PDA

View Full Version : OT - Randy Wittman to coach Hoosiers?

MagicRat
06-16-2004, 05:21 PM
http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/sports/8931762.htm?1c

The hottest rumor at the NBA predraft camp in Chicago the other day was that Indiana University plans to buy out the last two years of coach Mike Davis' contract and install Timberwolves assistant Randy Wittman as his successor.

Shade
06-16-2004, 05:50 PM
:eek:

I don't know how I feel about that yet. :hmm:

ChicagoJ
06-16-2004, 05:55 PM
Witt had nothing to work with in Cleveland.

I'd love to see him coaching the Pacers someday. Maybe when Mike Woodson is coaching Detroit, Isiah coaching the Knicks, and Butch Carter...well that'll never happen unless Grunwald can get another GM position. Where's Jim Thomas these days? Wasn't he working with Keith Smart in Fort Wayne at one time.

That IU team had a lot of guys with a very high basketball IQ. And Kitchell.

Bball
06-16-2004, 06:00 PM
I had a theory and I don't think this fits.

My theory was that IU could probably not afford to do something of this nature right now and even if they could (and felt it best) to buy out his contract they would replace him with another African American coach in order to avoid the type of accusations that would follow.

If they replaced him with a white coach it would have to be a top notch commodity. IE: Someone like a Majerus or a Pitino... and that isn't saying that they wouldn't hire an upper shelf black coach either. Or a major Indiana figure.

I don't think Wittman fits any of those categories. He's borderline popular as far as his IU ties would go, and does have some track record coaching but I don't put him in the same regard (as far as Indiana U hero status) as a Buckner or Thomas or Alford. And he certainly doesn't have a track record of coaching college.

Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see it.... tho I do think Mike Davis might've run his course at IU.

OTOH... I would see him on a short list if Davis quit.

-Bball

MSA2CF
06-16-2004, 07:39 PM
I would love Randy to come back to Indiana.

MSA2CF
06-16-2004, 07:48 PM
I'll tell you all how I really feel later.

When you come back, make sure you send me your nominations for best sigs and avatars.

For more information, check out the Pub.

Kegboy
06-16-2004, 09:04 PM
I don't like dumping coaches, and Bball's right, they'd catch major flack for being racist. However, I think Wittman would be pretty darn good for IU. Will almost definitely lose some recruiting, but he can combat that by going the Pete Carroll route and promising to teach players what they need to know to make it to the NBA. He's a highly underrated coach. Don't discount what he's done for the Wolves.

That said, I bleed Black and Gold, so you guys probably shouldn't listen to me. :devil:

Bball
06-16-2004, 09:11 PM
I don't like dumping coaches, and Bball's right, they'd catch major flack for being racist. However, I think Wittman would be pretty darn good for IU. Will almost definitely lose some recruiting, but he can combat that by going the Pete Carroll route and promising to teach players what they need to know to make it to the NBA. He's a highly underrated coach. Don't discount what he's done for the Wolves.

That said, I bleed Black and Gold, so you guys probably shouldn't listen to me. :devil:

If you take out Wittman's name and insert Mike Woodson I would be wondering. That would fit. That would deflect criticism and bring in an 'Indiana' guy with experience.

-Bball

Pacer4fun
06-16-2004, 11:25 PM
This would be great news to me. I'm a fan of Knight and how he wanted basketball played. I believe Knight called Wittman the smartest B-ball IQ player he had. He got a raw deal with the Cavs, the team was playing great before injuries so he would get my vote, if I had one. :dance:

kerosene
06-17-2004, 12:49 AM
Not on topic but somewhat related:

Keith Smart is evidently in the running for Utah Jazz assistant coach postion. He was with Golden State this past season.

Young
06-17-2004, 12:56 AM
I heard about Steve Alford in Indiana.