PDA

View Full Version : Home theater system trouble... help!!!

pwee31
07-31-2008, 11:18 PM
I just got an RCA RTD315 and only the front L/R speakers and subwoofer will play properly? The test tone only does a test on those 3 as well? If I plug one of the other speakers into one of those 3 slots... they work fine.
I noticed on the dvd player itself, it has the Dolby/Surround symbol with a 2CH next to it. I can see the 5CH under it, but it will not let me change it? If I go into info on the remote, it just skips that option and I can't change from 2CH?
What is going on?

Bball
08-01-2008, 12:07 AM
I'm not actually familiar with this particular unit. I'm going to ASSUME it is a "Home Theater in a Box" type setup with a receiver and DVD player all in one?

If so (well, this could apply to a stand alone DVD player as well)- I'd get into the "setup" menu (or "system" or "system setup" or similar) and look for an "audio" or "digital audio" setting. It could have a couple of options like LPCM or Bitstream (or others). If you have those, try the "Bitstream" setting. If you have only two but with different names, then just try the other option. Otherwise, look for a "digital" setting, a "DD" setting, a "5.1" settting or something of that nature

I'm not sold that this is your problem because you say the test tone is only doing 3 speakers. ...And I'm assuming (again, with the assuming on my part! ;)) you mean the unit itself has a test tone option (and not that you're using a setup DVD of some kind with tones).

Then again, if the internal DVD player is not setup in the soft menu for a DD5.1 output then maybe the RCA is smart enough not to send tones to the other speakers.

Why would it do that you ask? .... Because maybe they allowed for the option for someone without the space for the extra speakers who might still want to use it in a more traditional 'stereo' (with sub) style and so it gives you that option (and is smart enough not to attempt the unneeded tones in this mode).

If you have a link to this unit or a manual I might be of more help... I'm just working off some semi-educated guesses.

Bball
08-01-2008, 12:09 AM
IF you have a separate DVD player and receiver then you HAVE to be connected via a digital connection for DD5.1 or higher to work. You cannot just use the regular old RCA (red and white typically) connectors. That would only net you the L-R/Sub situation you have now.

pwee31
08-01-2008, 10:52 PM
I tried using HDMI cables and the whole shabazz, I finally got the 5.1 to play, but only while a dvd was playing, and I only got the background music clearly. All the other speakers were silent

Yeah it was a theater in a box, nothing to fancy, just wanted to enhance the sound some.

I'll be taking it back

Naptown_Seth
08-02-2008, 05:03 PM
If you swap speakers and the other ones play then obviously the speaker (or wire depending on if you swapped that too) is bad.

Before going back I'd see if the "dead" speakers worked on the back channels. If not then the system is fine and your speakers are bad. If it's a HTIB then swap the whole thing. If it's separates then obviously you need new speakers.

One other thing with speakers and these setups, be careful to check for A/B situations because most decent receivers let you have 2 sets of front speakers. The reason typically is to have your HOME THEATER speakers/audio setup and a 2nd set of front only stereo speakers for AUDIO.

Many audiophiles are a bit uptight about using the HT speakers as music sources and vice versa. Boominess and other aspects that sound good with film aren't so hot with music. So they have 2 sets of fronts that they toggle for music or movie situations.

It's easy to hit the A/B button and turn off speakers that are hooked up fine.

Also a lot of receivers use the 2nd (or more) speaker outputs for multi-room situations so you can drive music in other parts of the house.

DD 2.0 symbol. Keep in mind that a lot of menus aren't even doing 5.1. You're only going to see a 5.1 symbol when the receivers encoder detects a digital stream with 5.1 on it (DD or DTS).

And as BBall was saying, a lot of DVD players have the flexibility to downconvert to stereo (ProLogic) for people without 5.1 setups. And DTS streams going to systems that can't deal with DTS also cause problems so that's often a feature that can be disabled and defaults to that out of the box.

That's why you go verify what your player plans to do with DD/DTS streams before taking on the headache of moving speakers, etc. :)

I've been burned by forgetting this in the past.

pwee31
08-03-2008, 06:14 PM
I took one hdmi from the cable box to the tv, and the other hdmi from the dvd theatre system to the other hdmi tv slot and then use audio cables from the cable box to the dvd receiver.

So I good to go. Of course I only get surround effects during 5.1 features, but it's cool.

Thanks for the help fellas

Spicoli
08-04-2008, 08:44 AM
I took one hdmi from the cable box to the tv, and the other hdmi from the dvd theatre system to the other hdmi tv slot and then use audio cables from the cable box to the dvd receiver.

So I good to go. Of course I only get surround effects during 5.1 features, but it's cool.

Thanks for the help fellas

Your receiver should have some settings to mix 2 channel sources up to 5.1; look for some settings like "advanced surround" or something similar.