PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Springsteen to play in the Super Bowl halftime show

Basketball Fan
08-12-2008, 12:46 AM
http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/sports/17159304/detail.html[/url]

Report: "The Boss" To Play Super Bowl Halftime Show

POSTED: 1:39 pm EDT August 11, 2008

New York, NY -- (Sports Network) - Bruce Springsteen will reportedly play the halftime show at Super Bowl XLIII.

The New York Post cited a source as saying Springsteen, the creator of such hits as "Born in the USA" and "Born to Run," will take the field at halftime of the February 1 contest in Tampa.

Springsteen would become the fifth straight veteran rock and roll act to play the Super Bowl halftime show following Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction at Super Bowl XXXVIII.

Paul McCartney was the first to follow Jackson. The Rolling Stones were next, followed by Prince and Tom Petty.

LG33
08-12-2008, 12:48 AM
Finally, a halftime show worth sticking around for.

ilive4sports
08-12-2008, 01:00 AM
Paul McCartney and Tom Petty werent bad. Maybe its because I am fans of them. I am really looking forward to this though.

pizza guy
08-13-2008, 09:44 AM
Wow, I must've completely skipped out when McCartney played because I don't remember that at all...

Petty was definitely worth watching.

Prince...eh...if you're a Prince fan, I guess...if there are any...I'm not.

The Boss is a good choice. I mean, seriously, when is Springsteen ever a bad choice?

--pizza

ChicagoJ
08-13-2008, 10:03 AM
According to Backstreets, it is not official yet.

http://www.backstreets.com/news.html

Keep your fingers crossed. This is long overdue.

We spent the entire "Tom Petty halftime show" wondering why they would put on a Springsteen rip-off instead of the real Springsteen (especially since the Boss and E Street Band were actively touring at the time. As of now, there is no rumor of any winter 2008/09 tour and the rumored fall leg of this tour was scrapped before any tickets went on sale.

I've assumed they would wait and have Springsteen peform whenever NYC hosts the Super Bowl. But with Danny's cancer and death, they aren't getting any younger.

Let's Roadhouse!!!

Los Angeles
08-13-2008, 01:56 PM
While I will agree that Bruce's success in the early seventies opened the door for the success of Petty and other "heartland" artists (including Indiana's own John Cougar), Petty never directly ripped him off.

Petty is a Birds and a Dillon ripoff, and while he owes Springsteen a debt of gratitude for defining an audience, calling him a Springsteen ripoff is a bit unfair.

[/high horse]

Sollozzo
08-13-2008, 02:08 PM
And I bet Petty would rather consider himself a Dylan ripoff as opposed to a Springsteen one.

Besides, all rock music can pretty much be traced to a single origin (Chuck Berry). It's a long line of someone "ripping" someone else off. I'm sure "the boss" copied off someone a time or too. That's just the way rock is.

ChicagoJ
08-13-2008, 03:56 PM
While I will agree that Bruce's success in the early seventies opened the door for the success of Petty and other "heartland" artists (including Indiana's own John Cougar), Petty never directly ripped him off.

Petty is a Birds and a Dillon ripoff, and while he owes Springsteen a debt of gratitude for defining an audience, calling him a Springsteen ripoff is a bit unfair.

[/high horse]

True. And I like Tom Petty's music. A little hyperbole goes a long way. :D

Tom Petty as a live act cannot hold a candle to Bruce Springsteen Live. I like a number of John Mellencamp songs as well. But John Mellencamp Live is a joke when compared to Springsteen Live.

That was my point - not the songwriting itself. Sorry that it was lost in translation as I understand why you guys posted what you posted.

Springsteen, as a songwriter, was clearly leaning heavily on Dylan, Orbison, and Berry. No denying that. He wasn't original, but his songwriting had an unparelleled authenticity.

spreedom
08-13-2008, 10:16 PM
Tom Petty as a live act cannot hold a candle to Bruce Springsteen Live.

No one can.... I've seen Bruce 7 or 8 times now and I've been even more satisfied every time.

Infinite MAN_force
08-14-2008, 07:24 PM
Big petty fan here, the boss doesen't do it for me. I have heard of the live mythos of springsteen but never seen for myself.

From a purley listening standpoint I think Petty is miles ahead. Pretty good live himself at that (seen him 4 times).

clownskull
08-19-2008, 11:18 AM
Big petty fan here, the boss doesen't do it for me. I have heard of the live mythos of springsteen but never seen for myself.

From a purley listening standpoint I think Petty is miles ahead. Pretty good live himself at that (seen him 4 times).

gotta agree here. i have never understood the big deal about springsteen. i have always liked petty but, springsteen is an artist i have never cared for.
oh well, if he is the halftime show, i will just miss it like i miss all the others.