PDA

View Full Version : Tom Crean receives two year extension

Trader Joe
07-28-2008, 02:33 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080728/SPORTS0601/80728062

Well that was quick.

Shade
07-28-2008, 02:34 PM
So far, all he has done is get rid of the entire team, without coaching a single game, and he gets an extension? :wtf:

avoidingtheclowns
07-28-2008, 02:35 PM
ummm... why?

travmil
07-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Thank goodness they got this done. He was gonna bolt for sure in 2016.

Shade
07-28-2008, 02:43 PM
I wonder if I can get a raise if I go into work tomorrow and fire everybody.

Vince Neil
07-28-2008, 03:09 PM
I wonder if IU admin caught word from the NCAA that the bball team was receiving a post season ban. Yikes! Giving Crean more time to rebuild the program.

Shade
07-28-2008, 03:21 PM
I wonder if IU admin caught word from the NCAA that the bball team was receiving a post season ban. Yikes! Giving Crean more time to rebuild the program.

Eight years isn't enough time?

Vince Neil
07-28-2008, 03:26 PM
Eight years isn't enough time?

If banned from the post season for a few years, it may not be.

Shade
07-28-2008, 03:27 PM
If banned from the post season for a few years, it may not be.

The NCAA can go **** themselves if they hand down a multi-year ban for something so trivial.

grace
07-28-2008, 03:36 PM
The NCAA can go **** themselves if they hand down a multi-year ban for something so trivial.

While I think a multi-year ban would be over the top if they do do it it's because they want to punish IU for being so stupid to hire someone with Sampson's history in the first place. Being stupid isn't trivial when you're a school of higher learning.

Trader Joe
07-28-2008, 03:36 PM
I wonder if I can get a raise if I go into work tomorrow and fire everybody.

:lol: Shade you never cease to amaze. How is Crean's fault that the team was full of drug users and people who refused to go to class? That extends to everyone except Jordan Crawford who I think may have been sacrificed to the NCAA gods.

Trader Joe
07-28-2008, 03:37 PM
While I think a multi-year ban would be over the top if they do do it it's because they want to punish IU for being so stupid to hire someone with Sampson's history in the first place. Being stupid isn't trivial when you're a school of higher learning.

The idea that the NCAA enforces higher learning is laughable anyway.

Shade
07-28-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm not saying Crean wasn't right to do what he did. I'm just saying it's nowhere near extension-worthy work.

Shade
07-28-2008, 03:38 PM

IU basically gave themselves a postseason ban this season anyway.

avoidingtheclowns
07-28-2008, 03:43 PM
:lol: Shade you never cease to amaze. How is Crean's fault that the team was full of drug users and people who refused to go to class? That extends to everyone except Jordan Crawford who I think may have been sacrificed to the NCAA gods.

well shade has a bit of a point. i support every decision tom crean has had to make or that has at least happened under his watch but why does he need an extention before he even coaches a game at IU when he was already signed for several years? he hasn't really done anything kick people off the team and recruited some "also ran" talent.

Trader Joe
07-28-2008, 03:46 PM
While I can agree with that sentiment, I read Shade's comment as more of a knock on Crean. Basically complaining he got rid of so many players. If thats not what Shade was going for then yeah, I can see why you would say Crean hasn't done a lot.

However, I think he's put together a pretty remarkable recruiting class given the circumstance. As well as adding talented recruits to next year's class. He is off to about as good a start as you can imagine. IMO, this is just a show of good faith between the university, Crean, and the fans. It doesn't really change anything IMO.

JayRedd
07-28-2008, 03:47 PM
I imagine it's to give future recruits, fans, etc a feeling of stability for the future. It's the same thing as Notre Dame signing Charlie Weis for like 30 years. It's an illusion that, going forward, the bs is over and we got a guy here now who will take us back to the promised land.

Then...If he sucks and they team doesn't improve, they will can him anyway. And it's not your money they're throwing away on a probable future buy-out in four years...so who cares? (Well, I guess it is the state's money, which is technically yalls' -- though not atc's. But since this is the world of top-rank college athletics, let's not pretend this has anything to do with non-profit public institutions of higher education, okay?)

Major Cold
07-28-2008, 03:54 PM
Too early no matter how you dice it. I hope the next year recruits don't bolt if we get that multi-year ban

Slick Pinkham
07-28-2008, 05:36 PM
the Star story is misleading.

When you read the whole thing, you find that this is the first contract he has signed with IU. He had apparently agreed to the previous 8 year proposal but it was not ever signed. Why the delay- who knows. Now when it was time to actually put the ink to the paper, IU apparently decided 10 years made more sense.

This was not an "extension" but a case where the terms of contract ended up being different than those previously described.

joew8302
07-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Hopefully Crean does prove he is worth, that was very quick.

Shade
07-28-2008, 06:12 PM
the Star story is misleading.

When you read the whole thing, you find that this is the first contract he has signed with IU. He had apparently agreed to the previous 8 year proposal but it was not ever signed. Why the delay- who knows. Now when it was time to actually put the ink to the paper, IU apparently decided 10 years made more sense.

This was not an "extension" but a case where the terms of contract ended up being different than those previously described.

Interesting that Crean has been making moves on behalf of the university without officially being employed by them.

avoidingtheclowns
07-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Interesting that Crean has been making moves on behalf of the university without officially being employed by them.

it isn't tremendously uncommon. in fact i think billy gillespie coached most of the year at UK without having signed a contract.

EDIT: yup

Sunday March 23, 2008

UK Basketball: Barnhart pleased with Gillispie's performance

By LARRY VAUGHT
larry@amnews.com

Kentucky athletics director Mitch Barnhart isn't worried that Billy Gillispie has not signed an official contract and sees no reason to worry about the first-year coach leaving the Wildcats.

"We have the memorandum of understanding and it is not a real big deal to us," said Barnhart, who was here to watch UK play in the NCAA Tournament. "He (Gillispie) is OK with where we are. If he wants to revisit it, that's fine. We are very comfortable in the relationship.

"I enjoy working with Billy. I love his intensity and his passion. I think that he truly enjoys being in a place that basketball is so important. I think he has seen the passion of the fans here. Sometimes that can be overwhelming, but if you are a basketball guy like Billy is and you have fans that basketball is important to 365 days a year, it is really special.

"I think he has begun to appreciate just how special basketball is to Kentucky and the national scope of college basketball. He likes that."

That's why Barnhart doesn't see any reason for Gillispie to want to leave Kentucky.

"I think that certainly from a basketball perspective in terms of facilities and those kinds of things, we don't lack in anything. We have everything a coach wants. We have a great practice facility, great technology and great arena," Barnhart said.

"From a player perspective and all the things he wants to get done there, those things take time. But I think there is an energy about what he is doing in recruiting and getting his things in place that will benefit us for a long time to come. I am excited for him."

http://www.amnews.com/public_html/?module=displaystory&story_id=39465&format=html

as for this info -- yeah the article was updated after indy originally posted it and this makes more sense than him having signed a contract originally and then signing another one without coaching a game.