PDA

View Full Version : Going to Cedar Point this weekend

Trader Joe
07-22-2008, 02:39 PM
I've never been before. I have been to King's Island in Cincy several times, but me and a couple buddies are going up Friday night and to the Park on Saturday. Anybody who has been got any tips? What coasters have the shortest waiting times and which ones have the longest? Stuff like that.

Pig Nash
07-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Saturday, everything will have a long line but the coasters are worth it. Ride the Dragster, Millennium Force, and Maverick at least once. Other rides worth the wait are the Raptor and the Mantis.

Trader Joe
07-22-2008, 02:51 PM
Yeah I kind of figured that Saturday would equal long lines, but with work and what not, there was not really any other day for us to go.

Unclebuck
07-22-2008, 03:00 PM
Cedar Point is much better than Kings Island. Yes lines will be long.

Maverick, Millennium Force, and Dragster are the three best - but the Raptor is excellent also.

There are so many worth riding (and that is only the roller coasters).

You'll have fun. Plus the setting is so much nicer than Kings Island - as Cedar Point is almost on an island, so you see water almost all the way around it. Some of the views on top of the coasters is breathtaking. Best views is on the Magnum - which at one time was the largest roller coaster in the world - and it goes slowly up the hill. Millennium Force is a lot taller, but it goes really fast up ythe hill.

Just to give you my quick thoughts.

1) Millennium Force - still my favorite. This one is tall, fast and very smooth - you don't go upside down, but as soon as you take off you never catch your breath. My legs always feel a little wobbly after I get off. You have to ride this more than once

2) Maverick - this was new last year and I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. No really big hill, but some great airtime and you to go upside down - just a lot of fun

3) Top thrill Dragster - this one is intimidating. You can't miss this one almost from anywhere in the park. Straight up and straight down. It shoots you off like a rocket. I must admit though it all happened so fast, that you have to ride it a couple of times to comprehend what just happended.

- these top three will have the longest lines - they are the best coasters and new.

4) Raptor - you sit on it like a ski lift, it twists you around, upside down, it is really disorienting - it makes me sick though. Might not be too long

5) Mantis - similar to the Raptor but you stand and it is a ride I hate - it beats you up and hurts in areas you do not want to hurt. If the line is short, ride it, but prepare to be sore afterwards

6) Magnum - I mentioned this earlier - it is really a great roller coaster - not as smooth as it used to be - but fun. Line shouldn't be too bad

7) Gemini - wood coaster - decent somewhat fun

8) Mean Streak - and extremely herky jerky wooden roller coaster - not much fun

9) Wicked Twister - back and forth, I didn't like it even though it is one of the newer ones

Here is the official website
http://www.cedarpoint.com/

Let me know if any other questions, would be glad to answer - you'll like it more than Kings Island - although I have not been to KI in about 15 years, so maybe it has gotten better

Aw Heck
07-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Uncle Buck gave a pretty good rundown. I agree with pretty much all of it.

Definitely ride the Millennium Force at least once. That ride and the Top Thrill Dragster will have the longest lines all day, by far.

I'd give the Top Thrill Dragster at least one try too. That's probably all you're going to get, unless you're willing to wait 2+ hours in line twice. Also, every time I've been there, the Dragster has had to shut down at least once for about an hour to fix something. So just be prepared for that. If it happens while you're in line, I'd advise staying because a lot of people will leave the line and you'll move up. You'll have to wait a while for them to get it back up, but it's better than leaving and coming back to wait even longer. I think it's definitely worth at least one ride.

Those are definitely the best roller coasters there. Other than those two, you can't really go wrong. It's definitely a great park, and I agree with Uncle Buck that it's better than Kings' Island.

By the way, if you plan on going there again in the future, I definitely recommend going there as early in the season as possible. Not all schools are out yet and the weather isn't always the best. And go on a weekday. All those factors minimize the crowds and the amount of time you wait in line.

The last time I went was in May 2007 on a weekday. The temperature was in the 60s and the sky was overcast. My friends and I were there when the gates opened. We ran through a lot of rides that morning before more people started showing up in the afternoon. We only waited half an hour to ride the Millennium Force in the morning and about 45 minutes the next time we rode it, which is nothing compared to what it's like in the summer.

Anyway, you're going to have a great time, Indy. Just thinking about Cedar Point makes me want to make another trip.

Pig Nash
07-22-2008, 08:08 PM
Going to Cedar Point makes previous trips to all other theme parks retroactively not fun anymore.

Trader Joe
07-22-2008, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I'm definetely excited. Since I'll be going with five of my friends I'm hoping the lines seem a little shorter.

ajbry
07-22-2008, 10:59 PM
Going to Cedar Point makes previous trips to all other theme parks retroactively not fun anymore.

Someone's never been to Florida... Those theme parks - even though they're tourist-infested - are simply amazing. I went to Disney 10+ times and it never got old.

Pig Nash
07-22-2008, 11:25 PM
I've been to disney world, it's a different kind of fun. Cedar point is just straight thrills.

ajbry
07-22-2008, 11:30 PM
More of a Six Flags type thing? If so then I see your point, I'm just not a big fan of rollercoasters.

Pig Nash
07-23-2008, 12:02 AM
It's like eight times more fun then six flags. (at least kentucky kingdom)

N8R
07-23-2008, 12:45 AM
Wait for front row seats on Top Thrill Dragster and Millennium Force. Top Trill was not so much fun the first time when I was half way down the cart. We went as the second to last ride for the second time and we said screw it and waiting for the front. Makes it 1000 time better.

Millennium Force was the first ride I went on at the park and I sat front row. The line was long and waiting for the front was longer but worth it. You cant even see the track when you are coming over the hill. Now I like a thrill and no other rollercoaster that I have been on has actually scared me but that one. I thought I was going to die which made it that much better. If you dont want to wait for the front ( a big mistake) than go to the very very back. Me and my friends did this for the last ride of the trip and it was cool. It was dark out so we couldnt see the track or where we were going but you get a bigger whip going down cause you get pulled a little more from the rest of the car going over the hill.

The rest I dont remember cause those two top everything in my opinion. Best theme park for thrills out there.

Unclebuck
07-23-2008, 08:36 AM
Has anyone in your group been there before??

Since you are going up the night before, I would get there before the gates open Saturday morning and go on one of the three rides that will have a long line. Top Thrill Dragster is probably closest to the front of the park - might want to go on that first. Ideally, I always like to start off sort of mild - typically the Gemini (but I never go on days that are crowded) and build my way . But since you are going on a very busy day, you should ride the ones that will have the longest lines first thing and then try again after 8 in the evening.

If none of you have been there, I would do a little research on where the rides are and have a little bit of a plan at least for the first 2 or 3 hours to maximize your ride time

Trader Joe
07-23-2008, 08:40 AM
Yeah at least two of the guys going have been before.

Unclebuck
07-23-2008, 08:54 AM
Yeah at least two of the guys going have been before.

OK, that is good. One thing that I think is different from Kings Island (although keep in mind it has been about 15 years since I've been there) because Cedar Point is on a peninsula and land is very limited (basically all of it is being used and has been for many years - so when they build new rides, they have to be creative) many of the rides are on top of each other, and if you don't know where "the line begins" for example, you can waste time trying to find it. So having someone who has been there will help.

ChicagoJ
07-23-2008, 01:11 PM
Millenium Force is a blast - get a front seat. Worth the wait. Ride it again at night from the front seat.

I can't get over how fast you get to the top of the first hill. This ain't your father's roller coaster.

Raptor is awesome. You will be dizzy when you exit. View doesn't matter, no need to wait on the front row and its possible that the back row feels quicker.

The wooden roller coasters aren't as good as the Beast at King's Island. Mean Streak is nice and rough.

Mangum was the tallest roller coaster in the world for a long time, and it just looks puny in comparison to Millenium.

ChicagoJ
07-23-2008, 01:13 PM
More of a Six Flags type thing? If so then I see your point, I'm just not a big fan of rollercoasters.

Yeah, Cedar Point specializes in roller coasters and doesn't really have many non-rollercoaster rides anyway. It appeals to a different inner-child than other amusement parks.

Unclebuck
07-23-2008, 02:53 PM
Millenium Force is a blast - get a front seat. Worth the wait. Ride it again at night from the front seat.

I can't get over how fast you get to the top of the first hill. This ain't your father's roller coaster.

Raptor is awesome. You will be dizzy when you exit. View doesn't matter, no need to wait on the front row and its possible that the back row feels quicker.

The wooden roller coasters aren't as good as the Beast at King's Island. Mean Streak is nice and rough.

Mangum was the tallest roller coaster in the world for a long time, and it just looks puny in comparison to Millenium.

Jay, when was the last time you rode roller coasters? I went last year for the first time since 2000 and while I still had a lot of fun - there were times when I was glad a ride was over (not Millenium Force - that is pure fun to me) but a ride like Raptor I was glad to get off that thing - I think it is an age thing. because back when i was closer to 30 and under I could ride the Raptor a few times in a row. But not now. My body can't put up with as much as it used to - are you the same.

The Beast is by far the best wooden roller coaster - the two at Cedar Point aren't very good - Mean Streak I think is a huge disaapointment - I like Gemini more

ChicagoJ
07-23-2008, 04:50 PM
We get a family pass to Great America, which is now run by Six Flags. But we didn't get a pass this summer because of the horrible construction on the Tri-State.

Great America is okay, but doesn't compare at all to either park in Ohio.

I haven't ridden the Raptor since 2002, but Dad rode the Raptor and Millenium Force with me that trip. He rode Batman last year with me, which is like a mid-sized version of the Raptor.

I think I've got a genetic resistance to dizziness.

For us children-of-the-80s, the Raptor very much reminds me of King's Island's "Bat". Except that it stays on the track like it is supposed to.

Unclebuck
07-24-2008, 09:28 AM
We get a family pass to Great America, which is now run by Six Flags. But we didn't get a pass this summer because of the horrible construction on the Tri-State.

Great America is okay, but doesn't compare at all to either park in Ohio.

I haven't ridden the Raptor since 2002, but Dad rode the Raptor and Millenium Force with me that trip. He rode Batman last year with me, which is like a mid-sized version of the Raptor.

I think I've got a genetic resistance to dizziness.

For us children-of-the-80s, the Raptor very much reminds me of King's Island's "Bat". Except that it stays on the track like it is supposed to.

Oh, I remember riding the "Bat". All during my teenage years I loved the Beast, (haven't ridden it in at least 15 years (loved the tunnels) but I would guess it wouldn't do much for me after riding the newer rides. Jay you are lucky that you don't get dizzy, as a child I would often get car sick and could never ride anything that went around and around. Really I probably should ride roller coasters anymore, my body just can't take it very well anymore - last year I did get sick after going on Wicked Twister

Unclebuck
07-27-2008, 11:24 AM
I'm expecting a full report

Trader Joe
07-27-2008, 02:23 PM
I'm expecting a full report

Ha, I'll do my best.

Let's see we arrived at the park between 10:30 AM and 11. Ran into more traffic than we were expecting. The land bridge you cross to get to the park is pretty cool. Some of those homes are probably pushing the 2 million dollar threshold. It would be a cool place to have a lake home, but I'm not sure I could deal with that much traffic in front of my house.

First ride we went to was Maverick. I sat in the front car and that 95 degree angle is intense. That was very cool. We waited about two hours to ride that one.

Next we went on Mean Streak. It was ok. It really beat you up physically, and I didn't think it was fun enough to be worth getting beat up like that. Waited about an hour to get into it.

Oh, also, I should mention we had GREAT weather, thought it was gonna rain til noon, but luckily just cloudy and by noon it was sunny and hot for the rest of the day.

After Mean Streak, went on Magnum. Magnum was A LOT of fun. I like coasters that are fast and give a lot of airtime, and this one definetely did. Wait about one hour and forty five minutes or so to ride it.

After Magnum went on Top Thrill. Lucked out and the wait was supposed only an hour and fifteen minutes, but as we got to the ramp for the ride, we saw a roll back and that took them 30 minutes or so to get the ride up and running. I thought the ride itself was OK, but not nearly as fun for how intimidating it is. It's a novelty thrill ride IMO, not a roller coaster.

After that got some food and then went on Mantis. Bout an hour and forty five minute wait. It was OK. The seats are a little uncomfortable for men IMO.

Went on Raptor after that about the same wait as Mantis. It was fun, but one of my friends lost his phone so that kind of put a damper on it.

Finally got in line for Millenium Force at 8:45. Rode it at about 10:15. It's clearly the best ride in the park IMO. Just a ridiculous amount of fun, and the cars feel supremely confident flying around the track. Plus riding it at night is amazing. We saw fireworks as we came flying around the last banked corner.

As we left they were playing that I'm proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free song as fireworks went off and everyone was singing in the area which there were a ton of people in the area, so it sent some chills down my spine. Doing something like this that we can kind of take for granted is just another reason that our country is so great, and it was cool to end the day like that.

I'll definetely be going back.

Trader Joe
07-27-2008, 02:26 PM
BTW ride that made feel the worst was definetely the Mantis. I came off feeling like I had jelly in my legs and didn't really feel the normal til I was getting on Raptor. So I think I would have enjoyed Raptor even more if I had felt better getting onto the ride.

travmil
07-27-2008, 06:19 PM
It's been years, but the last time we were at Cedar Point, the coolest thing happened. Our weather was awesome, but out over Lake Erie there were thunderstorms, and they had an outbreak of waterspouts far offshore. About 20 in all at various times throughout the day. It was awesome. The rides were good too. Some of the rides mentioned here weren't built yet the last time I was there.

Unclebuck
07-28-2008, 09:10 AM
Hey Indy - seems like you started the day and ended the day with the two best rides. I agree with you about Top Thrill Dragster.

MF is my favorite also - everything about it I love and there isn't anything I would change. Sure the first ride is the best, but it holds up well to repeat rides - for sure.

If I lived within 30 minutes of the park, I would get a season pass and just go to ride MF and leave.

Sorry the lines were so long.

Yeah, I will never ride Mantis again - I just don't enjoy it at all.

Magnum is underrated - It opened in 1989 and they sure have gotten their moneys worth - it was the tallest RC in the world for a number of years and voted the best steel coaster for many, many years, and it was my favorite until MF opened in 2000. Somehting about the slow trip up the hill that is very memorable - although I'm glad that MF has a much quicker ascent

Mean Streak on the other hand I think is a disaster - it is boring, way too rough and it has from what I've heard been a nightmare for the park - not worth the maintenance and expense.

Trader Joe
07-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Eh, the lines weren't too bad.
If it was five degrees cooler we would have had perfect weather.

Magnum would be the best coaster at a lot of parks, but might only be fourth at Cedar Point. I think it would be the best at King's Island, and I like the Beast a lot.
Also, did you know Cedar Fair bought King's Island? I think this could mean good things for that park. They are already building a new coaster for 2009 that they are announcing next week which should be good.

If I were Cedar Fair/Cedar Point I would tear down Mean Streak and build a new coaster there.

Since86
07-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Also, did you know Cedar Fair bought King's Island? I think this could mean good things for that park. They are already building a new coaster for 2009 that they are announcing next week which should be good.

Yep, they changed any of the names that had to do with Paramount. FaceOff is now Vertigo. DropZone is now DropTower, or vice versa. Top Gun has a new name that I can't remeber as well.

Trader Joe
07-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Top Gun sucks I don't think it matters what it is called.

Since86
07-28-2008, 02:46 PM
I agree BTW. The best thing about it is that they stopped playing that freaking song.

If I never hear it again, I will lead a happy life.