PDA

View Full Version : Where has been your favorite vacation destination?

joew8302
07-28-2008, 08:51 PM
I have been very fortunate that I have had the opportunity to visit many different places due to my dads job. I have been to: Disney, Carribean Cruise, Washington DC, Montreal, Montana, Destin, Hilton Head, Atlanta (Olympics), Bermuda, Orange County, and a resort in Virginia.

My personal opinion is that Destin Florida was unbelievable. They had great white sand beaches and everything was pretty affordable. Pairasailing, Jet Skis and other water activities were cheap, and it wasn't crowded like many other beaches in Florida. I also like beach destinations in the USA much more than Bremuda and Carribean Islands.

Unclebuck
07-28-2008, 09:28 PM
My favorite was probably the Cayman Islands.

But I also had a great time in Destin, Florida. Stayed in the penthouse of the Silvers Towers and (first week of November - so the price was reasonable) but it was extremely nice.

it is hard to describe the beach, it is almost like powdered sugar - it is so fine and white. It never gets hot because it is so white, soft also.

In general, I love lakes and oceans, so anythng near either one is perfect for me

Pig Nash
07-28-2008, 09:32 PM
Best vacation I ever went on was that I and some of my boy scout friends/dads went to the boundary waters in Minnesota and canoed 50 miles, it was so beautiful.

JayRedd
07-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Big Island, Hawaii. Saw Kilauea and about a thousand other amazing things in Volcanoes National Park.

Skaut_Ech
07-28-2008, 10:55 PM

But I also had a great time in Destin, Florida. Stayed in the penthouse of the Silvers Towers and (first week of November - so the price was reasonable) but it was extremely nice.

it is hard to describe the beach, it is almost like powdered sugar - it is so fine and white. It never gets hot because it is so white, soft also.

In general, I love lakes and oceans, so anythng near either one is perfect for me

UB, I had a unique experience in the Cayman Islands. Of all times to go on vacation, I went during the Finals with the Lakers in 2000. I was with my wife, Mom-in-law and Sis-in-law, along with my nephew, who wasn't into sports. End of the day and they wanted to go to bed. I had to find a TV with the game. It actually was kinda hard....but I found this little bar that had the game on, so I had one of my fav beers (Red Stripe), which was treated as a domestic there. :happydanc It was game three and about the only other guy in the bar was sitting there rooting loudly for the Lakers. At one point, I had to say something to him and give him some grief. We antagonized each other the rest of the game. The only two guys in there, rooting for opposite teams. It was pretty funny.

So the game ends and the guy asks if I REALLY want to see the island. Long story short, we was a local and took me to a couple of dancehalls, then to a huge outdoor concert. I got back to my room around 3 a.m.?

It was hilarious having my family ask how the game was, then having me regale them with tales of my long, fun evening. Cayman Island will always have a soft spot in my heart.

As many of you may remember, I go to Vegas EVERY year. That's my favorite vacation spot. I don't go to gamble (although I do.) I just love the variety of quality food, the unreal nightlife and the beauty of the place. The Venetian's Italy recreation? Ceasar's Palace's opulence? Roller coasters, beaches, art galleries, a wax museum, zoos, so much top of the line stuff in one small place. No matter how many times you go, you can make your vacation whatever you want it to be.

campy
07-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Coors Field with my girlfriend, to watch the Colorado Rockies. Spearfish, South Dakota is awesome too.

Unclebuck
07-28-2008, 11:47 PM
Skaut we stayed on the opposite end of the island in a time share, so we were somewhat forced to rent a jeep and drive around a little - but it was a lot of fun to explore the island instead of just stay right on the main beach the whole time. Very safe island and the natives are very friendly

Anthem
07-29-2008, 12:08 AM
Manistee River, MI.

Eindar
07-29-2008, 12:15 AM
Hands down, Aruba. Nothing like living your own Corona commercial every day.

Twes
07-29-2008, 09:57 AM
A treestand.

And that's no joke.

:cool:

Spicoli
07-29-2008, 10:06 AM
What Twes said. In late October, as all the trees are beginning to lose most of their leaves and the high temps are around the mid-40s.

Gyron
07-29-2008, 10:23 AM
Argentina- I can't say enough about how beautiful that country is and how wonderful the people, culture and food are.

We had so much fun down there both times we have been. It helps that we go down to visit friends that know the country, but I think anyone could go down and have fun there.

idioteque
07-29-2008, 10:27 AM
My favorite vacation ever was in Greece. I went with one friend, we flew there from Amsterdam with absolutely no plans at all except we did have a return flight back to Amsterdam.

We ended up staying in Athens for a few days, exploring the city and seeing all the famous ruins, and then we went island hopping. The islands were not busy because it was about 3 weeks before tourist season was to begin. I stayed in Naxos for awhile, rented a little room in an old lady's house that was right by the beach. Every morning she would wake me up at like 6am to make me breakfast and after I ate I would go out on my moped and explore the island.

I was there on my birthday, and she made me an American-style birthday cake of which she wanted to me consume in full at around 6am. It was funny.

Another good place that is often ignored by Americans because a lot of people think its dangerous is Jamaica. Since my longtime girlfriend is from the island I have been there multiple times and once you get out of Kingston the people in the countryside are very nice.

count55
07-29-2008, 10:43 AM
What the **** is a vacation?

Slick Pinkham
07-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Anguilla in the Caribbean.

This was part of a vacation to St. Martin, which was fun but busy and crowded. We took a boat to Anguilla and stayed 50 feet away from a beautiful but practically deserted beach. No hassles, no hustles, no things to do but soak in the scenery and play on the beautiful sand and turquoise water.

I suppose it was nice to also have all the St. Martin activities, and maybe a few days of relative isolation is about the max before boredom sets in, but I enjoyed my relaxing stay in Anguilla.

In two weeks I'm heading to Freeport, Grand Bahama island (first time).
Anybody have some recommendations?

ChicagoJ
07-29-2008, 11:46 AM
St. John, USVI.

:sunshine:

ABADays
07-29-2008, 01:07 PM
In the States it's Hawaii. But I love Dubai and the Maldives Islands.

juadam09
07-29-2008, 02:19 PM

That's funny. I live in Jacksonville (for school) and one of my bosses is taking off today for his sons wedding in Destin. I had never heard of it, but his son loves it there.

My favorite places were Orlando, FL and NYC, but I could never live in NYC. I loved vacationing there, though.

I am planning on moving to LA in the next year or so (actually preferable San Diego) but I wont be vacationing there.

Since86
07-29-2008, 02:43 PM
Are we talking vacation to relax or vacation to unwind, like spring break? :buddies:

Two years ago, about 12 of us went down to South Padre for spring break, which also was Texas week down there. Everyday was an adventure. Amazingly none of us got alcohol poisoning, and other than an incident on the very first day and another right as we were leaving we had no problems.

People want to talk like Ft. Lauderdale or Panama City are the places to go, and they hold no candle to South Padre.

EDIT: Oh, and the weather there was amazing. It registers 90degrees but with the wind coming off the Gulf it feels like it's in the 70's. I'm not a big fan of the sun, I'm pretty much all Irish and burn VERY easily, but even I couldn't get enough of the beach.

Young
07-29-2008, 02:46 PM
Cancun.

That place was awesome. There is so much to do and see.

Yeah, it's one big party down there no doubt. But there is a lot of stuff besides that. I want to go back so bad!

DrBadd01
07-29-2008, 03:52 PM
Dublin, and Edinburgh

Both places are so filled with History in every sense of the word they are beautiful. I liked Belize, Guatamala and Honduras, but not nearly as much as Ireland and Scotland. On the other hand London is WAY too over crowded. Loved the History, but not the crowds.

Raoul Duke
07-29-2008, 04:03 PM
Vegas and Los Angeles

Unclebuck
07-29-2008, 04:13 PM
I am way too old for anything similar or even approaching spring break.

Things that are a lot of fun at age 18, just aren't so fun at age 38 or even 28

bellisimo
07-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Alanya, Turkey.

Went there this summer...it was amazing...great sandy beaches...hot russian tourists...delicious dinner everynight by sunset...it was truly memorable...

http://a11.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/119/l_e6b85cdcbc423a57983ce1d2c0d75122.jpg

Los Angeles
07-29-2008, 08:18 PM
Anyone who has a chance should drive the Pacific Coast Highway. GREAT food, golfing, surfing, beach going, outdoors, great places to stay (even camping) and a string of the most beautiful sights and most exciting cities to visit.

Start out in LA and go through Malibu, Santa Barbara, Pismo, The wine country of the central coast (San Luis Obispo, Paso Robles, etc), then up to Big Sur, Monterey, Santa Cruz, and finally splurge with fantastic San Francisco. After that, the longer you have for your vacation, the farther north you can go, all the way up to Vancouver, CA.

duke dynamite
07-29-2008, 08:22 PM
The Fieldhouse.

Simple pleasures, everyone!

Eindar
07-30-2008, 05:59 AM
I am way too old for anything similar or even approaching spring break.

Things that are a lot of fun at age 18, just aren't so fun at age 38 or even 28

Amen! 5 years ago, "accident"s and "alcohol poisoning" would have sounded interesting. Now, as a 28 year old, just thinking about it makes me feel a little claustrophobic.

When I get away, I just want a nice, quiet beach, or maybe an amusement/water park.

JayRedd
07-30-2008, 11:13 AM
Dublin, and Edinburgh

Both places are so filled with History in every sense of the word they are beautiful. I liked Belize, Guatamala and Honduras, but not nearly as much as Ireland and Scotland. On the other hand London is WAY too over crowded. Loved the History, but not the crowds.

Went to Edinburgh and the Highlands last month. Twas amazing. Great, great city.

Photos if you care.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14774212@N00/sets/72157606223702541/

Anyone who has a chance should drive the Pacific Coast Highway.

Went from Huntington Beach to San Fran like eight years ago on PCH. Driving on those cliffs is breathtaking. Also, went to Yosemite on a different trip. It's the only National Park I've been to aside from Acadia, but it was pretty spectacular in its own right (hopefully the fires get under control soon). I'm hoping to go to Arches next month when I'm out in Colorado. Not sure if I'll have time, but I have a goal to see them all and it's only a few hours out of my way so I'm going to try to squeeze in two days there seeing as how I get out West so infrequently.

MyFavMartin
07-30-2008, 03:13 PM
Savannah

Since86
07-30-2008, 03:34 PM
Amen! 5 years ago, "accident"s and "alcohol poisoning" would have sounded interesting. Now, as a 28 year old, just thinking about it makes me feel a little claustrophobic.

When I get away, I just want a nice, quiet beach, or maybe an amusement/water park.

Oh come on! You don't want to hear the story about getting beat up by a couple members of the Mexican Mafia ? (It's a pretty large gang in Texas)

At the time it was pretty intense, but since nothing too bad happened it turned out to be exciting.