PDA

View Full Version : Just got out of the doctors office (chest pain)

juadam09
07-21-2008, 05:23 PM
I just went to my physician, I have had what I thought was heartburn for the last couple of days (since Saturday) and then today at work my right arm went numb.

He said assuming no drugs are involved (cocaine, which I have never taken causes these symptoms I guess) that my chances of a heart issue are slim. He was leaning towards anxiety, stress, some heartburn (I have a history of eating way to fast) and a lack of sleep but to be sure he went ahead and had me take a EKG test and also did chest X-rays.

They said the EKG test was normal and the guy who took the X-rays said "the good news" was it is the wrong arm, but I will feel more comfortable when the doctors calls me back with the results.

Shade
07-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Get a second opinion, just to be on the safe side.

Bball
07-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Good luck!

Stress causes a lot of other problems... I can vouch for that. Also, 'stress' doesn't mean sitting in the corner chewing your nails and being a basket case. Life can dump a lot of stress on you and just dealing with it isn't exactly managing it.

Hicks
07-21-2008, 05:36 PM
Take care of yourself.

idioteque
07-21-2008, 05:53 PM
Are you stressed out? Last year I was having a similar problem with my leg going numb at work, I was scared to death and had all kinds of tests but it turned out resulting from stress.

I am now 100% sure it is stress because I got a new job recently and bam, it happened again for my first few days of work but when I got more comfortable at the job it stopped.

MyFavMartin
07-21-2008, 06:05 PM
My wife went in recently and she's young and in fairly decent health... poor diet and lack of excercise not withstanding. She's had shortness of breath and pain in her side. EKG revealed a delayed T wave and doctors said it's primarily stress.

So my task as the good husband is to fill her script of "take care of the 2 yr old more and give her some back rubs."

No prob since we know what 80% of all back rubs lead to...

Spicoli
07-21-2008, 06:37 PM
Get an Rx for Xanax.

Seriously.

juadam09
07-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Thank you for the kind words everyone.

After talking to my parents it seems like anxiety attacks are pretty common from my moms side of the family. I complained of chest pains as a child, even complaining of my heart "beating so fast I thought it would come through my chest", but I always just got over it.

Mom does not think it is stress, as I just took a microeconomics class while working FT with my girlfriend living with us for 2 weeks. If anything was going to stress me out that would have, and I was fine.

As for other things, I have sucked with my sleep habits and nutrition. Add to that a job where I am on my feet all day and have to be up between 4 and 5:50 and getting to sleep at 11:30 or midnight that really hurt me. I also was only eating one meal a day, dinner. I am trying to pay off debt before I return to school so I was skipping lunch to save money and for breakfast I would have my vitamins and maybe a apple or some grapes.

Sorry for the long post, but after talking to my parents and getting the results of the EKG I feel a little better. Of course the doctor says there is a chance that the X-ray could show something, but there is no point is worrying about that until I actually get the results.

DC, not really. Just the stress of paying off my credit card bills before I go back to still next month. But that is nothing new, I am a workaholic and work 10 hour days regularly. I just cant sit around the house and do nothing.

As for prescriptions, the only thing he told me to do was get over the counter Prilosec. I just picked some up at CVS on my way home.

Lord Helmet
07-22-2008, 05:35 AM
Hope you're alright.

Twes
07-22-2008, 08:13 AM
Get an Rx for Xanax.

Seriously.

Just remember to get enough for everybody. Ha ha.

juadam09
07-27-2008, 06:00 PM
X-Rays came back fine.

I was ok for most of the week, but yesterday and somewhat today have had some tightness in my chest again. Of course this could be from the fact my company is trying to push out all part time and intermittent employees and that puts me in a bind as no one is really hiring part time for my field right now.

But thankfully the summer is over and I can go back to worry about grades and then worry about jobs at a later date.

Again thanks for all the kind words.

Shade
07-28-2008, 12:50 AM
Glad to hear everything's okay. :thumbsup: