PDA

View Full Version : Is Walsh merely posturing?

RSmits
06-16-2004, 01:11 PM
I could have brought this up in the T-Mac/Kravitz thread, but I think the issue is noteworthy apart from just bringing in T-Mac. After listening to DW and reading his quotes to the paper for several years, I really was stunned when he said to Kravitz (regarding T-Mac):

"We could make it work, absolutely," Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said Tuesday. "I have spoken to somebody in their organization, and I sensed there was interest there. What they're telling me is, there's a good chance he's going to be traded. So, yeah, a player like that out there, we're definitely going to be interested."

As you all know, Walsh holds his cards very close to his vest, and LB is much the same way. I find it very difficult to believe that Walsh would come right out (and to Kravitz at that) and basically admit that they are interested in this trade.

In my opinion, this is simply a message to other teams that, if you want Al (or Ron), its going to cost you. It is his way of valuing his own players early in the process.

I was very surprised at the end of the season how frank Carlisle, DW and LB were that a shakeup would happen, and it would most likely involve Al. I think talking to the press in this way is the commencement of the games, and Walsh is just feeding the fire. As many people have recognized recently, Walsh moves are usually surprising, and I have no reason to think it will be any different this summer.

Unclebuck
06-16-2004, 01:17 PM
It does seem strange to me, very strange.

Although if Dw wanted maximum media coverage of his quotes he should have waited a few days, when draft and trade talks heat up.

As others have mentioned I was stunned to read that DW was answering those questions. Almost seemed like those posts that Bball does from time to time where he pre-supposes what someone will say

BigMac
06-16-2004, 01:22 PM
What scares me is that Walsh always keeps trade talk top secret. In admitting he's talking to Orlando, I think he's trying to get someone to overpay for McGrady or trying to do a Dale Davis for Antoine Walker deal by pissing off the other team so they won't trade (Pitino said he'd never deal with the Pacers again because they let trade talk out on that trade).

It scares me because I want McGrady. Period. And I don't think he'll get him if he's already talking about him in the press.

But, a deal could have already been struck, who knows? That's what I hope.

bread
06-16-2004, 01:22 PM
The thing that caught my attention is when Donnie said (paraphrased):" Once everyone agrees on the principles, our two guys for their one, you can make it work. It wouldn't be that hard."

That sounds a lot more concrete than just, "We've talked, and you never know."

Am I reading too much into Donnie's statement?

Bball
06-16-2004, 01:24 PM
(Pitino said he'd never deal with the Pacers again because they let trade talk out on that trade).

Who do the Lousiville Cardinals have that we'd want anyway?!

:P

-Bball

Bball
06-16-2004, 01:26 PM
As others have mentioned I was stunned to read that DW was answering those questions. Almost seemed like those posts that Bball does from time to time where he pre-supposes what someone will say

I thought the same thing! I thought Kravitz was using my schtick. :D

-Bball

wintermute
06-17-2004, 06:16 AM
on reflection, i've been thinking that it would be a lot more in character for donnie walsh to say these things as a smoke screen. i really think now that the plan is for something else.

or maybe like last summer, the big move was no move? admittedly it worked out pretty well, but i do believe some "balancing" is in order.

i just can't imagine donnie walsh pulling off a trade that's so "obvious" that half the league is talking about it...