PDA

View Full Version : Is getting Brett Favre worth a 1st round pick?

joew8302
07-26-2008, 06:52 PM
It is being reported the Packers want a first rounder for Favre. No way in heck I give the Packers a first rounder for him. Is Green Bay being realistic here?

travmil
07-26-2008, 07:04 PM
I think if they will end up getting a 3rd or 4th rounder for him. A team would have to be off it's rocker to give up a first for a guy that is probably a one year rental. No they are not being realistic. What I think they are doing is asking for a first, and then they will tell the NFL they won't trade him or release him because they couldn't get "fair value" for him.

Shade
07-26-2008, 09:55 PM
The only way this is worth it is if some team feels that Favre is the man who can get them over the hump and win a Super Bowl this year. That's one hell of a gamble, though.

DrBadd01
07-27-2008, 12:54 PM
I don't think that anybody would pay a 1st Round Pick for him. Besides the Packers want to trade him to a team that is outside their division. The only teams that I have heard who are interested in him are the Jets and the Bucs. I don't know if the Bucs would trade a 1st for him, and the Jets need a QB to start instead of Pennington but they BETTER not give up a 1st for him. They are rebuilding their team though the draft and giving a up a first would stunt their growth.

Moses
07-27-2008, 05:01 PM
I think what the Packers are asking for is a conditional pick for Favre and then depending on how many games he plays, it could potentially escalate to a first round pick. There is no way he's worth more then a 3rd rounder IMO.

BoomBaby31
07-27-2008, 08:46 PM
He isn't worth a 1st round pick unless he plans on staying 3 years and can still perform. IMO the Packers are doing him dirty, they should let him at least compete for the Starting job. I feel they will end up releasing him and if he goes to the Vikings it will be bananas because the Vikes have a chance next year. Pack will be lucky to when 8 games.

ABADays
07-27-2008, 09:14 PM
He isn't worth a 1st round pick unless he plans on staying 3 years and can still perform. IMO the Packers are doing him dirty, they should let him at least compete for the Starting job. I feel they will end up releasing him and if he goes to the Vikings it will be bananas because the Vikes have a chance next year. Pack will be lucky to when 8 games.

He's not worth a 1st rounder and if he keeps talking he's not going to be worth a 3rd rounder. The Packers aren't doing anything to Favre. He's been a drama queen throughout this whole thing. The public and Packer fan sentiment is moving away from him.

Doddage
07-28-2008, 08:00 AM
In a word, no. Why give up a 1st rounder when the guy is liable to just bolt midway through the season? I can see it given the way he's been acting this offseason.

jeffg-body
07-28-2008, 03:00 PM
No way.

joew8302
07-28-2008, 05:39 PM
Ahhh this is the reaction I was hoping for. I really think the Packers are asking for the moon, and when no one will give it to them they will tell Brett Favre that he is either playing backup to Rogers or not playing at all.

heywoode
07-29-2008, 02:55 PM
No way he's worth a 1st rounder. I also feel like it's his own fault for retiring and then trying to come back. All his fault, IMO.

duke dynamite
07-29-2008, 05:24 PM
I'll give them a can of Coke and a Snickers bar for Favre.

heywoode
07-29-2008, 10:39 PM
whoa whoa whoa....slow it down there, dukie. You've been looking at what the Kings got for Artesticle a little too much!

I, for one, think it's sad that athletes go a whole career as some kind of god, and then reveal themselves to be mere mortals (which we all knew was true anyway, but can't we dream?!) by changing their minds and destroying what it took so long to build. At least when Jordan came back, it was because he was reeling from his father's death when he quit. And then he went on to be BETTER than he was before and win three more titles. The Wizards fiasco I partially overlooked because of who he was, but that situation took it's toll on his legacy also.

The only person who has done it right that I can recall is Reggie. I was pretty worried when he was thinking about the Celtics...I kind of wish he had come back and gotten a ring, just to fill a need and not be a starter, but it is still very sweet to know that he went out like the classy champion that he matured into. Ring or no ring, Reggie is a champion.

I only wish Favre could've known what he wanted before he had to make such a monumental decision. I can forgive, because at the end of the day, he is human, he is in charge of his own life, and what he does really is no business of mine.

Slick Pinkham
07-30-2008, 04:00 PM
The Packers lack the leverage to demand that much.

If they don't get their price, they would I guess release him and the price would be nothing.

My guess is they are posturing with a 1, will gladly take a 2, and most likely will get a 3 and maybe a late rounder thrown in with contingencies attached (Favre plays so many games, etc.)

rexnom
07-30-2008, 08:58 PM
I think a conditional 3rd rounder is about right. So if a team gets to the superbowl, it becomes a first rounder or something like that.

Kraft
07-30-2008, 11:03 PM
I'd make Favre suffer. If no one will fork over a No. 1 (and teams shouldn't), he can ride the pine in Green Bay until Aaron Rodgers gets hurt (seems inevitable, eh?).

I actually like Brett. But he completely f'd the Pack over here. How else is Green Bay supposed to handle this? They gave him every opportunity to come back earlier in the offseason, but there's a point of no return -- and Favre waited too long.

Gamble1
08-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Kraft I don't know what articles you have read but Farve hasn't screwed anyone over.

He has made them relevant agian and could keep them relevant in 2009 if thats what they want but it isn't.

Bretts not innocent but neither are the Packers. Bretts indecsion has only wasted a couple of picks but the packers have screwed Brett in more ways by giving him a shotty team for a long time.

I don't know how it feels to get the crap kicked out of me in the NFL as does Brett so I give him a pass. I also don't know how frustrating it is to deal with first round pick that might be all for not but I do know Brett is really really good.

If the Packers want to compete they should have let him come back all the way up to the first regular season game. If the teams were switched (colts/packers) I would want my general manager to retire and my qb to stay one more year.

I will leave you with one more thought. How many teams have had back to back hall a fame qbs.

I can only think of the 49ers but my point is that hall of fame qbs are more valueable than a gm's pride.
Just my thoughts.