Sollozzo
09-17-2008, 01:26 AM
Shocking.

duke dynamite
09-17-2008, 02:23 AM
%&#*@)^!!!

Bball
09-17-2008, 02:59 AM
No matter how good/great a player is, if he can't staying on the playing field/court then he becomes a liability.

Are we venturing into this territory with Sanders?

-Bball

Erik
09-17-2008, 06:43 AM
Thank God for that early Bye this year.

D-BONE
09-17-2008, 08:16 AM
Certainly awful news for us. Sanders is an integral part of our defense. He really sets the tone.

The only silver lining is that Freeney is playing and looking pretty good (crossing fingers, knocking on wood). I'd prefer to have both as they most drive our defensive unit. However, if I can only have one, I take Freeney. I think his impact is potentially more momentum or game-changing. Not to mention our relative depth of DBs compared to depth of DLs.

Shade
09-17-2008, 08:30 AM
The more things change... :disappoin

avoidingtheclowns
09-17-2008, 09:17 AM
i blame JO

Aw Heck
09-17-2008, 10:51 AM
Sucks. But it doesn't bother me too much. As long as the Colts are 100% and clicking by the time the playoffs roll around, I'll be happy.

naptownmenace
09-17-2008, 11:21 AM
Sucks. But it doesn't bother me too much. As long as the Colts are 100% and clicking by the time the playoffs roll around, I'll be happy.

This puts a major damper on them even making the playoffs now. The only strength of the Colts defense is their secondary and Bob is the key to that. Without him it throws our entire defense completely out of whack. Bob is the guy that often stops the run once the opposing team's RB blows by one of our guards and linebackers (which happens about 50% of the time).

Our only hope is that his backup has a breakthrough and holds down the fort. :(

Sollozzo
09-17-2008, 12:13 PM
I read on coltsfreaks that Clayton is reporting that Ugoh will miss 3 weeks.

Here we go again.

Since86
09-17-2008, 12:15 PM
I read on coltsfreaks that Clayton is reporting that Ugoh will miss 3 weeks.

Here we go again.

I'd rather it be at the beginning of the season than at the end.

Sollozzo
09-17-2008, 12:23 PM
I'd rather it be at the beginning of the season than at the end.

We can't afford too much of this with the monster of a schedule that we have.

I'll trust in the Colts to compensate like they do every year. But this is certainly the hardest schedule that we have had since we began our dominance 5 years ago. I'll be so impressed if we can pull off the division win this year. Thankfully Jacksonville is 0-2. I think 11 wins might win this.

Hicks
09-17-2008, 12:24 PM
This doesn't bode well for the team. Usually when injuries pile up like this, even when everyone comes back (if they do) they usually are not in rhythm to make a serious push in the playoffs.

Sollozzo
09-17-2008, 12:32 PM
This doesn't bode well for the team. Usually when injuries pile up like this, even when everyone comes back (if they do) they usually are not in rhythm to make a serious push in the playoffs.

That's not true at all. Sanders played 4 games in 06 (last game played before playoffs was week 13), and Clark missed the entire month of December.

Sanders came back and gave a legendary spark to the defense, while Clark was Mannings most consistent target during that Super Bowl run.

The difference between 06 and last year was that in 06 we actually got our important guys back for the playoffs entirely healthy. We never got Freeney back last year, and Harrison was a shell of his normal self.

Hicks
09-17-2008, 12:36 PM
Were the Colts facing this many injuries in 06? Manning obviously was 100% at the time, he's not now (or just coming back I guess; still not his usual prime). Saturday is out, and others are out as well.

I don't follow the Colts nearly as seriously as I do the Pacers, but from what I understand there are a lot more injuries so far this year, aren't there?

Since86
09-17-2008, 12:58 PM
We can't afford too much of this with the monster of a schedule that we have.

I'll trust in the Colts to compensate like they do every year. But this is certainly the hardest schedule that we have had since we began our dominance 5 years ago. I'll be so impressed if we can pull off the division win this year. Thankfully Jacksonville is 0-2. I think 11 wins might win this.

Before the actual season started, and everyone still had their panties in a bunch about how good Jacksonville was gonna be and how Houston was poised to make a leap up this year, I might be agreeing with you.

But then reality sets in and we see that Jacksonville is still mentally handicaped, and Houston is still Houston.

The Jags are up next, and to be frank, I'm still not all that worried.

Then a bye, then Houston, and then Baltimore. Manning and the offense started clicking at the end of the Minn. game, and if they can keep making progress Houston and Balt shouldn't be able to put enough points on the board.

That would make it four weeks. A bye, should be wins at Houston/Balt, then maybe a pickle in Jacksonville.

That puts the record at 3-2 with Sanders coming back, if the time table is correct.

Not only that those on the PUP will be able to play after the bye so hopefully that gets Lilja back, and if Ugoh is out three weeks, then he would be back after the Houston game.

This is the rest of the schedule after Balt:
Packers
Titans
Pats
Steelers
Texans
Chargers
Browns
Bengals
Jags
Titans

If Indy manages to beat Jacksonville once this year, while holding down Tenn. and Houston, they'd still win the division since Jax lost to Tenn. week one.

Surely people can start getting healthy with another 6wks, that would be the first Tenn. game.

The schedule looked a lot more brutal when the pundits thought some teams had morphed themselves into contenders.

Jonathan
09-17-2008, 01:44 PM
You knew this was going to happen when the Colts signed him to big money in the offseason ie Freeney last year.

ChicagoJ
09-17-2008, 04:13 PM
I don't think Jacksonville is mentally handicapped. Four of their five OL starters are on IR already, I believe.

You can probably count them out, but it is physical, not mental.

One could argue that losing that much of your OL to injury is even worse than losing your QB to injury. The backup QB can still hand the ball off to a running game. A backup OL can pretty much ensure that you have no offense all season long.

I don't think the Jags defense is good enough to keep its opponents to 6 points or less per game. I don't see them scoring 16 or more very often for the rest of the season, unless their defense and special teams put up a bunch of points.

Lord Helmet
09-17-2008, 04:26 PM
I don't think Jacksonville is mentally handicapped. Four of their five OL starters are on IR already, I believe.

One could argue that losing that much of your OL to injury is even worse than losing your QB to injury. The backup QB can still hand the ball off to a running game. A backup OL can pretty much ensure that you have no offense all season long.

I don't think the Jags defense is good enough to keep its opponents to 6 points or less per game. I don't see them scoring 16 or more very often for the rest of the season, unless their defense and special teams put up a bunch of points.
Well people would argue they are a little immature at some points. They get caught up in the action and get really stupid penalties.

For instance the last game against them last year, they had some big plays but would get them called back because they'd take some late hits on us.

I can remember that happening a lot.

Now you can say that a lot of teams get those kind of penalties sometimes, and they do, but the Jags just get a lot of hype, even doing some talking in the media and then on game day, play immature.

But what the hell do I know, they're apparently hurting worse than we are now.

Slick Pinkham
09-17-2008, 04:33 PM

I've seen their coach prepare them for big games (e.g. "Let's just take away the bomb, make Brady have to complete short passes-- surely that will frustrate him and he'd never go 26 for 28, and they could never run for, oh, 145 yards at 5 ypc).

I've seen their players make stupid boneheaded game-changing penalties and other blunders.

It may be physical now, but that would mean that their issues are BOTH physical AND mental.

Since86
09-17-2008, 04:34 PM
When your head coach gets a personal foul penalty, the play after your linebacker gets one, in a close game with a team driving, I wouldn't call them the picture for mentally tough.

That's exactly what happened against the Colts. Del Rio is a hot head who likes to stomp around and rip off his head gear when anything goes wrong. It leads to his players acting in the same manner and they lose their focus. They hardly ever win close games, because they melt down.

As long as Del Rio is on the sidelines, they won't be going far.

ChicagoJ
09-17-2008, 06:31 PM
That's all true, but with Del Rio they also hit as hard as any team in football. They'll always be in the mix with their "regular" OLs and DLs because they will often win the line of scrimmage.

Right now, they can't even count on that.

Gamble1
09-17-2008, 09:55 PM
Sanders injury past is a product of our front seven inability to stop the run.

Not to many safeties have been injured on passing plays but when you require your safety to take on guards then you have problems.

Even without Sanders we will beat the jaguars.

Slick Pinkham
09-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Ty Law is still available since nobody met his asking price, whatever it is.

He probably should switch from CB to safety anyway, though he is still a lot better than many defensive backs in this league. And if he picked off Peyton any more, it would only be in practice. ;)

Moses
09-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Pretty brutal loss to an already banged up defense. You guys get Saturday back this week which should make a huge difference in terms of giving Peyton time to drop back.

D-BONE
09-18-2008, 08:19 PM
If we're going to trade or bring in an unsigned vet, I'd rather look into investing in a DL, especially a DT, if there's anybody halfway decent. Melvin Bullit is not Bob Sanders, but he's acceptable, especially with an addition up front.

naptownmenace
09-22-2008, 12:30 PM
This puts a major damper on them even making the playoffs now. The only strength of the Colts defense is their secondary and Bob is the key to that. Without him it throws our entire defense completely out of whack. Bob is the guy that often stops the run once the opposing team's RB blows by one of our guards and linebackers (which happens about 50% of the time).

I'm still sticking with this thought after yesterday's tough loss. This team is a defensive shell without Bob.