PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360/Sports games roster question

rexnom
07-29-2008, 09:51 AM
Does anyone know whether you can download roster updates from xbox live for the various sports games? If so, what versions does it start with? I am primarily concerned with NBA games. Thanks, guys.

Kstat
07-29-2008, 10:02 AM
I have the mother of all NBA 2K8 roster download sources, but you need an Xchange kit to use them.

http://2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177886

THey also have classic rosters dating back to 1983.

duke dynamite
07-29-2008, 01:30 PM
EA is good with roster updates. You just have to go into an online game to download them. After downloading, you can quit the game before it starts without any penalties.

MLB 2K8 I found is really hard to update rosters. At least I haven't found a way to do so yet...

Robertmto
07-29-2008, 04:25 PM
EA Games are really easy to do it, and you can even get named rosters for College games. And with NBA 2K8, yes u will need an exchange kit. However, for 09 you will not, and u can just download them from your 360

rexnom
07-29-2008, 09:02 PM
EA Games are really easy to do it, and you can even get named rosters for College games. And with NBA 2K8, yes u will need an exchange kit. However, for 09 you will not, and u can just download them from your 360
Is it free? Do I need a gold subscription? How far back in the series do the roster updates go? (For EA games)

duke dynamite
07-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Is it free? Do I need a gold subscription? How far back in the series do the roster updates go? (For EA games)

With EA's system, you need an Xbox Live Gold account. Like I said before, you basically start an online game, but you only go as far as the team select screen and then it tells you that you cannot continue unless you download the latest rosters. Then you can cancel the game without penalty and play an offline game or season with your new rosters.

2k, you need to buy that transfer cable.
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/console/datamigration.htm

All in all, you will be spending some money in this situation.

As for dates, you get roster updates which are "current". Most servers go offline 30 days after that particular sport's season ends. It never lets you download rosters from an earlier time, say before a large trade happens unless they haven't updated to that time yet.

For the 2009 iterations of the games, I am not sure if you need an Xbox Live Gold account or not to at least download rosters. Usually for most Downloadable Content in games they do not require pay accounts, but it wouldn't hurt to pick up a pre-paid Xbox Live Gold card for one month at $7.99 just so you can get current rosters and maybe play online a little.

For me, it is worthless to have an Xbox 360 and not have an Xbox Live Gold account. (That is because I play a lot of Halo 3 and I need roster updates from EA for Madden and NBA Live.) I always get my 12+1 month Xbox Live Gold pre-paid cards from eBay (http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=Xbox+Live+Gold+12%2B1&_sacat=See-All-Categories) about 15-20 dollars less than you could get at a retailer.

rexnom
07-29-2008, 11:21 PM
All I use my XBox for is multiplayer games with my friends, Rock Band, some single player shooters and GTA IV.

GO!!!!!
07-30-2008, 12:50 AM
So when download rosters for NBA LIVE, it automatically saves them as default and over rights your originals or do you have to save them to a saved roster file ?

Thanks for the link Kstat...

I’ll get myself a Transfer Kit ..

Errr, just been having a read of the Hard Drive Transfer Kit.... sounds more complicated and permanent then I had hoped

Am I missing something?

Some more easy references regarding the 2K Roster transfers would be great...

Dammit, being a newb to the consoles has it’s limitations

just found this link

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/espn-nfl-2k5-rosters/248882-free-way-get-updated-rosters-xbox-360-a.html

Will call Microsoft Aus tom and see what happends...

duke dynamite
07-30-2008, 10:28 AM
So when download rosters for NBA LIVE, it automatically saves them as default and over rights your originals or do you have to save them to a saved roster file ?

Thanks for the link Kstat...

Iíll get myself a Transfer Kit ..

Errr, just been having a read of the Hard Drive Transfer Kit.... sounds more complicated and permanent then I had hoped

Am I missing something?

Some more easy references regarding the 2K Roster transfers would be great...

Dammit, being a newb to the consoles has itís limitations

just found this link

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/espn-nfl-2k5-rosters/248882-free-way-get-updated-rosters-xbox-360-a.html

Will call Microsoft Aus tom and see what happends...

With EA, you get an opportunity to save them as a certain file name, so any custom rosters you have previously created will not be overwritten. No worries, you just have to use the downloaded rosters during online play.

I am highly unfamiliar with use of the transfer kit. I do not recommend using it unless you have a clear understanding of the instructions provided. The best I can say for anyone wanting to take that on is wait for the new versions of the games to come out and enjoy easier roster updating.

(Back before this new generation of consoles, EA would have an option under "ONLINE PLAY" in the game menu to update rosters without having to go into online games. This was good, but many people became frustrated when it kicked them out of games and told them to download the latest rosters first. After that they decided that they would just have the option within the online matchmaking menu to avoid such frustration.)