PDA

View Full Version : Forget Artest, McGradey, and the draft.... here's the REAL question!

Anthem
06-17-2004, 02:53 AM
Lost in all of this talk is the fact that Donnie and Larry have talked about improving the frontline. Off the top of my head, there's three guys I see being available to us:

Dampier (FA)
Cato (Rockets)
Blount (FA)

If you were going to target one of these guys, who would it be? How would you go about it? Are there other quality big men out there that we might go after?

I've been saying all year that Blount would look great next to Jermaine O'Neal. Decent O, decent D, decent rebounder. A definate improvement over Foster, plus he's a hard worker and a great locker-room guy. Red/Ainge like Croshere, so perhaps a S&T for Blount +1 (I love Banks but Ainge is said to be really down on him).

ROCislandWarrior
06-17-2004, 03:04 AM
What about Howard along with Tmac? :devil:

I wouldn't mind Blount, but how expensive will he be?

And Jay had a good trade to get us Cato, but at what point do we say enough with the trades, this team is ready to bring home the trophy?

TheSauceMaster
06-17-2004, 03:10 AM
Depending on what we have to give to Tmac , It maybe depleting our Bench , sounds like alot of shakeup and I hope Donnie and Larry don't intend on that since we were so close with the current team ..to much movement can be a bad thing.

Anthem
06-17-2004, 03:14 AM
What about Howard along with Tmac? :devil:

I wouldn't mind Blount, but how expensive will he be?

It's hard to get Howard, that takes 20M in salary (14.5+5.5). It's a lot easier to get Drew Gooden. Artest, Pollard, Pippen, #3, and #29 for McGrady / Gooden seems like a pretty even trade to me, and the numbers are perfect. Move Croshere/Johnson for Blount/Banks, and you're sitting pretty. I'm predicting that Blount will start between 5-6 mil.

Blount / Foster / Brezec
JO / Gooden
TMac / Bender / Jones
Miller / Jones
Tinsley / Banks

It gets a lot better once Reggie retires... Bender (hopefully) moves into the starting lineup, Foster backs up the power rotation, Gooden backs up both forward spots, F. Jones backs up the swing spots, and Banks is there at PG.

Anthem
06-17-2004, 03:16 AM
Depending on what we have to give to Tmac , It maybe depleting our Bench , sounds like alot of shakeup and I hope Donnie and Larry don't intend on that since we were so close with the current team ..to much movement can be a bad thing.

Moving Croshere for Blount isn't "depleting your bench." It's "beefing up your frontcourt."

TheSauceMaster
06-17-2004, 03:22 AM

Moving Croshere for Blount isn't "depleting your bench." It's "beefing up your frontcourt."

and apparently you haven't been reading the other threads , then you would know where my comments came from ;)

indytoad
06-17-2004, 03:23 AM

I don't precisely see why Boston would want to do that... Ainge may like Croshere, but I don't think he likes him that much.

IndyToad
I guess it finally happened

Anthem
06-17-2004, 03:29 AM

I don't precisely see why Boston would want to do that... Ainge may like Croshere, but I don't think he likes him that much.

It's not a trade, it's a sign-and-trade. Blount is leaving, and Boston will get nothing in return. Think S.Pollard--B.Miller.

Anthem
06-17-2004, 03:30 AM

and apparently you haven't been reading the other threads , then you would know where my comments came from ;)

You're right, I have no idea what you're talking about. Before today, I posted maybe 5 times in the previous two weeks, and I've missed virtually all discussion on this board since the end of Round 2.

Unclebuck
06-17-2004, 09:19 AM
If AL is traded then we need another quality big guy, but he has to be skilled, and does not need to be a center.

I don't want Dampier

Suaveness
06-17-2004, 09:40 AM
If AL is traded then we need another quality big guy, but he has to be skilled, and does not need to be a center.

I don't want Dampier

Really? I couldn't tell :laugh:

No, I don't want him. Actually in all honesty, i want Foster to start. He plays very well within this offense.

ChicagoJ
06-17-2004, 10:06 AM
At the deadline, I wanted Dampier.

After the Pistons series, I want Cato... he's a slight upgrade over Foster, IMO, because he's big enough to let JO slide back over to PF. Dampier would help us against a handful of centers (Shaq, Yao Ming, that's about it) but Cato would help neutralize two Wallaces... and that's what the champions have.

Foster would be the perfect backup for both of them and still play about 20-24 mpg.

indygeezer
06-17-2004, 10:17 AM
Total agreement with jay (and I had already voted)

Suaveness
06-17-2004, 12:00 PM

IndyToad
I guess it finally happened

This has nothing to do with this thread, but IndyToad, is your avatar Sakura from Naruto?

Suaveness
06-17-2004, 12:00 PM

After the Pistons series, I want Cato... he's a slight upgrade over Foster, IMO, because he's big enough to let JO slide back over to PF. Dampier would help us against a handful of centers (Shaq, Yao Ming, that's about it) but Cato would help neutralize two Wallaces... and that's what the champions have.

Foster would be the perfect backup for both of them and still play about 20-24 mpg.

Does Cato have the mobility that Foster does?

ChicagoJ
06-17-2004, 12:21 PM

Does Cato have the mobility that Foster does?

He's more mobile than Dampier, and he's much bigger than Foster.

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/review04_cato.html

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/kelvin_cato/index.html

indygeezer
06-17-2004, 12:29 PM
I have been boosting for Cato for a couple of years. He is BIG and STRONG....but they list him as a PF, can he play the 5? I want to be able to leave JO out at the 4 with minimal time at the 5. If AH is gone then the pressure to allow him minutes asa 4 is eliminated and you only need someone to fill in for a few moments rather than get REAL minutes on the floor.

ChicagoJ
06-17-2004, 12:31 PM
I have been boosting for Cato for a couple of years. He is BIG and STRONG....but they list him as a PF, can he play the 5? I want to be able to leave JO out at the 4 with minimal time at the 5. If AH is gone then the pressure to allow him minutes asa 4 is eliminated and you only need someone to fill in for a few moments rather than get REAL minutes on the floor.

IMO, he's only playing PF because they've got Yao Ming.

Slick Pinkham
06-17-2004, 12:37 PM
and he played the 4 because Eddie Griffin went postal.

Cato was going to be Yao's backup, and I don't think he ever played the 4 nearly as much as the 5 prior to JVG arriving.

ChicagoJ
06-17-2004, 12:42 PM
and he played the 4 because Eddie Griffin went postal.

Cato was going to be Yao's backup, and I don't think he ever played the 4 nearly as much as the 5 prior to JVG arriving.

Especially in Portland. He was Sabonis's backup but there's no way he plays at the #4 spot ahead of Brian Grant, Rasheed, or JO.

That's one hell of a frontcourt, btw.

indygeezer
06-17-2004, 12:42 PM
That's the way I remembered it, but I wanted it confirmed.

Hoop
06-17-2004, 05:18 PM
I'd pick Blount over Dampier and Cato.

ChicagoJ
06-17-2004, 05:26 PM
I've never seen Blount do anything that caught my attention.

I'm willing to listen to those of you recommending Blount. Until then, the only advantage I see regarding Blount is that he might be cheaper, but hey its not my money.

Hicks
06-17-2004, 05:28 PM
I've thought of Blount as Jeff with a modest post game and shot blocking, probably a bit weaker rebounder (I say that because of how good Jeff is).

Anthem
06-17-2004, 10:43 PM
I've never seen Blount do anything that caught my attention.

I'm willing to listen to those of you recommending Blount. Until then, the only advantage I see regarding Blount is that he might be cheaper, but hey its not my money.

Well, you won't. He's not a flashy player in any way. But he's solid or better in every phase of the game. I never really noticed him until this year, but I've got a good friend who's a Celtics fan, and Blount was his favorite player. We watched all 8 Pacers-Celtics games this year, and every single time I thought "Man, that guy would look great next to JO." Indy fans would love him; he's like Dale Davis with O.

If you've got tape of the Celtics series, go back and watch them. He was the most consistent player on that team (damning with faint praise).

indygeezer
06-18-2004, 12:04 AM
One of the most obvioius needs of the Rockets this offseason is to upgrade the power forward spot with more offensive production. Cato did everything asked of him in 2003-04 but the fact is he would be better suited in a backup role, spelling Yao Ming at center or giving the Rockets another defensive presence off the bench in certain matchup situations. The four Western Conference playoff finalists - Minnesota (Kevin Garnett), the L.A. Lakers (Karl Malone), San Antonio (Tim Duncan) and Sacramento (Chris Webber) - all have standout producers at the '4' slot. If the Rockets have designs of getting past these teams in next year's playoffs, moving Cato to a more suitable role and getting more scoring punch at the position should be a priority. See the above wrap-up for Houston

Kelvin Cato for Austin Croshere!!!! :dance: :pepper: :dance:

Anthem
06-18-2004, 01:30 AM
The four Western Conference playoff finalists - Minnesota (Kevin Garnett), the L.A. Lakers (Karl Malone), San Antonio (Tim Duncan) and Sacramento (Chris Webber) - all have standout producers at the '4' slot. If the Rockets have designs of getting past these teams in next year's playoffs, moving Cato to a more suitable role and getting more scoring punch at the position should be a priority.

Wow, that's moronic. They need O from the 4 because everybody else has it? And how many of them have a 7'6" Mandarin playing center?

While I'm not against Cato, I've got to say that if the Rockets think Croshere will do better than Cato against Garnett, Duncan, and Webber, they've got another thing coming. Luckily, Van Gundy has witnessed all of Croshere's best games in person (with one exception: the Rockets game). Maybe there's a chance after all!