PDA

View Full Version : Graphic Novels, Trade Paper Backs, Comic Books, etc., etc.

Peck
07-26-2008, 12:51 AM
We've danced around this for years and now with all of the batman, watchman, Iron Man and other talk due to the movies I figure we might as well go ahead and assure that not a single woman will ever be involved in this thread. :)

Yes kids that's right, it's the comic book thread.

I put Graphic Novels and Paperbacks on there just so we didn't have to totally feel nerdy.

This is the thread to talk about all things comic related.

Marvel, Top Cow, DC (if you must), and all of the others out there.

Talk about what is going on, what you like, what you hate, Something you'd like to see.

I'll start this off like I do so many Pacers posts, with a question.

What is the most valuable Comic Book you own?

Hicks
07-26-2008, 12:58 AM
Is it worth $11 on Amazon to buy Watchmen? I know nothing about it, but I hear many think it's amazing or whathaveyou.

As for your question, I'm not sure if I own any comics anymore, but if I do, it would include Thunderbolts #1 and Sensational Spider-Man #0, I believe. But I think both may have been lost a long time ago.

Peck
07-26-2008, 01:04 AM
To be honest with you 11.00 seems like a bargain right now. I've been on ebay this evening looking at it and have yet to even see the reprint for less than 15.00 with usually 9.00 for shipping.

It's a DC book so in all honesty I haven't read it either but I am willing to pick it up.

Pig Nash
07-26-2008, 02:05 AM
It's definitely worth it Hicks, I did it when LA started talking about it and it's really good.

Los Angeles
07-26-2008, 02:37 AM
Regarding Watchmen, you shouldn't necessarily take my word for it because I'm a total fanboy.

Just know that it is the only comic to ever get a Hugo Award. In fact, they didn't even know how to categorize it. (Novel, Novella, Novelette and Short Story were the available fiction categories, so in 1988 they created a new category called "Other Forms" to honor Watchmen, and have never given another "Other Forms" award since).

http://dpsinfo.com/awardweb/hugos/80s.html

Watchmen was also the only graphic novel listed among Time Magazine's "Top 100 Novels Since 1923," sitting on a list that included To Kill A Mockingbird, Catch 22 and The Grapes of Wrath.

http://www.time.com/time/2005/100books/the_complete_list.html

I don't know if it really deserves to be on that list, but there is little debate regarding where it sits among graphic novels and comics in general. At the top. You will receive very little debate about this.

So here's my own little list of comic book / graphic novel favorites (I am not an expert or collector, so take this with a grain of salt)

1) Watchmen
2) Maus
3) Jimmy Corrigan, Smartest Kid On Earth
4) The Dark Knight Returns
5) Sin City
6) Blood, A Vampire's Tale (just totally freaky)
7) The Killing Joke
8) Marvel's Mutant Massacre Saga
9) Dirty Plotte (I had to throw in an autobiographical indie rag, just because there are so many and they never get attention)

Shade
07-26-2008, 10:06 PM
Is it worth $11 on Amazon to buy Watchmen?

Yes. It retails for around $20.

Shade
07-26-2008, 10:08 PM
What is the most valuable Comic Book you own?

Either Transformers #80 or Venom: Lethal Protector #1 (gold variant). Each issue was worth around $30 last I checked.

Shade
07-26-2008, 10:13 PM
Btw, I highly recommend attending ASH Comics and Shows. (http://www.ashcomicshows.com/) I always hit the $0.20 bins and come out of there with a bag full of comics for under 10 bucks. Last show, I got almost the entire Knightfall series for 4 bucks.

The shows are always at the Holiday Inn off of 21st and Shadeland. The next show is Sunday, August 17th (same weekend as Gen Con for some reason).

Shade
07-26-2008, 10:14 PM
Oh, and Amazing Spider-Man still sucks balls since the marriage retcon. :kickcan:

JayRedd
07-26-2008, 10:20 PM
I don't read comics but my boss got me into 100 Bullets a while back.

He brought in all the 10-issue trade paper backs and got me caught up on the first 70 issues or so and has been buying the new trades every six months or so when they get printed. It's a uber-complicated story (I think the plot arc is supposed to take 100 issues), which makes it a little annoying when I get the news ones since I read like the first 50 in a three-week period and now have a tough time remembering what side stories are going on and which character did what.

Anyway...it's frickin' awesome. Really badass, brutal and graphic (pun unintended), and the storyline is pretty sophisticated.

Shade
07-26-2008, 10:22 PM
I don't read comics but my boss got me into 100 Bullets a while back.

He brought in all the 10-issue trade paper backs and got me caught up on the first 70 issues or so and has been buying the new trades every six months or so when they get printed. It's a uber-complicated story (I think the plot arc is supposed to take 100 issues).

Anyway...it's frickin' awesome.

I've heard good things about 100 Bullets. Never read any of it, though.

I downloaded almost the entire run of Amazing Spider-Man not too long ago, over 500 issues worth, and am slowly making my way through those. Some of the early issues were pretty good, while others were laughably bad.

Counting trades, I have every issue of Ultimate Spider-Man. Great series. One of the best comics on the market today.

JayRedd
07-26-2008, 10:26 PM
The general plot is that some Secret Service-looking guy shows up at your door with a briefcase containing a gun and 100 bullets that are untraceable and that, if found at the scene of a crime or in some poor sap's body, will never be investigated.

Essentially, the guy shows up and gives you a license to kill one person, and he always gives it to someone who has very good reason to kill someone.

Hilarity ensues.

And the art is magnificently well-drawn. And bloody.

Hicks
07-26-2008, 10:28 PM
I ordered Watchmen for 10.99 on Amazon this morning.

Shade
07-27-2008, 10:00 PM
The general plot is that some Secret Service-looking guy shows up at your door with a briefcase containing a gun and 100 bullets that are untraceable and that, if found at the scene of a crime or in some poor sap's body, will never be investigated.

Essentially, the guy shows up and gives you a license to kill one person, and he always gives it to someone who has very good reason to kill someone.

Hilarity ensues.

And the art is magnificently well-drawn. And bloody.

Yeah, I knew what the basic premise was. It does sound interesting.

Shade
07-27-2008, 10:01 PM
I ordered Watchmen for 10.99 on Amazon this morning.

Good call.

Peck
07-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Ok from 1981 till about 1989 I was an avid marvel comics collector. I purchased about every single book that came out (lots cheaper back then) then I got out of it from 89 to about 93 then in 93 I started getting a few titles here and there (mostly avengers line books) then I just totally got out of it in the late 90's altogether.

Then Shade started babbling about something called Civil War about a year ago so I purchased all of the TPB for that. Now I've gotten all of the TPB for WW Hulk.

A lot has changed, I mean a lot over the years. Some for the better some for the far far worse.

I have all of my old books in boxes sealed up in old mylar bags and haven't even looked at them in years.

But off of the top of my head I would guess my more valuable books would be (in no particular order)

Silver Surfer # 1 (by Stan Lee and John Buscema)

DareDevil # 1 (yes the 1960's version)

Avengers # 4 (again the 60's)

I have every single X-men comic from Chris Clearmont and Dave Cochrum other than Giant Size X-men 1.

I have every spiderman from about 189 to about 400 (I think)

I have the Hulk 181 which had the introdution of the Wolverine.

The funny thing is though that I never collected comics for money, I just really always loved reading them.

Today's books are really good as well.

Twes
07-28-2008, 04:51 PM
I probably sold off a pile of comic books back in 1972 or so.

Man I wish I still had them.

$$$

:cool: No such luck.

Shade
07-28-2008, 04:56 PM
Peck, we need to have a get-together sometime. We have much to discuss. ;)

Major Cold
07-28-2008, 05:15 PM
Dorks

Really I could never get that much into comics. I was a football card guy. I like the movies.

Punisher was my favorite comic series. The movie sucked.

rexnom
07-28-2008, 06:04 PM
Ok from 1981 till about 1989 I was an avid marvel comics collector. I purchased about every single book that came out (lots cheaper back then) then I got out of it from 89 to about 93 then in 93 I started getting a few titles here and there (mostly avengers line books) then I just totally got out of it in the late 90's altogether.

Then Shade started babbling about something called Civil War about a year ago so I purchased all of the TPB for that. Now I've gotten all of the TPB for WW Hulk.

A lot has changed, I mean a lot over the years. Some for the better some for the far far worse.

I have all of my old books in boxes sealed up in old mylar bags and haven't even looked at them in years.

But off of the top of my head I would guess my more valuable books would be (in no particular order)

Silver Surfer # 1 (by Stan Lee and John Buscema)

DareDevil # 1 (yes the 1960's version)

Avengers # 4 (again the 60's)

I have every single X-men comic from Chris Clearmont and Dave Cochrum other than Giant Size X-men 1.

I have every spiderman from about 189 to about 400 (I think)

I have the Hulk 181 which had the introdution of the Wolverine.

The funny thing is though that I never collected comics for money, I just really always loved reading them.

Today's books are really good as well.
So you have the first appearance of Venom, Wolverine and Cap (silver age). That is amazing. I have every fantastic four from about 270-280ish to 400ish but nothing extremely valuable.

Shade
07-28-2008, 06:09 PM
So you have the first appearance of Venom, Wolverine and Cap (silver age). That is amazing. I have every fantastic four from about 270-280ish to 400ish but nothing extremely valuable.

Yeah, he's sitting on a nice little nest egg right there.

Peck
07-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Ok I went and looked, in fact I have Avengers # 2. First apperance of Loki.

Peck
07-28-2008, 06:18 PM
What's funny is that the books that are probably the most valuable are really not the books I love so much.

I have the entire run of Master of Kung Fu and there were some outstanding issues of that. I have the entire run of Rom SpaceKnight and I loved that book. Crappy art but still it was fun.

I have the entire run of Ghost Rider but now there have been like 2 or 3 versions of this since the first run ended.

Not to mention all of the mini-series that I have.

BTW, I'm giddy as a schoolgirl today because I just got my Increadible Herc TPB in the mail. :dance:

rexnom
07-28-2008, 06:18 PM
Nestegg, no kidding. You could send someone to college or buy a house with that, depending on condition.

http://comicbookrealm.com/series/165/0/Avengers (http://www.comicspriceguide.com/p-indiv.asp?comicTableID=15180)

Shade
07-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Ok I went and looked, in fact I have Avengers # 2. First apperance of Loki.

Jeebus, Peck, you're an even bigger geek than I imagined. :-p

Takes one to know one, though. :shrug:

Skaut_Ech
07-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Ok from 1981 till about 1989 I was an avid marvel comics collector (i.e. I had scarcely a drunken monkey's good sense in comic book taste). I purchased about every single book that came out (lots cheaper back then) then I got out of it from 89 to about 93 then in 93 I started getting a few titles here and there (mostly avengers line books) then I just totally got out of it in the late 90's altogether....

Just had to edit that for you. :devil:

I used to have a collection comparable to Pecks....then I sold them for college money a thousand years ago. Folks, it's a LOT harder to sell comics than you would think.

I started back up again gradually about 5-8 years ago.....and just sold the whole lot last year (including...sniff...Miracleman. Anyone read THAT?) I saved a very small batch of my fav stuff in TPB form.

Some stuff that I absolutely love and re-read from time to time?

Mage: The Hero Discovered & Hero Defined by Matt Wagner

Kingdom Come (How GEORGEOUS is that artwork?)

Zot: Volumes 1-3 (Anyone else a fan of this book? Phenomenal.)

Planetary by Warren Ellis

Batman: The Long Halloween (part of the basis for the Dark Knight film.)

Starman by James Robinson

Secret Identity by Kurt Busiek

Thor Disassembled

I gotta admit, I'm a little curious whats been going on in the comic book work. Shade was instrumental in helping me divert my comic book budget else where :nod::mygod::shakehead, so I haven't read anything of note for about a year and a half. I've been so tempted to buy a few books, but I don't want to get sucked back in.

I did see the first few issues of the new Thor series. I was never a fan, but it looks GREAT!!

Peck, felt the same way about the Micronauts as you do Rom. I had a huge run of them. Also, years ago, When Iron Man was really big in the mid 80's, I went out drinking with Bob Layton. It was really weird, cause in my mind I was trying to hide how geeked up I was, but I had to keep telling myself the outside world cares NOTHING about what he did, so no point in even mentioning it. I felt like I was with a secret celebrity.

Jay, 100 Bullets is great initially, but I think the more it goes on, the more it looses focus. If you can get your hands on it, his first book (I think) was Jonny Double. You may like it. I have issues 1-4 still. The first and only time I ever wrote to anyone in the comic book field was to Brian Azzarello. He actually wrote me back and we had a couple of conversations, which really weirded me out. I told him his ear for how people talk is amazing. I don't know how he does it.

Los Angeles, did you read the Dark Knight Strikes again? If so, I'm curious if you liked it. Never heard of Dirty Plotte. Had to look that one up.

I'll throw out one more book along the lines of Dirty Plotte, it seems, I have in TPB that I really enjoy; Strangers in Paradise by Terry Moore.

Peck
07-29-2008, 02:06 AM
I knew it, I thought if we were patient long enough this would catch Scott H.'s eye and he would reward of with some tale of Dreadfull Comics. ;)

Actually Scott you should be proud of me, today I actually purchased watchmen and the dark knight returns from Amazon.

Also to re-iterate what Scott said, selling comics sounds a lot easier than it is.

Example, I had missed out on the entire Thunderbolts series. I think it came out after I stopped collecting. Anyway one of the TPB I picked up for Civil Wars was a hardback Thunderbots from Barnes & Nobles. I found it to be entertaining so I set my eyes to ebay and low and behold I purchased the entire run of Thunderbolts (including Annuals, 2 mini series and 5 stand alone books) for a grand total of 55.00.

Now that may sound like a lot of money but I got about 130 books for this, all in mint condition.

That's about 42 cents an issue, which most of them had a face value of over a dollar.

Something is only worth what someone will give you for it.

As to Bob Layton.:-o

My God Bob is a hero of mine. I absoltely loved his Herculeas min series and his work on Iron Man was out of this world.

But I think Bob's best work may have been when he inked George Perez.

Ok now here comes my secert confession for Scott. I have the entire run of New Teen Titans that George Perez & Marv Wolman did. :blush:

I can't help it, I just love Perez's artwork.

Oh yea before I forget, I love the Micronauts. I am going to go look that series up next week and see what I do have. I know I have a lot of the Mike Golden books.

Also guys I was looking at more of my books today, God I missed these things and remembered I have Conan 1 -132. Yes the old Barry Windsor-Smith artwork even the one with the Gray Gods.

I will be re-reading those here very very soon.

Peck
07-31-2008, 02:02 AM
Ok Shade or anyone else who can answer this I am coming to you for a question about powers.

When I stopped reading comics in the early 90's both the Hulk and Wolverine were powerfull characters yet neither of them were considered immortal or above and beyond being killed.

Between the Wolverine book I picked up for the civil war series and now reading World War Hulk it appears as though both of these two now are considered beyond the grip of death.

When did this occur and better yet, why?

I know both have the healing factor which always bothered me but I learned to live with it. Yet in the Wolverine book he takes a full on shot from Nitro and is literally burnt to the point that there is only about a 6 inch square of skin left on him. Yet, he totally regrows from this (including internal organs and eyes) almost instantly?????

The Hulk now apperantly can withstand a direct hit by a Nuke and in the WWH book the army litterally penetrated his upper torso multiple time including several shots to the heart and lungs with adamnatium shards yet he keeps on going????

Like I said they both have always had some of these powers but when did they decide it was time to go over the top with this and I guess how is it being accepted by the nerd community at large?

Also, what did you think of World War Hulk?

Los Angeles
07-31-2008, 02:08 AM
Used to be if Wolvie got cut up too much he would spend at least a couple of issues in the hospital regenerating.

Shade
07-31-2008, 09:48 AM
Ok Shade or anyone else who can answer this I am coming to you for a question about powers.

When I stopped reading comics in the early 90's both the Hulk and Wolverine were powerfull characters yet neither of them were considered immortal or above and beyond being killed.

Between the Wolverine book I picked up for the civil war series and now reading World War Hulk it appears as though both of these two now are considered beyond the grip of death.

When did this occur and better yet, why?

I know both have the healing factor which always bothered me but I learned to live with it. Yet in the Wolverine book he takes a full on shot from Nitro and is literally burnt to the point that there is only about a 6 inch square of skin left on him. Yet, he totally regrows from this (including internal organs and eyes) almost instantly?????

The Hulk now apperantly can withstand a direct hit by a Nuke and in the WWH book the army litterally penetrated his upper torso multiple time including several shots to the heart and lungs with adamnatium shards yet he keeps on going????

Like I said they both have always had some of these powers but when did they decide it was time to go over the top with this and I guess how is it being accepted by the nerd community at large?

Also, what did you think of World War Hulk?

The whole Nitro thing is really the first indication we got that Wolverine could sustain such massive damage. He can apparently regenerate from a single cell, making him not quite immortal, but damn near close enough. It's a lot like Cell from Dragonball Z, actually.

As for WWH, it's a simple case of making the Hulk overpowered to hype the storyline. The Hulk should not be able to go toe-to-toe with either Black Bolt or the Sentry (though the former turned out to be a Skrull, so that makes more sense in retrospect).

Personally, I thought WWH was decent, though the ending was lackluster and a total cop-out, IMO. And now, for some reason, "savage" Hulk has returned from out of nowhere, with no explanation as to how he escaped or why he's dumb again. :huh:

My final analysis? Bad writing. :-p Under Joe Quesada, continuity and precedence have pretty much gone out the window, and Marvel's dangerously on the verge of jumping the shark (if they haven't already).

MyFavMartin
07-31-2008, 01:14 PM
I collected in the 90s with McFarlane and a lot of good artists working X-Men and Spiderman and the jumps to Image - Spawn, Waterworks, etc. Got started with GI Joe and got a few like Green Arrow #1, Batman, and some Dr. Strange.

Psylocke.... Grrrrrrr.....

Peck
07-31-2008, 01:55 PM
The whole Nitro thing is really the first indication we got that Wolverine could sustain such massive damage. He can apparently regenerate from a single cell, making him not quite immortal, but damn near close enough. It's a lot like Cell from Dragonball Z, actually.

As for WWH, it's a simple case of making the Hulk overpowered to hype the storyline. The Hulk should not be able to go toe-to-toe with either Black Bolt or the Sentry (though the former turned out to be a Skrull, so that makes more sense in retrospect).

Personally, I thought WWH was decent, though the ending was lackluster and a total cop-out, IMO. And now, for some reason, "savage" Hulk has returned from out of nowhere, with no explanation as to how he escaped or why he's dumb again. :huh:

My final analysis? Bad writing. :-p Under Joe Quesada, continuity and precedence have pretty much gone out the window, and Marvel's dangerously on the verge of jumping the shark (if they haven't already).

I guess I don't have a real problem with the Hulk being physically stronger than Black Bolt, however I have a real problem with the fact that he displayed him like a hunting trophy to the world. The reason I have a problem with that is because Black Bolt is not just Black Bolt, he is the king of the Inhumans and do you think they would just sit back while thier king was in peril?

My guess is even if the Hulk did best him and did manage to escape, the Inhumans would go to the end of the galaxy to avenge thier fallen leader. So in other words they would have been on earth trying to kill the Hulk and to this day would still be trying to kill Banner.

I do not know this Sentry person that well. I have an idea who he is but he is new to the universe since I left. I'm assuming it's Marvels version of a Superman knock off?

Also one last thing about World War Hulk? Was the Hulk and Banner merged for this? I notice a couple of times that he reverted to Banner but immediately became the Hulk again once he had tricked his enemy into lowering thier guard? Prime example was Dr. Strange.

Now if you want to talk about someone the Hulk should have no chance against it is Strange.

Shade
08-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Sentry is basically a schizo Superman. He was supposedly one of the golden age heroes who was "forgotten" in the Marvel Universe.

It's magic. We don't have to explain it.

comes to mind. :rolleyes:

As for Black Bolt, maybe some of the other Inhumans are Skrulls as well? :whoknows:

After WWH, Banner/Hulk showed up again to tangle with the red Hulk (who beat him down :rolleyes: and is apparently going to beat the living snot out of Thor, as well :rolleyes: :rolleyes:). But, as I said before, he's back to being dumb, savage Hulk, with no explanation as to how he escaped or why he's dumb again. :huh:

I do like how Hulk beat Dr. Strange, though. Crafty.

Arcadian
08-01-2008, 03:34 PM
I collected 89-92ish. Mostly X-men and Daredevil. The Ann Nocenti/ Romita Jr./ Green run of DD was one of my favorites as well as Claremont's X-men. Jim Lee ruined it. Some where it got to be being awesome was more important than telling a good story. I like Sandman as well.

Peck
08-03-2008, 09:14 PM
I collected 89-92ish. Mostly X-men and Daredevil. The Ann Nocenti/ Romita Jr./ Green run of DD was one of my favorites as well as Claremont's X-men. Jim Lee ruined it. Some where it got to be being awesome was more important than telling a good story. I like Sandman as well.

Was that Nocenti/Romita Jr./Green run on DD the typhoid Mary story line? I actully missed that entire run but have heard that it was very good. I realy have mixed feelings about Romita Jr., I have seen some of his stuff be outstanding however if Green is Dan Green I always felt that he over inked John and made the lines to thick. Just a personal taste, obviously as a team they are well respected.

Did you pick up the Kevin Smith/Joe Quasada DareDevils? I did actually get those and they were stellar.

Arcadian
08-03-2008, 11:21 PM
Yes, that is the Typhoid Mary run.

I'm a liar. That is what I get trying to name inkers from 15 years ago. I meant Al Williamson. I loved the art from that team. That's when I thought Romita came into his own and I agree inkers make a difference in how Romita's work look's.

I did read Kevin Smith's first DD arc. It was good but not one of my favorites.

Peck
08-04-2008, 02:38 AM
Yes, that is the Typhoid Mary run.

I'm a liar. That is what I get trying to name inkers from 15 years ago. I meant Al Williamson. I loved the art from that team. That's when I thought Romita came into his own and I agree inkers make a difference in how Romita's work look's.

I did read Kevin Smith's first DD arc. It was good but not one of my favorites.

I loved Quasada's art on that series and I think Smith is a good writer, however he does tend to get to hung up on having some kind of message about being Catholic for my taste.

BTW, Al Williamson is a brilliant inker. I used to love whenever he and Al Milgrom would do art for the Marvel Fanfare titles.

I think I will eventually go back and pick up those DD titles. Do you remember what numbers they were by any chance?

Arcadian
08-04-2008, 10:01 AM
I loved Quasada's art on that series and I think Smith is a good writer, however he does tend to get to hung up on having some kind of message about being Catholic for my taste.

That is pretty much how I feel about it. Smith at times tries to get too religiously deep for my tastes at times. The rest of it I enjoyed.

I think I will eventually go back and pick up those DD titles. Do you remember what numbers they were by any chance?

Typhiod Mary was 254-257 and 258. While I can see how people wouldn't like Ann's run--she was left wing political, took DD out of New York and wasn't in to huge fights--I liked it. The Romita/Williamson team was great. And her stories focused on DD's contradictions and character rather than trying to make the next issue bigger than the next.

Skaut_Ech
08-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Did any of you read this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC:_The_New_Frontier)? or watch this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_League:_The_New_Frontier)?

I'd already seen New Frontier, but came across the DVD at 1/2 price books for $7. I had to snatch it it. I just rewatched it with Darwn Cooke's commentary. MAN that was a good book and feature. Also check out the feature on the history of the Justice league, which serves a bit as a defaco history of comics a bit. (And note Stan Lee's usual, "I created marvel comics all by myself" attitude. I've really grown to dislike him.)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3b/Justice_League_The_New_Frontier.png

Peck
08-05-2008, 02:41 AM
Scott, I did watch that dvd and I watched the extras.

I'm a Stan Lee fan so of course I am biased on that, but I thought he went out of his way ot make sure that everybody knew that Bob Cane, Jerome Siegel and Joseph Shuster were the most important creators.

BTW, I have seen a photo of the Kirby Spiderman that he was talking about. Of course I have no way of knowing the date on it but I think that Stan is probably right about creating Spiderman anyway. I think he always gave Kirby credit for the Silver Surfer, Cap, etc.

I just don't think he and Ditko got along very well.

Anyway for anybody interested, if you have the DVD of Daredevil and haven't watched the extra's yet I invite you to watch the documentry "The Men Without Fear: The Art of Daredevil". Excellent interviews with several people but most imporatantly Frank Miller who describes how he transformed the Kingpin from a comic lightweight (pardon the pun) to one of the true heavy hitters.

Shade
08-05-2008, 11:09 AM
I loved Quasada's art on that series...

I just wish Quesada would have stuck exclusively with being an artist.

Skaut_Ech
08-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Scott, I did watch that dvd and I watched the extras.

I'm a Stan Lee fan so of course I am biased on that, but I thought he went out of his way to make sure that everybody knew that Bob Cane, Jerome Siegel and Joseph Shuster were the most important creators.

BTW, I have seen a photo of the Kirby Spiderman that he was talking about. Of course I have no way of knowing the date on it but I think that Stan is probably right about creating Spiderman anyway. I think he always gave Kirby credit for the Silver Surfer, Cap, etc.

I just don't think he and Ditko got along very well.

Oh, he can't help but laud the creators of another company and arguably the two most popular superheros in history, but I feel like he still pats his own back too much, and I felt echos of that in that DVD. Of course, I'm not a Marvel Zombie, so I could see things a bit more clearly than you. :hmm:;)

I absolutley HAAATTEEED Daredevil, but I'd like to see the extras. I guess I hadn't really thought what a poser he was until Miller transformed him.

And yes, guys, Quesada's art is georgeous. And yes Shade, he should stick to art.

Shade
08-05-2008, 01:23 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Shade20x6/lolquesada.jpg

Peck
08-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Oh, he can't help but laud the creators of another company and arguably the two most popular superheros in history, but I feel like he still pats his own back too much, and I felt echos of that in that DVD. Of course, I'm not a Marvel Zombie, so I could see things a bit more clearly than you. :hmm:;)

I absolutley HAAATTEEED Daredevil, but I'd like to see the extras. I guess I hadn't really thought what a poser he was until Miller transformed him.

And yes, guys, Quesada's art is georgeous. And yes Shade, he should stick to art.

Yea, that's funny cause I know that almost every single person alive hated that movie.

Don't ask me, I loved it. :o To me it was a comic book movie that felt like a comic book movie. I thought Ferrell was brilliant as Bullseye.

Actually that is one of the strong suites of that movie is the casting. You could argue Afleck was the wrong DD, but honestly if there was never going to be a sequal to it then IMO he was fine.

Scott this is an honest question. How long ago was the last time you saw Daredevil? Also how many times did you see it. If it's been a couple of years and you've only seen it once, try it again.

My son watched it with me the first time and hated it, then he watched it a few weeks ago for the first time in a couple of years and had a differant opinion of it.

Moving on.

Ok, who wants to tell me about the annihilation books? Are they worth me picking up or not?

Shade
08-05-2008, 07:07 PM
I actually like Daredevil. I even have it on DVD. Though I kinda doubt I'll buy the Blu-Ray.

Peck
08-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Ok, I got the watchmen in today from Amazon. I've read part of the first chapter and so far so good. I do feel dirty though holding a Direly Creepy comic.:D

Hicks
08-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Yeah, I've read just a half dozen pages or more so far of Watchmen, but I like it thus far.

Los Angeles
08-06-2008, 11:05 PM
OH, I should mention: a lot of first time readers will skip the sections at the end of every chapter because they are not in comic-panel format. Don't make this mistake.

There are very key parts of the story in there, read the book page by page.

Peck
08-07-2008, 04:41 PM
OH, I should mention: a lot of first time readers will skip the sections at the end of every chapter because they are not in comic-panel format. Don't make this mistake.

There are very key parts of the story in there, read the book page by page.

Thank you for letting me know that. I was going to skip them but I read your post in time.

All I can say is that right now I am captivated by this entire story. I will give a report when I am done with this book.

Peck
08-15-2008, 03:41 AM
Ok, so last night I finished the watchmen.

First I will say this

http://www.chrismclaren.com/blog/wp-content/images/2007/02/Alan_Moore.jpg

Not a pretty sight, however one hell of a writer.

Any writer that can take me into a world and draw me deeper and deeper in is a winner in my book.

Honestly, this book is not for everybody. In fact I can think of several of my old nerd friends who would be offended at the very notion of this book. Not nearly enough "Hulk Smash" type action for them.

However if you want to think about a book and follow a very complex story arc I would highly recommend it.

I would call this work brilliant myself and frankly there were parts of this book that were as well written as any book I've ever read, including non-comic type books.

Sure there were some plot holes and frankly some of the writing was a little self indulgent, but Moore took me to a world that I did not know and when I left I felt as though I knew almoste every single character as though I had been reading them for 20 years.

I just do not know how the hell they are going to pull of a movie of this.

My favorite comic story lines of all time are the "Korvac" saga in the avengers and the "six fingered hand" saga in the defenders and I would rank this book right along them.

I just picked up all 4 TBP of the Annihilation Conquest from Marvel but Diamond Dave took those so I will have to wait till he is done reading them.

Any other books anyone want to recommend to me?

Oh, btw if you haven't read the watchmen yet make sure you take L.A.'s advice. Do NOT skip the narrative between chapters, you will pick up a lot of back ground information from them.

Hicks
08-15-2008, 11:31 AM
I'm just now getting into Watchmen. After I'd started before, I'd quickly stopped, but this week I've read a few more early chapters. I'm impressed.

Los Angeles
08-16-2008, 04:36 PM
Los Angeles, did you read the Dark Knight Strikes again? If so, I'm curious if you liked it. Never heard of Dirty Plotte. Had to look that one up. I'm so sorry I missed this question before now. It's been forever since I read that and I was a all-over-the-place in my life at the time so I don't really remember much about it. Maybe if I find it for cheap I'll give it another shot.

I'll throw out one more book along the lines of Dirty Plotte, it seems, I have in TPB that I really enjoy; Strangers in Paradise by Terry Moore.
This is good stuff, too. :thumbup:

I just do not know how the hell they are going to pull off a movie of this.

Bingo. I believe it was - EDIT - It was Arcadian (http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=31090) that said "Yeah, before Jackson I would have said the Lord of the Rings was the hardest to adapt story out there. Now it's Watchmen."

Watchmen is so tied to the panel format, and often has three different things going on simultaneously in flip-flop style with a completely different narrative overlayed on top. That's really the brilliance of Watchmen. It's not just WHAT happens that makes it so good, it's HOW the story is presented that was so revolutionary. It really pushed what you can do in the comic book medium in a really intelligent way.

Film on the other hand is linear, one thing always happens after another and flashbacks often don't translate very well into the film format. Watchmen is 40% flashbacks interlaced throughout 60% "present day" story and sometimes the two are happening at the same time.

And it's also very little action with a whole lot of talking. Zach Snyder has his work cut out for him. He's literally a Leonidas sitting in the pass on this one.

I've got my fingers crossed, but I'm still worried.

Any other books anyone want to recommend to me?

Have you read Maus or Jimmy Corrigan yet? They aren't super hero stories, but they both blew me away.

1) Watchmen
2) Maus
3) Jimmy Corrigan, Smartest Kid On Earth
4) The Dark Knight Returns
5) Sin City
6) Blood, A Vampire's Tale (just totally freaky)
7) The Killing Joke
8) Marvel's Mutant Massacre Saga
9) Dirty Plotte (I had to throw in an autobiographical indie rag, just because there are so many and they never get attention)

Peck
08-18-2008, 04:02 AM
L.A. I have read Maus however it has been a few years. Tell me more about this Blood A vampire's tale?? Who published it? How old is it? Is it a one shot or an ongoing book?

Shade (and others) Ok I picked up the TPB's Thor returns and Spiderman new day.

Ironically both were written by the same author and all I can say is he must have used two differant sides of his brain for each book.

Thor was outstanding. I was very very very skeptical about the whole return. Again it's the same old problem of how do you bring back people from the dead and even try and make it sensible. Well, he pulled it off.

Having Donald Blake in the void and then having him have the power to believe in the Norse Gods actually made sense to me. I mean in reality I wish all comic books would stop the rebirth thing but if they have to do it this makes more sense than the friendly alien who brought Superman back to life

The artwork was good, not great, but very good.

Now Spiderman on the other hand is the exact opposite. Artwork was stunning. Quasada should really truely just be an artist and I don't mean that as a slam at him as E.InC., but this guy may be one of the best artist I've ever seen.

Ok, another quick question here. Um.... did I read this right, does Spidey now have the ability to make his own webs like on the movies? No more web cartidges? How did this happen?

As to the story itself.

Unlike Thor I did not believe this for one single min. Ok now is Peter known to the general public now or not? If not is he now not known by the super hero's again? To me this was a total copout. We've run out of ideas so let's do this only so that in a few years we can do this all over again. Kind of like our own version of Ragnorok. Also on a side note are we really supposed to believe that Peter who was hell bent on getting help for Aunt May would just follow a Bird down an alley and take time to have a chat with a small girl? Ugh

Is anybody still following the current Thor title?

Also, why is Iron Man now everbody's B!tch? I mean for God's sake he is not beaten to a pulp by the Hulk, Thor (both of which I understand) and now Spiderman webs him up???? Are you kidding me?

I have Ares the God of war TPB coming and will let you know how it is.

Skaut_Ech
08-18-2008, 08:03 AM
I quit reading comics over a year ago, BUT I did read Thor's reboot. I'm waiting till a big chunk comes out in TPB. Unbelievably smart writing, in my book. On the strength of that book alone, I almost thought about following just that series, but I knew I'd get sucked in to buying other stuff.

I need to go into a comic store and see what's going on with Thor, now. (A book I NEVER read in the past.)(Ever)

Peck
08-18-2008, 01:01 PM
I quit reading comics over a year ago, BUT I did read Thor's reboot. I'm waiting till a big chunk comes out in TPB. Unbelievably smart writing, in my book. On the strength of that book alone, I almost thought about following just that series, but I knew I'd get sucked in to buying other stuff.

I need to go into a comic store and see what's going on with Thor, now. (A book I NEVER read in the past.)(Ever)

Actually I have a huge run of Thor's from the 80's & 90's just because I collected every Avengers character title. I'll say this some were ok, some down right sucked but there was one stretch that was written and drawn by Walt Simonson that may very well be one of the best runs in any comic book ever. I'll have to go look up the issues to tell you what numbers they were. This is when they introduced Beta Ray Bill.

Los Angeles
08-18-2008, 02:07 PM
L.A. I have read Maus however it has been a few years. Tell me more about this Blood A vampire's tale?? Who published it? How old is it? Is it a one shot or an ongoing book?

I'm sorry, I guess I got the title wrong. It's called "Blood: A Tale"

http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Tale-J-M-DeMatteis/dp/1401202632

It's a one shot deal that was originally printed as 4 issues around 1990 or so? I'll have to check on that. Anyway, it was reprinted maybe 10 years ago as a single volume.

It's just sort of put together like some kind of 4 issue long nightmare sequence. The landscape shifts without explanation, the world at one point is flooded with menstrual blood (really), One character is the size of mini-me only with no arms or legs.

The real draw here is the artwork. It's all original guache, watercolor and mixed media painted on what I think is canvas. These paintings are later photographed and pieced together into pages of the book.

I had never really seen such painterly artwork in a comic before it came out. This series came out back in the day when comics were largely printed on newsprint. to see paintings on glossy paper rather than colored in pen-and-ink drawings was a big deal for me. I know that this approach is much more common now, but I still like this book because it was my introduction to the approach.

If you like the movies by David Fincher or David Lynch and you're interested in seeing plenty of gratuitous violence and nudity, well you might like it.

Dab
08-18-2008, 02:36 PM
I have drifted away from the comics scene, but I have recently gotten into DMZ, from Vertigo (DC.) It's excellent, IMO. The artwork reminds me of somebody, maybe Joe Kubert.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMZ_(comics)

Los Angeles
08-18-2008, 03:01 PM
LInk didn't work, but then I added a closed peren and it worked.

Sounds like a cool series.

Los Angeles
08-18-2008, 03:18 PM
I found an excellent example of Chris Ware's poster work (he's the author/illustrator of Jimmy Corrigan): http://cartoonbank.com/newyorker/061127on_ware_5.gif

He will often tell his short-form stories in this way, as one large panel that you must wander around to get the full story. Good, good stuff.

Dab
08-19-2008, 04:39 PM
LInk didn't work, but then I added a closed peren and it worked.

Thanks, fixed it.

CableKC
08-19-2008, 07:35 PM
I have a recommendation on a TPB....try looking into the "Planetary" series by DC/Wildstorm.

Warren Ellis wrote it. It has a real scientific feel to the series where Ellis does his own take on many of the Marvel icons.

Same goes for "Supreme Power"...JMS take on the 80s Squadron Supreme...which was Marvel's take on the Justice League. There's nothing cooler then taking the origin of Superman and twisting it where he is raised by and eventually used by the US goverment as a Weapon.

Both are really cool series and very well written.

Peck
08-19-2008, 10:18 PM
I have a recommendation on a TPB....try looking into the "Planetary" series by DC/Wildstorm.

Warren Ellis wrote it. It has a real scientific feel to the series where Ellis does his own take on many of the Marvel icons.

Same goes for "Supreme Power"...JMS take on the 80s Squadron Supreme...which was Marvel's take on the Justice League. There's nothing cooler then taking the origin of Superman and twisting it where he is raised by and eventually used by the US goverment as a Weapon.

Both are really cool series and very well written.

I love the Squadron Supreme or the Squadron Sinister as they were known in the Defenders.

I read they were going back and doing another take on them again. I have the 12 issue limited series from the late 80's which was just outstanding.

BTW, who is JMS??? Forgive me, my nerd powers have waned with age.;)

CableKC
08-20-2008, 04:51 PM
I love the Squadron Supreme or the Squadron Sinister as they were known in the Defenders.

I read they were going back and doing another take on them again. I have the 12 issue limited series from the late 80's which was just outstanding.
If you loved the 80s version of the Squadron Supreme series and haven't looked into the Supreme Power TPB, you should immediately go out and get it. It's a really cool and twisted take on the Squadron Supreme/Justice League.

BTW, who is JMS??? Forgive me, my nerd powers have waned with age.;)
Hint - think Babylon 5

Peck
08-22-2008, 03:16 AM
If you loved the 80s version of the Squadron Supreme series and haven't looked into the Supreme Power TPB, you should immediately go out and get it. It's a really cool and twisted take on the Squadron Supreme/Justice League.

Hint - think Babylon 5

Ooooooohhhhhhhhh!!!!!!:blush: Ironic you should mention Babylon 5, I am now watching season 2 of that show. Can you believe I had never seen it before about a month ago. I just love that show.

BTW, J. Michael Straczynski is now one of my absolute favorite writers. His work is the very definition of amazing but simple.

Peck
08-22-2008, 03:27 AM
Ok, I just finished reading Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller.

Hard to believe that I actually never read that book before, but since it was not a Marvel title I never gave it a second thought.;)

About the book itself, which yes I realize was a collection of a mini-series, I'm conflicted.

On the one hand Frank Miller is every bit the writer that Alan Moore and I've seen artwork by him that is absolutely stunning. But to me, in some ways, in this book he took the lazy way out.

I understand that he purposely draws multiple panels and uses his art to advance a story, but honest to God there were some drawings that just were absolutely horrid. It looked like it was drawn by a junior high student. In that I was deeply dissapointed.

However whenever Frank draws a splash page or gets action sequences, there are very few who can match him.

The story itself seemed rushed. Now I realize that the actual books took about a year to publish but since I read it all in one book format I could see that there were things that just didn't make sense to me.

I'll be the first to plead ignorant about the entire Batman myth because as I've stated prior to now I never really read anything. So maybe things made sense to people who understand the back story's on some of this.

I could not get over some of the irony that Frank was putting in there though. The use of the character Turk cracked me up. Turk was a character that was around forever but Frank really used over in Daredevil. Seeing a Turk in this book made me smile.

Overall a very entertaining book and I would recommend it highly.

I now have Ares the God of War to read and the it's off to the Annihilation series.

I will be ordering Supreme Powers very soon.

Anyone want to recommend anything else? Also is anybody reading anything else?

CableKC
08-22-2008, 03:39 PM
Ooooooohhhhhhhhh!!!!!!:blush: Ironic you should mention Babylon 5, I am now watching season 2 of that show. Can you believe I had never seen it before about a month ago. I just love that show.

BTW, J. Michael Straczynski is now one of my absolute favorite writers. His work is the very definition of amazing but simple.
JMS did a real good job of writing a Sci-Fi series that did span 5 ( IMHO 4 ) seasons with a huge story arc...much like what BSG has done.

Season 2 lays the groundwork for the series and 3 and 4 really builds on that to a crescendo.

B5 is my #2 on my list of Sci-Fi series that I love...right behind ( of course ) BSG...and right above DS9.

CableKC
08-22-2008, 03:44 PM
Ok, I just finished reading Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller.

Hard to believe that I actually never read that book before, but since it was not a Marvel title I never gave it a second thought.;)

About the book itself, which yes I realize was a collection of a mini-series, I'm conflicted.

On the one hand Frank Miller is every bit the writer that Alan Moore and I've seen artwork by him that is absolutely stunning. But to me, in some ways, in this book he took the lazy way out.

I understand that he purposely draws multiple panels and uses his art to advance a story, but honest to God there were some drawings that just were absolutely horrid. It looked like it was drawn by a junior high student. In that I was deeply dissapointed.

However whenever Frank draws a splash page or gets action sequences, there are very few who can match him.

The story itself seemed rushed. Now I realize that the actual books took about a year to publish but since I read it all in one book format I could see that there were things that just didn't make sense to me.

I'll be the first to plead ignorant about the entire Batman myth because as I've stated prior to now I never really read anything. So maybe things made sense to people who understand the back story's on some of this.

I could not get over some of the irony that Frank was putting in there though. The use of the character Turk cracked me up. Turk was a character that was around forever but Frank really used over in Daredevil. Seeing a Turk in this book made me smile.

Overall a very entertaining book and I would recommend it highly.

I now have Ares the God of War to read and the it's off to the Annihilation series.

I will be ordering Supreme Powers very soon.

Anyone want to recommend anything else? Also is anybody reading anything else?
Identity Crisis maybe?

It's written by Brad Metzer. It kicked off the whole current DC Universe story-arc that's a very good read.

Also..as others have mentioned here.....Kingdom Come....by far...one of the best Graphic Novels that I have ever read.

CableKC
08-22-2008, 03:55 PM
I guess I don't have a real problem with the Hulk being physically stronger than Black Bolt, however I have a real problem with the fact that he displayed him like a hunting trophy to the world. The reason I have a problem with that is because Black Bolt is not just Black Bolt, he is the king of the Inhumans and do you think they would just sit back while thier king was in peril?

My guess is even if the Hulk did best him and did manage to escape, the Inhumans would go to the end of the galaxy to avenge thier fallen leader. So in other words they would have been on earth trying to kill the Hulk and to this day would still be trying to kill Banner.
I was just browsing through this thread....there is a reason why the Hulk was able to beat Black Bolt to a pulp.

As for the many comments regarding Quesada and his "wave the magic wand" approach to Spiderman...it could be argued that he has done something similiar in his current Marvel Universe Storyline.

Los Angeles
08-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Peck - I agree with you about Frank Miller's work in DKR. Even worse was his drawing in the much-loved Wolverine 4-issue mini series form the 80's.

The proportions of his hands and heads in that series were appalling. first year art school students could do better. Middle-school art is a good description. He also would find any excuse to crop out hands or feet because he wasn't very confident in drawing them from different angles.

Here's his very famous cover from that series. I swear these are the hands of a 12 year old girl. WAY too small for in relation to the head.

http://www.typingmonkeys.com/Images/Wolverine-Miller.jpg

I think right around 88-90 somebody (friend, colleague, whoever) gave him advise and told him to take a figure drawing class and learn about body proportions. Because while he continues to have issues with this he is much improved over the last 15 or so years.

rexnom
08-22-2008, 04:53 PM
http://blog.janfe.com/wp-content/themes/janfe_seo/images/watchmen_babies.jpg

Los Angeles
08-22-2008, 04:56 PM
http://www.dailyraider.com/tv/husbandsandknives/alanmoore.png

rexnom
08-22-2008, 07:33 PM
The best is gigantic baby Manhattan.

Hicks
08-23-2008, 12:56 PM
I just finished Watchmen. Wow, that was great. If the movie can match it, I'm in for a damn good movie.

CableKC
08-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Peck - I agree with you about Frank Miller's work in DKR. Even worse was his drawing in the much-loved Wolverine 4-issue mini series form the 80's.

The proportions of his hands and heads in that series were appalling. first year art school students could do better. Middle-school art is a good description. He also would find any excuse to crop out hands or feet because he wasn't very confident in drawing them from different angles.

Here's his very famous cover from that series. I swear these are the hands of a 12 year old girl. WAY too small for in relation to the head..
At least Frank Miller's art isn't as bad as Rob Liefeld's art.....don't even get me started on how bad of an artist he is.

Peck
08-23-2008, 05:16 PM
At least Frank Miller's art isn't as bad as Rob Liefeld's art.....don't even get me started on how bad of an artist he is.

Actually I think Frank Miller is a very good artist, however I think there are times that he takes the lazy way out. Or it could be he is pressed for time. He tends to do this when he is both writing and drawing. He makes a lot of panels per page so he really does not put much detail into his frames except when he wants to.

As to Liefield, he is one of those artist that if every page was a splash page he would be fine. However unlike Frank he does not advance a story very well IMO.

Here I found this for you.
http://progressiveboink.com/archive/robliefeld.html

Peck
08-23-2008, 05:17 PM
This brings up a good time to ask.

Who is everybody's favorite artist? If you can't name one, give us as many as you like.

Arcadian
08-23-2008, 06:29 PM
That like was funny stuff, Peck. It remembered how much I hated what Rob did to the New Mutants.

Frank does tell a good story as an artist and has improved greatly technically. However, he does have some limitations and I am still surprised he broke into the industry as an artist.

My favorite artist is Bill Sienkiewicz.

Skaut_Ech
08-23-2008, 08:32 PM
First guy who comes to mind is John Cassaday (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Cassaday).

And I also really like Frank Quitely. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Quitely)

For all time, old School, I LOOOVVE Jim Steranko (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steranko) and Wally Wood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wally_Wood)

Arcadian, despite all the praise he's gotten, I've never liked Sienkiewicz. I've even NOT bought books if he's the artist. I just don't care for his style. Judging by my two favorite artist's hyper-realistic styles, I guess that's understandable.

CableKC
08-24-2008, 10:44 PM
As to Liefield, he is one of those artist that if every page was a splash page he would be fine. However unlike Frank he does not advance a story very well IMO.

Here I found this for you.
http://progressiveboink.com/archive/robliefeld.html
LOL. That is so true of how he draws....I always thought that he was a cheap knock-off artist of Todd McFarlene that tried to copy his style....but Liefeld symbolized what was wrong with the huge Comic Boon of the 90s.

CableKC
08-24-2008, 11:11 PM
Favorite Artist.....Alex Ross and Travis Charest.

Peck
10-22-2008, 03:51 AM
Ok I feel like Galactus because I just devoured the entire tpb run of Supreme Powers written by J. Michael Strazynski.

I am now fully convinced the man could write sonets and I would read them with gusto.

His take on the squadren supreme was at the same time similar and totally differant from Mark Grunwalds version.

I am in the middle of the Hyperion graphic novel now, will probably read it in a few hours, and I am waiting to recieve nighthawk tpb, nighthawk vs. hyperion tpb (not written by JMS) and the supreme ultimates.

If you have never picked up supreme powers before I highly highly highly recommend it. I know it is proably sacreligioius to say this but I put it at almost the same level as the watchmen, not quite but close.

Any other suggestions?

Shade
10-23-2008, 05:29 PM
If you have any respect at all for Gwen Stacy, do NOT read JMS's Sins Past. Yeesh.

Major Cold
10-25-2008, 06:07 AM
I just finished Watchmen. Wow, that was great. If the movie can match it, I'm in for a damn good movie.

I hope it does. But from what I read from our posters I am not sure they can pull it off. I hope they don't exclude the inter-story of the delusional Pirate.

Hicks
10-25-2008, 10:10 AM
I think I read the pirate story is there in some form.

Los Angeles
10-25-2008, 02:56 PM
The pirate story is going to be an animated feature included on the DVD. The guy who played Leonidas in 300 will voice the main character.

Shade
10-25-2008, 03:14 PM
The pirate story is going to be an animated feature included on the DVD. The guy who played Leonidas in 300 will voice the main character.

Sweet.

I wasn't a fan of the pirate story, so I'm glad it won't be sucking up valuable screen time.

Stryder
10-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Alex Ross, by far.

I would love to have some of his pieces hanging in my house.

www.alexrossart.com

SoupIsGood
10-26-2008, 11:28 PM
The pirate story is a big part of why I stopped reading Watchmen about halfway through.

Just read The Killing Joke though, and enjoyed it.

Hicks
10-27-2008, 02:10 AM
The pirate story is a big part of why I stopped reading Watchmen about halfway through.

Just read The Killing Joke though, and enjoyed it.

You didn't even finish Watchmen? Wow.....

Peck
10-27-2008, 03:00 AM
Just got done reading the Alpha Flight reboot TBP. Truely this sucked.

Don't waste your time on this one, maybe one of the worst comics I've read ever. Insulting to the original Alpha Flight to say the least.

SoupIsGood
10-31-2008, 11:58 PM
You didn't even finish Watchmen? Wow.....

I might get around to it again sometime, but I'm in no hurry. Of the half I read I enjoyed about 2 chapters. Didn't seem worth continuing.

Reading Batman: The Long Halloween right now. I've never been a big comic book guy, but I was obsessed with the Batman movies with a little. Catching up w/ the Bat like this has been pretty fun.

Doug
11-09-2008, 11:09 PM
Just read Watchmen

Pretty dang good book. The images and themes stay with you for a good long while.

They seem to occupy some measure of my unconscious thought. Spinning around in the back of my mind.

That's always the sign of a good book, movie, etc.

Had multiple Watchmen themed dreams the night I finished.

Not a big surprise. My dreams have always had an adventurous bent to them. "Indiana Jones"-like.

But, my dreams since have taken a little bit more of a darker turn. Scarier. More foreboding.

I'm not sure what that means.

These characters, flawed as they may be, seem engaging and deep. Deeper than a 'comic book'. Deeper than most typical novels.

While it was a completely different book, The Great Gatsby had a similar feel to me. Not sure how I can explain the link. Both tragic in their own way. The characters somewhat resigned to their fate.

Peck
11-10-2008, 02:34 PM
I have finished three more of the Supreme Powers TPB.

Nighthawk: Batman vs. Joker. Actually very good book, however I felt like the end was rushed.

Nightawk vs Hyperion: Superman vs. Batman. Um, while I liked it I can't say I loved it. I really was confused about the guardians of africa part. Were they spirits? Were they superpowered humans? If they were there to protect Africa why weren't they doing it?

Ulitimate Power: This is the crossover of all crossovers. The Supreme powers vs. the Ultimates. This book on the other hand gets two huge giant thumbs up. This is just flat out balls to the wall action. You know how often times there are cross overs that tease a battle between the main characters and you get maybe a page of action. Well not this one. These guys actually fight and fight for almost the length of the book. The inclusion of the actual Squadren Supreme was a great touch as well.

So if you are ever going to read all of the series I would say pick up all three, however if you just want to read a good story I highly recommend Ultimate Powers.

Stryder
11-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Just finished The Killing Joke for the hundredth time. I love it.

Peck
11-20-2008, 01:50 PM
Believe it or not I have just read Dr. Strange vs. Dracula. This is a tpb which compiles some old Tomb of Dracula's with some Dr. Stranges.

It's not nearly as bad or campy as you might think. Marv Wolman wrote the early portions so the story telling is superb. Roger Stern wrote the second half and while it wasn't as good as Marv's it was still very good.

This also features some old Gene Colon artwork, which while he was never really one of my favorites, his drawing on this series was perfect for the mood it was trying to set. There is a bonus splash page at the end that Tom Palmer (the inker) provided Marvel with that Colon drew and they never used. Which is to bad because it was superb.

Not the highest quality picture but here is the best I can find on the net.

http://www.comicmonsters.com/koamfinals2007/DraculavsDoctorStrange.jpg

Shade
11-26-2008, 05:14 PM
The conclusion to Batman R.I.P. was just dreadful. :thumbsdow

Shade
11-26-2008, 09:27 PM
So, rumor is that Bruce Wayne is going to die in Final Crisis. Though why they couldn't have wrapped that up in Batman R.I.P. is beyond me. Must be another money grab by DC. :mad:

Am I the only one who just doesn't care anymore? It's not like he's going to stay dead for long.

Hicks
11-26-2008, 09:31 PM
To me, if you really want to gain attention in a comic book, make the death stick.

Shade
11-26-2008, 09:43 PM
Well, let's see:

There's Uncle Ben, Gwen Stacy (who still has a clone running around somewhere), and...well...that's it, off the top of my head.

Hell, in the last two years alone, Bucky Barnes, Jason Todd, Barry Allen, and Harry Osborn have all been revived (and Joe Quesada wanted to revive Gwen as well, but was vetoed, thank God). It's now cliche to the point of absurdity.

Los Angeles
11-27-2008, 04:18 AM
Don't mix universes.

Marvel's continuity thing forces them to bring characters "back from the dead" because they keep claiming that it's one long story.

DC is different, the plots from different series, even with the same characters, don't necessarily have to connect. A character can be old in one series, be young in the next, die in a third, and have never died in the fourth. DC just writes finite stories with recurring characters.