PDA

View Full Version : 1st day back at Colts camp report

JBones19
07-25-2008, 03:41 PM
Just got back from Colts camp and thought I'd share some stuff I noticed-

-Marvin is back. This was one of my top concerns, but he was out there running, cutting, and accelerating like it was 4 years ago. No knee brace(s) or anything, was glad to see it.

-Sorgi looked ok with the first team, he did fumble a snap Grossman style, but he was accurate. One thing I noticed though is that none of the 3 QB's threw more than a 10-15 yard pass during 7 on 7 or 11 on 11 drills, it was mostly check-downs to the RB's or TE's.

-Quinn Gray looked athletic and has a strong arm but he over-threw his receiver almost every time, didn't look good. The hefty lefty was def. more accurate in his throws but he just takes too long to wind up and release the ball, he's a pick waiting to happen.

-Other than the two wide-open drops, Addai looked in mid-season form juking and accelerating through the holes. (that's what she said)

-I actually got to meet Mike Pollak and his family, they were really nice and loved Indy so far. Mike's mom couldn't believe how "green everything was out here and how friendly everyone is." They actually said they were thinking about moving out here from AZ, so that was cool. OH and Mike played with the first unit and did a great job as far as I could tell.

-Marcus Howard is friggin' fast on the edge, but Ugoh didn't let him get near Sorgi.

-Tim Jennings really stood out in a good way in the DB's. he seemed to be around the ball alot and had a pick, Hayden looked good too.

-Keiwan Ratliff and Michael Coe returned punts, I didn't see Rushing so I don't know what's up with that.

-Mike Hart is small, but he runs REALLY hard and has soft hands, and Pierre Garcon is a lot bigger than I thought he would be, and Roy Hall looks even bigger than he did last year at this time, if thats possible.

-I didn't see Phillip Wheeler actually play, Clint Session was in Hagler's spot for the drills.

-Freeney, Bob, and Hagler were all on the opposite field together running and stretching, so it was good to see them there, Peyton was MIA, which was expected.

-Jason McElwain, (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/23/earlyshow/main1339324.shtml) the autistic kid who scored 20 points in 4 min his senior year was at camp again this year and was signing autographs which was cool.

-John Clayton was there, looking cool as usual http://www.thehookandlateral.com/images/coaches/john_clayton.jpg

Overall a good first day, I'm hoping we can get some production out of the other QB's but we may be in for a long pre-season.

-J

ABADays
07-25-2008, 04:14 PM
Nice recap. Wait till Mrs. Pollack spends a winter in Indy. AZ will look like heaven.

cramerica
07-27-2008, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the recap. If you go anymore I would love if you could do this again.

cramerica
07-27-2008, 12:21 AM
Nice recap. Wait till Mrs. Pollack spends a winter in Indy. AZ will look like heaven.
I completely agree. Everytime I am home for xmas, it makes me enjoy Tucson that much more.

JBones19
07-27-2008, 05:19 PM
thanks for the props, I will be going at least 2 more times in the next 2 weeks or so and I'll share what I see on here.

BigMac
07-27-2008, 08:53 PM
I went on Saturday to both the first and second practice. Here is some of the things I saw:

1) Gary Brackett is one of the fastest linebackers I've ever seen. He's like a waterbug-by the way he dashes and darts. Not fast but amazingly quick-which at the LB position is more important.

2) I spent most of my time watching the WR's. I was happy with how Marvin looked in the afternoon practice-morning he did not participate as pre-arranged.

3) Having spent most of my time watching the receivers I was impressed with five guys overall. None made glaring mistakes but the best five I saw were Harrison, Wayne, Gonzalez, Hall, AND Courtney Roby. Roby did not drop a single pass. He (Roby) only missed one ball when the new QB, Gray, threw the wrong way-as was told to him (Gray) right after he threw the ball-by the QB Coach. He zis possibly the fastest receiver on the team and his hands anad concentration were outstanding. I seriously was surprised how good he is-and I'm a Roby fan and maybe his toughest critic.

4) After watching the support staff try to catch balls punted by Hunter Smith makes me wonder how this guy is not more widely regarded. He really towered some of his punts and they always seem to knuckle on their way down-making it terribly hard to catch. I just wish he would learn where the sideline is because he can easily outkick his coverage. Think Coffin Corner.

5) It will be intersting to see in a pre-season game how Sorgi does with the 1st team. He looked good in the drills and the morning non-contact scrimmage. Gray looked strong (though obvioiusly still learning the position) and Lorenzen is not as big as I thought he was but he has an amazingly strong and seemingly accurate arm. If you did not already know he is a left handed thrower which makes for an awful big change for receivers (ball spins differently), offenive line (Rt. tackle defends his backside instead of the left tackle when a righty is in), and for play calling (natural throw side is the left side of the field whereas righty's are on the right). He didn't ever throw to the weak (right) side.

6) Dominic Rhodes looked strong. Prediction: Mike Hart will make this club. He is a strong runner but definitely at least a step slower than Addai or Rhodes. Addai was Addai.

7) No one in the secondary impressed me overall. They looked good but no one was spectacular.

8) Offensive line looks good. Both 1st and 2nd team front lines looked very, very good. Third team O line was...eh, just so-so.

9) I saw Keiho twist his ankle and he got right back up. Will bother him for a short while but it did not look like a major injury.

10) I don't know what this team could do without Manning. I just have a feeling (no inside information) that he's going to be out longer than we think.

Jonathan
07-28-2008, 10:38 AM
It will be very interesting to see what the team does with Roby. He is a local kid & never panned out for TN. I do not know how many WR's we can/will keep.

joew8302
07-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Yikes. I am not sure how good the Colts would be without Manning, here is hoping that your gut feeling is wrong! But I do think it makes all the sense in the world to be cautious.

Shade
07-28-2008, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the analysis. I finally get to watch the Ponies in HD this year. Can't wait! :yay2:

Lord Helmet
07-28-2008, 06:49 PM
I remember seeing on ESPN a report from John Clayton saying Manning would definitely be ready for the Bears game.

He said everything with the surgery went fine and they'd actually have to start holding Manning back in 3 weeks or so after the surgery.

I don't remember all that was said in the report, but it made me feel a lot better.

DisplacedKnick
07-29-2008, 07:03 AM
Manning will be OK. Freeney's the big concern IMO - injuries like that take a long time to get back from 100%. I seriously doubt he's a big factor this season. I just can't see him being able to get his explosion off the line. Sort of like an ACL. First year back you're just a player. 2nd year back you get the leg strength back to be close to who you used to be. Hopefully the Colts have some plans to get more QB pressure if what I think will happen with him does.

D-BONE
07-29-2008, 08:28 AM
Manning will be OK. Freeney's the big concern IMO - injuries like that take a long time to get back from 100%. I seriously doubt he's a big factor this season. I just can't see him being able to get his explosion off the line. Sort of like an ACL. First year back you're just a player. 2nd year back you get the leg strength back to be close to who you used to be. Hopefully the Colts have some plans to get more QB pressure if what I think will happen with him does.

Yeah there's no question he is the biggest factor for the defensive unit's success IMO. If he can't return to around his usual form, a big load is going to fall to some really inexperienced and unproven guys (Howard, Johnson).

I'd feel better if there was a veteran option to fall back on, although I guess Raheem Brock might move back outside. Doesn't strike fear in your heart though and Dungy changing the defensive philosophy to get pressure beyond using the front 4 seems highly doubtful.

Sollozzo
07-29-2008, 12:50 PM
There is absolutely no chance that Peyton will miss opening the house that he built.

He is in Terre Haute now, and all indications are that he will try to get out there week 3 or 4 of the preseason.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080729/SPORTS03/80729037