PDA

View Full Version : Ainge suggests Rasheed might have been traded to the PACERS had he not brokered

Slick Pinkham
06-16-2004, 10:04 PM
HTTP://WWW.BOSTON.COM/SPORTS/BASKETBALL/ARTICLES/2004/06/16/CREDIT_AINGE_FOR_CHAMPIONSHIP_ASSIST/

NBA FINALS NOTEBOOK

Credit Ainge for championship assist

By Shira Springer, Globe Staff | June 16, 2004

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- Watching the Detroit Pistons play for the NBA title with a major assist from trading-deadline acquisition Rasheed Wallace elicits no partisan or proprietary feelings from Celtics executive director of basketball operations Danny Ainge. But except for Detroit president of basketball operations Joe Dumars, a case could be made that no other NBA executive improved the Pistons' title chances more than Ainge, who who midwived the three-team trade that brought Wallace from Atlanta to Detroit.

"First of all, when the trade was going down, I knew what a home run that was for Detroit," said Ainge. "My feeling was, `I don't care who wins the NBA championship if I can't win it.'

"The other thing is, do I want Rasheed Wallace to end up in Detroit and be a good team or do I want him to end up in Indiana and have them be a good team or do I want him to end up in New Jersey or New York and have them be a much better team? He was going to end up in one of those good team cities because I had conversations with Rasheed Wallace's agent myself. Rasheed didn't want to come to Boston."

Asked if he tried to obtain Wallace's services, Ainge said, "Absolutely. I looked into all the good players. I don't know what I would have done to get Rasheed and so forth. But yes, I had conversations when Rasheed was with Portland and when Rasheed was with Atlanta.

"The bottom line was, I got Chucky Atkins and a first-round draft choice for nothing. That's all I care about because I'm trying to get better. I'm trying to get to where Detroit is." Ainge then clarified his remarks, noting that he did not consider one-time Boston starter Mike James "nothing."
He simply felt a point guard of James's skill and experience would be easy to find in the future. For Ainge, James was the player who made the contract numbers work for the deal.

"As far as I'm concerned I'm rooting for Detroit," said Ainge. "I don't want Phil Jackson to beat Red Auerbach's record [for most championships as coach]. I didn't do as much for Detroit winning it as Atlanta did or Portland did; they traded Rasheed twice."

House call for Doc?

A meeting of Celtics past, present, and possibly future took place when new coach Doc Rivers almost literally bumped into Robert Parish in the cavernous Palace of Auburn Hills. The two shook hands and Rivers said, "I figured if I couldn't beat you, I might as well join you." Parish laughed. Rivers added, "I want to see you around a lot." Parish seemed taken aback by the remark, and Rivers said, "Really." Parish indicated that Rivers should call him, and Rivers made it clear he would. "I'd like to see Larry Bird around if we can get him around," said Rivers. "He can say he's with the Pacers, but we all know [he's a Celtic]. I want K.C. [Jones], Red. I think it's so important for our young guys to understand our history."

. . . Less than a year after acquiring Antoine Walker from the Celtics, the Mavericks left the power forward unprotected for the Charlotte Bobcats' expansion draft. It is not uncommon to find high-profile, highly paid players made available. New York's Allan Houston, along with Miami's Brian Grant and Eddie Jones, are examples of notable players with weighty contracts who were left unprotected. Typically, expansion teams prefer not to take on large contracts.

-------------
gee thanks, Danny!
:mad:

Shade
06-16-2004, 10:26 PM
Those comments just prove that Ainge has no business running a franchise.

ROCislandWarrior
06-16-2004, 10:38 PM
Those comments just prove that Ainge has no business running a franchise.

My thoughts exactly.

he should have just said "I like playing Franchise mode in NBA Inside Drive 2004 and this was one of the craziest trades I was able to pull off during the game...so I decided to see If I could do it in real life...and I did!"

Would have atleast had some logic behind his madness :devil:

Cactus Jax
06-16-2004, 10:49 PM
Ainge owes the Pacers Paul Pierce for Croshere and Pollard :mad: :mad:

Seriouly though, who were the Pacers planning on giving up??? Or maybe he meant when Sheed was a free-agent.

MSA2CF
06-16-2004, 10:50 PM
If the Celtics don't do at least a decent job next season, I am willing to bet that Danny will be fired toward the end of the year.

Unclebuck
06-16-2004, 10:54 PM
Those are some of the most stupid nonsensical comments I have ever heard a NBA GM make.

Oh Ainge, why not trade him out west. Duh

Slick Pinkham
06-17-2004, 09:39 AM
Sounds like people are blasting Ainge for telling the truth.

Boston gave up Mike James and got Atkins and a 1st rounder. I think it helped Boston a little bit. He'd rather Rasheed go to Detroit rather than a division rival like NY or NJ.

skyfire
06-17-2004, 10:54 AM
Sounds like people are blasting Ainge for telling the truth.

Boston gave up Mike James and got Atkins and a 1st rounder. I think it helped Boston a little bit. He'd rather Rasheed go to Detroit rather than a division rival like NY or NJ.

How many times did Cleveland play Detroit after the trade? Could have been a factor in Boston scraping into the playoffs so they could get 0wnd by the pacers.

DisplacedKnick
06-17-2004, 10:55 AM
These words of wisdom from the worst GM in the NBA. Nobody else even comes close since we got rid of Layden.

Rasheed to Indiana? Why? So he can be 6th man?

I don't know what teams were looking at him but I'd bet Indy was pretty close to the bottom of the list. I know NY was near the top and I don't think he'd have flourished there like he did in Detroit.

Fool
06-17-2004, 12:11 PM
Yeah, I don't get the bashing of Ainge for this move either. (Though we can bash him for plenty of other reasons) he traded James a 10 ppg back-up who was starting and got Atkins (a PG who led a team into the playoffs just 2 years ago) who averaged better numbers and is at least as good if not better than James. Oh, and he got a free pick.

He's now left Chucky unprotected in the expansion draft. Atkins makes about 4 mill next year which is not bad for a competent starting PG and I think he is a lock to be taken by the Bobcats. Ainge clearly isn't building for next season and it looks like he thinks there is a serious house cleaning needed in Boston. It looks like he expects to build for a couple of seasons instead of hoping he can dump and jump on the free agents next year.