PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh at Cleveland Sunday Night Football 9/14/08

Lord Helmet
09-14-2008, 07:40 PM
:steelers: (1-0) The Steelers would enjoy a repeat performance from last week in which they beat the Texans, 38-17.

:browns: (0-1) After a tough loss to the Cowboys last week, the Browns hope to right the ship and get a win in their home opener.

Time: 8:15 PM ET

Television: :nbcsports:

ChicagoJ
09-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Excellent conditions for two physcial teams to get in the mud and hit each other. Browns fans have the enthusiasm that Bears fans have, but without the delusions of greatness that make Bears fans so damn funny.

Lousy coaching from Cleveland. I'm dumbfounded at how badly they managed the clock and scoreboard. Kicking a FG when you're down 10-3 means you still need to score a TD. Duh. And the timeouts? I love how Romeo says "we" didn't manage the clock very well. Wouldn't that be YOU, Romeo?

This was a much better test for our new O-line than the pathetic Texans were. I think we are showing that Kemoeatu is a suitable replacement for Faneca. Hartwig is an upgrade over Sean Mahan, but we still aren't getting the quality of blocking from C that we have grown accustomed to during the Webster-Dawson-Hartings era that lasted thirty seasons.

Moses
09-15-2008, 12:13 PM
The Steelers did not impress me that much tonight. I realize they played in poor conditions and that Ben had a separated shoulder...but I think the Broncos are the team to beat in the AFC this year..their offense is really clicking. I am not saying the Steelers are bad, I just think they are on par with every other good team in the AFC and the only one that has stuck out so far to me is Denver.

Sollozzo
09-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Denver beat Oakland and needed the refs to gift wrap them the game in order to beat SD.

They still have a lot more to show.

ilive4sports
09-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Yeah, everyone knows Denver lost that game. I'm not a Steelers fan at all but I think they have a rather good shot at taking the NFC. As does Denver, and watch out for Buffalo.

Don't worry Pittsburgh will lose in Philly next week.

Slick Pinkham
09-15-2008, 12:46 PM
I didn't get to watch much of Denver but I'm impressed with their offense. You also have to like their elite cornerbacks, but the rest of their D looks awfully suspect. They were certainly shredded to bits by the likes of Philip Rivers.

This is the time to win 39-38 games, but I can't take them as seriously in Decemer unless they tighten their D a lot.

I still have to favor the Steelers and, ummm... , that team that just won their 21st straight regular season game. ;)

It will be interesting to see if the Titans are for real. The Jax win was nice, and they dominated the Bengals it seems. The Bills have been my sleeper all offseason. They lost games they we good enough to win last year, and have the fundamentals covered (line play).

What a mess that Bengals franchise is...

ilive4sports
09-15-2008, 01:43 PM
I want to see a bit more of the Patriots still with Cassel. Right now I think they will be in the playoffs just because they do have a lot of talent. Either NE or Buffalo will win that division.

Tennessee is in an interesting position. Can Kerry Collins get them through the whole season or will Young return and how will he handle that? Its something to keep your eye on.

I'm not going to sleep on the Colts as they are only going to get better as Peyton gets into season form. I think Dungy will be able to fix that run D a bit too.

San Diego is another team not to sleep on even though they are 0-2. Did LT even play yesterday? Sure the back up did great, but still LT is LT. Plus they should have won yesterday.

Denver has a pretty potent offense, but their D is very suspect. While I like Cutler, hes a lot like Farve and thats good and bad. Hes got a rocket arm and makes some unbelievable throws, but makes some bad decisions and throws some costly ints (like the one that set up the TD for SD to take the lead).

Its still really early and the AFC is rather wide open. Id say more so than the NFC at this point.

Is it 8:30 yet? I'm ready for some Monday Night Football.

ChicagoJ
09-15-2008, 03:05 PM
Yeah, everyone knows Denver lost that game. I'm not a Steelers fan at all but I think they have a rather good shot at taking the NFC. As does Denver, and watch out for Buffalo.

Don't worry Pittsburgh will lose in Philly next week.

We haven't won in Philly in several decades. Should be a good test and I'm looking forward to this game. A lot.

The Texans were terrible in week one, but may get a lot better when they get their timing down. They were miserably out-of-sync and most of their points came after we emptied our bench.

The Browns defense is much improved, and combining that with the conditions meant that the two teams just had to slog it out last night. Pittsburgh had to earn every yard and every point. In the past, it was easy to rack up a bazillion yards against the Browns. I attribute more to the Browns' defense than the 60mpg swirling gusts and rain, because Ben, Hines and Santonio still made some big plays, and Edwards and Winslow made some big plays as well, so the weather couldn't have been that much of a factor in the game.

ChicagoJ
09-15-2008, 03:11 PM
The Jags are obviously in trouble with all thier injuries. I thought they would be the team to beat going into the season.

Denver and Buffalo are going to have to prove it over the course of the season. Denver is certainly looking capable. Everybody knows the Charges always look to be the team to beat "on paper" and then get into the games and work really hard to find new, inventive ways to lose.

We've been reminded that Patriots first SB win was when Brady took over for Bledsoe mid-season. They were a ball-control, possession offense. I agree... give Billicek enough time to work with the players he has remaining and they will get much better as the season progresses.

The Titans are the wildcard. I think Jeff Fisher is a tremendous coach, but I'm not sure they've got the talent/ roster to keep it up.

ilive4sports
09-15-2008, 04:52 PM
I think the Steelers @ Eagles game next weekend will be just as good as the Eagles @ Dallas game tonight. I was trying to get tickets to this one, but thats not in the budget right now. Instead I will probably watch it with a ton of Eagles and Steelers fans in the commons as we take over the commons here watching the game on the flat screens.

Moses
09-15-2008, 06:52 PM
The Jags are obviously in trouble with all thier injuries. I thought they would be the team to beat going into the season.

Denver and Buffalo are going to have to prove it over the course of the season. Denver is certainly looking capable. Everybody knows the Charges always look to be the team to beat "on paper" and then get into the games and work really hard to find new, inventive ways to lose.

We've been reminded that Patriots first SB win was when Brady took over for Bledsoe mid-season. They were a ball-control, possession offense. I agree... give Billicek enough time to work with the players he has remaining and they will get much better as the season progresses.

The Titans are the wildcard. I think Jeff Fisher is a tremendous coach, but I'm not sure they've got the talent/ roster to keep it up.
Don't count out their rookie Chris Johnson. That kid is a monster and will probably win ROY over McFadden. Tennessee's biggest issue is their weak passing game..you've got a statue sitting in the pocket back there with Kerry Collins and no go to WRs.