PDA

View Full Version : Sign up for the 1st NBA 2K9 5-on-5 PD forum game! (Xbox 360)

Kstat
09-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Figured since we're going to have our own league (again), it might be cool to have a 10-player PD forum game.

First 10 to sign up get in on the inaugural event. After we have ten COMMITTED players (we will be doing a draft, so please make sure you're going to do it).

After we have a solid group of 10, we'll pick teams old school, and then have a player draft.

This could be a really, really fun game. Ugly as sin, but fun nontheless.

THE LIST SO FAR:

1. Kstat (9)
2. Hicks (9)
3. Ajbry (9)
4. Robertmto (10)
5. Gnome (7)
6. GO!!!! (5)
7. CGG (8)
8. Ryan (9)
9. Intridcold (6)
10. TheDoddage (7.5)

11. Thahoya
12. tora tora

Hicks
09-11-2008, 07:05 PM
I'm in. Why have a draft for one single game? I mean if it's easy to get done I don't care, but won't that be difficult? And who decides who to pick? I guess I need clarification on that front.

Kstat
09-11-2008, 07:06 PM
It's very difficult if you think about it.

That's why we're having a draft, to make everything as even and structured as possible, as well as to make sure everyone winds up with a player they think they can use.

And who decides who to pick? I guess I need clarification on that front.

Well, here's my idea...

1. Sign up 10 players

2. Divide into 2 teams of 5, in order of skill level, as evenly as we can make it.

3. Have an NBA player draft, with an order chosen randomly. One player on one team picks a position on the floor and a player to fill that position, someone on the other team drafts, etc. Draft order we can determine when we arrive at that, but I really don't think it's going to be a huge deal, since we're only drafting 2 teams. Talent differential shouldn't be that big of an issue.

To be honest, I can wind up on whichever team and pick dead last in both rounds if I have to. This game is going to be fun no matter who I'm controlling, and frankly I think it would be cool to be a facilitator or a role player. I've never won a basketball game that I didn't take any shots.

Hicks
09-11-2008, 07:12 PM
I've never played a 5-on-5 game in a video game. Any tips on how to make it NOT be a train wreck?

Hicks
09-11-2008, 07:12 PM
As for the draft, are we just drafting 10 players? I mean at first I thought you meant drafting for an entire 30 teams, just to pick two of those teams after the players/rosters are set.

Kstat
09-11-2008, 07:20 PM
yeah.

one 5 on 5 game, with a fantasy-style draft. Everyone gets to pick what player they want to be, or at least their 2nd choice.

This is simply an exhibition, so we can all test it out.

If it works out, we can discuss expanding it.

BTW, I figured we need 12 players. so the two people that pick last in the 1st round can fill out the rosters of both sides.

Kstat
09-11-2008, 07:22 PM
I've never played a 5-on-5 game in a video game. Any tips on how to make it NOT be a train wreck?

I don't think anybody really knows. 5 on 5 online basketball games simply didn't exist before.

That said, even if it is a train wreck, it'll still be worth it, don't you think?

ajbry
09-11-2008, 07:24 PM
It'll be a trainwreck regardless, but I'm sure there will be plenty of laughs and hopefully some hilarious misjudgments...

I'm definitely in.

Kstat
09-11-2008, 07:26 PM
It'll be a trainwreck regardless, but I'm sure there will be plenty of laughs and hopefully some hilarious misjudgments...

That's exactly what I was thinking. The score might be 9-6 by the time it's over.

Kstat
09-11-2008, 07:27 PM
BTW, if we do make it past 10, people should feel free to keep signing up. If we get 15, we can have 3 teams...

ajbry
09-11-2008, 07:30 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking. The score might be 9-6 by the time it's over.

The pace will be absurdly fast too, there will likely be more turnovers than shot attempts the first game.

Hicks
09-11-2008, 08:00 PM
I can see either too many bad shots or a team being too conservative trying to avoid the former. Should be interesting.

ajbry
09-11-2008, 08:08 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing who gets tentative with 9 other guys watching and passes the ball every time so nobody gets mad...

ajbry
09-11-2008, 09:35 PM
Oh, and you said we're going to 'fill positions' - what exactly will that entail? For example, somebody drafts Dwight Howard #1 overall so the next player on the opposing team has to draft a center as well, and so on?

Or will the floor positions be predetermined along with your pick number?

Robertmto
09-12-2008, 12:15 AM
I don't think anybody really knows. 5 on 5 online basketball games simply didn't exist before.

That said, even if it is a train wreck, it'll still be worth it, don't you think?

Actually NBA Live 08 had 5 on 5 games, and its fun as hell.

And I'll play guys

Kstat
09-12-2008, 02:22 AM
Oh, and you said we're going to 'fill positions' - what exactly will that entail? For example, somebody drafts Dwight Howard #1 overall so the next player on the opposing team has to draft a center as well, and so on?

Or will the floor positions be predetermined along with your pick number?

OK, say someone drafts Dwight Howard #1 overall. That means that person is going to fill the center position for his team, and in the 2nd round he's going to draft another center.

Roaming Gnome
09-15-2008, 12:50 AM
Sounds like a "train wreck" waiting to happen...Where do I sign up?

GO!!!!!
09-15-2008, 05:26 AM
Count me in, but only can play if it's a Friday or Saturday night US time Tip Off...

Will there be voice during the game ??

Major Cold
09-15-2008, 08:05 AM
when would we play this game?

Kstat
09-15-2008, 11:26 AM
We;ll decide that when we have our first 10 players.

cgg
09-15-2008, 12:21 PM
I'll play.

Ryan
09-16-2008, 04:23 PM
Im in

Major Cold
09-16-2008, 07:07 PM
sure I will

Doddage
09-16-2008, 07:45 PM
What the hey, I'll round out the list.

Kstat
09-16-2008, 08:31 PM
Don't do it unless you're fully committed. I don't want people dropping out and forcing us to re-draft.

Kstat
09-16-2008, 08:35 PM
Ok, I'm going to ask everyone slot themselves by skill level, so i can place them accordingly.

I'm rating Hicks and myself as 9, simply as a reference point. If you think you're very good, that's you number. If you're sure you're the best player here, give yourself a ten.

Keep in mind, a dishonest ranking is only going to screw your team over.

Once I have responses from everyone that signed up, I'll try to slot everyone as evenly as possible.

ajbry
09-16-2008, 09:02 PM
Honestly, I'm very tempted to give myself the ten, but technically I didn't have the best record in the PD league before I (and several others) left, but IIRC it was an excellent record. And my isolation game is by far my biggest strength.

I know I won both games against you Kstat, so I'll join the 9 club. :D

GO!!!!!
09-16-2008, 10:08 PM
I normally play Live on the second highest level and win 7.5-8/10..

so i'll give myself a 5 compared to you guys....

not being used to 2K series also factors in my decision and i'd rather be consertive..

Robertmto
09-16-2008, 11:48 PM
10, honestly

I'm probably the only true, competitive player here

Hicks
09-17-2008, 12:32 AM
I'm probably the only true, competitive player here

:laugh:

Doddage
09-17-2008, 07:46 AM

MrSparko
09-17-2008, 02:59 PM
A Solid 2 :cool:

Ryan
09-17-2008, 06:16 PM
i suck

ajbry
09-17-2008, 06:27 PM
Is everyone thinking of playing as superstars? Just curious as to see who wants to maintain the competitive edge and who will pick their favorite player regardless...

Hicks
09-17-2008, 06:31 PM
You can just tell us you're drafting Stephen Jackson; it's okay. ;)

ajbry
09-17-2008, 06:47 PM
I didn't even think it needed to be said. :D

Just want to gauge the overall talent level on the floor, as I'd sort of hope it just doesn't go from the absolute peak of the ratings list, you know?

Hicks
09-17-2008, 07:28 PM
I was planning on picking whomever I like best at the position..... :shrug: That's probably going to be one of the best players.

If we want to make up a "banned" list of players, then that's okay I guess.

ajbry
09-17-2008, 07:35 PM
No, I wasn't implying that certain players should be off-limits, it's all cool with me. Just wondering if people would be as open to drafting, say, Joe Johnson, instead of a higher-rated Allen Iverson or something who probably wouldn't be as fun to play as.

MrSparko
09-17-2008, 07:43 PM
I'm picking Deiner personally :cool:.

That way if I lose I can say big deal it's Deiner you feel like a real man now?

And may God have mercy if you lose to me with Deiner cause I won't.

Just kidding. Maybe

Roaming Gnome
09-20-2008, 02:15 PM
I'd say that I'm about a 7, but I don't see how this will translate into this game.

Major Cold
09-21-2008, 08:59 AM
I have played Live for over 10 years. I played college 2K6. I won most of my games online in Live. But I will be unfamiliar with the motions of 2K for awhile.

I will rank myself a 6.

Kstat
09-21-2008, 09:13 AM
OK, since Hicks and I both know CGG, I'm going to go ahead and rate him an 8 so we can set teams.

I'm nominating Hicks to be the other captain, assuming he doesn't object.

Robertmto
09-21-2008, 09:22 AM
:laugh:

i don't think u understand, i mean like traveling around winning money from this game, competitive. Not just playing to win.

Kstat
09-21-2008, 09:42 AM
Here are my preliminary rosters. They're as even as I can make them:

*Team Hicks: (overall team rating 40)

Robertmto
Hicks
CGG
Roaming Gnome
Intridcold

*Team Kstat: (overall team rating 39.5)
Kstat
Ajbry
Ryan
TheDoddage
GO!!!!

*=working title

Hicks
09-21-2008, 09:46 AM
that should work

Kstat
09-21-2008, 09:48 AM
ok, next order of business is picking teams.

I was hoping the game would allow us to do a fantasy draft with 5 players controlling each team. Does anybody know if they allow that, or do we have to use normal teams?

Hicks
09-21-2008, 09:55 AM
Unknown

Kstat
09-21-2008, 09:58 AM
we'll have to wait and see then.

ajbry
09-21-2008, 10:11 AM
I don't know which thread to post this in, as we have 3 separate 2K9 threads going, but here's all the ratings, team-by-team...

http://www.operationsports.com/mediaview.php?id=481

Hicks
09-21-2008, 10:52 AM
Thanks for posting that, ajbry.

Doddage
09-21-2008, 04:19 PM
It's crazy how jacked up 2K's ratings are this year.

Hicks
09-21-2008, 05:46 PM
Well, at least they'll be dynamic this year instead of staying static every few months.

ajbry
09-21-2008, 05:53 PM
Some of the ratings are real good and some are horrendous. I do anticipate the 2K Insider will be addressing some of them immediately, or at least I would hope so if the 2K community clamors for it.

I have one biased thing to say though, the defensive ratings they gave for Jack are awful... I'll take the A outside rating though, that'll bode well for me online, lol.

Doddage
09-21-2008, 06:20 PM
Well, at least they'll be dynamic this year instead of staying static every few months.
Yeah, that's for sure. I just don't see how someone like Ramon Sessions, who had ONE good stretch at the end of the season, gets a 78 rating which is just 3 points under Andre Miller. The ratings are fine as a reference point, but they need to be scaled back a little bit. I'm not a fan of dishing out nearly perfect 99 ratings for CP3, Kobe, LeBron, and KG.

ajbry
09-21-2008, 06:30 PM
CP3 being 5 points above Deron is a travesty... They should both be 96 IMO.

Major Cold
09-21-2008, 10:19 PM
CP3 being 5 points above Deron is a travesty... They should both be 96 IMO.

ummm no. 96 Paul. 93 Deron.

GO!!!!!
09-21-2008, 10:32 PM
Anyone got any confirmation dates for release... i thought it would be released down here within the next two weeks but according to IGN.com here are the release dates

2K9 (http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/954/954501.html)
Publisher: 2K Sports
Platform: Xbox 360
Release Date: October 7, 2008
Release Region: United States

NBA 2K9 (http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/objects/954/954501.html)
Release Date: October 3, 2008
Release Region: United Kingdom

NBA 2K9 (http://au.xbox360.ign.com/objects/954/954501.html)
Release Date: October 31, 2008
Release Region: Australia

if thats accurate i might not be able to attend the game, as in don't want everyone to wait for me..

Doddage
09-22-2008, 07:45 AM
ummm no. 96 Paul. 93 Deron.
Agreed. CP3 should without a doubt be higher than all other point guards.

Kstat
09-22-2008, 11:40 AM
Ramone Sesions is 4 points better than Rodney Stuckey...**** off 2K.

Major Cold
09-22-2008, 11:57 AM
Stuckey's rating was sad I will have to admit that.

Hicks
09-22-2008, 12:56 PM
I'm not saying this will help with Stuckey because I haven't looked at his stats, but do you just base your issues with the ratings on the overall, majorly, or do you spend a lot of time looking at all the individual #s?

Kstat
09-23-2008, 06:56 PM
IGN grades 5-no-5 play...

the more I read, the more I wish we could create our own 5-on-5 league.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/912/912765p1.html

NBA 2K9 Multiplayer Hands-on
True five-on-five basketball makes its way to gaming for the first time.
by Nate Ahearn

September 23, 2008 - The 2009 season for sports videogames will forever be known as the year that the online world finally went beyond what was possible on a single console. Playing multiplayer in a sports game used to mean a one-on-one affair. No longer. Now every athlete on the court, rink or pitch is totally controlled by a human -- for better or worse. The way it should be.

NBA 2K9 is yet another sports offering joining the ranks of those expanding their multiplayer realm. Like every other title out there it offers the chance for every player on the court to be controlled by you and your friends, thus making for a basketball experience unlike what we've had in the past. I recently possessed the body and soul of Mr. Lebron James as his Cavs took to the court against Steve Nash and the Phoenix Suns.

The default camera angle for the mode that is being called "Team Up" in NBA 2K9 isn't all that dissimilar from what we've seen from the Be A Pro modes in EA Sports' titles. Basically the camera is zoomed in on your player and it rotates around you in an attempt to keep the ball in focus at all times. The only problem with that for the sport of basketball is that there are two things that players need to be mindful, not just one -- the hoop and the ball. That led to a few instances when one would be in view but not the other, while other times the player that you were passing to be would be out of view thus creating a bit of a leap of faith.

Everything else played just as well, if not better than it usually does during solo play. It's interesting to watch how ten players can have so many different outcomes every time down the court. Sometimes players would all collapse in the key to try and stop Shaq from getting an easy deuce -- something that he can still do with great regularity -- while other times the lane would be left totally open while the ball rotated around the perimeter in search of an opening. Almost like -- gasp -- real basketball.

Making cuts is also much easier in Team Up than it is normally. Given the fact that the reflexes of a human are nowhere near that of a machine, it's much easier to use a fast player's quickness to make a quick run at the basket when your defender has their own dimwits as well as Internet latency to deal with. If that doesn't work, you can always curl around a few bodies and try to work your way to an open spot back on the perimeter. Something Lebron James did time and time again in my four-point win against the Suns.

Another problem that some might find with Team Up, and this goes without saying for most cooperative experiences on Xbox Live, is that your enjoyment of the experience is largely determined by how everyone plays around you. If people are taking ridiculous shots with Amare from the half-court line, chances are your enjoyment factor will be lessened. Luckily there is a way to gauge how good a team player someone is prior to joining a game, but chances are that on launch day it will be a bit more of a free-for-all.

There's a ranking system that grades your overall prowess on the court. Players will be able to see if they're joining a team with a group of superstars or a bunch of bench warmers. This will hopefully help players to steer clear of games where they'll be over or under-matched.

Overall my short, single game experience with Team Up was very fun. The lowered, more intimate camera angle had its problems, but you can easily back out to the standard view by pressing down on the d-pad. Oddly enough, and this will be something that I'll investigate further as the review draws closer, but I felt like my team's defensive abilities had been diminished a bit. Maybe the AI takes into account that everyone will be smashing the steal button while on the court? Regardless, there were very few intercepted passes and steals (blocks still happened, though).

The other new features to NBA 2K9's online offering is called Living Rosters. It's an unabashed answer to NBA Live's Live 365 and Dynamic DNA systems and, unsurprisingly, it operates very similarly. Stats and tendencies will be constantly updated to the NBA 2K servers so that AI opponents will behave as closely to their real life counterparts as possible. As cool as that is, it's not the coolest part of Living Rosters. Now when players heat up in real life they'll unlock new animation packages in NBA 2K9. I'm hoping that means that we'll be able to see Pau Gasol develop a more physical game when he's banging with the big guys underneath the boards, but again, we'll have to wait until we get a more complete build of the game to say for sure.

There's no question that NBA 2K9's online game is much improved over last year's offering. The five-on-five Team Up mode performs very well when you're with a group of people who know what they're doing. At least somewhat. The 2K brand of basketball is already the most realistic around, but when you get a group of gamers who know how to play the sport, 2K ball takes a different, even more true-to-life form. There's plenty left to see from NBA 2K9, like The Association 2.0 and gameplay refinements, but if the multiplayer is any indication 2K9 could be well on its way to returning to the all-star level that the series has grown accustomed.

ajbry
09-23-2008, 07:07 PM
Sounds fantastic. To be honest, I'm looking forward to the 5-on-5 more than anything else for 2K9...

And if interest keeps up after we play our first game, we could always just form a casual league and play on a somewhat regular basis (maybe once a week or so, if possible) and keep track of stats and ***** manually.

GO!!!!!
09-23-2008, 10:15 PM
That sounds pretty cool...

My Question would be... who gets who when you sub out.. i mean players get tired or you might want to add another 3 point shooter if your down a couple..

Kstat
09-24-2008, 02:21 AM
if I remember correctly, you play the position, not the player.

GO!!!!!
09-24-2008, 05:23 AM
Ahh gotcha.. sorry my bad...

nice nice.. I'm excited for the game......

Robertmto
09-24-2008, 12:30 PM
This game is out on the 7th correct?

Hicks
09-24-2008, 12:32 PM
Yes.

Robertmto
09-24-2008, 01:34 PM
awesome, thanks Hicks

Major Cold
09-24-2008, 01:43 PM
I prefer not being the point for my team. I played 5 on 5 in Live alot. I was always the point. I racked up 20+ assists with Paul. But since I have not played 2K in awhile I would rather be a big man.

Hicks
09-24-2008, 01:46 PM
I'll play any position.

Kstat
09-24-2008, 01:52 PM
I prefer not being the point for my team. I played 5 on 5 in Live alot. I was always the point. I racked up 20+ assists with Paul. But since I have not played 2K in awhile I would rather be a big man.

You'll play where your team captain tells you to play, and you'll like it :p

Hicks
09-24-2008, 01:59 PM
The captains pick that? Hmm....

Robertmto
Hicks
CGG
Roaming Gnome
Intridcold

Well, I can already say RG will be either the center or the power forward as he's at his best in the low post.

When I play I usually control my PG the most so if no one else wants it I'll claim it.

CGG I recall being best with wing players (SG or SF). I'll let him speak for himself, though.

Robert and intrid, any thoughts on where you'd think you'd be best at?

ajbry
09-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Yeah, if we can come up with a team-wide agreement in terms of positions, why can't we just do it the democratic way? :D

Kstat
09-24-2008, 02:19 PM
ajbry, you got the SG position. Don't worry about it.

I'll be manning the point.

Ryan's going to be playing PF.

GO!!!! and TheDoddage can call the remaining spots.

ajbry
09-24-2008, 02:45 PM
Good, we'll be the nastiest backcourt, I know it. Glad you won't have to be a big man, PG should be perfect for you.

cgg
09-24-2008, 04:04 PM
CGG I recall being best with wing players (SG or SF). I'll let him speak for himself, though.
at?

Well I DID have Kobe and T-Mac on my team... so I did go there a bit for my scoring. I can take a wing position.

GO!!!!!
09-24-2008, 05:39 PM
Hmm SF or C...

Tough choice...

I'll Take C unless The Doddage wants it real bad

Major Cold
09-24-2008, 07:47 PM
Again i will take whatever RG doesn't. As long as I am not point. I played the 2k8 demo today and I sorta got a feel for it again.

Roaming Gnome
09-24-2008, 10:38 PM
I'll stick with the Centre position.

cgg
09-24-2008, 10:58 PM
I'll stick with the Centre position.

Does that mean we're the Raptors?

Robertmto
09-24-2008, 11:13 PM
i'll take control of either guard postion. I'd rather have point, but Hicks called it first

cgg
09-24-2008, 11:35 PM
So that makes me SF I suppose.

Hicks
09-24-2008, 11:35 PM
All right.

PG - Hicks
SG - Robertmto
SF - cgg
PF - intridcold
C - Roaming Gnome

GO!!!!!
09-24-2008, 11:54 PM
Any idea if/when the 2K9 Demo is out ?.. proberly won't matter with the game out in a couple weeks..

It's on Gnome... n you better not try and take me one on one.. because I'm gonna destroy the post...

cgg
09-25-2008, 12:12 AM
Gnome will crush you with his superior roaming abilities.

ajbry
09-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Looks like your backcourt is almost as stacked as ours...

cgg
09-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Are we allowed to take players out of position?

Tmac and Jack can play SF, but are listed as SG.

And there are some bigs that can play both spots.

Kstat
09-25-2008, 11:41 AM
far as I'm concerned you can draft Shaq to play PG. Doesn't mean it's a good idea, but I don't care.

Major Cold
09-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Front court of Howard and Garnet sound good to you Gnome?
Or Yao and Oden?

Kstat
09-25-2008, 11:49 AM
keep in mind people, this is assuming 5-0n-5 will allow us to create our own teams, which hasn't been confirmed.

In the event that isn't possible, I'm going to have the captains of both sides pick 5 NBA teams each.

Ryan
09-25-2008, 12:59 PM
I thought I was playing the point? I'm down with PF though.

Doddage
09-25-2008, 04:05 PM
The C spot is yours GO!!!, I don't want it that bad. So, I guess by default that makes me the SF. Man, I would definitely take some LeBron if available.

GO!!!!!
09-25-2008, 05:41 PM
It sure will be intresting to see how we get our teams/players...

It has to be fair tho Captains, need to figure out a draft system.. or have you allready worked that out..

EA Team A first pick and then Team B next two Picks then team A the next two etc etc..

Kstat
09-25-2008, 06:03 PM
I'll work it out as soon as I know how we'll be picking teams.

Kstat
09-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Hey Hicks, any chance of us retiring the old 2K8 forum and creating one for 2K9?

The more I hear about the 5-on-5 mode completely changing the way you play, the more I'm interested in making this a major part of my 2K9 schedule.

I'd also like a chance to bounce some ideas off of my teammates.

ajbry
09-25-2008, 08:48 PM
The more I hear about the 5-on-5 mode completely changing the way you play, the more I'm interested in making this a major part of my 2K9 schedule.

Same. I can see myself playing a lot of 5-on-5 this year if 2K set it up properly...

Doddage
09-25-2008, 09:34 PM
So are these going to be loaded all-star-type teams? While this would be fun, I think it would be even better if we chose a field of our favorite players at our respective positions. Some variety, basically. Maybe if we set some ground rules for picking our players, like we can pick a star with our first pick and then one or two lower tier players.

Kstat
09-25-2008, 09:36 PM
Again, we have to wait until we know what we're ALLOWED to do.

But yes, I think something along those lines would be a good idea. I've heard several suggestions already.

I was thinking a draft of one player 95-99, one 90-94, one 85-89, etc.

Doddage
09-25-2008, 10:05 PM
I understand we don't know what's going to be the logistics of the whole thing, but I can only assume that we draft a couple or three players at our position.

That breakdown looks pretty good, but maybe I'd want to grab a player like James Posey to be behind my primary SF. I think that should be our approach, more or less strategic, although I'm not going to argue about it either way. I'm just looking forward to the damn thing.

So, our team looks like this:

PG: Kstat
SG: ajbry
SF: TheDoddage
PF: Ryan
C: GO!!!!!

Hicks
09-25-2008, 10:11 PM
The 2k8 board was converted for 2k9 the other day. We haven't added new people to it yet, though.

cgg
09-26-2008, 12:17 AM
Perhaps a cap on total points. You could choose between a stronger 1-2 punch or a more balanced roster.

Kstat
09-26-2008, 02:10 AM
That's also a good idea.

ThA HoyA
09-26-2008, 02:26 AM
if u guys have any spots let me know im more than happy to play

Kstat
09-26-2008, 02:32 AM
I'll add you to the 3rd team. Maybe we can get 4 more people to sign up.

ThA HoyA
09-26-2008, 02:35 AM
cool

Kstat
09-27-2008, 10:08 AM
It would seem that fantasy drafts for 5-on-5 play won't be allowed...

that said, we can still pick whole squads. It can still be pretty fun.

Kstat
09-27-2008, 10:29 AM
In this event, I'm going to implement plan B:

I want everybody to inform their team captain of the teams they would feel comfortable playing with. I'd advise to keep your position on the floor in mind when requesting a team.

Once we have everyone's input, Hicks and I are going to conduct a quick draft and pick five teams each.

Hicks
09-27-2008, 10:46 AM
So the idea is that either side can choose from one of their five drafted teams on any given matchup?

Kstat
09-27-2008, 10:55 AM
So the idea is that either side can choose from one of their five drafted teams on any given matchup?

Basically.
Also keeps things fresh, in case one team simply isn't compatible with a chosen roster; they're not stuck with it.

Roaming Gnome
09-27-2008, 02:34 PM
For now, I'm only interested in playing one 5 on 5 game. I'm going to be pretty busy keeping track of the 2k9 league. As Hicks mentioned, the 2k9 forum is set up, but I have not set up the list of names yet. Unless convinced otherwise, I don't want to include the 5 on 5 league with the 2k9 individual league. Like the fantasy sports boards...there is too much going on making the Fantasy Sports board WORTHLESS. The ABA Keeper League is going back to using the trash talk boards on WSsports because of the confusion on the fantasy boards and I don't want that to happen with the 2k9 league.

Major Cold
09-27-2008, 02:49 PM
We can do this one game. Then maybe an All-Star game from the league. Top 10 teams. I know that leaves out 2 teams. But it would give a more fair ranking and those two sucky players can be alternates. The Christian Lattners of 2k9.

Hicks
09-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Let's just establish the 5 teams per side, play one game when it works for everyone, and then just leave it there until we can gather everyone again. I don't want to make this another league, either. But having assigned players/teams would make it easier to pick this up whenever everyone wants to do it again.

tora tora
09-27-2008, 06:27 PM
1 game? Sign me up.

Kstat
09-27-2008, 06:31 PM
1 game? Sign me up.

You're on the 3rd team..assuming we get 3 more.

Doddage
09-28-2008, 01:11 AM
Whoever the best player is on a given team should serve as the basis for what team is ultimately selected, imo. For example, I think that if the best person on a team is the one that's the SG, a team in which the best player is the SG should be chosen, e.g. the Lakers or Heat. That probably sounds confusing, but whatever. Just another idea thrown out there.

Ryan
10-23-2008, 11:32 PM
This would be fun to get going. Even if we cant get 10 committed players, there's usually atleast six of us on at some points during the course of any given night. 3-3 is a lot of fun.

GO!!!!!
10-27-2008, 03:54 PM
is there any update on the time frame of when this game could occur ?

ajbry
10-27-2008, 08:20 PM
Yeah, I sort of forgot about this. And additionally, I think it'd be a good idea to make the quarters as long as possible so we can squeeze in the most we can if we're going to actually have 10 guys playing.

GO!!!!!
12-08-2008, 03:57 PM
err Bump Da Bump..

no new news, just thought I'd bump this as i need to get my good team mate achievement....

Hicks
12-08-2008, 04:56 PM
If we can get organized, I'd still like to do this at least once.

tora tora
12-11-2008, 03:49 AM
Word up.

Kstat
12-11-2008, 12:19 PM

if everyone else is still willing to try this, I;m still up for it.

ajbry
12-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Same.

Hicks
12-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Hicks
GO!!!
Kstat
tora tora
ajbry

Well, there's 5.

If not enough others express interest, do the five of us want to just form our own team and meet up to play 5 strangers?

ajbry
12-11-2008, 02:23 PM
That would be fine.

GO!!!!!
12-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Sounds good to me,
Just remember I will do my best to attend but being what 14 Hours ahead in time it could take a little jiggling

Hicks
12-11-2008, 04:18 PM
It would help to know what times you are most likely to be available, and then we can see what those times are for those of us on the east coast.

GO!!!!!
12-11-2008, 04:29 PM
Of course, I guess Mainly Friday Night, Saturday night US East Coast time would be easiest, as thats Sat morning, Sunday morning my time, but if it has to be during the week, I'll just take a study day of work..

having said that, if it is to much hassle I can sit it out...

Ownagedood
12-11-2008, 08:32 PM
***NVM*** just noticed its on 360, i have PS3

What league are you guys? I want to join.. I have been able to get on a lil more recently.. I love playing the team- up feature so I would love doing that with you guys.. Im an unselfish player, so a pretty good PG, but where I would rather be is likely inside, getting all the rebounds and put backs.

My PS3 name? Oh you would never guess... Ownagedood.

cgg
12-11-2008, 09:02 PM
ill play