PDA

View Full Version : FSN at IU?

Wu-Gambino
08-16-2008, 11:06 AM
Hey, I'm going to be living down in Bloomington (Teeter) my freshman year. I'm already down here for IFS, and noticed that the university cable does not have FSN. This obviously means no Pacers. I know you can request a channel to the university, but does anyone know how effective the process is?

BTW - Is anyone in the same situation I am in?

Trader Joe
08-16-2008, 11:13 AM
I tried it. It's not worth the time. They didn't listen. If you really want to watch a game hit up Buffalouie's or head to the union.

Sollozzo
08-16-2008, 12:03 PM
I tried it too. They didn't even answer my email. Classy.

Sollozzo
08-16-2008, 02:18 PM
IU TV carries a billion foreign channels, yet doesn't even carry the games of the *INDIANA* professional basketball team located 50 miles away.

Trader Joe
08-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Yeah, it's B.S., but there are plenty of places to catch the game in Bloomington if you really want to. I don't know what your schedule is gonna look like Gambino, but I was too busy for most of the year to really worry too much about missing the games. I caught them when I could, and I would always watch when I was at home, but having PD kept me informed.

Sollozzo
08-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Yeah, it's B.S., but there are plenty of places to catch the game in Bloomington if you really want to. I don't know what your schedule is gonna look like Gambino, but I was too busy for most of the year to really worry too much about missing the games. I caught them when I could, and I would always watch when I was at home, but having PD kept me informed.

Same here. Your classes, home work, and social life will consume most of your time. Catching 3 Pacers games a week will really be about the last thing on your list once you get into the college scene.

I would have liked to have watched more games my freshman year. But I had so much stuff to do that I never really felt like leaving and going somewhere to watch a game. You just get so busy.

Even moving into my own place didn't really change things. I could watch games, but again, your classes and social life take up most of your times. Combining that with the fact that I had tons of group projects this semester meant that I had basically zero time to watch the Pacers. Looks like I picked a good couple of seasons to basically miss, but like Indy said, checking PD daily (which I still did) allows you to keep up with the Pacers.

It's just really really hard to watch the majority of an 82 game season when you are in college.

Trader Joe
08-16-2008, 03:39 PM
I bet I only watched around twenty games in their entirety this past year as a sophomore, and maybe watched another thirty or forty in bits and pieces, and when I say bits and pieces I mean I might have caught like five minutes of the game. The rest I totally missed.

Sollozzo
08-16-2008, 03:45 PM
I bet I only watched around twenty games in their entirety this past year as a sophomore, and maybe watched another thirty or forty in bits and pieces, and when I say bits and pieces I mean I might have caught like five minutes of the game. The rest I totally missed.

Yeah, I was probably a little worse than that. Maybe 10 in their entirety, another 30 or so on in the background as I was doing work, and totally missed out on the rest.

That being said, Colts games are a blast in college. I don't know if you're a fan or not Gambino, but the NFL season is fun in the dorms...especially my fresh year when the Colts won it all. You'll have some Colts fans in your dorm, but then you'll have a lot of people from Chicago and "the region" too who are obsessed with the Bears and despise the Colts. Its fun when everyone is watching the games every weekend and talking trash.

It was such a perfect year for me as a Colts fan. There were more Bears fans than Colts fans, so the Colts beating the Bears was certainly the most fulfilling moment of my life as a sports fan. Us Colts fans literally rode that for the rest of the year.

Trader Joe
08-16-2008, 03:50 PM
Oh man was football season a blast freshman year! Our floor had a great mix of fans on it Colts, Bears, Cowboys, Patriots were all represented. The group I watched the Super Bowl with was approximately 50-50 Bears and Colts and I'll never forget Hester returning that kickoff and me wanting to go bury my head in the toilet.
Which I ended up having to do anyway, my birthday is February 4th which if you will remember was the day the Super Bowl was on, so I kind of had to deal with a double whammy. It was a rough night by about 3 am, but it was worth it (I think). The amount of fun I had celebrating with Colts fans was just amazing. I remember walking out the dorm immediately afterwards (I was on the bottom floor of McNutt-Bordner) and you could just hear all the Colts fans cheering all over campus. It was a lot of fun especially cause the guys I became really good friends with next door to my room were Bears fans. I got endless miles out of it.

Sollozzo
08-16-2008, 04:02 PM
Oh man was football season a blast freshman year! Our floor had a great mix of fans on it Colts, Bears, Cowboys, Patriots were all represented. The group I watched the Super Bowl with was approximately 50-50 Bears and Colts and I'll never forget Hester returning that kickoff and me wanting to go bury my head in the toilet.
Which I ended up having to do anyway, my birthday is February 4th which if you will remember was the day the Super Bowl was on, so I kind of had to deal with a double whammy. It was a rough night by about 3 am, but it was worth it (I think). The amount of fun I had celebrating with Colts fans was just amazing. I remember walking out the dorm immediately afterwards (I was on the bottom floor of McNutt-Bordner) and you could just hear all the Colts fans cheering all over campus. It was a lot of fun especially cause the guys I became really good friends with next door to my room were Bears fans. I got endless miles out of it.

LOL, sounds quite a bit like my experience. I still remember it like it was yesterday. It was one of the greatest days of my life excluding things that actually "matter" (family, friends, etc). I remember weeks and months after we would say to Bears fans "hey, remember that time the Colts won the super bowl?"

The Bears fans were absolutely insufferable that season. Before 06, I was completely indifferent on the Bears, but after a season of narrowmindedness they grew to just be too much. I was good friends with a lot of Bears fans, but when a game was on they were annoying to be around. Remember when the Bears came back against Arizona? That was Bears fans at their finest (worst).

A ton of Bears fans come from "the region" (those who think they live in Chicago). They were the worst, because they despise the Colts and Manning. So seeing Manning and the Colts get their first ring against their team was amazing (and hilarious). I remember being at the Colts-Pats game when it was 21-3 thinking "my god, we aren't going to the super bowl but the freaking Bears are." It would have been absolute hell once I got back to the dorms, lol.

I say all of this in jest of course. I had many friends who were huge Bears fans. But had they beat us in the SB, I think jumping out of my 13th floor Eigenmann window would have been more appealing than hearing them carrying on for the rest of the year. It would have been absolute hell.

Wu-Gambino
08-16-2008, 04:03 PM
Same here. Your classes, home work, and social life will consume most of your time. Catching 3 Pacers games a week will really be about the last thing on your list once you get into the college scene.

I would have liked to have watched more games my freshman year. But I had so much stuff to do that I never really felt like leaving and going somewhere to watch a game. You just get so busy.

Even moving into my own place didn't really change things. I could watch games, but again, your classes and social life take up most of your times. Combining that with the fact that I had tons of group projects this semester meant that I had basically zero time to watch the Pacers. Looks like I picked a good couple of seasons to basically miss, but like Indy said, checking PD daily (which I still did) allows you to keep up with the Pacers.

It's just really really hard to watch the majority of an 82 game season when you are in college.
Yeah I figured that, it still would be nice to be able to get Pacers games (especially as background noise when I'm doing work or studying).

BTW - I'm a Colts fan and I'm eagerly anticipating the NFL season. :D

SoupIsGood
08-16-2008, 04:18 PM
Same situation here. About the only way I'd be able to catch games is as background noise while studying, but we don't get that channel. Freshman year I lucked into some tickets and so probably ended seeing around 20 games total, but last year I saw perhaps five games. It kind of sucks, but at least the Colts are good and are shown on accessible channels.

And yes, you will have a fun freshman year if the Bears are any good. Butler has an unusual amount if Chicago and "region" students, and when that superbowl came around the campus was split pretty much 50/50. Pretty fun!

BTW what are you studying?

duke dynamite
08-17-2008, 01:06 AM
You have two options:

1: Drive 20 mins down to Bedford and watch it on my big screen.

2: Weeknights, go over to Ivy Tech and I'll play them on a DLP projector.

LOL

Dab
08-17-2008, 06:03 PM
IU TV carries a billion foreign channels, yet doesn't even carry the games of the *INDIANA* professional basketball team located 50 miles away.

Yeah, but look at it this way: How many members of the Pacers attend IU? None. How many foreign students attend IU? More than a billion.

MrSparko
08-17-2008, 07:04 PM
Hey man! That's just like....your opinion man.

Dab
08-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Hey man! That's just like....your opinion man.

That's right, and considering I don't even own a TV, it's probably not worth much in this instance.

MrSparko
08-17-2008, 09:02 PM
Don't own a TV? I'm curious do you enjoy listening to Mos Def on your Apple Ipod while running up beautiful mountain range landscapes on your New Balance running shoes. ^_^

Dab
08-17-2008, 11:37 PM
Mos Def is cool, but I don't own an iPod, Bloomington doesn't have mountain ranges, and I generally buy my shoes at the Shoe Carnival if I can't find something suitable at a rummage sale. I do ride my mountain bike with horses.

And I do have a 22" flat panel monitor for my computer, so I download any TV shows I want to watch, which is pretty cool since the commercials are already stripped out. Unfortunately, that setup is not ideal for live events such as sports, but that's why God invented friends with televisions and sports bars.

Wu-Gambino
08-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Don't own a TV? I'm curious do you enjoy listening to Mos Def on your Apple Ipod while running up beautiful mountain range landscapes on your New Balance running shoes. ^_^
Somebody's been reading "Stuff White People Like" a bit too much.:laugh:

MrSparko
08-20-2008, 05:12 PM
He started it with having a cult classic movie character as an avatar and not owning a tv and telling people about it. :p