PDA

View Full Version : Jared Lorenzen Should be Our Starter

naptownmenace
08-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Considering there is a possibility that Peyton may miss the season opener (bursa sac surgeries aren't that easy to come back from and it's possible it'll be a lingering problem), should the Colts seriously look at Lorenzen as the potential starter for the remaining Pre-Season games?

Sorgi can hold a mean clipboard but as a QB he's terrible. His pencil thin frame and lack of pocket instincts are a recipe for disaster. The Colts need a good stop-gap player in the event that Peyton will be out throughout the season and to me, base on the guys we have, Lorenzen is the best option.

He has good size and despite being a porker, he's more mobile than Sorgi. He has good arm strength and he can at least tell when the pocket is about to collasp on him. I thought he played well for the Giants last year when he stepped in after Eli got hurt.

This is not an endorsement for Lozenzen as much as it is a vote of no-confidence in Jim Sorgi. I'd be happy with Quinn Gray too. In fact the Colts should just cut Sorgi right now. He's never been good enough to be a backup in the NFL, let alone a starter.

Sollozzo
08-11-2008, 03:59 PM
You might be on to something, as he looked decent the other night, but I can't even fathom it. The thought of anyone other than Peyton taking the first snap at the house that he built is enough to make me vomit. It's a topic I just cannot think about.

I mean, it sucked last year when Harrison was gone, but not having Peyton in the lineup would be about 1000000000000 times worse.

Trader Joe
08-11-2008, 04:00 PM
Do we really want to start 0-1?

Sollozzo
08-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Do we really want to start 0-1?

There's a strong chance we'll go 0-1 if it's anyone other than Peyton starting. It doesn't matter if it's Sorgi or Lorenzen or me.

Trader Joe
08-11-2008, 04:06 PM
I agree. I'm just saying that unless Peyton can't walk he should try and give it a go. Even if he is just more of a decoy and Addai does the heavy lifting offensively.

Basketball Fan
08-11-2008, 04:08 PM
What do you mean there's a chance Peyton may not start am I missing something?

naptownmenace
08-11-2008, 04:12 PM
I agree. I'm just saying that unless Peyton can't walk he should try and give it a go. Even if he is just more of a decoy and Addai does the heavy lifting offensively.

That's a thought but I'd rather he be 100% healthy rather than hobbled. Plus if he's not completely healthy he's just going to be a further risk of injury.

I'd rather they lose a couple of games at the beginning of the season if Peyton is completely healthy and rested the rest of the season.

In the meantime, I think Lorenzen should be looked at as the potential starter with Quinn next and Sorgi should do what he does best - wear his cap backwards and help select plays from the clipboard.

Sollozzo
08-11-2008, 04:13 PM

If that's the case then god help us. If his only purpose week one is to be a decoy, then it's going to be a long season. If that's the case, I don't see how he could go from decoy in week 1 to being Peyton of Old (which is what we need to beat the Jags) by week 3.

We have a B&%#h of a schedule this year, and we need Manning to be 100% if we want a 6th straight AFC South Title.

Of course, the Colts say he's on schedule, so hopefully he's fully ready for week 1. But after the Harrison debacle last year, the Colts could tell me that the sky is up and I would think that it's down.

naptownmenace
08-11-2008, 04:23 PM
What do you mean there's a chance Peyton may not start am I missing something?

Peyton hasn't even had one single training camp practice yet. That's not a good sign that he'll be ready to lace them up less than a month.

There's no official news, I'm just basing it off of Harrison's injury. Marvin had a ruptured bursa sac, Peyton had an infected one. Both required removing the bursa sac and the bursa sac is not something you want to have removed. We know how long it took Marvin to return to the field (he's still trying to get his timing back). Knee injuries tend to linger too.

The Colts have a target date of August 15th as his return to practice. I'm just bracing for him missing the opener and it wouldn't surprise me if he missed the first 2 games of the season.

Not to scare you guys but...

There have been Manning sightings on the Rose-Hullman campus, but he has mostly kept himself away from the media and the public. The Colts have set an unofficial target date of Aug. 15 for his return. That is when they are scheduled to break camp and return to their training facility in Indianapolis, where Manning has spent the bulk of his time since the surgery.

It's still uncertain exactly how much on-field work he will be able to do before the Sept. 7 season opener against Chicago.

"You don't want anybody to be hurt and you wish nothing bad to happen to anybody, but there's a sense of urgency," Sorgi said. "I mean, right now, the preseason is four more games, but is (Manning) going to be ready by the first (regular-season) game? Is he going to be ready by our bye week, which is Week 4? In my mind, I'm preparing like it's going to be a long-term deal where I'm going to have to play for a long time. Then, if he comes back, I'll go back to doing what I was doing."

Week 4? :eek:

idioteque
08-11-2008, 05:23 PM
I am all about Manning coming back healthy whe he's ready and personally I couldn't care less if we start the season something like 2-3 because honestly we screw up every season where we get off to too quick of a start.

I don't give a **** about a useless AFC South title and I don't give a **** about a first round bye. All I want is a Super Bowl and the only time the Colts won it all there were a few bumps in the road in the regular season, the team came back from that adversity, and turned it on in the playoffs. Years where we've came off of a nearly perfect season we've been rusty at best in the playoffs and quite frankly embarassed ourselves.

It's a damn embarassment to lose THREE straight times in the playoffs with a first round bye (TEN, PIT, AND SD) and I never want to see a Colts team even in that game as the home team ever ever again. Homefield advantage hinders the Colts unless we're playing New England.

When you've got a team like the Colts who are capable of beating almost every time in the league 9/10 times you have the luxury of not going balls to the wall in Week 3.

My early prediction is that the Colts will be something like 2-3 or 3-4 early in the season and the fans will freak the hell out, but we'll improve with Manning in the lineup and win the games that actually matter.

Sollozzo
08-11-2008, 05:35 PM
I am all about Manning coming back healthy whe he's ready and personally I couldn't care less if we start the season something like 2-3 because honestly we screw up every season where we get off to too quick of a start.

When you've got a team like the Colts who are capable of beating almost every time in the league 9/10 times you have the luxury of not going balls to the wall in Week 3.

My early prediction is that the Colts will be something like 2-3 or 3-4 early in the season and the fans will freak the hell out, but we'll improve with Manning in the lineup and win the games that actually matter.

Have you looked at our schedule? If we start out 2-3 there is no way we are going to the playoffs. We would practically have to win out in order to win the division.

After 5 games our schedule is:

@ GB
@ Ten
NE
@ Pit
Hou
@SD
@Cleve
Cin
Det
@Jax.
Ten

To win the division we need to go 13-3, at worst 12-4 (assuming you have the tie breaker over Jax. If we start out 2-3 or 3-4 with that schedule, there is absolutely no way that is happening.

Even if we're healthy on day 1, winning the division this season with that schedule will be harder than winning it in any of the previous 5 years. And if we are healthy, I think we will win it again. But if we start out 2-3, I think you can kiss it good bye with that beast of a schedule.

We need to start out 5-0. Gotta take care of Chicago and Minnesota, then beat Jacksonville at home, and then take care of Houston and Baltimore before we go up to Green Bay.

Trader Joe
08-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Yep, I agree with Adam on this, if Peyton isn't ready to go within the first five weeks we are in trouble.

We should have signed Pennington if this is the case. He's no world beater, but he's miles better than anything else we have and he's more than capable of winning games with the talent that would surround him.

Basketball Fan
08-12-2008, 12:39 AM
Peyton hasn't even had one single training camp practice yet. That's not a good sign that he'll be ready to lace them up less than a month.

There's no official news, I'm just basing it off of Harrison's injury. Marvin had a ruptured bursa sac, Peyton had an infected one. Both required removing the bursa sac and the bursa sac is not something you want to have removed. We know how long it took Marvin to return to the field (he's still trying to get his timing back). Knee injuries tend to linger too.

The Colts have a target date of August 15th as his return to practice. I'm just bracing for him missing the opener and it wouldn't surprise me if he missed the first 2 games of the season.

Not to scare you guys but...

Week 4? :eek:

Marvin had structural damage, Peyton had an infection there's a difference.

And we have 3 more preseason games not four.

I rather have Lorenzen as our backup after that Carolina game but until then I'm not going to worry about it. Luckily this isn't a major story because of Favre.

TheDon
08-12-2008, 11:28 AM
I remember watching some report when it was big news about peytons knee that it was reported he had a problem with his other knee back in his first year or two at tennessee. I think he'll heal up and come back just as well even without coming to practice and taking snaps and going through the routine you have to believe he's watching all sorts of tapes and getting as much information as he can on the upcoming season.

naptownmenace
08-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Marvin had structural damage, Peyton had an infection there's a difference.

They both had to have the bursa sac removed so the injuries and recovery time for Manning could be comparable.

Marvin had structural damage in his left knee. The bursitis was in his right knee - I was only comparing this injury. But you've got a point, Marvin's coming back from 2 different knee injuries which is probably why it took longer for him to return.

The good news is that he should be able to return from this injury and play at a high level if he's fully healed but I'm not expecting him to be ready to go before game 3.

Until then... Lorenzen should get a long look as the interim starter.

Sollozzo
08-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Yep, I agree with Adam on this, if Peyton isn't ready to go within the first five weeks we are in trouble.

We should have signed Pennington if this is the case. He's no world beater, but he's miles better than anything else we have and he's more than capable of winning games with the talent that would surround him.

But why in the world would Pennington want to come here for a 3 game gig (which would be the absolute most games he'd play).

In Miami, he has a strong chance to be the starter all year, but if he came here it would be inevitable that he would be going back to the bench the moment that Peyton was healed. That's not the ideal situation for him nor the Colts.'

No good quarterback is ever going to come here because it's a 100% certainty that you're going to ride the pine all season. That's why Sorgi is the best we can do. If I'm Pennington, I'd much rather want to go to Miami and have a chance to start all season while reviving my career than be a 3 game rental in Indy. And if I'm the Colts, I'm not going to shell out 11.5 mil (which is what Mia gave him for 2 years) just so he can be a 3 game rental. If Manning can't play at the start of the year, we're just going to be stuck with what we have for those first 3 games or however long it takes him to get back. Hopefully that doesn't happen, but that's a risk you take when you put all of your eggs in one basket like the Colts do with Peyton (which I support 100%).

Moses
08-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Have you looked at our schedule? If we start out 2-3 there is no way we are going to the playoffs. We would practically have to win out in order to win the division.

After 5 games our schedule is:

@ GB
@ Ten
NE
@ Pit
Hou
@SD
@Cleve
Cin
Det
@Jax.
Ten

To win the division we need to go 13-3, at worst 12-4 (assuming you have the tie breaker over Jax. If we start out 2-3 or 3-4 with that schedule, there is absolutely no way that is happening.

Even if we're healthy on day 1, winning the division this season with that schedule will be harder than winning it in any of the previous 5 years. And if we are healthy, I think we will win it again. But if we start out 2-3, I think you can kiss it good bye with that beast of a schedule.

We need to start out 5-0. Gotta take care of Chicago and Minnesota, then beat Jacksonville at home, and then take care of Houston and Baltimore before we go up to Green Bay.
Wow, that is a nasty schedule!

Without Peyton, you will not beat Minnesota, Jacksonville, or Houston. That is just my guess. I wouldn't worry though, Peyton will be back for the season opener.

SoupIsGood
08-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Yeah, if we have a losing record after the first five games, then we're not making the playoffs. Going 7-4 / 8-3 for that last stretch would probably be what we should hope for.

Suaveness
08-12-2008, 12:45 PM
We aren't going to have a losing record after 5 weeks

Sollozzo
08-12-2008, 12:46 PM
We aren't going to have a losing record after 5 weeks

If Manning plays we won't. If he plays, then we go 5-0.

But if he isn't able to play at the beginning.......

Jonathan
08-12-2008, 12:53 PM
The season starts in a month against the BEARS. I do not care if we have a losing record for the first five weeks of the season. I want our team to be on a role come playoff time. I am sick of winning in Sept; only to lose in January. Remember the Chargers last year!!

Sollozzo
08-12-2008, 01:07 PM
The season starts in a month against the BEARS. I do not care if we have a losing record for the first five weeks of the season. I want our team to be on a role come playoff time. I am sick of winning in Sept; only to lose in January. Remember the Chargers last year!!

Dude, have you not looked at our schedule?

Tell me how we can have a losing record after 5 games and still get into the playoffs with that schedule.

No, I don't think that will happen. I think Peyton will be fine and that we'll be the same Colts we always are. But with surgery like that, anything is possible. All I'm trying to say is, we need a healthy Peyton from day 1 if we want a 6th straight South title.

esabyrn333
08-12-2008, 01:22 PM
I think everyone needs to remember not to take to much from the pre-season. We never play very well this time of year.

Come week one with or without Payton behind center we will still have one of the best defences in the league that specializes in extreamly hard hits and forcing turnovers. To go along with this D we will have one of the best running attacks in the NFL.

This alone will get us through the start of the season. But thats not it we also have Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Dallas Clark and a young Anthony Gonzalez that is coming into his own paired with one of the best O-lines in the league.

Lorenzen or Sorgi we would be fine. But the fact of the matter is Payton is the smartest, hardest working QB ever to grace the football field. As soon as he gets the go ahead he will be ready.

Everyone should breath and except the fact that this team is stacked and ready to reclaim there place at the top of NFL.

2minutes twowa
08-12-2008, 01:52 PM

This statement tells me he will be back and healthy. Polian would have gotten someone more of a longterm solution if he thought Payton would miss significant time. There's no reason to worry until he doesn't get back for the preseason game August 24th.

SoupIsGood
08-12-2008, 02:00 PM
I like our running game, but I wouldn't call it one of the best in the league. Not yet anyway. Maybe it improves w/ our newfound RB depth and less O-line injuries. And while our defense is nice, I think we saw last year that it's only something special when we've got a healthy Freeney. We'll see--if everyone is healthy (Peyton, Dwight, Marvin) this could be a special year for the Colts.

Since86
08-12-2008, 02:37 PM
You can't compare Marvin's injury with Peyton.

First off, there are two completely different stresses put on the knee. Second, we don't know which bursa sac was injured in both players. You have many bursa sacs, especially in the knee. A bursa sac keeps the ligaments from rubbing on the bone. Think of it like a jelled sac that is under a band. When your joint moves, it moves the ligament as well.

The way Marvin uses his knees and the way Peyton do just aren't comparable, and neither is the stress levels.

You can't say, "Well, it took Marvin this long so it should take Peyton this long." It just doesn't work that way, not only this this injury, or these two different players, it's like that for any injury.

Each person's body responds differently even if they occured the exact same injury, and all the other variables were the same like size, and the way they moved their body. Or I guess would be a better way is if the same person had the exact same injury twice, it would heal differently each time, and not necessarily slower the second time.

I'm in no way, shape, or form a doctore and trying to diagnose Peyton. He could very well be out beyond openning night. I'm just saying you can't use Marvin as a measuring stick.

D-BONE
08-12-2008, 04:51 PM
I say keep giving Lorenzen plenty of PT through the preseason and see how he does. If he continues to play well and Peyton doesn't get back, then I'd give him a shot to start in the interim. Otherwise, Sorgi it would be.

First off, I obviously hope/expect Manning to be back. Second, I've never liked Sorgi. However, the protection against Carolina was awful and IIRC that was starting to show in the latter portion of last year, too. So unless the group gets it act together, it will be tough going for whoever's back there.

Defensively, I'm still concerned about our D-line depth and our personnel inside. Hope injuries to key players there are minimal (IOW Freeney), previous injury recovery quick, and young guys come together.

Schedule appears brutal. Unimpressive preseason not a historic cause for concern. Can't wait for opening day.

jeffg-body
08-14-2008, 11:27 PM
I myself would stick with Sorgi. I would also even prefer Quinn Gray before Lorenzen. Peyton will be back and fine though so discussing this is almost mute.

naptownmenace
08-18-2008, 06:42 PM
Peyton still hasn't practice and may miss game 1 according to CNN Sports.

http://bb.zoomtown.com/news/read.php?ps=3304&rip_id=c61aaf609cde7a57baa6fe122567ef5e&_LT=HOME_LARSDCCLM_UNEWS

CNN - Peyton Manning may not play in Week 1
Monday, August 18, 2008 5:35 PM EDT

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. -- As the Indianapolis Colts training camp wound down to its final few days last week, Peyton Manning was an apparition. He was the ghost of Peyton Manning.

The team said he was in Terre Haute, site of Rose-Hulman Institute, where camp was held, but beat man Mike Chappell of the Indianapolis Star said he saw Manning but once, on a golf cart one day. "I can confirm that Peyton still has all his limbs,'' Chappell revealed.

Manning wasn't going to practice that day. Rather, he has spent much of the summer getting treatment for his recovering left knee on his own -- somewhere -- and, from what I hear, has been absolutely wearing out the physical therapist, trying to get more and better flexion in the area of his surgically repaired knee.

Manning had the infected bursa sac near his left knee removed July 14, and he hasn't practiced in the five weeks since. It is one of the cloudiest injuries in sports. I am writing about it because I think there's a chance -- oh, maybe a 30, 35 percent chance if I had to guess -- that the removal of the infected bursa sac could prevent Manning from playing in the Colts' opening game against Chicago on Sept. 7. Would I bet on it? Not a chance.

Manning has started every game in his 10-year career -- 160 in the regular season and 14 in the playoffs, second in NFL ironman-quarterback history to Brett Favre -- and the Indy QB told me a couple of years ago consecutive games mean a tremendous amount to him. In fact, when I suggested to Colts center and Manning confidant Jeff Saturday that there was a chance Manning might miss the opener, he started laughing. "Peyton?'' he said. "Are you kidding? He'll be playing. It'd take a broken leg to keep him out.''

The bursa sac isn't that. Rather, it's a small sac of fluid beneath the kneecap that cushions and lubricates the knee when it moves. When Manning was at the Manning Passing Camp in Louisiana sometime between July 10-13, he began feeling feverish. "A raging fever,'' is what club president Bill Polian called it. Manning returned to Indianapolis, had the fever traced to an infection in the bursa sac, and had the little pillow of fluid removed at an Indianapolis hospital on the 14th.

"This was not an injury,'' Polian told me. "This was an illness. It was an infection. Fluid in the bursa sac got infected. But there is absolutely nothing mechanically wrong within the knee.''

That's right -- except, according to WebMD.com, the knee needs this sac to keep the areas around the bones lubricated. Not that the removal of the sac injures the knee per se, but it takes away part of the liquid that keeps the knee lubricated. Removal of the sac exposes the knee to more bone-on-bone friction than if the bursa sac had not been removed.

After surgery, the knee was immobilized -- for two weeks, I was told -- and the infection treated with antibiotics to be sure it was totally eradicated from Manning's system. "Then the incision had to heal,'' said Polian. "That's fine now. Now he begins -- he's begun -- range-of-motion exercises. He's in that process now. Now he's at the point where Mother Nature has to take over. He's close to optimum range of motion now. He's on schedule, with no bumps in the road.''

At the time of the injury, it was announced as a four-to-six-week injury. Today is the five-week anniversary of the surgery, and Manning practicing is not imminent. If we get a week from today and Manning hasn't practiced, I'd say that's a bump in the road.

Here's the big problem, as I see it. Polian says the doctors are not going to clear Manning unless they're sure he can maneuver in the pocket and has the leg strength to play an NFL game. Now, if Manning spent the second half of July (or more) with the leg immobilized, with a little longer to wait before normal activity could be resumed, the resulting muscle atrophy would take a while to get over. Thus, as of Sunday, Manning was working hard to make sure he get could full range of motion and normal flexion in the knee.

I asked Tony Dungy about Manning, and he said: "I had mono my second year with the Steelers [as a player], and until those blood tests came back normal, they weren't going to let me back out on the field. Even though I felt good, I had to do what the doctors said. Same thing here. We will do what the doctors say with Peyton. We are going to be cautious. When he comes back, whether it be Week 4 or 5 of the preseason, or Week 1 or 2 of the regular season, we don't know yet. But we'll be sure to bring him back healthy.''

So, I asked, are you saying it's possible he wouldn't be ready for the opener?

"It could be,'' he said. "Because we're not going to bring him back too fast.''

Dungy said he doesn't anticipate Manning missing the opener. But how would he know? He hasn't seen Manning practice.

"He's been able to exercise his arm,'' Polian said. "Even when he was bedridden at the beginning after surgery, he was throwing the ball. But it's been tough on him. He watches practice tapes, reads the practice scripts. In due time, this too shall pass. But like I told him, 'Let's be sure when you come back, you come back for the rest of the year.'"

The separation from the team, said good buddy Saturday, "is killing Manning. He's the ultimate competitor. He's one guy who just loves to prepare, and not being out here is just killing him.''

Everyone here says all the right things about Jim Sorgi. He's been preparing for this for five years, and he's learned under Manning and coordinator Tom Moore, and he knows what to do, and the players believe in him and all that. But let's be real. He's a one-year college starter. He's never started an NFL game. In six series commanding the team in its first three preseason games, Sorgi has led zero touchdown drives. The Bears are coming to town for the season opener, and they'll try to blitz Sorgi out of Lucas Oil Stadium.

No, it's not an ideal situation for these Colts. They have to do the right thing and make sure Manning heals properly. But they'll be challenged severely by the Jaguars this year; it won't be a sixth consecutive division-title cakewalk. Every game's always important, but maybe even more so this year, with so many vital players -- Manning, Dwight Freeney, Bob Sanders, Marvin Harrison -- being injury questions opening the season.

I got this feeling here that if Manning isn't ready, the Colts really won't play him opening night. But I'll tell you this: I'd hate to be the doctor or the coach or the club president who tells Peyton he's not playing opening night in his new stadium, and his 174-consecutive-start streak is going by the boards. Manning will flip. My guess is he'll move heaven and earth to be out on the practice field next week, so he can show the Colts enough in five or six practices to start Sept. 7.

Sollozzo
08-18-2008, 07:28 PM
Damn, I'm starting to think it's 60/40.

clownskull
08-20-2008, 12:56 AM
well, this kind of seems like the old catch-22 as to whether to hope peyton gets back or waits until he's really healthy.
i for one am not comfortable with the idea of throwing our franchise player out there when he really has no business out there because now he could get REALLY hurt and definately miss the rest of the year. i think we can still remember how playing our highest paid guy when he wasn't ready or fit to play worked for the pacers. do we really want that?
i don't.

Jonathan
08-20-2008, 10:07 AM
I am done worrying about Colts Football in Sept. We have went two Sept w/o a loss. Keep in mind the Chargers went 0-4 and beat us in the playoffs last year. I am more worried about our lack of a Run Stopper on the D Line. I like Johnson & Dawson but our D cannot win in the playoffs giving up 4 yards every first down due to the ball being ran down our throats. Do you think that Johnson/Dawson can develop into run stoppers or should we check the wavier wire and look elsewhere? Remember how great of an addition Booger was.

idioteque
08-20-2008, 10:35 AM
That's right -- except, according to WebMD.com, the knee needs this sac to keep the areas around the bones lubricated. Not that the removal of the sac injures the knee per se, but it takes away part of the liquid that keeps the knee lubricated. Removal of the sac exposes the knee to more bone-on-bone friction than if the bursa sac had not been removed.

That may be the worst news in Colts football history.

Sollozzo
08-20-2008, 08:14 PM
I am done worrying about Colts Football in Sept. We have went two Sept w/o a loss. Keep in mind the Chargers went 0-4 and beat us in the playoffs last year. I am more worried about our lack of a Run Stopper on the D Line. I like Johnson & Dawson but our D cannot win in the playoffs giving up 4 yards every first down due to the ball being ran down our throats. Do you think that Johnson/Dawson can develop into run stoppers or should we check the wavier wire and look elsewhere? Remember how great of an addition Booger was.

We have to have a great September if we want to sniff a 6th straight AFC south title.

Trader Joe
08-20-2008, 08:29 PM
It's gonna look really bad if we don't win the division this year of all years. Peyton must play.

ABADays
08-20-2008, 10:49 PM
Hmmm - Lorenzen our QB with Booger MacFarland and Warren Sapp in the backfield. I like that.

denyfizle
08-20-2008, 11:41 PM
not sold on the guy yet really. I'd still take Sorgi over him to be honest just cause of Sorgi's familiarity with the team. i just keep getting these visions that if Lorenzen starts for us, he'd throw 2 INTs cause of the pressure and unfamiliarity right away then get pulled out. I'd rather Sorgi do that then we can replace him with Lorenzen. But Peyton will play so it shouldn't even matter.

Moses
08-22-2008, 04:34 PM
The Colts are reportedly unable to control the swelling in Peyton Manning's surgically repaired knee, and whenever Manning goes through extensive movement more swelling results.
The National Football Post's Mike Lombardi, who also writes for SI.com, calls this a "HUGE concern long-term and short-term" and that when Manning is hit, more swelling is inevitable. Lombardi says he was initially convinced Manning would be back for Week 1, but now has doubts. Practicing next week would be encouraging, assuming Manning can keep going.
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1493

I'd take that with a grain of salt as he is the only one who is reporting that thus far, but I agree that in the event that Peyton can't go in week 1 that Lorenzen should definitely be your starter. Sorgi is to the Colts as Cassel is to the Pats..both are terrible backups for great QBs.

Trader Joe
08-22-2008, 05:04 PM
We should trade for someone. We should have signed Pennington.

Sollozzo
08-22-2008, 05:20 PM
We should trade for someone. We should have signed Pennington.

But why would Pennington come here? Why go to a place where it's inevitable that you will be heading to the bench sooner than later? At best (for him), he would be starting just a couple games here. That's not the ideal scenario if you are a skilled quarterback that can start the whole season somewhere else. And that's exactly what he's doing in Miami-he's going to be their starter. There is absolutely no way that Pennington would want to come here to ride the pine.

Besides, there is no way the Colts would have paid him 11.5 mil over 2 years (which is what the fins are playing him). They pay Sorgi like 850,000 a year.

When you have a player as great as Manning you are kind of putting all of your eggs in one basket. Him going down is a risk that we unfortunately have to take. We don't have the money to pay someone like Pennington millions a year to just start a couple of games. Besides, any competitor that has a reasonable chance to start isn't going to come where their job is inevitably going to be holding Manning's clip board.

Trader Joe
08-22-2008, 05:21 PM
But why would Pennington come here? Why go to a place where it's inevitable that you will be heading to the bench sooner than later? At best (for him), he would be starting just a couple games here. That's not the ideal scenario if you are a skilled quarterback that can start the whole season somewhere else. And that's exactly what he's doing in Miami-he's going to be their starter. There is absolutely no way that Pennington would want to come here to ride the pine.

Besides, there is no way the Colts would have paid him 11.5 mil over 2 years (which is what the fins are playing him). They pay Sorgi like 850,000 a year.

When you have a player as great as Manning you are kind of putting all of your eggs in one basket. Him going down is a risk that we unfortunately have to take. We don't have the money to pay someone like Pennington millions a year to just start a couple of games. Besides, any competitor that has a reasonable chance to start isn't going to come where their job is inevitably going to be holding Manning's clip board.

Yeah, and you get what you pay for.

Isn't Daunte Culpepper available? I'm sure he'd be happy just having a job.

Sollozzo
08-22-2008, 05:25 PM

Yeah, and that's all they can afford. Why in the world pay someone millions of dollars a year to hold a clip board? Manning has played every game in his career up to this point, so that would be completely foolish. There are plenty of more important needs on this team than backup quarterback, so I don't think we could afford that. Manning playing every game is one of the risks we take, and for 10 years it's worked perfectly. We've been able to spend money in far more important places than backup QB. If you pay a backup QB a few mil a year, then that takes away from something far more important.

Moses
08-22-2008, 06:03 PM

Don't think Fumblepepper will ever make a recovery in the NFL. It's become apparent that a combination of Randy Moss and his mobility are what made him a great QB. You take both of those away, and you have a guy who can't even start over Cleo Lemon.

naptownmenace
08-25-2008, 11:46 AM
After the game last night, what's everyone's thoughts on who our starter should be if Peyton can't go on the 7th?

Out of what we have I still think Lorenzen should get the nod. Not that I'm happy about it but it's too difficult to look for another replacement option this late in the preseason.

idioteque
08-25-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm still not worried about an AFC South Title. Why would I be? I don't want any more silly embarrassing divisional title banners for one thing! With the Colts all I really care about is having late season momentum and making the playoffs. There are plenty of years where we've won the AFC South Title by a lot of games but come into the playoffs flat and gotten beat in the divisional game. I am tired of that **** and don't want it to happen again. Of course there are lots of Colts fans with selective memories and think that September will make or break or season, forgetting that San Diego, the team that spanked us in the divisional game last year, started the season 0-4 last year. Of course I would welcome an AFC South title, but football is a here and now sport and as we've seen before not even winning your first 13 or even 17 games guarantees anything when the playoffs or the Super Bowl come around.

But if the Colts are 0-4 this year, watch for the fickle Indianapolis fans to run away fast. If the games weren't already sold out, I wouldn't be surprised to see a black out. I love the Colts but sometimes I have low opinions on a majority of their fans.

We just need to be patient this year and hope for enough wins to get in the playoffs and late season momentum to carry us to another Super Bowl. Really right now I am having a hard time even hoping for a Super Bowl birth with our **** poor offensive line play at the end of last season and the preseason. It's so frustrating to watch. We could have Peyton Manning, Jim Sorgi, or Joe Montana back there and they would struggle behind those paper tigers.

As for the schedule argument, the Colts can beat absolutely anybody in the league 9/10 times if we're playing our best, except for New England where I think at our best we would probably only beat them every other time. Really I'm not worried about the schedule at all. The NFL season is a distance race, not a sprint. By the time Week 16 is over you just need to be in that first group of runners, because the guy at the very front is most likely going to run out of gas before it's all over. Ya'll keep worrying about regular season achievements and I'll worry about the playoffs.

SoupIsGood
08-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Judging by what I saw last night I'm not too impressed with either the O or D lines. Our DT rotation this year worries me.

I still say we're not making the playoffs if we start 0-4.

duke dynamite
08-25-2008, 09:37 PM
I still think Lorenzen should be cut. Him and Gray. I was disgusted on what I saw last night.

D-BONE
08-26-2008, 03:16 AM
Neither Lorenzen nor Gray looked good. Gray looked awful taking into account all the INTs. I recall that being his achilles heel in his injury replacement stint with the Jags. I also think he got lucky on the deep ball, which the DB misplayed.

Lorenzen got no protection the first couple series and then in the 2nd quarter when he did finally make some connections there were two Dallas Clark drops. However, he certianly looked far from good. I continue to be surprised by his mobility/elusiveness.

Anybody but Manning and we are in deep trouble. I don't like Sorgi much, Gray at all, Lorenzen very little. And the starting OL, whoever has composed it from late last season through this preseason, looks weak protecting. I undertand the preseason history, but I'm still concerned, especially about the OL.

Jonathan
08-26-2008, 09:47 AM
The season is not won in weeks one-four. Guys have to come in and play. Our special teams has really improved. I liked the play of Jamie Silva (the long haired hippy) on Sunday. J-Load played average to below average. Look at the first play of the game. Boom he is on his back. He does not force the situation ie he will take a sack over an interception that is the difference b/t him & Gray.

naptownmenace
08-28-2008, 01:39 PM
The season is not won in weeks one-four. Guys have to come in and play. Our special teams has really improved. I liked the play of Jamie Silva (the long haired hippy) on Sunday. J-Load played average to below average. Look at the first play of the game. Boom he is on his back. He does not force the situation ie he will take a sack over an interception that is the difference b/t him & Gray.

Yeah, he's not a world-beater or anything special but that play you described was due to a blown blocking coverage. The defender came right up the gut practically untouched.

I have a feeling J-Load will survive the preseason and stick with the Colts as a back up this year. One thing I overlooked is that he was his brother Eli's back up in NY last year so Peyton might be comfortable with him being his back up.

Eindar
08-31-2008, 11:42 PM
Tough call. I think everyone knew and accepted that if Peyton can't play, that it's going to be below .500 ball until he returns, right? It's not like either guy will make a huge impact on the win/loss record over the other, so just plug in the best game manager and hope Manning comes back in good form.