PDA

View Full Version : More shocking news out of NBA

indygeezer
06-16-2004, 07:21 AM
Voice of Knicks, Albert Is Leaving MSG Network
By RICHARD SANDOMIR

Published: June 16, 2004

arv Albert, the voice of the Knicks for 35 years on radio and television, is leaving the MSG Network, largely over his candid and sometimes critical approach to calling the team's games, according to a person involved in the negotiations for a contract extension.

"We weren't able to come to an agreement, and I felt it was time to go in a different direction," Albert said by telephone from Los Angeles. He said that he would still call N.B.A. games on TNT and "Monday Night Football'' on radio on Westwood One, but that he wanted to find another full-time job.

He added that "it stopped being enjoyable for me" on MSG, "and I decided to move on."

MSG saluted him for being one of the "pre-eminent play-by-play telecasters of his generation" in a statement and said, "The timing of his departure is right for Marv and thus it is right for the network."

Albert, 63, refused to comment on the reasons for his leaving or on his relationship with executives at MSG or its parent company, Cablevision.

Albert, known for his trademark "Yes!" call, has had some contact with the YES Network, where Ian Eagle still has one year remaining on his contract to call Nets games.

Because of his commitment to calling N.B.A. games on TNT, he has been calling about 50 Knicks games a season on MSG.

Albert's informed play-by-play approach and sardonic style became synonymous with Knicks basketball starting in the late 1960's, then familiar to viewers nationally with NBC Sports for 12 seasons, and now, TNT.

Albert always maintained his local base, building it first on radio, memorably calling the Knicks' 1970 championship, and continuing through the team's recent losing seasons. He was also the radio voice of the Rangers for 32 years.

Albert did not restrain himself from being honest about substandard play, and that rankled James L. Dolan, the chairman of Madison Square Garden and the president of Cablevision, said the person involved in the negotiations.

His style on TNT - a more objective one that invited criticism - became indistinguishable from how he called MSG games. More and more this past season, the person said, he was told to be less critical of a somewhat improved Knicks team with a new coach, Lenny Wilkens.

The departure of Albert means the loss of another identifiable asset at the Garden. After the 2001 season, the Yankees left MSG to create the YES Network, and earlier this month the Mets paid Cablevision $54 million to be released from their contract with MSG and Fox Sports Net to carry their games after next season.

If the Mets do not work out a new deal with Cablevision - and start their own network or strike a deal with YES - MSG and FSN will have no major league summer programming.

Albert left MSG once before, resigning in 1997 after he pleaded guilty to a charge of misdemeanor assault against a former girlfriend. He was rehired less than a year later to call Knicks games on radio and to be the host of "MSG SportsDesk." Eventually, he also returned to NBC Sports, which had dismissed him, and was later hired by TNT.
_______

Gee maybe he'd like to take MArk PAtrick's place, then he and his brother could work in the same town.

Roaming Gnome
06-16-2004, 07:33 AM
Jerry Baker, anyone?

Sounds like it to me for being too critical on the team.

fwpacerfan
06-16-2004, 09:03 AM
This sounds like an Isiah Thomas move if I've ever seen one.

MSA2CF
06-16-2004, 09:23 AM
Wouldn't it be wild if Marv came to Indy to do our games? :D

BillS
06-16-2004, 09:32 AM
Wouldn't it be wild if Marv came to Indy to do our games? :D
Gee, you mean we wouldn't have to hear "He flicks the wrist" any more? What a shame... :rolleyes:

DisplacedKnick
06-16-2004, 09:33 AM
That's disgusting.

We need homer announcers. I'd rather have him call the team out for crappy play.

Not sure how the Knicks were improved this year either. They won a whopping two more games in a conf that, top to bottom (basically everyone but the top 4 teams) was crap.

I guess Marv needs to start taking lessons from his brother.

ChicagoJ
06-16-2004, 11:00 AM
I certainly wouldn't complain if Marv wound up with the Pacers.

Artestaholic
06-16-2004, 11:23 AM
Marv & Al Albert together would just be way too much Albert. Maybe we could just trade Albert's for a year and see how it works out?

ChicagoJ
06-16-2004, 11:25 AM
Marv & Al Albert together would just be way too much Albert. Maybe we could just trade Albert's for a year and see how it works out?

:devil:

Kegboy
06-16-2004, 12:12 PM
This sounds like an Isiah Thomas move if I've ever seen one.

:rolleyes: :banghead:

Hicks
06-16-2004, 12:56 PM
This is a mistake for NY IMO.