PDA

View Full Version : Metallica - Death Magnetic

Shade
09-09-2008, 05:34 PM
For any old-school Metallica fans here (Black Album and back), you'd be doing yourself a disservice not to pick up this album. I have listened to it several times now and it's easily their best album in 17 years.

And it's approximately eleventy-billion times better than St. Anger.

All Nightmare Long and The Judas Kiss are amazing and arguably the best songs on the album. There is a stretch in each that sounds like classic Metallica thrash. Just great stuff.

That Was Just Your Life feels like something off of the Black Album. I like it a lot.

One fans should enjoy the pseudo-sequel The Day That Never Comes.

The Unforgiven III is good. It sounds almost like a mix of the first two Unforgiven songs. IMO, it's the better of the two sequels.

Suicide & Redemption is a very, very solid instrumental.

The album is only 10 songs (although most of them top out over 7 minutes), and really, Broken, Beat, and Scarred is the only song that I find myself skipping over with regularity. The End of the Line, Cyanide, and My Apocalypse are all solid songs.

Shade's grade: 8/10

heywoode
09-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks, Shadely!

I'm downloading it now, trying to take a little bit of food out of Lars Ulrich's mouth!

MrSparko
09-09-2008, 08:42 PM
They were as Gods who wrote these songs

Raskolnikov
09-10-2008, 04:51 AM
Is it as melodic as Ride the lightning, Master of puppets and And justice for all...? Then I'll definitely buy it. Starting from the Black album, they only went downhill for me. Most of St. Anger is just crap.

Shade
09-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Is it as melodic as Ride the lightning, Master of puppets and And justice for all...? Then I'll definitely buy it. Starting from the Black album, they only went downhill for me. Most of St. Anger is just crap.

It has it's moments for sure. It's not on par with those three albums, but it's still a very good album.

Download All Nightmare Long. Now.

Stryder
09-11-2008, 11:44 PM
Yeah, not too bad at all...

Raskolnikov
09-12-2008, 03:10 AM
I'm gonna buy it today. It's not really my kind of music anymore (I admit, I've become soft), but since I heard those 3 80's albums, I've always been a sucker for Metallica...

Shade
09-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Let us know what 'ya think, Rasko.

The more I listen to it, the more I like it. Unlike St. Anger, where I thought it was pretty good at first, but it really wore on me with multiple listens. No solos and tinny drums my ***.

Shade
09-14-2008, 12:43 PM
So, woodey, Rasko...your thoughts?

heywoode
09-14-2008, 01:24 PM
EDITED::

Okay, I took the time to listen to it as I was doing some housekeeping in itunes, and I gotta say it is refreshing. Nice to hear them get some of their old sound back. I agree with Shade's assessment completely. I highly recommend any Metallica fan to download it! (If you like what you hear, go see them live and give them some money...That's how the revenue stream should work.)

Raskolnikov
09-22-2008, 11:14 AM
After 3 quick listens (I skipped a lot), I would say it's better than St.Anger, but it still has a lot of crap I really don't want to hear.

Just like on St.Anger, a lot of the songs aren't very smooth, with sudden rythm changes and unnecessary parts that kind of ruin the song. For instance, the day that never comes is a fantastic song until the solo starts. Not that the solo is that bad or anything, it just doesn't fit well with the previous part at all. It's clear that they're trying different things, but it rarely brings out something good (the piano on the Unforgiven III I like a lot). Sometimes it seems like they just recorded a jam session, or only made some minor modifications to it.

Also: it's good that Lars got rid of the weird sounding drums, but for me he can tune it down a bit every once in a while. The drums are way too dominant most of the time.

I may start liking it better by listening some more, but I don't think I'll ever find it a good album. Right now, I would unbuy it in a heartbeat.

Lord Helmet
09-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Oh I liked it.

Shade
09-23-2008, 06:00 PM
After 3 quick listens (I skipped a lot), I would say it's better than St.Anger, but it still has a lot of crap I really don't want to hear.

Just like on St.Anger, a lot of the songs aren't very smooth, with sudden rythm changes and unnecessary parts that kind of ruin the song. For instance, the day that never comes is a fantastic song until the solo starts. Not that the solo is that bad or anything, it just doesn't fit well with the previous part at all. It's clear that they're trying different things, but it rarely brings out something good (the piano on the Unforgiven III I like a lot). Sometimes it seems like they just recorded a jam session, or only made some minor modifications to it.

Also: it's good that Lars got rid of the weird sounding drums, but for me he can tune it down a bit every once in a while. The drums are way too dominant most of the time.

I may start liking it better by listening some more, but I don't think I'll ever find it a good album. Right now, I would unbuy it in a heartbeat.

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it so much, Rasky.

I agree with you about The Day That Never Comes. It does feel a little disjointed. It's still not bad, but there was a lot of wasted potential there.

As for the drums, well, you'd have to place blame for that on the record producer. But since I'm a drummer at heart, I can say I don't mind one bit. :D

I think you'll like it more as you listen to it more. I know I have, which is the exact opposite effect St. Anger had on me.

To woodey and Helmet: :rock:

efx
09-24-2008, 08:17 AM
As a long time metallica fan I'm really enjoying this one and I think compositionally it's their best effort since the black album.

The sound quality is atrocious. This thing was ruined before it even got to mastering (and it's mastered by one of the best ears in the world) and that's really putting a damper on things for me.

But overall the songs are great and I can't wait to see them live sometime soon actually.

On a more personal note, I can't fathom how people got upset at Lars for doing what he did and not condemning the creator of napster for creating a method of stealing and walking away with millions for doing so. Maybe it's because I'm in the music business to some degree myself but I don't understand how people justify it. I understand doing it, but I don't understand trying to make it seem like the right thing to do. Touring and CD's are two different things and one is not really, and shouldn't be, related to the other.

Oh, and here's a link that goes a long way to explain as to why this CD, and many others nowaydays, sounds terrible. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

Raskolnikov
10-07-2008, 08:35 AM
Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it so much, Rasky.

I agree with you about The Day That Never Comes. It does feel a little disjointed. It's still not bad, but there was a lot of wasted potential there.

As for the drums, well, you'd have to place blame for that on the record producer. But since I'm a drummer at heart, I can say I don't mind one bit. :D

I think you'll like it more as you listen to it more. I know I have, which is the exact opposite effect St. Anger had on me.

To woodey and Helmet: :rock:
I've given it some more listens, and it does get better (like most albums that aren't complete crap). To put it very simple: I think tracks 1, 2, 4 and 7 are good songs, the rest has some good parts but also a lot of bad parts. That's 4 out of 10, not enough to call this a good album...they can do better.

As a long time metallica fan I'm really enjoying this one and I think compositionally it's their best effort since the black album.
Really? I think Load is a lot better than this one. Reload maybe as good. They're very different, okay, but that won't stop me from comparing them.

The sound quality is atrocious. This thing was ruined before it even got to mastering (and it's mastered by one of the best ears in the world) and that's really putting a damper on things for me.I don't think it's that bad, except for the ever dominating presence of the drums. I put on ...and Justice for all once after playing it, and I even thought Death Magnetic had a better sound, not that raw. But that may very well be completely normal, since we are almost 20 year later, and technology has only got better.

On a more personal note, I can't fathom how people got upset at Lars for doing what he did and not condemning the creator of napster for creating a method of stealing and walking away with millions for doing so. Maybe it's because I'm in the music business to some degree myself but I don't understand how people justify it. I understand doing it, but I don't understand trying to make it seem like the right thing to do. Touring and CD's are two different things and one is not really, and shouldn't be, related to the other.
I agree.

efx
10-08-2008, 03:20 AM
Both Justice and Death Magnetic suffer in how they were produced but they do it in two different aspects.

Justice was mixed poorly. There is no audible bass and everything sounds like it's recorded in a closet.

Death Magnetic was mastered & mixed poorly. The mix is bad because the drums are just way too loud and James vocals is just way too far back in the mix

The mastering is the real crime here though. Rock albums are supposed to sound punchy yes but this is distorted and that is never good. If you look at the waveform it's a solid block. Music is supposed to have dynamics but this is squashed to all hell and back which is something that didn't happen on Justice.

I run a couple of pro sound monitors at home in my studio and it sounds like they are about to break apart. Unforgivable for a supposedly pro product.

I don't understand why they didn't go for the production values on the black album..