PDA

View Full Version : Ah, how soon we forget...

bulletproof
06-16-2004, 03:37 PM
I remember the doom and gloom that descended upon these boards after we lost Brad.

When Isiah was fired and Rick came on board, people became more optimistic, but not overly so. I, on the other hand, predicted a trip to the finals.

Why?

Because I knew Rick was the difference, not any one player. That's because Rick implements a system. For all your talk about this system, UB, you seemed to have forgotten Rick in all these discussions about Ron.

Moreover, I believe once Rick has a more balanced roster, we'll see just how potent his system can be. Especially if you add a player like McGrady or Pierce to the mix (think game 4 against Detroit).

Rick will adjust to the loss of Ron. In fact, he may revel in it because Ron resisted his system, and even spoke out against it.

Bball
06-16-2004, 03:50 PM
I remember the doom and gloom that descended upon these boards after we lost Brad.

When Isiah was fired and Rick came on board, people became more optimistic, but not overly so. I, on the other hand, predicted a trip to the finals.

Why?

Because I knew Rick was the difference, not any one player. That's because Rick implements a system. For all your talk about this system, UB, you seemed to have forgotten Rick in all these discussions about Ron.

Moreover, I believe once Rick has a more balanced roster, we'll see just how potent his system can be. Especially if you add a player like McGrady or Pierce to the mix (think game 4 against Detroit).

Rick will adjust to the loss of Ron. In fact, he may revel in it because Ron resisted his system, and even spoke out against it.

That's where I'm at.... I have faith in the system. Your last line is what really stands out though.

-Bball

ChicagoJ
06-16-2004, 04:02 PM
Although my comments appearantly killed this thread, I know where I've heard this before...

http://www.pacersdigest.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3988&start=100

We wouldn't have won 50 games this year without Ron.

Um, that's what a lot of people were saying after we lost Brad (except in the present tense, of course).

Ron is MUCH better than Brad. Brad doesn't play defense.

So what. Nobody is saying to 'cut' Ron (at least not anymore). Ron's replacement may also be worth 11+ games per year (perhaps even more.)

I'm getting bored with that argument, because it doesn't give the coaches or management *any* credit. Rick, IMO, has proven that he can put together a strategy that maximizes the talents of his collective group of players while hiding many of thier weaknesses. Rick put together a strategy that allowed this team - with an admittedly unbalanced roster - to win 61 games and advance to the ECFs. So who really cares if the strategy might be different, as long as they're still effective?

Unclebuck
06-16-2004, 11:02 PM
So many threads got lost today in all the hoopla, and so little work got done today, shhhh don't tell my boss.

BP you make an excellent point, and believe me I have 100% confidence in Rick Carlisle and this coaching staff.

However anyone who says that losing Artest won't hurt the defense is simply in denial, your points about the offense, I have no problem with, but you don't lose a defensive player of the year, and a guy who sets the tone defensively and expect to be as good defensively

ChicagoJ
06-16-2004, 11:04 PM
So many threads got lost today in all the hoopla, and so little work got done today, shhhh don't tell my boss.

Yeah, I didn't have very many chargeable hours today. (Especially since I kept putting my foot in my mouth on that other thread.) :blush: Our little secret.

Anthem
06-17-2004, 03:04 AM
However anyone who says that losing Artest won't hurt the defense is simply in denial, your points about the offense, I have no problem with, but you don't lose a defensive player of the year, and a guy who sets the tone defensively and expect to be as good defensively

Agreed. Larry Brown is a great coach, but does anyone think the Pistons D would be just as good if they lost Ben Wallace?