PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one on PD that has a PS3?

CableKC
09-15-2008, 06:54 PM
I see all these NBA2k9 XBox 360 sign-up threads.....but none for the PS3 version.

Am I the only one that has a PS3 here on PD? :(

duke dynamite
09-15-2008, 06:56 PM
I've got one. But I hate it.

It's just a "space-waster" right now. BD movies are still too expensive for me, I still buy DVDs.

CableKC
09-15-2008, 06:58 PM
You don't play video games on it?

Shade
09-15-2008, 07:00 PM
I have one. I don't know if I intend to get any of the NBA games, though.

GO!!!!!
09-15-2008, 07:34 PM
Intresting thread... what do you guys base your opions on ?

Worse graphics ? Online interface ? Layout ?

I had the choice and bought mine mainly because i got a good package deal with the Elite and most of my friends had a XBOX... but apart from that no real reason..

Shade
09-15-2008, 07:52 PM
I don't play online hardly ever, so X-Box doesn't really appeal to me.

And I like watching my Blu-Rays.

Kstat
09-15-2008, 08:11 PM
I've got one too, but I'd never dream of buying a sports game on it.

%95 of its use if for PC streaming or Blu Ray movies.

Shade
09-15-2008, 08:51 PM
I've got one too, but I'd never dream of buying a sports game on it.

%95 of its use if for PC streaming or Blu Ray movies.

Why is that?

duke dynamite
09-15-2008, 09:27 PM
You don't play video games on it?

I have one game for it. I never play it.

I have about 9 Blu-Ray disc movies for it, but I hardly buy them. I got the PS3 because of my SonyCard gave me $100 off it for a limited time.

I use my Xbox 360 religiously, though. It is so much better when it comes to connecting and playing with my friends. Since I have Windows Vista Ultimate, it gives me a nicer, familiar user interface to stream and access my media on my PC with using Windows Media Center.

The Playstation Network trophies is a nice little addition to online play, but they are too little too late in the sense that Xbox Live has had the Achievements feature since launch.

In my opinion, the PS3 is a nice piece of technology, I just feel like Sony over-glorified it and there aren't too many good first-party titles for it. The only thing a PS3 has over the Xbox 360 is a proprietary Blu-Ray disc drive. From what I understand is that Microsoft has a better relationship with third-party developers and hence why Rock Band 2 was released for the system way before the others.
(Don't hate, if I am wrong cite your source instead of me looking like a crackpot.)

I will by buying LittleBigPlanet next month, though. I also am kind of waiting to see what Playstation Home will bring to the table.

Right now, the thing just sets next to my Xbox 360 and HD-DVD drive (:P) unused.

GO!!!!!
09-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Intresting, thanks for the explaination.... can't say i have watched to many BR DVD's to notice the difference...

duke dynamite
09-15-2008, 09:35 PM
Intresting, thanks for the explaination.... can't say i have watched to many BR DVD's to notice the difference...

I have a 46-inch Sony HDTV. I have a close proximity to everything in my room, it has made me more aware to the detail that BD has in comparison to DVD.

I have both an HD-DVD player (obviously a waste now) and the Playstation 3. I have not seen a difference between those or my DirecTV HD receiver at all, but when I watch things in standard definition, it is blatantly obvious that the picture quality is a lot worse than HDTV.

Kstat
09-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Why is that?

Because xbox live kills anything sony can offer, and nobody buys sports games to play alone anymore.

Eindar
09-15-2008, 11:26 PM
I own both 360 and PS3, and while I consider the PS3 to be the better piece of equipment, it doesn't make sense for me to buy an online-capable game on the PS3 for two reasons: 1) all my friends play on the 360 and 2) Xbox Live and, more importantly, Achievements, have been better implemented for the 360. Even when you look at Trophies, Sony had an excellent opportunity to simply steal Achievements, and then improve on them, and they couldn't even get that right. I'm hoping they don't manage to completely screw up Home.

From my perspective, PS3 has the edge on hardware, but Microsoft (naturally) has a big edge in software. It's basically a case of each company being better at what it does in its other operations.

I have a 46-inch Sony HDTV. I have a close proximity to everything in my room, it has made me more aware to the detail that BD has in comparison to DVD.

I have both an HD-DVD player (obviously a waste now) and the Playstation 3. I have not seen a difference between those or my DirecTV HD receiver at all, but when I watch things in standard definition, it is blatantly obvious that the picture quality is a lot worse than HDTV.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that it's really hard to notice the difference between 1080i and 1080p unless your TV is essentially larger than 55". I have a 65" TV, and I can say with certainty that I can tell a significant difference between the two formats. Having said that, either format makes standard definition almost unwatchable.

Natston
09-15-2008, 11:59 PM
I have one that stopped working, and it's still sitting here waiting to be sent in...

duke dynamite
09-16-2008, 02:34 AM
I own both 360 and PS3, and while I consider the PS3 to be the better piece of equipment, it doesn't make sense for me to buy an online-capable game on the PS3 for two reasons: 1) all my friends play on the 360 and 2) Xbox Live and, more importantly, Achievements, have been better implemented for the 360. Even when you look at Trophies, Sony had an excellent opportunity to simply steal Achievements, and then improve on them, and they couldn't even get that right. I'm hoping they don't manage to completely screw up Home.

From my perspective, PS3 has the edge on hardware, but Microsoft (naturally) has a big edge in software. It's basically a case of each company being better at what it does in its other operations.

I don't really want to start anything, but the Playstation 3 cannot survive on third party games alone. The technology is there but it is not being utilized. Sony has been doing this longer, but MS has the upper hand. I really hope that Sony comes up with something spectacular (LittleBigPlanet, Home) so I can use the darn thing.

I am not sure about the resolution, but I think of has a lot to do with the quality of HDMI cable you use. It all looks good to me at 1080i.

Kuq_e_Zi91
09-16-2008, 10:26 AM
I bought the 360 first because at the time the PS3 was around $700 and I was very happy with it for a few months. Then...it happened. It started freezing continually first, then it wouldn't turn on anymore. Then it was the Rings of Death.

It was then that I decided to get a PS3, and the price had dropped also. I got Live and 2k8 for it and I've been very happy with it. No problems at all, (knock on wood) and I love the ability to use the internet. I also love how you can charge the controllers instead of having to buy tons of batteries. Then its the free online feature.

NBA 2K9 on PS3...can't wait.

Shade
09-16-2008, 01:17 PM
In terms of hardware, there is no comparison; the PS3 is far superior.

Sony still has a bit to catch up with Microsoft's online service, but the PSN has improved leaps and bounds since it's inception, and it's still free.

ilive4sports
09-16-2008, 01:20 PM
I have a PS3 and have no complaints at all with it. I'm just not a huge halo guy or anything like that and I feel the PS3 is the better system of the two plus the features it has just made more sense to me to get the PS3. I'm limited on buying games now that I'm broke, so I probably wont get any until Christmas now. Unless I buy Madden 09 before then.

Shade
09-16-2008, 02:18 PM
I have a PS3 and have no complaints at all with it. I'm just not a huge halo guy or anything like that and I feel the PS3 is the better system of the two plus the features it has just made more sense to me to get the PS3. I'm limited on buying games now that I'm broke, so I probably wont get any until Christmas now. Unless I buy Madden 09 before then.

The PS3 is definitely the better system for me, as I rarely do any online gaming and I love using the extra features that the 360 is missing, like the Blu-Ray player.

For online gamers, I'd go with a 360 right now, though Sony is starting to narrow the gap a bit.

ilive4sports
09-16-2008, 04:18 PM
The PS3 is definitely the better system for me, as I rarely do any online gaming and I love using the extra features that the 360 is missing, like the Blu-Ray player.

For online gamers, I'd go with a 360 right now, though Sony is starting to narrow the gap a bit.

Agreed. I have played online a few times and really havent had any problems. Right now I still have to figure out a way to hook it up to the internet in the dorm. No wireless internet in here. I cant just hard wire it right to the jack because you need your physical IP Address to plug into the jack to actually connect to the internet. I'm thinking if i get an adapter to plug two Ethernet cables into my laptop I can essentially use my laptop as a router for the PS3.

duke dynamite
09-16-2008, 05:16 PM

Eh?

Shade
09-16-2008, 05:26 PM
Eh?

Did I stutter? :-p

MagicRat
09-16-2008, 06:38 PM
I have a PS3, but bought it strictly as a Blu-Ray player.

I have since broken the strictness of my original purchase and gotten Madden 09. I'll probably end up with 2k9 as well and that'll probably be it for me......

ajbry
09-16-2008, 06:49 PM
What's the point of having free online access when there's nobody to play against?

With XBOX Live, it's actually worth the small amount of money (relative to the system) because the online community is so much larger...

Shade
09-16-2008, 07:14 PM
XBL has also been around a lot longer. It takes a while to get established.

ilive4sports
09-16-2008, 07:47 PM
I've always been able to find people to play against/with online on my PS3. I'm not saying its as good as xbox live, but it is much better than what it started as.

Kstat
09-16-2008, 08:37 PM
You can find people to play, just not many that you know and trust.

duke dynamite
09-16-2008, 09:45 PM
XBL has also been around a lot longer. It takes a while to get established.

Eh, Playstation has had online capabilities longer than the Xbox has. The Playstation 2 started pushing out titles for online game play since 2001, a year before the Xbox was released. Anyone remember Final Fantasy XI?

Xbox Live was implimented in late 2002, which revolutionized the online console service industry. It did not start it.

I don't have any friends on the Playstation Network. I don't mind.

tora tora
09-16-2008, 11:10 PM
My PS3 is never used. Achievements own me.

CableKC
09-17-2008, 02:15 AM
Oh well.....I guess I will be one of the few PS3 NBA2k9 player on PD then. If anyone ever gets NBA2k9 for PS3...let me know...I'm up for an online game.

duke dynamite
09-17-2008, 02:49 AM
Just add me as a friend, anyway. I may rent a game or two.

duke_dynamite

Erik
09-17-2008, 06:35 AM
I see all these NBA2k9 XBox 360 sign-up threads.....but none for the PS3 version.

Am I the only one that has a PS3 here on PD? :(I play Call of Duty 4 on-line alot, that's about it. I can rent a sports game sometme if anyone wants to play, add me. My gametag is earaik33

travmil
09-17-2008, 06:58 AM
I have a PS3, and have one game. My daughter and I both played and beat Ratchet and Clank Future, and I've played it only sparingly since. I've gotten two other games from Gamefly, Drake's Fortune, and Metal Gear Solid 4. I didn't beat Drake, but did make it through MGS4.

With that said, I'm about to start playing it a LOT more. I just sent my FOURTH Xbox 360 back to Microsoft for RROD. As soon as it comes back I'm cutting my losses on it and selling it and all the games. I cant afford to dump a grand into something that becomes an unreliable paperweight every 6 months. I know Microsoft extended the warranty for that problem, but it's becoming clear that they are just trying to string everyone with the problem along until it's no longer under warranty. After the extended warranty expires, if you get the RROD it will cost you $99 to fix every time. I'm not gonna do that, and have decided that it's time to get rid of it because it's more trouble than it's worth.

Shade
09-17-2008, 08:29 AM
I have a PS3, and have one game. My daughter and I both played and beat Ratchet and Clank Future, and I've played it only sparingly since. I've gotten two other games from Gamefly, Drake's Fortune, and Metal Gear Solid 4. I didn't beat Drake, but did make it through MGS4.

With that said, I'm about to start playing it a LOT more. I just sent my FOURTH Xbox 360 back to Microsoft for RROD. As soon as it comes back I'm cutting my losses on it and selling it and all the games. I cant afford to dump a grand into something that becomes an unreliable paperweight every 6 months. I know Microsoft extended the warranty for that problem, but it's becoming clear that they are just trying to string everyone with the problem along until it's no longer under warranty. After the extended warranty expires, if you get the RROD it will cost you $99 to fix every time. I'm not gonna do that, and have decided that it's time to get rid of it because it's more trouble than it's worth.

My friend's practically brand new 360 craps out all the time. It's amazing how poorly manufactured the system is.

Hicks
09-17-2008, 08:45 AM
Mine was purchased in May of 2007 and it was just fine until recently. It's had spells of freezing up, making me restart the system.

Recently it gave me a single red light (not the three of death) and a warning message, but when I shut down and turned it back on it worked again and that's been a week or so now.

I still expect it to die soon, though.

Suaveness
09-17-2008, 11:42 AM
I've had no problem with my Wii. I'm not really a great fan of online gaming, as I'd rather play with people I know. It's not fun for me unless I know the person I'm making fun of (or being made fun of by). And the games for Wii are finally starting to get better. Next year will be very promising.

duke dynamite
09-17-2008, 12:24 PM
I've had no problem with my Wii. I'm not really a great fan of online gaming, as I'd rather play with people I know. It's not fun for me unless I know the person I'm making fun of (or being made fun of by). And the games for Wii are finally starting to get better. Next year will be very promising.
They'll never get better. I just bought Mario Kart Wii, though.

ilive4sports
09-17-2008, 12:26 PM

The Wii is pretty cool. When I went out to Cali to visit my family, they had just bought one. Only had the Wii Sports games and such, but still was pretty cool. Its completely different than any other system.

duke dynamite
09-17-2008, 02:59 PM
The Wii is pretty cool. When I went out to Cali to visit my family, they had just bought one. Only had the Wii Sports games and such, but still was pretty cool. Its completely different than any other system.
But still has the graphics capabilities of the GameCube. The fun factor is there, but it really doesn't stack against the other two consoles.

ilive4sports
09-17-2008, 05:15 PM
But still has the graphics capabilities of the GameCube. The fun factor is there, but it really doesn't stack against the other two consoles.
I completely agree. I couldnt own one as my main console.

I really need to get Madden 09 for PS3. Ive played NCAA 09 so much that its not as fun anymore.

duke dynamite
09-17-2008, 08:47 PM
I completely agree. I couldnt own one as my main console.

I really need to get Madden 09 for PS3. Ive played NCAA 09 so much that its not as fun anymore.

The Wii is in the opposite boat as the PS3. While the PS3 has a major void in first-party titles, that is all the Wii has to their name.

Nintendo has really put themselves in a "generation gap" per se, since it is still using the GameCube's graphics hardware, thus having third-party developers scramble and a lot of R&D is lost for the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 consoles. In turn you get games with watered-down features and all the hype going into buying a game is lost once played.

Nintendo really gained a lot of momentum when they re-released the DS Lite, the fun factor is there and the games are there. It just really stinks that the potential for a great console (fun factor+next-generation graphics) were not put into that mix going into November of 2006 when the console was released.

You guys can take this how ever you wish, but I know quite a few people (mainly students at the campus I work at) that have purchased a Wii and have set it down for a while due to the lack of games. Before purchasing Mario Kart Wii this weekend I was one of those people as well.

Nintendo has a great concept, I just hope it can grow into something bigger.

Eindar
09-18-2008, 12:35 AM
I don't really want to start anything, but the Playstation 3 cannot survive on third party games alone. The technology is there but it is not being utilized. Sony has been doing this longer, but MS has the upper hand. I really hope that Sony comes up with something spectacular (LittleBigPlanet, Home) so I can use the darn thing.

I am not sure about the resolution, but I think of has a lot to do with the quality of HDMI cable you use. It all looks good to me at 1080i.

Sorry, the bolded part is one of my major, major, major pet peeves. There is no such thing as "better" HDMI cables. A $100 Monster HDMI cable will give you the exact same performance as a $4 cable from monoprice.com

HDMI isn't just a cable, it's a standardization, which means that all the cables have to meet the same criteria for performance. Also, HDMI is a digital format, which means you either get the picture or you don't. So unless your HDMI cable is causing your picture to stutter or freeze, there is no "better" cable. Also, in that case, your HDMI cable is broken.

duke dynamite
09-18-2008, 07:20 PM
Sorry, the bolded part is one of my major, major, major pet peeves. There is no such thing as "better" HDMI cables. A $100 Monster HDMI cable will give you the exact same performance as a $4 cable from monoprice.com

HDMI isn't just a cable, it's a standardization, which means that all the cables have to meet the same criteria for performance. Also, HDMI is a digital format, which means you either get the picture or you don't. So unless your HDMI cable is causing your picture to stutter or freeze, there is no "better" cable. Also, in that case, your HDMI cable is broken.

Whoa, sorry there, bud.

I have no broken cables, BTW.

Shade
09-18-2008, 09:43 PM
Mine was purchased in May of 2007 and it was just fine until recently. It's had spells of freezing up, making me restart the system.

Recently it gave me a single red light (not the three of death) and a warning message, but when I shut down and turned it back on it worked again and that's been a week or so now.

I still expect it to die soon, though.

It's a major problem when you come to expect your several hundred-dollar machine to die after a year.

Shade
09-18-2008, 09:44 PM

In addition to that, I have both HDMI and component cables. I don't notice any difference in picture quality between the two.

Kstat
09-19-2008, 02:37 AM
In addition to that, I have both HDMI and component cables. I don't notice any difference in picture quality between the two.

you won't, because hdmi only kicks in when there's 1080p involved.

Merz
09-23-2008, 01:31 AM
Hmm...with all these people owning a PS3 and not using them I'm wondering....

Would anyone like to sell?

for cheap?