PDA

View Full Version : You may now refer to him as Moped Ellis...

ajbry
09-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Finally, the word is out on Monta Ellis' serious injury, after weeks of ridiculous silence from both Monta's camp and from the Warriors organization.

Dude hurt himself riding a moped. Just seems like a pathetic way to jeopardize your career...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/09/24/SP21134ADN.DTL

The 22-year-old tore the deltoid ligament in his ankle and sustained a high-ankle sprain in what one of the sources labeled as a "low-speed" accident.

This entire situation has been an absolute joke. Monta, who just signed a $66,000,000 contract, will not be attending the team's media day on Friday.

NuffSaid
09-24-2008, 09:59 PM
You're serious!?! He injured himself by riding a moped? That's what the big secret was all about?

I'm sure most NBA contracts prohibit players from taking part in some high risk ventures, such as sky diving, but certainly not against riding a moped.

Why in the world would he try to hide this? It's not like he went out and played a 5-on-5 pickup game or even played full-contact football in the park. We're talking about sustaining an injury from riding a moped...A MOPED!

:p...You just gotta laugh about that.

Anthem
09-24-2008, 10:06 PM
:jamaaltinsley:

:signit:

rexnom
09-24-2008, 10:12 PM
<strike>I can't even begin to explain what's wrong with convincing GS to replace an injured Monta Ellis with Jamaal Tinsley.</strike>

Jamaal Tinsley is the best point guard out there on the market for GS and if they want to stay afloat while Ellis is out, JT is their best hope.

Oneal07
09-24-2008, 10:15 PM
:jamaaltinsley:

:signit:

:laugh:

Bball
09-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Why in the world would he try to hide this?

Probably trying to hide from the ridicule like he's getting here. If it had been a Harley he probably would've proudly fessed up...

-Bball

N8R
09-25-2008, 12:11 AM
They arent allowed to ride motorcycles. I am sure mopeds are in there somewhere. Still I dont understand the risk some of these players take. Just wait for your career to be over and then do whatever you want.

Roaming Gnome
09-25-2008, 12:22 AM
Probably trying to hide from the ridicule like he's getting here. If it had been a Harley he probably would've proudly fessed up...

-Bball

And this would be where I'd expect someone to tell that joke about certain girls and mopeds...

Jonathan
09-25-2008, 09:08 AM
Even with a 66 million dollar contract gas prices are too high.

Vince Neil
09-25-2008, 09:25 AM
And this would be where I'd expect someone to tell that joke about certain girls and mopeds...

I was thinking the same thing. "Fun to ride, but don't want your friends to see you on them"

ajbry
09-25-2008, 10:11 AM
They arent allowed to ride motorcycles. I am sure mopeds are in there somewhere. Still I dont understand the risk some of these players take. Just wait for your career to be over and then do whatever you want.

It was actually specifically noted in Monta's contract that riding a moped was a prohibited activities.

RamBo_Lamar
09-25-2008, 10:18 AM
It seems odd that riding a moped would be prohibited.

I beleive from a legal standpoint, a moped is not considered to be a
motorcycle but rather a motor assisted bicycle.

Could riding a bicycle be prohibited as well?

Speed
09-25-2008, 10:18 AM
I was thinking the same thing. "Fun to ride, but don't want your friends to see you on them"

You all beat me to it!!

count55
09-25-2008, 11:00 AM

I beleive from a legal standpoint, a moped is not considered to be a
motorcycle but rather a motor assisted bicycle.

Could riding a bicycle be prohibited as well?

It's probably not prohibited...question is, "What was he doing?" If he was just tooling along and accidentally took a turn wrong or hit a rock, then it's probably just a run-of-the-mill-can-happen-to-anyone accident.

If he had made a ramp out of plywood and cinder blocks and was trying to jump three hotties, then there might be some issues with the contract.

(But, hey, who hasn't done that at least once in their life?)

My guess is that GS will just be pissed for a while, but won't be in a position to do much about it. (And, to that, I say..."Welcome to my life...grab a beer and settle in.")

ajbry
09-25-2008, 11:17 AM

I know, but given the massive investment, I'm not totally shocked that the Warriors would cover all their bases.

Monta isn't a particularly smart dude, though... He probably forgot about it and thought it would be okay if he rode a moped.

beast23
09-25-2008, 11:39 AM
If he had made a ramp out of plywood and cinder blocks and was trying to jump three hotties, then there might be some issues with the contract.

What's wrong with that? I'd take it. But heck, at 56 I'd be glad just to jump one hottie.

CableKC
09-25-2008, 12:20 PM
I'm guessing that at worst...they will just fine him 50k ( or whatever VladRad got for skiing ) and then move on. Even if the Warriors had the right to do it ( which I am guessing that they do ), there is no way that Monta would be happy ( much less the Players Union ) with doing any re-negotiating of the contract. Clearly Monta was hesitant to reveal anything.....IMHO...not because he was embarressed that someone would laugh at him for riding a Moped....but because he knew he did something that he shouldn't have done ESPECIALLY AFTER signing the contract.

count55
09-25-2008, 12:20 PM
What's wrong with that? I'd take it. But heck, at 56 I'd be glad just to jump one hottie.

At 42, I'd be happier just to have one jump me.

(badump-bump)

JayRedd
09-25-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm sure most NBA contracts prohibit players from taking part in some high risk ventures, such as sky diving, but certainly not against riding a moped.

Motorcycles are generally off-limits as is skiing. Although, usually, it's more of a detterent than something the teams stick to when it comes time to pay salary. I dunno about mopeds but it's not a stretch to imagine they'd be considered within the motorcycle family in the fine print of the contract language.

Jason Williams (Duke), for instance, forfeited his contract by getting hurt on a motorcycle, but the Bulls, not being cold-hearted bast@rds, paid him anyway.

King Tuts Tomb
09-25-2008, 01:04 PM
It's really too bad because he's such a fun player to watch, and also because this could end up costing him millions.

Hope everything turns out alright for him. And I do think the Warriors would be a great fit for Jamaal (who I don't hate with a passion like just about everyone else here).

panhandles
09-25-2008, 01:42 PM
So what's more embarrassing? Monta on a scooter or Baron Davis on Jenny Craig?

"During the NBA off-season, Davis let his fitness slide. "In the off-season, it's kind of hard to maintain day-to-day," he says. "I don't want to get up and cook. And when I pig out, I'm the type of person where there's no limit to what I can do."

I would think he would have a personal trainer and cook.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20228478,00.html

ajbry
09-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Baron's work ethic - and overall interest in basketball - has always been less than stellar. He doesn't like playing ball for a living and he sure as hell doesn't like staying in shape for it.

Warriors fans used to call him 'Black Santa.'