PDA

View Full Version : McGrady: Yes..or No??

Shade
06-16-2004, 08:13 PM
Is he any more of a "me" player than Ron or Al?

Ragnar
06-16-2004, 08:13 PM
There should be a heck yes option

TheSauceMaster
06-16-2004, 08:17 PM
Yes , But only if he agree's to sign more than a 1 year deal , we don't need to **** away all our talent to get a 1 year rental. So unless he agrees to atleast a 3 year deal then I say NO .

MSA2CF
06-16-2004, 08:23 PM
Mr. Ech and I share the same opinion.

sweabs
06-16-2004, 10:04 PM
I would rather get a SG who is not "superstar" status - and be able to keep Ron.

ROCislandWarrior
06-16-2004, 10:18 PM
Is he any more of a "me" player than Ron or Al?

exactly, then I guess Mr. Ech must want Ron out of here as well.

If that guy doesn't have a "me" attitude then no one does.

If we get me-mac, I am sure none of us will mind it when we are hoisting the banners in Conseco.

Unclebuck
06-16-2004, 11:23 PM
I voted yes and a strong yes.

If you have a chance to get a player of McGrady's caliber you do everything you can to get him.

sweabs
06-16-2004, 11:24 PM

If you have a chance to get a player of McGrady's caliber you do everything you can to get him.

UB - don't leave our save-Ronnie side!!! :laugh:

Unclebuck
06-16-2004, 11:57 PM

I am not changing teams in this debate, but McGrady is a superstar

sweabs
06-17-2004, 12:19 AM

I still say we cannot give up Ron to get T-Mac.

The only players I'd trade Ron for are Garnett and Duncan - which will never happen.

Kegboy
06-17-2004, 12:23 AM

The only players I'd trade Ron for are Garnett and Duncan - which will never happen.

My opinion is we can trade Ron if we only lose Ron, and filler like Pollard. It comes down to this, would you rather lose Ron, or Al AND JB AND Freddie? That's a close call for me, one I've been going back and forth on. Ron AND any of those 3 is a non-starter for me.

Plus, I wholeheartedly believe we'll trade Ron only if the front office is having problems with him, like some of the rumors we've been hearing. If that's not an issue, we're not trading him for anybody.

Suaveness
06-17-2004, 12:24 AM

Yes indeed.

beast23
06-17-2004, 12:38 AM
T-Mac is definitely someone I'd want on the team.

But I do believe that we have to be careful about what we are giving up. If Orlando would want both Al and Ron, then I'd vote No.

This team is very close right now. It needs a perimeter shooter and another big man. A backup PG if AJ leaves.

If getting T-Mac means we create a hole at SF (by losing both Al and Ron), then we aren't significantly closer to winning a title next year than we were this year.

If that were the case, I'd downgrade what we want to exactly what we need..... a player capable of hitting perimeter shots. Nowhere in that statement does it say that we necessarily require a superstar. So let's not lose both Al and Ron to get what we need.

We may not need a Mercedes when a Cadillac will do.

Anthem
06-17-2004, 03:02 AM
As others have said, it's all about the price.

Other than that, I'm not worried. TMac's was the only decent player on that team and he had a terrible coach. He's a great scorer, but he's not a leader. That's fine, we have Jermaine O'Neal and Rick Carlisle.

The guy is in a terrible situation and wants out. Who wouldn't?

Will Galen
06-17-2004, 06:33 AM
I answered yes to the question of 'would you want McGrady on this team.' Of course I would! I'm surprised everyone didn't vote yes, because the question is just that,'having McGrady on the team.' It's not asking who he's being traded for.

Who he's being traded for is the rub with me. Unclebuck says, "If you have a chance to get a player of McGrady's caliber you do everything you can to get him." "He's a superstar."

I agree with UB, but only if the trade is within reason.

I have trouble with these trades giving up half the team to get TMac. What's reasonable? Ron and Al? No I think that is giving up to much, because we are maybe creating a hole at small forward. Sure we could move TMac there, but he's not going to play the position better than both Ron and Al, and that's what he would have to do since Al is Ron's sub. Remember those late 90's teams where we were a small forward away from a championship for several years. I don't want to go back there. We could plug Bender in at small forward, and I think that might work, but what if it doesn't? Then we have hurt ourselves because TMac is going to have to play SF and now we need a shooting guard again. (Fred Jones? Donnie has said Reggie's replacement is not on the roster.)

No, I don't see the benefit of giving up both Ron and Al.

Ron and Pollard, or Ron and Croshere, I would do. I would even throw in a first rounder or two. However, I can't see the Pacers doing Ron and Bender. If, if, if, if . . . Bender ever breaks out he's going to be as good as TMac if not better.

As for other possible trades, Orlando won't part with TMac unless they get an all star in return. There's reports the Sun's would give Marion, and Joe Johnson, for TMac, so Al and Bender just isn't going to work. That's a homer trade.

Essentially, McGrady is a primadonna who left his first team because he didn't want to share the spotlight.

Now, he's thinking about jumping ship cause he put himself in position to be the only legit star on the team and he doesn't want to carry the whole load. (My highly subjective opinion.)

Skaut would be my choice for the armchair quarterback award if he posted more, but I have to disagree with his above statements. I don't think McGrady is a primadonna. As least not any more than a lot of NBA players. And I don't think he left because he didn't want to share the spotlight. I think he left for two reasons. One, he doesn't like cold weather. But the main reason he left wasn't because he didn't want to share the spotlight, it was because he wasn't getting any spotlight. Skaut refuses to call Vince Carter 'Vinsanity,' but there's a reason Vince has that name. And I think 'Vinsanity' is the main reason TMac left Toronto. I remember reading a year before he left that TMac was upset with 'Vinsanity.' Even Robin gets billing in Batman and Robin, but TMac felt it was all Vince.

As for TMac 'jumping ship cause he put himself in position to be the only legit star on the team.' I don't think that's true. I think Skaut is forgetting about Grant Hill. TMac was all for Grant Hill, and at that time Hill was a bigger name than TMac. McGrady also tried very hard to get Tim Duncan and Tim is still a bigger name than TMac. What has destroyed Orlando is Grant Hill's big contract and him not being able to play.

I think you have to try and see it from TMac's point of view. I think he would prefer to stay in Orlando, but he's just tired of waiting. I think he has lost confidence in the Magic's front office, because they keep promising to upgrade, but it's getting worse not better. Losing 18 games in a row, and 61 games for the season, is the proof. And the reason TMac wants out of Orlando.

I really feel he would be a great fit here. I just don't want to give up the farm to get him.

indygeezer
06-17-2004, 06:48 AM
I'm with Scot. NO. Too radical of a change. We need more than a tweak but not a complete overhaul.

I prefer DW to find that next JO and bring him here. TmcG would really hamnstring our cap # for a looong time, assuming that we have a cap after the next set of negotiations.

But no. We have too many pieces in place and can afford to bring in diifernt ones thru a trade. Ones that don't cost as much and have less risk associated with them.

naptownmenace
06-17-2004, 11:50 AM
And I think 'Vinsanity' is the main reason TMac left Toronto. I remember reading a year before he left that TMac was upset with 'Vinsanity.' Even Robin gets billing in Batman and Robin, but TMac felt it was all Vince.

As for TMac 'jumping ship cause he put himself in position to be the only legit star on the team.' I don't think that's true. I think Skaut is forgetting about Grant Hill. TMac was all for Grant Hill, and at that time Hill was a bigger name than TMac. McGrady also tried very hard to get Tim Duncan and Tim is still a bigger name than TMac. What has destroyed Orlando is Grant Hill's big contract and him not being able to play.

I think you have to try and see it from TMac's point of view. I think he would prefer to stay in Orlando, but he's just tired of waiting. I think he has lost confidence in the Magic's front office, because they keep promising to upgrade, but it's getting worse not better. Losing 18 games in a row, and 61 games for the season, is the proof. And the reason TMac wants out of Orlando.

I really feel he would be a great fit here. I just don't want to give up the farm to get him.

Will, you summed up the situation perfectly. People seem to forget that there is two sides to every story.

When you look at the moves that the Magic have made the last couple of years it's easy to see how McGrady could feel disillusioned with management. Heck, Kobe and Shaq complain more than he has and their situations are much better!

TMac would fit in well with JO and as long as the Pacers only have to give up no more than two of their three SFs in the deal (Ron, Al, Bender) I'd be happy with it.