fell within that. It was an easy decision. We want to get Carl in, get the physical done and get him in time for training camp."
The Rockets had requested that Landry undergo an invasive examination on his right knee, but Morey said Thursday that he was unsure if they would make that request again, saying it would depend on the doctor's recommendation.
"With Carl's injury history, there is some risk, but we feel like it is manageable risk," Morey said. "We're excited to bring him back in because we feel he is a big part of what we're doing."
Morey said he expects to have rookie Joey Dorsey signed by the end of the week. Dorsey's agent Lance Young said he and Morey have the framework of deals for one year, three years and four years and will pick one in the next few days.
The team is also expected to sign veteran guard Von Wafer to a non-guaranteed contract in time for training camp.
Center Dikembe Mutombo remains unsigned and could choose to wait through the early part of the season while the Rockets try to reconfigure the roster to move under the NBA luxury tax threshold. Landry's contract would push the Rockets to the point that would trigger the tax, though Morey said he would work to reduce salary.
The Rockets roster seemsto be coming together in time for players to report on Monday with most of the players that had offseason surgery cleared to begin training camp on Tuesday.
Tracy McGrady (shoulder and knee) has been scrimmaging, and Rafer Alston (ankle) practiced on Thursday. Shane Battier (ankle) worked out Thursday morning though he has not had his physical and Steve Francis (knee) said he is hoping to be cleared this weekend.
Landry's return offered an immediate boost.
"We always wanted to sign him to a long-term deal. We got that done. If he plays the way we know he is capable of playing, the money works with the budget I've been given. We didn't want to have the number come in too high because then it would constrain our ability to maneuver in the future. We don't feel like this does that.
"I don't know what coach plans as far as playing time. It will depend on who is playing the best, but if Carl plays the way he did last year, it will be hard to keep him off the floor."