PDA

View Full Version : Report: Knicks to waive Starbury by end of week.

Vince Neil
09-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Report: Knicks prepare to waive Marbury by end of week

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

Stephon Marbury may be in shape physically to join the Knicks on the court, but the Knicks might finally be ready mentally to part ways with their chaotic point guard.

The Knicks are preparing to put Marbury on waivers by the end of the week, several sources with knowledge of the situation told Newsday. The team must await the go-ahead from Madison Square Garden chairman James Dolan, however, because it would involve eating another large chunk of money in a buyout, Newsday reported.

Trying to make a good impression, Stephon Marbury showed up at new coach Mike D'Antoni's news conference in May.

Marbury is entering the final year of his contract, worth $21.9 million.

Once Marbury clears waivers and a buyout is agreed upon, he would be free to sign with any team. Reports in Newsday and the South Florida media have mentioned the Miami Heat, which is in need of a point guard, as having interest.

According to Newsday, Marbury has recovered from January's left ankle surgery, which was needed to remove bone spurs, and has worked out all summer in Southern California, trimming his weight to 200 pounds.

He did not join the other Knicks veterans for scrimmages at the team's training center until Monday, even though the informal workouts had been going on since last week.

Marbury's best performance statistically in 4 seasons with the Knicks was in 2004-05, when he averaged 21.7 points and 8.1 assists a game. Since then, his numbers have declined, even as his feuding with his bosses and his teammates increased.

Marbury had numerous conflicts with former Knicks coaches Larry Brown and Isiah Thomas. The low point may have been in November 2007, when Marbury left without permission and returned to New York while the team was in Phoenix for a game.

The Knicks signed guard Anthony Roberson in July, a further indication that they were ready to jettison Marbury. Roberson played 36 career NBA games with Memphis and Golden State, but spent last season in Turkey and Israel. The Knicks signed him to a deal after he averaged 14.8 points in five games for their summer league team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3604025

Print 'em!

DisplacedKnick
09-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Mistake. Not that I'm a Marbury fan - anything but.

But he's gone at the end of the year and he's an expiring contract that might make finding someone to take on Zach or Curry a little easier. Or, next summer, if he has a decent season, use him in an S&T (for much less $$$) for someone.

Just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Doug
09-23-2008, 11:00 AM
Agreed with rimfire.

He's a huge expiring contract. Aren't those supposed to be valuable?

We'll give you Murphy and Tinsley for him.

rexnom
09-23-2008, 11:07 AM
I think Donnie just reasoned that they wouldn't trade him (they were just gonna let him expire) and that (like JT) he was going to be a negative influence in the locker room, so they got rid of him.

I do agree that they probably could have sent him to a team desperate for cap space (like Memphis) and get a couple of 2010 expirings and possibly a pick for the favor, if not a decent player.

This expands the desperation PG market, which is bad for us. Donnie caving and waiving this guy probably is sending out signals that the Heat and other teams were right to wait on Marbury (and Tinsley, if they are interested). Unfortunate precedent.

avoidingtheclowns
09-23-2008, 11:27 AM

But he's gone at the end of the year and he's an expiring contract that might make finding someone to take on Zach or Curry a little easier. Or, next summer, if he has a decent season, use him in an S&T (for much less $$$) for someone.

thats a MAJOR expiring contract to tag with zach's or curry's. where could you send marbury's $21mil expiring and zach's $14.6mil (not to mention the two extra years for $32mil)?

a team looking for an expiring around the $21mil range is probably hoping to dump salary which makes taking on zach's $47mil not very likely.

it is the same reason why we probably weren't going to be able to just like JO ride out until his final year and try to move murphy or tinsley with him - no team wants to make those types of financial deals ... then you've got to consider the added starbury/zbo nonsense.

count55
09-23-2008, 11:33 AM
it is the same reason why we probably weren't going to be able to just like JO ride out until his final year and try to move murphy or tinsley with him - no team wants to make those types of financial deals ... then you've got to consider the added starbury/zbo nonsense.

This is the reason that I never believed that JO's value would go back up simply because he was an expiring. There's a law of diminishing returns on expiring contracts, and JO and Starbury are well above it.

Neither the Knicks, nor the Pacers, were going to take back $20+mm in Non-expiring contracts, and neither were going to get $20+mm of player value for guys like JO and Starbury if the other team was just looking at them as an expiring contract.

CableKC
09-23-2008, 12:40 PM

I was thinking the same thing.....especially when there are teams out like the Heat and Warriors that are just waiting for them to waive him so that they can pick him up cheap.

I suggested this to the Knicks RealGM board....and other the typical Knicks Fans response.....most of them were tired of Marbury, couldn't care less that other teams were interested in him ( and therefore is a viable trading asset ) and simply wanted to move on.

The second that Marbury hits the market....he's going to the Heat. I just hope that he holds out and signs some 3 year deal...and not for cheap.

duke dynamite
09-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Does this make his shoes any cheaper?

pacergod2
09-23-2008, 04:44 PM
It looks as though Golden State could offer Marbury more money than Miami could. It seems as though Miami could offer right around 2.1M while GS could offer 2.8M. I would think that might come into play. Considering those are the only two teams probably willing to sign the bas tard. Ideally for us, he signs with Golden State. I realistically could see his agent asking for more money from GS and then having Miami offer a two year deal to go back to Golden State and ask for a bigger two year deal. Miami is our only hope for getting rid of Tinsley at this point. But as the season goes on we may have more suitors than people think. Patience may be our biggest virtue, because someone may be more desperate for a PG than we are to get rid of Tinsley and then we actually have leverage.

DisplacedKnick
09-23-2008, 04:47 PM
thats a MAJOR expiring contract to tag with zach's or curry's. where could you send marbury's $21mil expiring and zach's $14.6mil (not to mention the two extra years for $32mil)?

There are about a dozen ways to do it. You've never heard of 3 or 4 team trades? Believe it or not, they have happened.

CableKC
09-23-2008, 05:21 PM
It looks as though Golden State could offer Marbury more money than Miami could. It seems as though Miami could offer right around 2.1M while GS could offer 2.8M. I would think that might come into play. Considering those are the only two teams probably willing to sign the bas tard. Ideally for us, he signs with Golden State. I realistically could see his agent asking for more money from GS and then having Miami offer a two year deal to go back to Golden State and ask for a bigger two year deal. Miami is our only hope for getting rid of Tinsley at this point. But as the season goes on we may have more suitors than people think. Patience may be our biggest virtue, because someone may be more desperate for a PG than we are to get rid of Tinsley and then we actually have leverage.
Moneywise......the amount is minimal IMHO for a guy with a $20 mil buyout waiting to happen.....I would think that for Marbury....it's about where he plays where he can get the most minutes and chance to make the Playoffs.

With GS, he's waiting for Monta to retun to take minutes away from him at the PG spot...whereas with the Heat....there is no one on the team that can take away minutes from him.

With the right moves....the Heat can make a decent run at the Playoffs in the East.....and by next 2 seasons...they could be in the hunt for at least 2 very solid Top-Tier FA.

Shade
09-23-2008, 06:10 PM

Agreed. I see absolutely no benefit to releasing him, other than just not wanting him to be around the team.

count55
09-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Nobody was going to trade for Marbury.

Nobody.

The Knicks were not going to be willing to take back $20mm of salaries, a large chunk of which (if not all) would've had to extend beyond this year in order for Marbury's expiring to have any value.

If they had no intention in playing him, and they likely realized that there was exceedingly unlikely that they were going to get a trade to their liking, then why not get him the hell out of town?

What's the value in having him sit around the team when he's proven to be a problem in the past?

BTW...I'm not entirely convinced that he'll ever play again. I simply don't see him being a guy taking a small paycheck to be a part of a good team.

pacergod2
09-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Cable you have a very valid point. I figured that but was making a point I guess. Great thoughts.

Also, there is no realistic way for the Knicks to trade Marbury. Seriously. To take on more than one year of salary at 22M worth of salaries back means you are taking on extra money. Who gives a damn if he doesn't play for you. What you would get back in return could be no more than **** players with bloated contracts. Just like Marbury. If they are all expiring you would have extra players on your roster you don't figure to build around anyway. There is really no point in making the effort to trade him. Buy him out in his last year is like letting him expire anyway. That is the most beneficial thing the Knicks can do from a management standpoint. Waive him and try to agree on a buyout where you can save double the money off his contract and whatever the luxury tax savings would be.

DisplacedKnick
09-23-2008, 09:04 PM
And just to reinforce the fact that NY media is completely clueless:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3605502

Pouring water on widespread speculation that the Knicks will waive Stephon Marbury, president Donnie Walsh said the controversial point guard will be with the team when it begins official workouts next week.

"He's coming to training camp," Walsh said of Marbury in a telephone interview Tuesday evening.

A newspaper report out of New York Tuesday morning said the Knicks are planning to waive Marbury by the end of the week. The move, which has been speculated about for months in the media, would eventually lead to a buyout of the $21.9 million Marbury is owed in the final year of his contract.

"This thing is initiated in the press and then I have to ask questions about it," Walsh said, sounding somewhat perturbed. "I haven't approached [Marbury] about a buyout."

When asked whether he's reached out to the point guard to alleviate concerns about his status with the team, Walsh said, "I talked to Stephon once and he seems okay about all of this."

Marbury is coming off the worst season of his 12-year career. He had a famous falling-out with his coach, president and one-time mentor Isiah Thomas, played in only 24 games because of injury, underwent surgery on his left ankle, and averaged career-lows in points (13.9), assists (4.7), rebounds (2.5) and minutes (33.6).

But at 31 years old, Marbury is still fairly young, and reports are that he spent the summer getting in the best shape he's been in in years.

Walsh also said former Knicks guard Allan Houston will probably join the team at training camp. He said Houston, 37, has been working out with the Knicks at their practice facility and that his shooting touch is as smooth as ever.

Walsh is going to meet with Houston on Wednesday to further discuss the situation. He would not guarantee Houston a spot on the roster, though.

"I don't know the answer to that," Walsh said, when asked whether Houston would definitely play for the Knicks this season. "But as far as putting the ball in the basket, he absolutely can still shoot. He has to be in more intense situations."

Houston, who averaged 17.3 points over his 12-year career, was forced to retire in 2005 because of an arthritic left knee. He returned briefly last season before bowing out during the Knicks training camp.

Walsh said it will be different this time around.

"In that case, he hadn't worked out that much," Walsh said. "He just came in and started playing. Now, he feels like he's in better position to go out and play. I accept that."

The question is will New York still accept Marbury.

That's good - there are 21 million reasons to keep him through the season, plus without him NY doesn't have a starting-quality PG. We're gonna suck anyway and if there are problems you can buy him out any time.

NapTonius Monk
09-23-2008, 09:21 PM
And just to reinforce the fact that NY media is completely clueless:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3605502

That's good - there are 21 million reasons to keep him through the season, plus without him NY doesn't have a starting-quality PG. We're gonna suck anyway and if there are problems you can buy him out any time.

I guess the question also is how does the team feel about him?

DisplacedKnick
09-23-2008, 09:34 PM
I guess the question also is how does the team feel about him?

That team's so screwed up they don't know how they feel about anything. But I'd say having had a major problem with Isiah probably works in his favor.

Kuq_e_Zi91
09-23-2008, 09:38 PM
What about Chris Duhon? Didn't he come in to be the starter?

DisplacedKnick
09-23-2008, 10:07 PM
What about Chris Duhon? Didn't he come in to be the starter?

I might be surprised but he's had chances to show he could start before and hasn't done it. Maybe this will be different but I doubt it myself.

Kuq_e_Zi91
09-23-2008, 11:07 PM
I might be surprised but he's had chances to show he could start before and hasn't done it. Maybe this will be different but I doubt it myself.

We agree. Maybe D'Antoni can work wonders for his game. Or maybe I'm just being hopeful because he's on my fantasy team.

Bball
09-23-2008, 11:13 PM
That sounds like the Donnie Do Nothing we all know and love. About the Starbury issue, he's doing nothing. Need something to give the fans a pacifier? How about a 37yr old Allan Houston who can "absolutely still shoot" hanging around the team.

The NY media and fanbase will be calling for this man's head in short order. He ain't in Indiana any more. There will be some talk how he's setting up the table for the FA market but the reality will be he's just being his normal 'do nothing' self while Rome burns.

-Bball

Will Galen
09-24-2008, 01:54 AM
That sounds like the Donnie Do Nothing we all know and love. About the Starbury issue, he's doing nothing. Need something to give the fans a pacifier? How about a 37yr old Allan Houston who can "absolutely still shoot" hanging around the team.

The NY media and fanbase will be calling for this man's head in short order. He ain't in Indiana any more. There will be some talk how he's setting up the table for the FA market but the reality will be he's just being his normal 'do nothing' self while Rome burns.

-Bball

Sometimes doing nothing is the best thing to do! Not that I agree with the "do nothing" name. About 2010-11, Hicks' versus Knicks will be reborn. it will be the Pacers and Knicks in the conference finals. Mark my words and all that rot!

Bball
09-24-2008, 03:01 AM
About 2010-11, Hicks' versus Knicks will be reborn. it will be the Pacers and Knicks in the conference finals.

That would be fun... Altho as long as you are half right (and it's the Pacers in the ECF's) it'll still be fine by me.

-Bball

Anthem
09-24-2008, 09:07 AM
That would be fun... Altho as long as you are half right (and it's the Pacers in the ECF's) it'll still be fine by me.
Really? That "ECF Champions" banner really calls out to you, huh?

I can't believe you care so little about winning that you'd be content with a deep playoff run instead of a championship.

:flirt: