PDA

View Full Version : The restaurant review thread

Pages : [1] 2

Unclebuck
07-21-2008, 09:49 AM
I went to the new Scholars Inn on Mass Ave over the weekend. Wow that is the coolest, classiest restaurant I have ever been too. Won't be for everyone. It is pricey - with tip it was $112.00 (for two) and we didn't have desert, or salad and each of us had only 1 drink. But if you want to impress your date - it is a great place to go. I've never seen an interior like that - hard to describe - food was excellent also. If you want to have a dinning experience that you wont soon forget, I highly recommend it.

http://www.scholarsinn.com/IndyLounge/index.html

The pictures on the website give a decent idea of what the interior looks like -

Spicoli
07-21-2008, 09:59 AM
It's a chain - but Oceannaire is pretty freaking good too, as long as someone else is paying...

Crabcakes are the real deal.

Haven't been to the Scholars Inn on Mass Ave, but have been to the original one in Bloomington several years ago. It was great too, although I imagine the Mass Ave one is now better.

btowncolt
07-21-2008, 10:14 AM
Had a great dinner Saturday.

Went to Hudson neat Dupont for drinks and an appetizer while waiting for our 9:15 dinner reservations down the street.

Then went to our dinner reservations at West End Bistro, a few blocks west of Hudson on M Street. Also pretty good - though the drinks and appetizer at the first place were actually better. Nothing a good bottle of wine didn't wash down though. Spending $300 on the evening was not ideal, but most of it wasn't my money, so I won't really complain.

http://www.hudson-dc.com/

http://www.westendbistrodc.com/

Of course, this isn't in Indianapolis - but we seem to be in the spirit of talking about nice dinners we had this weekend here.

Unclebuck
07-21-2008, 10:20 AM
It's a chain - but Oceannaire is pretty freaking good too, as long as someone else is paying...

Crabcakes are the real deal.

Haven't been to the Scholars Inn on Mass Ave, but have been to the original one in Bloomington several years ago. It was great too, although I imagine the Mass Ave one is now better.

Yeah Oceannaire is really nice - that bill for me and my date was $145.00 and once again - no dessert, I don't think either of us drank any alcohol that night. Very good.

But I liked the Scholars Inn more

Los Angeles
07-21-2008, 10:28 AM
I have an admin request - can we just have one restaurant thread? I travel a lot and sometimes get the benefit of eating in some pretty classy places (and sometimes some amazing hole-in-the-walls as well). This might be a good place to check in if someone is travelling to the same towns.

Maybe just change the title of this one to "The Restaurant Review Thread" or something?

Just a thought ...

Trader Joe
07-21-2008, 10:29 AM
The owners of St. Elmo's opened a new place right next door that I ate at, and thought it was great for lunch. Still wasn't cheap but you could eat there for a much more reasonable price.

EDIT: It's called Harry and Izzy's. It's right next door. I had the prime rib sandwich and it was delicious.

http://www.harryandizzys.com/

Another real good place isn't dowtown, but I need to plug it here because it has such a horrible location is Z's Oyster Bar and Steakhouse. http://www.zsoyster.com/
Good food, and probably the best service you will find anywhere in Indianapolis. It's location is so bad though that it never has anyone there. It is located in Castleton right where that old seafood place that turned into a mexican place used to be. You can see it if you are heading west on 465.

Los Angeles
07-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Ah - St. Elmo's.

A fairly standard steakhouse menu, and a cramped setting, but I've never had a bad meal there.

Is the Indy restaurant called The Iron Skillet still open? From what I remember, that place was awesome.

Sollozzo
07-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Shapiro's

idioteque
07-21-2008, 12:06 PM
It's not downtown, but I love Italian Gardens on 8336 E Washington St. The whole place is kind of corny aesthetically but oh my, it is some of the better Italian food I've ever had outside of Italy.

A lot of the nicer decor restaurants in DC have great settings, but the food tastes like it came from a can. The ethnic food (Ethiopian, Indonesian) is really good but it's hard to find a place that serves good, standard, American fare.

travmil
07-21-2008, 12:26 PM
I've been to most of the major steakhouses in Indy and for my money Broad Ripple Steakhouse is hard to beat. You'll spend $50 less than almost anywhere else and that's WITH drinks and desert. After that I really like Sullivan's on the northside. I've been to St. Elmo's a handful of times and while I agree that I've never had a bad meal there I never walk out feeling like it was worth THAT much more than any other steakhouse. Shula's is nice too. I've had a problem there one time, and the manager picked up the tab for our table of four and not just mine to the tune of nearly $200. I was impressed. That's the difference between high end places and everyone else. They don't want ANY bad press to get out because they KNOW you can afford to go anywhere. The Outback doesn't give a crap if you don't like your steak or not because they know if you could afford better you wouldn't even be there.

Tomorrow our boss is taking us to Fogo de Chao (http://www.fogodechao.com/locations/indianapolis.htm) for a recognition dinner. I always look forward to trying new places. I've never been before. I don't know much other than it's all you can eat and that it just opened in May. I'll make sure to report back and let everyone know.

Props to DC for mentioning Italian. Whenever these types of threads pop up I always bring up my favorite Italian joint which is Mama Carolla's on 54th street right on the Monon. Just thinking about their Rosemary Chicken Lasagna makes my mouth water.

btowncolt
07-21-2008, 12:39 PM
Mama Carolla is delicious. And her food is pretty fantastic too.

I'll be here all night, folks.

Spicoli
07-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Mama Carolla is delicious. And her food is pretty fantastic too.

I'll be here all night, folks.

Well if you're here, who's watching the basement?

Besides people with webcams?

travmil
07-22-2008, 08:49 PM
Tomorrow our boss is taking us to Fogo de Chao (http://www.fogodechao.com/locations/indianapolis.htm) for a recognition dinner. I always look forward to trying new places. I've never been before. I don't know much other than it's all you can eat and that it just opened in May. I'll make sure to report back and let everyone know.

OK we went for our dinner today. I will say the food was very good. Was it good enough for what our boss paid for it? Probably not. For those that didn't check out the link, the place is an all you can eat brazillian style steakhouse. They grill the meat on a spit and bring it out tableside. They slice it off the spit right onto your plate. They have 15 various kinds to try, and you can try them all. The best cut that I tried was most definitely the leg of lamb, but they also had filet mignon, ribeye, top and bottom sirloin, and two kinds of ribs. We went for lunch, which was $25 per person. The waitress told us that Dinner is $50 but there is no difference, the same food is offered at both times. Atmosphere was great. They decorated very well, lots of hardwoods and modern fixtures, very masculine I guess you could say. Waitstaff was excellent. Great salad bar that came with the all you can eat price. Even though the meal was overall great, I would not say it would be worth $75 for two people ($25 each plus drinks, desert, tip). It certainly wouldn't be worth $100 plus for the dinner hour. I'm glad our boss picked up the tab. It was over $900 for 23 people.

Erik
07-22-2008, 08:51 PM
It's not downtown, but I love Italian Gardens on 8336 E Washington St.
I must've went on a bad night, I had the worst Fettucini Alfredo ever there.:yuck: Ever eat at Salute at 10th & Post? It's kind of hard to recommend this place because the inside is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. The owner is kind of my Grandfather (a long time family friend). He is very set in his ways and tight with money so he skimps on certain things. Like, heating and air, good lighting, fountain soda, etc. But his food stays very traditional and he can make some awesome pasta and sauce.

Props to DC for mentioning Italian. Whenever these types of threads pop up I always bring up my favorite Italian joint which is Mama Carolla's on 54th street right on the Monon. Just thinking about their Rosemary Chicken Lasagna makes my mouth water.I tried to go there on the 4th and they were closed for renovation or something. I have heard great things and definately plan on going. Just driving past the little outside dining area in the back makes me want to go. We went to the Aristocrat instead and it turned out to be a pretty cool place.

travmil
07-22-2008, 09:18 PM
I tried to go there on the 4th and they were closed for renovation or something. I have heard great things and definately plan on going. Just driving past the little outside dining area in the back makes me want to go. We went to the Aristocrat instead and it turned out to be a pretty cool place.

Yes that's a good place to eat as well. I usually get the reuben sandwhich which rivals Shapiro's for best in Indy. They also serve an outstanding sunday brunch. We used to live at 56th and College so we know ALL of the best spots around there. Binkley's and of course Yats are other area standouts. I absolutely loved living within walking distance of Yats. Best cheap eats in the city hands down.

I wasn't aware that Mama's was closed for renovations. We haven't been since early in the year.

Erik
07-23-2008, 05:32 AM
Yes that's a good place to eat as well. I usually get the reuben sandwhich which rivals Shapiro's for best in Indy. They also serve an outstanding sunday brunch. We used to live at 56th and College so we know ALL of the best spots around there. Binkley's and of course Yats are other area standouts. I absolutely loved living within walking distance of Yats. Best cheap eats in the city hands down.

I wasn't aware that Mama's was closed for renovations. We haven't been since early in the year.
Ever try Papa Roux at 10th & Post? It's really good cajun.

DisplacedKnick
07-23-2008, 06:41 AM
I have an admin request - can we just have one restaurant thread? I travel a lot and sometimes get the benefit of eating in some pretty classy places (and sometimes some amazing hole-in-the-walls as well). This might be a good place to check in if someone is travelling to the same towns.

Maybe just change the title of this one to "The Restaurant Review Thread" or something?

Just a thought ...

I second the motion - great idea.

Unclebuck
07-23-2008, 09:45 AM
OK, I changed the title - we'll see how it goes.

Does anyone know of any good Chinese restaurants in Carmel - I have been to three different ones. One is OK, one is not good, the third is not edible.

Trader Joe
07-23-2008, 10:04 AM
The only Chinese place I've eaten at consistently in Carmel is just north of 116th and Rangeline, and I really don't like it, but my family does. The name escapes me now, but it's in the strip center that now has the Pizza Hut/WingStreet and the drug store. It has two stone lions in front of it. We really are lacking a good Chinese place in the area, so I usually just get Thai food at Sawasdee.

btowncolt
07-23-2008, 10:10 AM
McDonald's - 10/10.

Unclebuck
07-23-2008, 10:12 AM
The only Chinese place I've eaten at consistently in Carmel is just north of 116th and Rangeline, and I really don't like it, but my family does. The name escapes me now, but it's in the strip center that now has the Pizza Hut/WingStreet and the drug store. It has two stone lions in front of it. We really are lacking a good Chinese place in the area, so I usually just get Thai food at Sawasdee.

Yeah, I've been to that Chinese place twice and the first time I thought it was not good at all, the second time it wasn't edible. I won't be going back - Mandarin House - is the name.

I do not like buffets

Beijing City - is OK - nothing special though. It is located off og Greyhound pass near the panera bread, Honey Baked ham place - Kohls shopping center.

Lin's Garden - which they have changed the name to China Garden - it is at 131st and Meridian - neat the O'Malias - it is halfway decent - although I haven't been since the na,me change

Trader Joe
07-23-2008, 10:29 AM
I'm interested in trying something new for lunch today. Anyone have a recommendation for something along the Keystone corridor? I work at 82nd and Keystone.

Unclebuck
07-23-2008, 10:46 AM
I'm interested in trying something new for lunch today. Anyone have a recommendation for something along the Keystone corridor? I work at 82nd and Keystone.

I used to work in that area - what type of food are you looking for. When you say 82nd and Keystone you mean Keystone at the Crossing?

The best barbeque ribs in the city without question are available at Scotty's Brewhouse - on east 96th street.

Gyron
07-23-2008, 10:48 AM
If you are ever in Charlotte, here are a couple resturants to try in no particular order:

1. Brixx Wood Fired Pizza (several locations). Excellent wood fired pizza resturant with a good selection of microbrews too.

2. Ezee's Asian Fusion(Huntersville in Brikdale) Excellent upscale asian cuisine. Just awesome food and great service.

I'll add more later but since this is a Resturant review thread for all cities, maybe this will give places to go for different cities. I would look forward to reading of other places in other cities to go when I travel for work.

Trader Joe
07-23-2008, 10:52 AM
I used to work in that area - what type of food are you looking for. When you say 82nd and Keystone you mean Keystone at the Crossing?

The best barbeque ribs in the city without question are available at Scotty's Brewhouse - on east 96th street.

Yeah basically, a little bit South.

I've eaten at Scotty's before, never tried the ribs though.

idioteque
07-23-2008, 12:54 PM
Fellow DC-ties....Old City Cafe in Adams Morgan...is it any good?

I was walking by it yesterday and I saw they had shwarma, which brings back all kinds of Netherlands memories for me since I cooked it for myself all the time when I lived there.

travmil
07-23-2008, 01:49 PM
Indy,

Have you tried Capri? It's a bit north of the Wal Mart on Keystone behind the plaza with the Blockbuster. In fact you have to get there by going through Wal Mart's parking lot. I think their food is good, but they are pretty proud of it. A tad on the expensive side. They hand make their own spaghetti noodles. I've never been there for lunch and don't know if the menu differs or not. They prefer reservations for dinner and they are most definitely NOT kid friendly. We were not aware of that and they were not very kind when we brought our toddler.

Also if you like Chinese, I've always like the place that's across the street from Wal Mart (not in the plaza where Franks nursery used to be).

Trader Joe
07-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Are you referring to Chinese Ruby?

travmil
07-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Are you referring to Chinese Ruby?

Yes, that's the one. I couldn't think of the name off the top of my head.

travmil
07-23-2008, 02:03 PM
Ever try Papa Roux at 10th & Post? It's really good cajun.

No I haven't. I've seen it many times driving around the neighborhood and wondered. I'll have to stop in and check it out.

Trader Joe
07-23-2008, 02:03 PM
Yes, that's the one. I couldn't think of the name off the top of my head.

Yeah we went there a ton before we went over to China to adopt my first adopted sister. I think my parents were trying to be "cultured":D. It was ok, but I was like 11 or 12 and the waitresses would always creep on me so I got really turned off about going there.

Another decent Cajun place is Gumbo a Go Go at 86th and Ditch in the Blockbuster/Applebee's anchored center. It's a lot more convenient for me to go there and they have a very good Datwich and also a fantastic Beef Dubris when its being served. If you go there you have to try the voodoo chicken with some Cajun seasoning on top. It's got a lot of kick to it, but it is delcious.

travmil
07-23-2008, 02:13 PM
I think my parents were trying to be "cultured":D. One thing that people don't understand is that chinese food here is americanized. Most of the dishes here taste nothing like they do there, if they even exist at all.

Another decent Cajun place is Gumbo a Go Go at 86th and Ditch in the Blockbuster/Applebee's anchored center. It's a lot more convenient for me to go there and they have a very good Datwich and also a fantastic Beef Dubris when its being served. If you go there you have to try the voodoo chicken with some Cajun seasoning on top. It's got a lot of kick to it, but it is delcious.

I've eaten there several times. I agree that it's usually pretty good. I've never had your two recomendatiosn though, I'll have to try them out.

BTW in case nobody can tell I LOVE this thread. My wife and I love to eat out and try new places and I love to tell people about them almost as much.

Trader Joe
07-23-2008, 02:16 PM
Oh believe me, after being in China I can tell you that we have ZERO idea what is actually "Chinese" food. What is served over here is really just noodles/rice/chicken/beef/pork with some American seasoning or sauce on them.
In China, most things are still moving when you purchase them. I ate in two authentic Chinese restaurants while I was there, and all I can say is wow. Really tough to even begin describing some of the stuff they were serving.

Anyways, yeah my parents realized this pretty quickly, but they became friends with the wait staff so we went there a lot anyway.

From what I remember their buffet was actually pretty solid.

DisplacedKnick
07-23-2008, 02:19 PM

If you're up that way and enjoy Mexican, the Los Tapatios off 86th is quite good. I always get the Fajitas though so I can't speak for the rest of the menu except anyone I've taken there seems to enjoy it.

Trader Joe
07-23-2008, 02:20 PM
I'll have to try that place. I usually go to the El Rodeo off of 106th and Michigan when I want some Mexican food.

Gyron
07-23-2008, 02:22 PM
Is Sahm's up on Allisonville in Fishers still open? And is it as good as it used to be?

Their tenderloins were awesome and for app, you gotta get the carrot curls.

That is assuming its still good. I haven't been there in years.

Trader Joe
07-23-2008, 02:25 PM
Sahm's is still open. I think they may have opened another location too. I haven't eaten there in a while, but their coffee cake is pretty good as well.

And while we're discussing places in the 86th and Ditch Rd. area, I have to give a shout out to a place I already mentioned, SAWASDEE. Delicious Thai food. Go there and get the Pad Thai, Glass noodle Pad Thai, or the Drunken noodles and I guarantee you, you will leave a happy customer. Also get the soup and spring roll as your side. Delicious. Different levels of spicyness too. You can get mild for those of you might not be able to handle the heat and their hot and thai hot have a lot of spice and are downright good eatin'. Plus service is great and the owner is an old Thai man who is always on site.

DisplacedKnick
07-23-2008, 02:39 PM
I'll have to try that place. I usually go to the El Rodeo off of 106th and Michigan when I want some Mexican food.

It's in the Greenbriar Plaza near 86th & Ditch.

Unclebuck
07-23-2008, 02:56 PM
So the Chinese Ruby is good - I've driven by that place probably 500 times but have never gone inisde.

Best mexican food is La Piadad - Broad Ripple - same type of food as El Rodeo - but just better

travmil
07-23-2008, 03:16 PM
So the Chinese Ruby is good - I've driven by that place probably 500 times but have never gone inisde.

Best mexican food is La Piadad - Broad Ripple - same type of food as El Rodeo - but just better

Is that the one right by the trail just past the Brewpub?

And speaking of The Brewpub, the Beer and Cheese plate is one of my favorite appetizers ever. They make a cheese sauce with one of their beers and give you diffferent types of bread to dip in it. Awesome.

rexnom
07-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Fellow DC-ties....Old City Cafe in Adams Morgan...is it any good?

I was walking by it yesterday and I saw they had shwarma, which brings back all kinds of Netherlands memories for me since I cooked it for myself all the time when I lived there.
Never been, unfortunately. If you go, let me know how it is.

I'm debating whether I should go to Fogo this saturday with a bunch of friends for 50 bucks. Ugh...I probably won't go because of the following...

I went to the Willard Room for my girlfriend's birthday last week. It went to $200+. I had the filet. Not worth it. In the words of Vincent Vega: "That's a pretty ****ing good milkshake. I don't know if it's worth five dollars but it's pretty ****ing good." Fifty-dollar steak in my case but still, you get the point.

I love to make fun of Indianapolis but St. Elmo's still has the finest steak I've ever had. A lot of service and fancy stuff but at the end of the day even the Willard Room was classic DC - all flash and no substance. Well, some substance - for chrissakes, it was $200, but in general, I feel like I should have gotten a much better meal. And the champagne, an independent "house" brand (which I guess is supposed to be tres boheme) and was $30/glass, was eh at best. I should have just gone with some Mums.

I have yet to find an excellent non-ethnic/traditional place in DC food-wise, which is astounding. There are some good French places and some Italian but do those count?

Btw, I had Five Guys the other day for the first time and loved it. I could hear my arteries clogging but it was damn good.

Unclebuck
07-23-2008, 03:26 PM

And speaking of The Brewpub, the Beer and Cheese plate is one of my favorite appetizers ever. They make a cheese sauce with one of their beers and give you diffferent types of bread to dip in it. Awesome.

Yes it is in the little yellow house.

So is Five Guys good - really? looks like it wouldn't be. I'm not a huge hamburger eater - but sometimes it hits the spot. Is it better than Bubs in Carmel

Trader Joe
07-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Five Guys is delicious. Bub's is very good too. I could eat either one, but I think Five Guys is cheaper.

Unclebuck
07-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Best Italian in Carmel is Mangia

http://www.mangiaitalian.com/

Also love Mama Carollas and what is the one off of 86th street in Greenbriar

Trader Joe
07-23-2008, 03:39 PM
Best Italian in Indiana is Puccini's Dolce La Vita in Bloomington. I've never been to Mangia. The Italian chains in Carmel are pretty standard and they aren't outstanding but they don't really mess up either.

Unclebuck
07-23-2008, 03:46 PM
Best Italian in Indiana is Puccini's Dolce La Vita in Bloomington. I've never been to Mangia. The Italian chains in Carmel are pretty standard and they aren't outstanding but they don't really mess up either.

Mangia isn't a chain - it doesn't look like much from the outside, but it is rather nice inside.

The place in Greenbriar I was trying to think of is Amalfias - I think the owners brother runs the Capri

Trader Joe
07-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Yeah, I was just commenting more on the fact that I hadn't found a real outstanding Italian place yet in Carmel.

rexnom
07-23-2008, 03:53 PM
Five Guys is delicious. Bub's is very good too. I could eat either one, but I think Five Guys is cheaper.
There's not one in Indy, but I prefer the variety of ingredients at Fuddruckers, though just the plain, solid burger is an excellent buy at FG and the fries are better.

count55
07-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Mangia isn't a chain - it doesn't look like much from the outside, but it is rather nice inside.

The place in Greenbriar I was trying to think of is Amalfias - I think the owners brother runs the Capri

Yeah, Amalfi's...the same guy/family does Capri and used to do Arturo's.

Best deli in town is ....duh....Shapiro's, either one (downtown or Carmel).

Though I like their Shrimp Cocktail, I don't think St. Elmo's steaks are as good as either Sullivans or Petersons, though it's been years since I've been there.

Best Barbeque in town is Judge's in Haughville, and GT South's is pretty good, too. Try the corn casserole/bread at Judges.

Donuts...Longs...with Boynton's surprisingly close behind.

Pizza...I'm partial to Firehouse in Fishers, but it's a growing up in the '70's pre-fab delivery crust with the funky slice kinda thing.

Bar food-- Check the avi...Britton has great wings, pretzels, fried mac'n'cheese, and chicken cordon bleu balls....good wraps and sandwiches, too...75 cent Taco Tuesday!!!!

Italian...I like Capri, and there used to be a place in Nora called Il Gargano that was excellent, but I don't know if it's there anymore.

Erik
07-23-2008, 04:52 PM

The bbq chicken sandwich or the Ploughman's Platter:drool: That was my favorite place, I probably went there 2 or 3 times a week before I figured out that I had to give up beer.

idioteque
07-23-2008, 06:33 PM
I have yet to find an excellent non-ethnic/traditional place in DC food-wise, which is astounding. There are some good French places and some Italian but do those count?

Absolutely my thoughts. I have recently been to both Mienyu and Tony and Joe's in Georgetown. I thought Mienyu was pretty decent, but then again I ordered the Afghan 5 course sampler and the wine for each course, it was pretty good but I don't know if it was $75.00 good. Nobody else in my party was particularly enthused about the restaurant though, and it ended up being $500.00 for 5 people. I had a little bit of their salmon as well which was unimpressive: I could season it just as well at home (I love to cook). The decor was very flashy but there was, as you say, not a lot of substance.

Tony and Joe's was similar. The place tried really hard to cater to the DC elite and its spot on the waterfront is impeccable, but the food tasted like it came from a can. The decor really wasn't all that amazing either, it was more of just the good location. I had like 32 dollar or so crabcakes there that were purported to be "DC's best" and they were okay but pretty meh.

If you like or want to try West African food the Bukom Cafe in Adams Morgan is really good. I have always had a good meal there and as a white guy in there they act like I am some sort of novelty but in a good way. It gets jam packed on the weekend nights so I usually go there because it gets crazy after work and just eat some good food and shoot the **** with the bartenders.

MagicRat
07-23-2008, 06:51 PM
Have you tried Capri?

Good call.......

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showpost.php?p=201334&postcount=56

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=12776

Arcadian
07-23-2008, 07:22 PM
For those in the South Pas area. This is a good place to impress someone.

http://www.bistrodelagare.com/

rexnom
07-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Absolutely my thoughts. I have recently been to both Mienyu and Tony and Joe's in Georgetown. I thought Mienyu was pretty decent, but then again I ordered the Afghan 5 course sampler and the wine for each course, it was pretty good but I don't know if it was $75.00 good. Nobody else in my party was particularly enthused about the restaurant though, and it ended up being $500.00 for 5 people. I had a little bit of their salmon as well which was unimpressive: I could season it just as well at home (I love to cook). The decor was very flashy but there was, as you say, not a lot of substance.

Tony and Joe's was similar. The place tried really hard to cater to the DC elite and its spot on the waterfront is impeccable, but the food tasted like it came from a can. The decor really wasn't all that amazing either, it was more of just the good location. I had like 32 dollar or so crabcakes there that were purported to be "DC's best" and they were okay but pretty meh.

If you like or want to try West African food the Bukom Cafe in Adams Morgan is really good. I have always had a good meal there and as a white guy in there they act like I am some sort of novelty but in a good way. It gets jam packed on the weekend nights so I usually go there because it gets crazy after work and just eat some good food and shoot the **** with the bartenders.
The Tony and Joe's review is spot on - those crabcakes might be "DC's best" (that doesn't say a lot...). Thanks for the Bukom Cafe tip. I'm definitely going to try it. I haven't had lots of non-Ethiopian African food so I'll definitely give it a shot.

By the way, I think I've seen you mention that your girlfriend is Jamaican, what is your/her favorite Caribbean place in DC? I've been looking for some "go-to" Caribbean places.

avoidingtheclowns
07-23-2008, 08:52 PM
not to go all euro on your dc ethnic food humpfest or anything, but cafe bonaparte in georgetown is fantastic. i've only been to the sister location (napoleon bistro in adams morgan) once but it seems equally reliable. if you go, try the budapest crepe. marseille is high quality too.

there is a kickass lamb dip sandwich at a place called fado just down the street from NPR me and a couple of friends/co-workers have become obsessed with.

re: five guys -- sweet unholy mercy, you can literally feel it destroying your heart with each obscenely delicious bite.

some of the last few things on my open table account:

acadiana is pretty good n'awlins cuisine but pricey.

rasika upscale indian. i didn't enjoy what i had but others have enjoyed it quite a bit. i tend to prefer stuff in Adams Morgan.

aria trattoria -- meh. it wasn't bad but it certainly wasn't anything special.

georgia browns, good stuff. southern influenced comfort food type menu.

tunnicliff's tavern solid not all that special.

question for DC people: anyone try the belga cafe in eastern market?

btowncolt
07-23-2008, 08:56 PM
Belga cafe has a delicious brunch. I haven't tried it for any other meal yet.

MagicRat
07-23-2008, 09:30 PM
Just got back from Peterson's.

The sesame tuna special was outstanding.......

Stryder
07-23-2008, 10:21 PM
OK we went for our dinner today. I will say the food was very good. Was it good enough for what our boss paid for it? Probably not. For those that didn't check out the link, the place is an all you can eat brazillian style steakhouse. They grill the meat on a spit and bring it out tableside. They slice it off the spit right onto your plate. They have 15 various kinds to try, and you can try them all. The best cut that I tried was most definitely the leg of lamb, but they also had filet mignon, ribeye, top and bottom sirloin, and two kinds of ribs. We went for lunch, which was $25 per person. The waitress told us that Dinner is $50 but there is no difference, the same food is offered at both times. Atmosphere was great. They decorated very well, lots of hardwoods and modern fixtures, very masculine I guess you could say. Waitstaff was excellent. Great salad bar that came with the all you can eat price. Even though the meal was overall great, I would not say it would be worth $75 for two people ($25 each plus drinks, desert, tip). It certainly wouldn't be worth $100 plus for the dinner hour. I'm glad our boss picked up the tab. It was over $900 for 23 people.

I was actually part of the first group to ever eat in Indy's Fogo de Chao. I had a great time. Probably not worth the full price, but damn, I loved the lamb...and the bacon wrapped chicken was excellent...

Unclebuck
07-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Just got back from Peterson's.

The sesame tuna special was outstanding.......

The food is very good, but I wasn't a huge fan of the atmosphere - too stuffy, too formal

Peck
07-23-2008, 10:43 PM
suprsingly one of the best bbq places I've ever been to is right here in Indianapolis.

http://www.squealersbbq.biz/index.php

These are the guys who win at Rib America a lot and at other bbq competitions.

The bbq is not as good at the restraunt as it is when they are competing, however it is about as good as any place I've been to for bbq.

Unclebuck
07-24-2008, 09:24 AM
suprsingly one of the best bbq places I've ever been to is right here in Indianapolis.

http://www.squealersbbq.biz/index.php

These are the guys who win at Rib America a lot and at other bbq competitions.

The bbq is not as good at the restraunt as it is when they are competing, however it is about as good as any place I've been to for bbq.

I've driven by that place many times and wondered if it was any good. I'll have to try it

Doug
07-24-2008, 10:00 AM
I ate at Peterson's once, and was very disappointed.

The food - steaks - were just OK.

But the waiter was an ***. Just as arrogant as could be.

Just because you know steaks and wine, doesn't mean that you know everything. And even if you're Stephen Hawking, you're the waiter, I'm the customer.

Don't try to convince me that Guinness in the bottle is 'just as good' as draft. I know some Irish guys who'd kill you and leave you in a ditch for even suggesting it.

Trader Joe
07-24-2008, 10:37 AM
Guinness in the bottle is made differently from draft Guinness I believe. I think I read that somewhere. Then again that was probably false.

idioteque
07-24-2008, 10:57 AM
By the way, I think I've seen you mention that your girlfriend is Jamaican, what is your/her favorite Caribbean place in DC? I've been looking for some "go-to" Caribbean places.

Understandably since she's lived 18 of her 25 years in Jamaica she is kind of picky about Caribbean food here..but she has told me repeatedly that a place called "Sweet Mango's" is the best followed by another place called Spicy Delights, which is really just a hole in the wall takeout place while in SM you can sit down. Sweet Mango's is definately the most authentic, though. Negril isn't bad either, but a lot of people that work there are Hispanic, and I mean this is the most PC way possible, but their influence (most of them weren't born in the US) spills over to the preparation of the dishes so it's not as authentic as the other places.

I don't know the exact addresses but I have been to all those places and they are easy to find via a Yahoo or Google search.

rexnom
07-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Understandably since she's lived 18 of her 25 years in Jamaica she is kind of picky about Caribbean food here..but she has told me repeatedly that a place called "Sweet Mango's" is the best followed by another place called Spicy Delights, which is really just a hole in the wall takeout place while in SM you can sit down. Sweet Mango's is definately the most authentic, though. Negril isn't bad either, but a lot of people that work there are Hispanic, and I mean this is the most PC way possible, but their influence (most of them weren't born in the US) spills over to the preparation of the dishes so it's not as authentic as the other places.

I don't know the exact addresses but I have been to all those places and they are easy to find via a Yahoo or Google search.
Sweet Mango's sounds familiar...I'm definitely going to try those places out - I have been craving Caribbean and oxtail in specific lately...

idioteque
07-24-2008, 12:06 PM
Sweet Mango's sounds familiar...I'm definitely going to try those places out - I have been craving Caribbean and oxtail in specific lately...

Actually had some oxtail from Negril last night- it was really good and according to her one of the best things on their menu.

Stryder
07-24-2008, 08:47 PM
I'll be in Washington DC next week. And I will have lots of free time. I need some good steak houses, some good italian places, or even seafood...

Also, any other things to do (other than the normal stuff, i.e. Monuments, Memorials, Museums, etc.)... ???

travmil
07-25-2008, 08:56 PM
I went over and tried out Papa Roux's tonight as suggested by Erik earlier. I got the muffaletta po' boy and my wife got the pork po' boy. Both were very good. I wanted a shrimp po' boy but they were out of shrimp already. Something weird (in a good way), their waiter is the owner's 10 year old son...and he's good. Definitely worth a look. We'll be returning.

Peck
07-25-2008, 09:18 PM
Ok if you don't mind a little bit of a drive up to Lebanon this place is out of this world good as well. Not as good as squeelers but it is very suprising that this is in Lebanon.

They have the absolute best corn chowder I have ever had.

http://www.parkyssmokehouse.com/Parkys_Home.html

Unclebuck
07-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Went to Stir Crazy over thre weekend. Very similar to PF Chang's. But I like PF, so I like Stir Crazy a lot. For Chinese it isn't cheap though. - Each entree was $13.25 and the portions weren't huge like a lot of the smaller chinese places - but I enjoyed it

travmil
07-28-2008, 09:58 AM
Went to Stir Crazy over thre weekend. Very similar to PF Chang's. But I like PF, so I like Stir Crazy a lot. For Chinese it isn't cheap though. - Each entree was $13.25 and the portions weren't huge like a lot of the smaller chinese places - but I enjoyed it

We went to the one in Grenwood shortly after it opened and were less than impressed. I suppose we could have gotten them on a bad night, but I doubt we ever give them a chance to try again. I too was disappointed by the portion size for the price. I'm fine with small portions as long as the price matches. Even so, I thought the taste of the food that was there was actually pretty bland. We also had a bad watiress who kept letting our drinks go dry and pouted to her manager when we didn't tip her because of it. The manager asked us why and we told him. He said that they were very busy and we "drank too fast". Yes he seriously said that.

Trader Joe
07-28-2008, 02:18 PM
RE: Stir Crazy

I went to the one in Castleton about a month ago, and I thought it was average at best. I got the Pad Thai and it was incredibly bland and had NO spice to it at all. In fact it was pretty sweet or sugary. It just didn't have any kick to it.

Also, I used to like PF Chang's a lot, but now everything there taste the same to me so I don't find it as good anymore.

Unclebuck
07-28-2008, 10:44 PM

I went to the one in Castleton about a month ago, and I thought it was average at best. I got the Pad Thai and it was incredibly bland and had NO spice to it at all. In fact it was pretty sweet or sugary. It just didn't have any kick to it.

Also, I used to like PF Chang's a lot, but now everything there taste the same to me so I don't find it as good anymore.

That is weird, I had the exact same thing yesterday, and I was commenting how it did have a little kick to it. Thought it was very good. My favorite Chinese place is Bei Jing - 79th and Fall Creek. Their Garlic Chicken is excellent - but i think everything is really good there. But generally their food isn't very hot, so if you like it hot tell them and they will do that for you

Trader Joe
07-29-2008, 08:24 AM
Well, maybe I just got a bad batch. I might try it again. Like I said I did think it was horrible and we tried some of the appetizers as well which were pretty good.

I'm just an authentic guy I guess, so my Pad Thai standards are high from going to places like Sawasdee, Esan Thai, etc. Both of those places are run by Thai families and it shows up in their food.

I honestly thought Noodles and Company Pad Thai had more kick than the Stir Crazy Pad Thai, and Noodles and Co. is pretty mild.

Unclebuck
07-29-2008, 08:32 AM
Well, maybe I just got a bad batch. I might try it again. Like I said I did think it was horrible and we tried some of the appetizers as well which were pretty good.

I'm just an authentic guy I guess, so my Pad Thai standards are high from going to places like Sawasdee, Esan Thai, etc. Both of those places are run by Thai families and it shows up in their food.

I honestly thought Noodles and Company Pad Thai had more kick than the Stir Crazy Pad Thai, and Noodles and Co. is pretty mild.

You are probably right, Sawasdee is probably better for Thai - their food is good - but the location isn't good for me and the interior of that place is a little strange. Overall for Thai I like the Thai cafe in Broad Ripple better.

Have you ever been to the Jasmine on 96th street - I never have

Spicoli
07-29-2008, 10:29 AM
I went to the Taco Bell off of West 3rd St. in Bloomington yesterday. The menu was remarkably similar to the other TB's I've been to all across the Midwest. I can't remark too much on the interior dining experience as I purchased my meal from the drive-up window and ate from the comfort of my couch and coffee table.

I had the Nachos Bell Grande and a couple of beef meximelts without that horrible fiesta sauce. I would say it was quite tasty, although they were way too generous in their portion of refried beans on the nachos. The beans seemed to dominate the entire entree. I have had better at other Taco Bells. They also forgot to give me a spork. However, they did make up for it in perfectly hot and melted meximelts. They even fulfilled my request of not adding that nasty sauce on them, which 3 times out of 10 they screw up.

Overall, I'd give the experience a solid 4 bean burritos out of 5. Also, I have gas today.

Trader Joe
07-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Going to Kona Jack's for lunch today. Haven't been there in a couple years.

count55
07-29-2008, 10:42 AM
Going to Kona Jack's for lunch today. Haven't been there in a couple years.

Ahi Taco...mmmm

They have good lemon cake, too.

clownskull
07-30-2008, 02:08 AM
hmm, lots of restaurants to pick from. i will say that I've been to Chicago several times and my bro lives close to Wrigley and there is a place nearby called toons. they have a killer spicy smoked turkey burger plus i added some toppings like lettuce,red onion and jalapeņos. i got some fries with it and was impressed by the portions plus, the price was quite reasonable.

back home in Bloomington, i really like the the great wall Chinese buffet. the food quality has been consistently impressive and i eat there probably once or twice a month (can't do it much more or i would probably pop).
i would however, strongly advise against eating at china buffet in eastland plaza. that place is pretty disgusting. i wonder how they manage not to get shut down by the board of health. aside from finding unclean glasses and silverware when i'd go there, i even saw workers there do stuff that must be a violation like put food that has fallen from one tray that they were loading onto the buffet table into another tray of different food and they took it out and put it into the intended tray. plus the old it fell out of the tray and is now on the buffet table itself and they put it back in. the place is simply filthy in my book.

Unclebuck
07-30-2008, 01:30 PM
Anyone been to a pizza place that is located at 96th and College - Tomato Pie

ChicagoJ
07-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Was at Palomino in Circle Center this weekend.

The meal was good. And since they have the best iced tea on the planet, I never order drinks there (so it keeps the tab semi-reasonable).

Spicoli
07-30-2008, 03:44 PM
Doesn't Palomino serve that rasberry iced tea stuff?

I'm an iced tea purist, no flavoring or sugar for me. :D

btowncolt
07-30-2008, 03:58 PM
I miss Palomino.

Gyron
07-30-2008, 04:04 PM
I ate at Baby Tony's New York Pizza in Merietta, GA Monday. That is the best damn New York Style pizza I have ever had.

idioteque
07-30-2008, 04:28 PM
I ate at Baby Tony's New York Pizza in Merietta, GA Monday. That is the best damn New York Style pizza I have ever had.

Is that the same thing as Marietta Georgia?

Gyron
07-31-2008, 07:56 AM
Yeah, I just couldn't spell......:)

MagicRat
07-31-2008, 10:05 PM
Dinner tonight was at Mack Daddy's Seafood Grill. I highly recommend the shrimp and grits.......

Trader Joe
07-31-2008, 10:38 PM
Anybody else ever eat at Smee's Place at 86th and Ditch? They have a really solid steak sandwich and some delicious cole slaw.

Raoul Duke
08-01-2008, 10:14 AM

PF Chang's is going downhill. The portions are significantly smaller (which seems to be happening everywhere) and they are getting way too heavy on the sauce. It's still good though.

Gyron
08-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Presbyterian Hospital Charlotte Cafeteria.

For a hospital, the food was actually pretty good.

count55
08-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Presbyterian Hospital Charlotte Cafeteria.

For a hospital, the food was actually pretty good.

Well, if we're going to Charlotte, then ya gotta throw in:

Sushi 101
Vinnie's Raw Bar
Rodi's (Gastonia)

count55
08-01-2008, 12:14 PM
Anybody else ever eat at Smee's Place at 86th and Ditch? They have a really solid steak sandwich and some delicious cole slaw.

Yeah...I actually used to hang around with one of the Smehuyzens' (sp?) in college...played a lot of pickup bball with him in the late '80's. I think that belongs to one of his brothers.

Haven't been there since I worked at Macmillan in the mid-to-late 90's, but it was a pretty good place...always packed.

Gyron
08-01-2008, 12:35 PM
Well, if we're going to Charlotte, then ya gotta throw in:

Sushi 101
Vinnie's Raw Bar
Rodi's (Gastonia)

I live in Charlotte, so most of my reviews will be from here.

All of those you posted are good though.

Spent many a nights in Vinnie's.

Also try Momma Fu's Noodle House for some fast Thai.
Russon's in the Park Road Neighborhood for some excellent sushi.
Brixx Wood Fired Pizza(several locations)
Kim's Kitchen in Stanley(good home cooking)
RO's Barbecue in Gastonia(Eastern Carolina style BBQ)

Doug
08-01-2008, 12:43 PM
BTW, Spicoli, that was pretty funny

travmil
08-01-2008, 02:45 PM
BTW, Spicoli, that was pretty funny

Yes it was. He sealed an already solid post with the "generous portion of refried beans" and the "also I have gas today" connection. Well played. We were getting a tad serious here weren't we?

Spicoli
08-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Honestly, I was most ticked off about the lack of a spork. That is critical when ordering a Nachos Bell Grande. In hindsight, that should have taken the rating down to 3.5

DisplacedKnick
08-01-2008, 02:56 PM
Yes it was. He sealed an already solid post with the "generous portion of refried beans" and the "also I have gas today" connection. Well played. We were getting a tad serious here weren't we?

I loved this line:

They also forgot to give me a spork.

Erik
08-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Jockamo's Pizza on E.Washington in Irvington is pretty good. It's alot like Bazbeaux, but I think it's just a little better. They have a parmesan dipping sauce that is excellent.

ChicagoJ
08-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Doesn't Palomino serve that rasberry iced tea stuff?

I'm an iced tea purist, no flavoring or sugar for me. :D

I don't know what the flavor is, but it is unsweetened.

Maggianno's/ Corner Barkery's black currant iced team is the best Chicago has to offer.

idioteque
08-04-2008, 07:02 PM
I don't know if they have Noodle & Company in Indy, it's a chain that's pretty popular in the DC/MD/VA area.

If anyone else has ever had it, is it just me or are the portion sizes incredibly small?

btowncolt
08-04-2008, 07:12 PM
Went to Rasika in Chinatown this last weekend. Very good Indian food. No sporks.

http://www.rasikarestaurant.com/

Los Angeles
08-04-2008, 08:02 PM
Was in New York for a couple of weeks. The people I stayed with were both vegetarian (one is even vegan), and are both servers at high-class Vegan restaurants. I ate at both:

PURE Food and Wine, Union Square, Manhattan.
http://www.purefoodandwine.com/

You know the scene in Sex and the City when Samantha meets Smith for the first time? He's working in a "raw" restaurant, which is short for vegan (no animal products whatsoever) and nothing cooked over 120 degrees (meaning nothing is "softened" or otherwise chemically altered by heat).

The cocktails were quite wonderful, made from unfiltered Saki and various fruits and flowers. I ordered a caesar salad and didn't even miss the cheese or the anchovy flavor. There was some sort of sliced nut stuff that replicated parmesan nicely.

The entree was OK, (some kind of tamale) but nothing to write home about. The portion was so tiny I could have put it in my shirt pocket.

Then the bill came. There were three of us and the bill was $325.

At least I could say that I had been there.

Candle 79, Upper East Side, Manhattan
http://www.candlecafe.com/

Now this was more like it. Everything was local and organic and they had probably the best BBQ seitan I've ever tasted. Plus, they had beer and a comparatively substantial wine list for not too much money. The deserts were Absolutely Amazing. I'm using capital letters so you know I mean it. I couldn't believe they could make desert so rich and decadent without using eggs or dairy of any kind. Bill for 1: $60.

Moral of the story: Yes the celebs go to Pure, but if you really want a feast and a great environment for half the money, go to Candle 79. I wish there were one near my house.

idioteque
08-04-2008, 08:40 PM
http://amandamc.blogspot.com/2008/04/coming-soon-commonwealth.html

I live like three blocks from this brand new restaurant in DC that I am going to try to drag Mrs. DC to this weekend. We live in a gentrifying neighborhood so I try to support the local businesses that are being put in place.

I am going to try this place out and keep an open mind, but I have some problems with it before even going.

1. I've been to England many a time, and the local fare is nothing to write home about. Having a restaurant boasting a British cuisine is like having a fashion show based off of Bentonville, Arkansas high fashion.

2. The restaurant is called Commonwealth, the "People's Gastropub" as if it is some sort of hotbed for communist activity. I just can't see Stalin or Mao shucking out 16 bucks for fish and chips.

idioteque
08-04-2008, 08:42 PM
The entree was OK, (some kind of tamale) but nothing to write home about. The portion was so tiny I could have put it in my shirt pocket.

Then the bill came. There were three of us and the bill was $325.

Man, this place must bring in a hell of a profit.

ChicagoJ
08-04-2008, 10:49 PM
Man, this place must bring in a hell of a profit.

Nah. They're paying rent for a nice location in Manhattan.

I've had a $22 bacon cheeeseburger in a dive deli in Times Square.

Trader Joe
08-05-2008, 12:42 AM
I don't know if they have Noodle & Company in Indy, it's a chain that's pretty popular in the DC/MD/VA area.

If anyone else has ever had it, is it just me or are the portion sizes incredibly small?

They have them in Indy. I'd say the portion sizes are average.

count55
08-06-2008, 05:50 PM

Hit "Vinnie's on the Lake" last night...it was pretty much the same as Vinnie's downtown...then hit Joel's Asian Grill for a little sushi...finished the evening at the "Rusty Rudder"...still recovering.

Trader Joe
08-06-2008, 11:07 PM
Went to Paula Deen's restaurant in Savannah, GA tonight. Had the crab stew, fried shrimp and oysters, and a lemonade to drink. Had key lime pie for dessert. The crab stew was excellent. The shrimp and oysters were good, but nothing special. The lemonade was very good. The key lime pie was very good, but not very tart. It was more sweet.

The eating in Hilton Head has been very good. We've gone to a lot of different places so far. Best clam chowder I've had was at a place called the Skillet. Had some very good cheesecake at the local Hilton Head diner. Had lobster macaroni and cheese at a place called Frankie Bone's. It was different, but good.
Went to a wings place called Wild Wings cafe on Sunday night. Little did we know it is the place for all the Redskins fans to gather. The food was good, but we waited almost a hour and a half for a table so it really wasn't worth it.

count55
08-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Lotus in Gastonia, NC. Eclectic menu, including steaks, seafood, sushi, etc. I sampled the spider roll, spicy tuna roll...the best was the crab ngiri...outstanding.

Had Pork Tenderloin saltimbocca...delicious.

Unclebuck
08-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Went to Tomato Pie for lunch yesterday. (located at 96th and College) Southern Italy pizza is how they advertise it. Crust is about as thin as you can get it - which I liked. The flavor of the pizza was good -but overall it wasn't nearly as good as places like Puchini's, Some Guys, or Bazbeaux.

Perhaps, I didn't get the type of pizza they are best at - I just got a pepperoni - maybe one of their speciality pizzas are better.

Overall, I won't be going back anytime soon - but maybe in 4 or 5 months, I might try it again.

Gyron
08-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Hit "Vinnie's on the Lake" last night...it was pretty much the same as Vinnie's downtown...then hit Joel's Asian Grill for a little sushi...finished the evening at the "Rusty Rudder"...still recovering.

What are you doing in my neck of the woods? You are literally hanging around my area. My best friend lives in the aprartments next to the Rusty Rudder.

Gyron
08-07-2008, 12:13 PM
I was back in Atlanta yesterday.

Baby Tommy's New York Pizza again! I love that place. Its on Cobb Parkway out about a mile past the airforce base.

Excellent Pizza. Tried the Chiken Bacon Ranch Pizza yesterday. VERY VERY good.

count55
08-07-2008, 03:44 PM
What are you doing in my neck of the woods? You are literally hanging around my area. My best friend lives in the aprartments next to the Rusty Rudder.

I have a plant in King's Mountain (Grover, actually). My former company had a plant in Charlotte, near 77 & Harris Blvd on Old Statesville road. I went out with one of my former co-workers Tuesday night, and could've used an apartment next to the Rusty Rudder because the 45 mile drive back to my hotel at 1:30 in the morning wasn't the best experience I've ever had.

Gyron
08-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Well, I would say during Pacers season if you're down here, we could go watch a game, but the lielyhood of finding a pacers game on TV here is slim to none. Scratch that, its negative slim to none........Unless they are playing the Boobcats.....

Trader Joe
08-07-2008, 04:07 PM
Ate at the Salty Dog Cafe today. It was alright. Not worth the pain in the *** to find parking though.

DisplacedKnick
08-07-2008, 06:37 PM
If you get to Frankfort and want Mexican I can recommend Los Tres Hermanos and La Pasidita. LTH is actually a grocery store but they make a mean burrito and a pretty good taco. The Torte's and taco's at La Pasidita are very good.

Not fine dining - just food.

count55
08-07-2008, 10:35 PM
'nother one in Charlotte:

eeZ Fusion & Sushi (lotta sushi this week...go figure) Had the kani nigiri and they have a "make your own stir fry" that's kind of like a Mongolian BBQ.

It's in Huntersville at the Birkdale Village. Oh, and the "scenery" was very nice on a balmy North Carolina evening.

rexnom
08-08-2008, 08:53 AM
Went to Rasika in Chinatown this last weekend. Very good Indian food. No sporks.

http://www.rasikarestaurant.com/
Went here last night solely based off of your review. Loved it, my South Asian gf loved it. Good times all around. Thanks. The puri was excellent, as were the lamb chops.

avoidingtheclowns
08-08-2008, 08:58 AM
hmmm i guess i should go back and try something else. i wasn't all that thrilled with what i got at rasika but i guess i should give it another chance.

Gyron
08-08-2008, 01:41 PM
'nother one in Charlotte:

eeZ Fusion & Sushi (lotta sushi this week...go figure) Had the kani nigiri and they have a "make your own stir fry" that's kind of like a Mongolian BBQ.

It's in Huntersville at the Birkdale Village. Oh, and the "scenery" was very nice on a balmy North Carolina evening.

One of my favorite resturants. And Birkdale is a place we spend a lot of time in. Lots of good scenery.

Naptown_Seth
08-10-2008, 07:30 PM
I went to the new Scholars Inn on Mass Ave over the weekend. Wow that is the coolest, classiest restaurant I have ever been too. Won't be for everyone. It is pricey - with tip it was $112.00 (for two) and we didn't have desert, or salad and each of us had only 1 drink. But if you want to impress your date - it is a great place to go. I've never seen an interior like that - hard to describe - food was excellent also. If you want to have a dinning experience that you wont soon forget, I highly recommend it.

http://www.scholarsinn.com/IndyLounge/index.html

The pictures on the website give a decent idea of what the interior looks like -
My buddy's company did some of the wall hangings for the place. However I will also add for those that are sensitive to such situations that on the weekends we've noted that it attracts a crowd that is mostly interested in dating other men. On the flipside if that is your thing then consider that something of a recommendation.

Frankly I find it slightly gay-snob mixed with the Beetlejuice house post-remodeling. A bit too trendy for my taste. The pricing coincides with that. I'm more likely to go to Chattam Tap for a drink at this point. However I've yet to eat there so I can't address that.

Some other places we eat from time to time.

If you like Scottish food or just want to do some Scotch tasting then try McNivens on Mass Ave closer toward town.

Oceanaire - can't go wrong there

Mo's, A place for steaks - another pricey but worth it place. Solid service

Mortons - most people know what they are getting with them, pricey but typically solid.

Mikado - I always get the Shashimi tunu which come in high quality thick slices, but it's a great overall sushi place. Good service

Weber Grill - I know one of the main chefs there so I'm biased. Not everything they have is to my taste but I do enjoy their meatloaf. So far I've been really impressed with the service too.

Harry and Izzys - I'm torn on it. This is the off-shoot of St. Elmo's and it's slightly less pricey and certainly has an interesting layout, but it's not made a great impression up till now on me.

Rock Bottom - I really like RB personally, but as a chain most people are familiar with their microbrews and pub-style dinners. Good mid-level price.

Dunaways - used to be better than St Elmo IMO but I've had a few experiences that were just blah. Could be the staff at the time, who knows. I need to check back. Rooftop dining with one of the best angles of the city.

The Ram is standard pub dining not unlike Rock Bottom but we still like it at times. However the service usually sucks when we go.

Over on the canal there are two new places and I can at least recommend one for modest prices and killer view.
CREATION CAFE. Sit outside and enjoy the view of the canal/downtown. Get entrees in the 10-15 range. Moderate cost drinks.

There is a more formal place right above it but the name escapes me. Both are at the north end of the canal down around 10th street right by the Clarian building. You can park on 10th for free or wherever your favorite canal parking is if you like to walk before/after your dinner. We walked from home when we went.

For near canal (Indy Ave/Senate I think)
I've yet to eat at Bourbon Street but it always looks like a good time for the people sitting outside for dinner, especially when they have a little live music going. Usually some upbeat jazz or swing from what I can tell.

Naptown_Seth
08-10-2008, 07:39 PM

Wouldn't you know it, I met my wife for lunch the other day and went there for the first time. Got the chicken. I hadn't read this thread yet.

Mama Carolla's is fine, but usually nuts and crowded.

Brewpub - I'm just meh about the cheese and bread but everyone else I know loves it.

We did the run up to Bonge's near Anderson. If you haven't been, you get a reservation but they have no area for pre-meal gathering, so people just tailgate in the parking lot. Bring your own appetizers and drinks, plus lawn chairs. Sit in a gravel parking lot and BS while you wait for your reservation to come up. Sounds odd but it works. Food is a bit pricey but no more than most nice places. Menu is LIMITED to the extreme, about 5 appetizers, 7-8 entrees, no subs on anything, but what they do serve is excellent.

Naptown_Seth
08-10-2008, 07:45 PM

On a Charlotte note, my favorite Palm so far is the one in Charlotte. When my dad and uncle still lived there we'd go all the time. I was excited when I got to Houston and they had one but it wasn't the same. Vegas was even worse.

But you and Count as supposed to be doing exclusives on all the fish farms for the best blackened fish. :)

LG33
08-10-2008, 07:49 PM
There's this local joint in my neighborhood where you can eat good called Applebees. There's this framed and autographed photo of the retired basketball coach from the high school. Real unique place. ****ty food though.

Trader Joe
08-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Weber Grill meatloaf is freakin' delicious.

MagicRat
08-10-2008, 11:12 PM
Had LaRosa's at King's Island and a Montgomery Inn BBQ pork sandwich at Great American Ball Park. Both pretty good.......

Robertmto
08-11-2008, 08:27 AM
Had Abuelo's for lunch the other day. Its a mexican joint up in Traders Point. Pretty damn good. Can't beat the 5.95 lunch specials, pretty good portion sizes, and i enjoyed the guacamole.

Trader Joe
08-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Abuelo's is really hit or miss.

Robertmto
08-11-2008, 08:30 AM
Well I had the Guillo Grande Burrito (or something of that nature) and it was a hit.

Trader Joe
08-11-2008, 08:33 AM
I might try that next time. I got the enchiladas last time I was there and they were pretty awful.

Robertmto
08-11-2008, 09:13 AM
My girlfriend got the Chicken Chimichanga, said she enjoyed that as well

Unclebuck
08-11-2008, 09:15 AM
The time I went to Abuelo's, I was less than impressed. Maybe I was expecting too much - I mean it was good, but I expected it to be very good and it wasn't

Unclebuck
08-11-2008, 09:27 AM
My buddy's company did some of the wall hangings for the place. However I will also add for those that are sensitive to such situations that on the weekends we've noted that it attracts a crowd that is mostly interested in dating other men. On the flipside if that is your thing then consider that something of a recommendation.

Frankly I find it slightly gay-snob mixed with the Beetlejuice house post-remodeling. A bit too trendy for my taste. The pricing coincides with that. I'm more likely to go to Chattam Tap for a drink at this point. However I've yet to eat there so I can't address that.

The table we sat at, we felt like we were the only people in the place - it is very private and romantic - seems like most of the tables are the same. And after dinner they took us for a tour and the large table upstairs is unbelievable and the outdoor area is very classy. To be honest I didn't notice the other customers there as i was overloaded with the decor

Gyron
08-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Went to the Pita Pit in Downtown Charlotte Saturday night.

Awesome pitas. Would definitely go there again.

Went to Toast Cafe in Huntersville, which for a long time has been our favorite breakfast /Brunch resturant.
Had ****ty service, and the screwed up my wife's meal and son's pancake(burned). My food was unbelievably good. I'm sure we'll give them another try, but I'm very disappointed in a place that has been one of our favorite resturants for a few years now. Maybe they were just having a bad day.....They have been known for the excellent service and great food since they opened 3 years ago. I hope it was just a fluke.

Unclebuck
08-11-2008, 01:22 PM
There is a Pita Pit on West 86th street here in Indy

ChicagoJ
08-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Had LaRosa's at King's Island ...

Memories...

Every time we get a pizza at Great America, we complain that it is, "nothing like the LaRosa's pizza at King's Island." That's some first-class amusement park grease right there!

:cry:

Trader Joe
08-13-2008, 06:47 PM
I went to Stir Crazy for a second time today. I got the Pad Thai again and while I would now say it was a solid noodle dish, I don't really think of it as Pad Thai. It has no spice and it is more of a sweet sauce. Plus the tofu is cut too big IMO.

Our appetizer though was absolutely fantastic. We got the chicken imperial rolls. Now they only give you three so it might be wise to order two for future reference, but they are awesome. THink oversized Vietnamese spring rolls, but then you take a leaf of lettuce and roll it up in there. Kind of like lettuce wraps, but the fried roll creates a different taste/texture and it is really, really good. I would go back just for those

Naptown_Seth
08-14-2008, 12:59 PM
Side note on King's Island, post Paramount connection it's kinda lame. You wouldn't think a theme would help but stuff like Tomb Raider as "The Crypt" with a bunch of the ambiance items removed kinda ruined it a little.

Plus they have that whole area blocked off for construction of the new ride.

Since86
08-14-2008, 04:19 PM
Side note on King's Island, post Paramount connection it's kinda lame. You wouldn't think a theme would help but stuff like Tomb Raider as "The Crypt" with a bunch of the ambiance items removed kinda ruined it a little.

Plus they have that whole area blocked off for construction of the new ride.

That ride sucks anyways, no big loss.

Unclebuck
08-19-2008, 02:16 PM
First time at Mellow Mushroom Pizza in Carmel - 116th and Keystone.

It was OK, better than Dominos, Pizza Hut, Papa Johns - but no where nearly as good as Bazbeaux, Some Guys or Puchini's.

Word of caution - the Pepperoni is extremely greasy - I would never get that again.

So overall it is OK - but nothing special - probably won't go back - unless I'm with someone who really wants to go. Rather expensive, although a little goes a long way.

Spicoli
08-19-2008, 02:29 PM
I went to Taco Bell again.

They remembered the spork!!

Gyron
08-19-2008, 02:37 PM
Kims Kitchen Stanley, NC Again, great cooking.

Unclebuck
08-19-2008, 03:45 PM
My favorite Chinese place is Beijing Chinese Restaurant
- 79th and Fall Creek road. (I think I've been to every Chinese place on the north side of Indy, Carmel, Fishers.... and that is my favorite. Mainly just take out - there are a few tables inside.

The hot and spicy isn't very hot, so if you like it hot, you should ask for extra hot, but if you like things just a little hot then you'll be fine.

travmil
08-20-2008, 01:09 PM
I went to Taco Bell again.

They remembered the spork!!

You've renewed my faith. Maybe I will try Stir Crazy again.

Erik
08-25-2008, 06:10 PM
I've never had Beef Wellington. Anyone know of a good place in Indy to get one?

Unclebuck
08-26-2008, 08:39 AM
I went to Stir Crazy again on Saturday (after liking it so much the first time) wow what a difference a couple of weeks can make. The food almost tasted like it was from a different restaurant - everything was extremely salty and had a strange taste.

Not too sure what to make of it now

Trader Joe
08-26-2008, 12:55 PM
It's a hit or miss place for sure. I've been there three times, the only thing that has been good every time was the chicken imperial rolls. Otherwise, I'd say it is mostly miss.

Unclebuck
09-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Monical's Pizza. Just opened in Carmel, Traders Point, Fisher's and Avon.

Actually it is very good and I am rather picky when it comes to pizza. Be sure to get the thin though that is their specialty and it was excellent, their pan pizza I didn't like too well.

Gyron
09-02-2008, 02:20 PM
Showmar's, Huntersville, NC. Had thier Fish (Canadian Flounder) Pita and Onion Rings for the first time. Excellent.

Yoshi's Grill-Sushi and Habachi Steak. Excellent as always.

Papa John's Pizza-Meh.

Doug
09-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Monical's Pizza. Just opened in Carmel, Traders Point, Fisher's and Avon.

Actually it is very good and I am rather picky when it comes to pizza. Be sure to get the thin though that is their specialty and it was excellent, their pan pizza I didn't like too well.

I grew up with Monical's. It was kind of the central Illinois equivalent of Pizza King, just not nearly as widespread.

I remember going up to Tuscola with the family, having the thin crust pizza, pitchers! of pop, and scrounging up some money for the jukebox (Fly Like an Eagle sticks in my mind as one of the frequent choices).

I think I've only had their pan pizza once - the thin is much, much better as you said.

Doddage
09-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Kabob Korner in Castleton.

If you like Mediterranean Food, it's worth a check-out. I had the ground beef kabob, which came with rice and pita bread pieces. The meal filled me up, and I also had their soup ("Aush") before the meal. I've had that kind of soup before homemade, and the one there was pretty good in its own right. They had a very hot kind of sauce, not sure what it was, that I got at their condiment stand and I added it to my meal. It served its purpose, suffice to say, but if you like a spicy kick added to your food (like I do), it's the way to go.

Unclebuck
09-08-2008, 03:14 PM
I highly recommend Mangia Italian restaurant in Carmel.

Food was very high quality - just excellent

Gyron
09-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Hickory Tavern-Excellent Tavern Food.
Charlotte, NC by the way.

Big Al's Pub
Best Buffalo Wings in Charlotte. I was at the cornelius location for the Buffalo-Seattle game. Its a bills backer bar. CRAZY!!!! Ton's of fun as long as you are cheering for Bufflo.

I feel for anyone who walks in wearing anything but buffalo gear during a game. But the food was FABULOUS!

count55
09-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Hickory Tavern-Excellent Tavern Food.
Charlotte, NC by the way.

Big Al's Pub
Best Buffalo Wings in Charlotte. I was at the cornelius location for the Buffalo-Seattle game. Its a bills backer bar. CRAZY!!!! Ton's of fun as long as you are cheering for Bufflo.

I feel for anyone who walks in wearing anything but buffalo gear during a game. But the food was FABULOUS!

Just off Harris Boulevard? Near 77?

Gyron
09-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Yes Sir.

count55
09-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Yes Sir.

I ate there three or four years ago, but don't remember much besides the buckets of crab legs the guys I was with got...(or it may have been the "garbage pail", which had crab legs and some other stuff...I don't recall.)

I'm sure it's better than the Taco Bell I had tonight in King's Mountain. (Though I kinda liked the Volcano Taco.)

Gyron
09-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Go to Big Al's in Cornelius, you won't regret it, taht is if you like buffalo wings.

Also, Hickory Tavern is expanding, they have locations all over Charlote now. They are building one in Huntersville now. It was my first time in, but the food we had was awesome and the servce was great.

Robertmto
09-09-2008, 12:57 AM
Moe and Johnny's

Ehh

It was good, but ehh

count55
09-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Go to Big Al's in Cornelius, you won't regret it, taht is if you like buffalo wings.

Also, Hickory Tavern is expanding, they have locations all over Charlote now. They are building one in Huntersville now. It was my first time in, but the food we had was awesome and the servce was great.

I'll have to do that next I get together with some of the guys from Praxair...that's much closer to their neck of the woods (the plant's only a mile or two from Hickory on Old Statesville Road).

This week looks like late nights, the plant cafeteria, and fast food...maybe I can steal into Gastonia one night and get a semi-decent meal, but I'm not holding my breath.

Trader Joe
09-09-2008, 03:14 PM
McDonald's in Bloomington. Big Mac and fries. I'd say it was mediocre.

Doddage
09-09-2008, 04:00 PM
The new (well, reconstructed) McDonald's on 31 and 96th street is actually pretty good. The food actually tastes fresh, even though it's fast.

Unclebuck
09-19-2008, 08:32 AM
Siba Italian Restaurant in Pittsburgh - was excellent

Gyron
09-19-2008, 11:04 AM
Chik Fil-A Northlake Mall-Excellent. They didn't invent the chicken sandwich, but they made it better.....

Unclebuck
09-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Carrabba's Italian - in Carmel - not very good.

Bar Louie - at Clay Terrace. - Nice atmosphere - food wasn't that good though

Gyron
09-26-2008, 03:49 PM
PF Chang's -Galleria Mall, Atlanta, Georgia. Great service, food was excellent as always.

Shane's Rib Shack, Atlanta, GA, Galleria area. Pretty good actually for a fast food type bbq place.

And of course I ate at Baby Tommy's New York Pizza twice while I was there. The chicken roll was delicious on the second visit. The pizza there just rocks!

Hampton Inn Suites, Galleria for breakfast- SUXXOR every day.

Doug
09-27-2008, 04:37 PM
Bar Louie - at Clay Terrace. - Nice atmosphere - food wasn't that good though

Try the Mac-and-Cheese with Chicken. I like that a lot.

MagicRat
09-27-2008, 04:48 PM
Low carb double thickburger at Hardee's. Tasty.

DisplacedKnick
09-27-2008, 07:16 PM
Friday's in Lafayette - the new one off Creasy.

It was a Friday's. No better, no worse.

Sollozzo
09-27-2008, 08:29 PM
McDonald's in Bloomington. Big Mac and fries. I'd say it was mediocre.

I had that tonight at the Walnut Street one and it was maybe the worst McDonald's meal I have ever eaten.

Straight up mush.

jeffg-body
09-28-2008, 01:37 AM
I have one that is a bit off the beaten path but the American Legion in Lapel has the best tenderloins I have ever had. They have a cheap menu for everything and you get crazy portions. I cut my tenderloin in half and ate it the next day. We ate there and it was under 20$ for three of us. The atmosphere is not great, but the food makes up for it.

DisplacedKnick
09-28-2008, 08:01 AM
If you're ever REALLY off the beaten path I can heartily recommend Earl Park Saturday nights. It's either an Elks or Lions (sorry - can't remember). Saturday nights at the park in Earl Park they have a steak dinner. They give you a hunk of meat and baked potato and have a cash bar. I haven't been there in a little while but 5 years ago I think it cost $9 and the steak was excellent. So next time you're driving to or from Chicago at about 6 or 7 p.m. Saturday . . .

Unclebuck
09-28-2008, 09:03 AM
Try the Mac-and-Cheese with Chicken. I like that a lot.

The waitress recommended that, but I'm not a big Mac and Cheese lover - but wth chicken - that sounds pretty good. I got a veggie pizza and it wasn't bad

Unclebuck
10-06-2008, 09:14 AM
Amalfi Ristorante Italiano

I have only been twice, the food is just great - I could eat there once a week at least.

I had some veal meatball dish - wow

if you want good Italian food, this is the place. Price isn't bad, but the portions are small

Gyron
10-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Cici's Pizza, Meh....

count55
10-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Amalfi Ristorante Italiano

I have only been twice, the food is just great - I could eat there once a week at least.

I had some veal meatball dish - wow

if you want good Italian food, this is the place. Price isn't bad, but the portions are small

They have great gnocchi and, IIRC, veal saltimbocca.

Hit Rodi's in Gastonia, NC...good stuff.

Trader Joe
10-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Fortune Cookies in Bloomington.

Great Chinese. Sesame chicken kicks some serious *** and the spring rolls are really good.

DisplacedKnick
10-09-2008, 12:38 AM
Giovanni's in St. Louis. Solid. Not too pricy. Nice atmosphere and good wait service for a party of 12 with no reservations on a Tuesday night. I did what I always do eating someplace the first time, went conservative and had the Pasta Siciliano which was very good.

While in St. Louis we stopped by Mike Shannon's, looked at the menu ($48 for a 10 oz steak) and left.

El Pacero
10-09-2008, 09:38 PM
I have one that is a bit off the beaten path but the American Legion in Lapel has the best tenderloins I have ever had.

I'll have to try it. I'm a Legion member and a huge breaded tenderloin fan, and so far my favorites around here are Nickel Plate in Fishers, Friendly Tavern in Zionsville, Red Onion in Sheridan, and Nick's Kitchen in Huntington (supposedly where it was invented in 1904). Any other good ones out there in Hoosier Tenderloin Land?

travmil
10-11-2008, 09:42 AM
Any other good ones out there in Hoosier Tenderloin Land?

I have no idea if it's even still in business or under the same ownership or anything, but the Coxville Tavern in Rosedale had hands down the best breaded tenderloin sandwich I've ever had. Most palces serve what I refer to as a "school lunch" tenderloin. Very thin and bland, pre-cooked and flash frozen. Not Coxville. They hand breaded and deep fried theirs so you know it didn't come pre-cooked and frozen in a box. The breading they used had to have been the secret. And the thing was so big they always brought you an extra bun so you could cut it in half and make two sandwiches. I'd always get it with mustard and onion on it with a side of seasoned steak fries, and a cold beer. My mouth is watering.

I looked it up and the place is now called Coxville Junction Family Restaurant. Checked out the menu, no tenderloin sandwich. :(

Stryder
10-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Fogo de Chao...

I always love the place.

El Pacero
10-13-2008, 09:46 AM
And the thing was so big they always brought you an extra bun so you could cut it in half and make two sandwiches. I'd always get it with mustard and onion on it with a side of seasoned steak fries, and a cold beer. My mouth is watering.[/edit]

Oh you had my mouth watering, too. Mustard and onion, and seasoned steak fries, just like I like it. I wish other places would give you an extra bun, that's a good idea.

count55
10-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Carolina Crossing...Right on the border between NC & SC on SR 29, Grover, NC.

One of those "we have everything on the menu" local places. Great pizza, but the special was Chicken 'n' Dumplings. I've eaten there several times, and it's pretty good every time.

Knucklehead Warrior
10-18-2008, 03:46 AM
Just found this thread and read the whole 8 pages, a first for me. Some updates -- Chinese Ruby I believe has closed since the reference to it last July. Also Los Tapatios has been closed for about a year, unless it's reopened, near 86th & Ditch. Amalfi's is one of, if not the best, Italian in town, strong competition with Mama Corolla's.

The reference to Jasmine is Jasmine Thai, probably the best Thai in town, although some would argue that's Sawasdee. Coincidently, taking my niece out for Thai today, but at neither of those places. We also had a very nice dinner in Bloomington a couple weeks ago at Esan Thai.

Mmmmmmmmm, tenderloins.
There is another location for Sahm's, it's downtown in what used to be the First Indiana bldg @ Delaware and Ohio I believe. From my experience in the decades long search for the best tenderloin, IMO second place. First place belongs to Friendly's Tavern in Zionsville. Although I am intrigued by the reference to Rosedale and expect a road trip in my immediate future.

Beyond Yat's and Gumbo-a-go-go, give Zydeco 5 a try down in Mooresville.
Not inexpensive, upscale, marvelous dishes.

Favorite pizza -- Puchini's and Some Guys.

I can't believe NO ONE has mentioned my favorite website --
http://www.indyethnicfood.com
Check out the Top 10 list. If you're on the search for high quality/unusual food, this place is a must. Some of the places mentioned in this thread get high marks from the members there: Sawasdee, Kebab Korner, Amalfi's, Mama Corolla's, Jasmine Thai, etc.

My personal Top 10 in no particular order--
Yats, Sesame, Rathskeller, Greek Islands, Santorini's, Amalfi's, Ocean World, Shapiro's, Barcelona Tapas, Bosphorus

Erik
10-21-2008, 05:04 PM
Went to Foga Da Chao which has been mentioned here before. I just wanted to give my opinion because I am not one to usually go out looking for steaks, ribs, prime rib and such, but the meat was great (not to mention the salad bar which was good enough alone). This place was a neat experience that anyone should check out.

Unclebuck
01-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Just bumping this thread

DisplacedKnick
01-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Also Los Tapatios has been closed for about a year, unless it's reopened, near 86th & Ditch.

That's disappointing - I was heading to Castleton from Broad Ripple on Saturday and thought about stopping in but I was running late.

Gyron
01-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Southern gourmet in charlotte nc off of monroe road. Its a little place in a small office complex that will go unnoticed by all but the locals. Excellent food with a gourmet style. Reasonably priced too about ten dollars for lunch. If your in the area I highly recommend

Also vocellis pizza just opened in huntersville. Excellent italian style pizza

count55
01-12-2009, 05:27 PM
No more visits to Charlotte for me...now I have to start finding restaurants in Terre Haute and in Pittman, NJ.

travmil
01-12-2009, 05:45 PM
This is for Count,

Terre Haute is the king of the chain. There are a few places, but they usually aren't anywhere near the main streets. I have been in Indy for 6 years now so maybe some of the other native Hautians here can help me out a bit.

Pizza - Maurizio's, hands down best in TH. It's thin, northern Italian style. I really like their pizza, but I've had some tell me it's not their cup of tea as well. There used to be one on Wabash east of 25th street. Don't know if it's still there or not, but the one I used to go to was on Lafayette Road just north of Otter Creek Middle School.

There are two Italian places worth mentioning. Louise's is on south 3rd street across from the ISU campus. Pino's Il Sonnetto is on Springhill near Terre Haute Regional Hospital.

Mogger's Brewery is at 9th and Poplar streets. It has good food and a HUUUUUGE selection of microbrews, including many from Indiana.

Homey's BBQ is the absolute BOMB. Can't remember the exact address but it's on 13th street many blocks south of Wabash. Try it during Colts camp and you might run into a few players in the evenings.

The best steakhouse is Stables, it's next door to Mogger's from above and is owned by the same folks. They also own a place over on Wabash called Frog's, and another place over in Casey Illinois called Richard's Farm.

If you like Wings go to the Terminal on Wabash by the ISU Hulman Center. They have mild, medium, hot, and TERMINAL spicy. When they say TERMINAL they mean it.

Los Angeles
01-14-2009, 04:22 AM
Had several varieties of Union Jack's pizza when I was in Indy. I thought time and the experience of tasting so many great pizzas across the country (Chicago, New York, etc. would somehow taint my memory of Union Jacks, and if I had it, it wouldn't be as good after all those experiences.

On the contrary, I had a newfound appreciation for it. It is world class pizza, with an approach and flavor all it's own. Indy is lucky to have Union Jack's.

count55
01-14-2009, 12:03 PM
This is for Count,

Terre Haute is the king of the chain. There are a few places, but they usually aren't anywhere near the main streets. I have been in Indy for 6 years now so maybe some of the other native Hautians here can help me out a bit.

Pizza - Maurizio's, hands down best in TH. It's thin, northern Italian style. I really like their pizza, but I've had some tell me it's not their cup of tea as well. There used to be one on Wabash east of 25th street. Don't know if it's still there or not, but the one I used to go to was on Lafayette Road just north of Otter Creek Middle School.

There are two Italian places worth mentioning. Louise's is on south 3rd street across from the ISU campus. Pino's Il Sonnetto is on Springhill near Terre Haute Regional Hospital.

Mogger's Brewery is at 9th and Poplar streets. It has good food and a HUUUUUGE selection of microbrews, including many from Indiana.

Homey's BBQ is the absolute BOMB. Can't remember the exact address but it's on 13th street many blocks south of Wabash. Try it during Colts camp and you might run into a few players in the evenings.

The best steakhouse is Stables, it's next door to Mogger's from above and is owned by the same folks. They also own a place over on Wabash called Frog's, and another place over in Casey Illinois called Richard's Farm.

If you like Wings go to the Terminal on Wabash by the ISU Hulman Center. They have mild, medium, hot, and TERMINAL spicy. When they say TERMINAL they mean it.

Cool thanks...I'll have to figure out where that is...I'm working north of 40 on Fruitridge.

travmil
01-14-2009, 02:03 PM
Cool thanks...I'll have to figure out where that is...I'm working north of 40 on Fruitridge.

40 and Wabash are the same street. How far north? A lot of the places I mentioned are pretty far away with the exception of Maurizio's Pizza.

BTW, where are you working. There aren't very many places along there and most of them are pretty well known in the TH area. If you don't wanna say here maybe a PM?

count55
01-14-2009, 04:09 PM
40 and Wabash are the same street. How far north? A lot of the places I mentioned are pretty far away with the exception of Maurizio's Pizza.

BTW, where are you working. There aren't very many places along there and most of them are pretty well known in the TH area. If you don't wanna say here maybe a PM?

Sony DADC

Erik
01-15-2009, 09:23 AM
I forgot how much I like 3 Sisters Cafe in Broad Ripple. It's a great place for Brunch. It's run out of an old house in Broad Ripple and they use alot of local products. Try the Grilled cheese and stay away from the Calico Potatoes.

theboyjwo
01-15-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned, but Sakura on Keystone is very good Japanese, always crowded though so service can be an issue.

I like Jasmine Thai alot, never had a bad dish there, and they always have great service.

Speaking of Pad Thai, One place that has closed down in the a past couple of years. Nothing But Noodles on 96th Street. They have the best Pad Thai I've ever had. It was sweet but alittle spicy, They always gave you a lime for it, and you got those little bread sticks. I believe they were bought out by Noodles Company, their PadThai sucks, worst I've ever had.

Miyuki which is now in the old Nothing but Noodles location, has a very nice atmosphere, but their food stinks for the most part. Watery sauces with no flavor, and a weird selection of vegetables for a japanese place.

El Torito Grill at Keystone Crossing, sucks big time, they don't even give you chips and salsa, you get a flabby mexican crepe' to which you tear off peices and dip them in salsa. That lasts all of about 1 minute. For a price you pay you should get chips and salsa.

I have not tried Capri yet, but I will now thanks to this thread.

There is a tiny Chinese place behand Sakura on 71st and Keystone next to the fire station. Anyone ever been there?

tinsley#11
01-16-2009, 06:18 PM
I highly recommend the Working Man's Friend. Very good cheeseburgers for reasonable price. Goes well with giant goblet of beer.

count55
01-17-2009, 01:48 AM
I highly recommend the Working Man's Friend. Very good cheeseburgers for reasonable price. Goes well with giant goblet of beer.

Yup...good place...one of the very few places with Braunschweiger on the menu.

Not too far from there is Judge's BBQ...best in town...get the corn casserole on the side.

travmil
01-17-2009, 09:32 AM
Yup...good place...one of the very few places with Braunschweiger on the menu.

Not too far from there is Judge's BBQ...best in town...get the corn casserole on the side.

Personally I don't know why one would ever order that, but hey if that's your thing, go to the Bierstube in North Terre Haute. Just south of Ft. Harrison Road on Lafayette. They have that, and a large variety of sausages and schnitzels, very German. In fact several of the older waitresses still have their German accents. My grandmother (again, very German) grew up with the kids of the family that owned it. There's also a decent Italian place called Carosi's on the other side of the street.

Another thing you should check out in TH, in May they have Straussenfest, or Sloshenfest as the ISU students have come to call it. Basically an excuse for grown men to put on their lederhosen, get EXTREMELY wasted, and eat bratwurst, while dancing to really bad German polka music. But I'll be damned if it ain't some of the best fun to be had in TH.

BRushWithDeath
01-22-2009, 02:22 AM
Northsiders: If you enjoy cajun food try Mudbugs in Carmel. They have a buffet on Mondays that is fantastic and cheap. The food is similar to Yats.

pianoman
01-28-2009, 11:57 PM
Amazing Joes in Muncie Is very good. It's a mix of american/italian. Great burgers, steaks, and pastas. And it's cheap! big portions for small price, You just can't go wrong there.

grace
02-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Hardee's apple pies aren't very good. The crust is too thick. McDonald's is much better.

clownskull
03-04-2009, 10:23 AM
i was reading on the internet that restaurants have been making changes in this recession.
many are going with the format of less for more approach. most of these places i have neever been to or haven't been to in a long time.
of the places i saw mentioned, fazolis stuck out to me since i go there 2-3 times a month on average and i remember on my last visit when i asked for more breadsticks, they tried giving me 2 but, i asked for 4 and got them instead. even though they are trying to cut costs like any place at least they haven't tried some of the stuff some of these other places are apparently doing.
http://www.walletpop.com/specials/i-spy-restaurant-tricks

count55
03-04-2009, 01:44 PM
Irish Lion...Bloomington

mmmm....fresh Harp

Gyron
03-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Del Frisco's of Charlotte, NC
Had a bone in Filet Mingnon -Meted in my mouth it was so tender.

131 Main, Charlotte, NC
Roasted Artichoke, Their Specialty Corn Bread with Honey, and a Ribeye that had been marinated for 5 days in Pineapply, Soy Sauce and ginger....Again, FABULOUS!

Unclebuck
03-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Anyone ever have Juniors cheesecake out of NY. Hope it is better than Cheesecake Factory because I just ordered one and it costs with shipping $48.00 - someone tell me they are the best.

grace
03-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Anyone ever have Juniors cheesecake out of NY. Hope it is better than Cheesecake Factory because I just ordered one and it costs with shipping $48.00 - someone tell me they are the best.

Unless it comes in a gold line pie tin I don't see how that's possible.

travmil
03-09-2009, 07:21 PM
UB, if that's not the best dessert that's ever crossed your lips you got ripped.

Unclebuck
03-09-2009, 10:19 PM
UB, if that's not the best dessert that's ever crossed your lips you got ripped.

It is a gift for someone who is very picky about cheesecake

Knucklehead Warrior
03-10-2009, 12:36 AM
Guess you got the strawberry.
I pay more than that for fruitcake, so I bet you'll do just fine.

I'm not starting a fruitcake discussion here, so you all just keep your snide comments to yourselves. I like fruitcake. :dance:

grace
03-10-2009, 01:17 AM
I'm not starting a fruitcake discussion here, so you all just keep your snide comments to yourselves. I like fruitcake. :dance:

You'd love my aunt's fruit cake. She douses it in booze. :shudder:

travmil
03-10-2009, 01:20 AM
You'd love my aunt's fruit cake. She douses it in booze. :shudder:
Bravo! Anything that tastes that bad should make you drunk.

Unclebuck
03-23-2009, 09:40 AM
The Junior's cheesecake was a huge success. I'm not a cheesecake expert, but the person I gave the cake to is and said this is the real thing. While Cheesecake Factory is for the masses - surgary sweet with wild favors. Juniors is real cheesecake, extremely rich and yet not sickly sweet. I really liked it. Recommend it for a special occasion.

Bazbeaux Pizza is soooooo good

Erik
03-25-2009, 06:24 PM
Bazbeaux Pizza is soooooo good:amen:

Steak Lover's that have been to St. Elmo's,

Is this place worth it? We have our wedding anniversary coming up and my wife loves steak. It's not too often that money is no object and was thinking of taking my wife there. Is it actually the best place for steaks?

Knucklehead Warrior
03-25-2009, 08:35 PM
:amen:

Is this place worth it? We have our wedding anniversary coming up and my wife loves steak. It's not too often that money is no object and was thinking of taking my wife there. Is it actually the best place for steaks?

For me it is. I'm sure it's debatable, that's why there are so many good steak places downtown. If you're trying to pick a steak place you probably couldn't go wrong with any of them -- St. Elmo's, Ruth's Chris, Shula's, Morton's.

I'm confused about the "is it worth it" question. You mean compared to going to an Italian place or compared to Shula's? It's not more expensive than any of the other steak places, not that I'm aware of anyway. The key is twofold: (1) your wife likes steak (2) it's your anniversary. Bite the bullet man. If you're careful, you could get out of there for under $100, but I haven't been able to for 20 years. Plan on $125 for two without drinks.

My wife likes steak too, a lot. While we make the infrequent visit to St. Elmo's, I have learned over the years how to select a good steak and how to cook it on the grill. Plan on spending about $25-30 for two steaks, a lot cheaper than going out.

count55
03-25-2009, 10:56 PM

No...at least I don't think so.

I like Peterson's (96th & Hague), Sullivans, and Flemings (both at Keystone at the Crossing) better.

I'd suggest Flemings.

Peck
03-26-2009, 04:00 AM

The honest truth here is that I have never walked out of St. Elmo's satisfied. I know I am a heathen when it comes to this but frankly I just don't like the place. I think their selection is very limited and I have not once had a steak cooked the way I have ordered it.

For my money you can't beat Ruths Chris steakhouse, however both Mortons and Shula's are good as well.

Erik
03-26-2009, 05:56 AM
For me it is.
I'm confused about the "is it worth it" question. You mean compared to going to an Italian place or compared to Shula's?

I've never looked into the prices but it has a reputation of being pretty expensive. I like steak, but It's not my first choice. I guess I wanted to get steak conniosseur's opinion on the place. Seem's like there was a write-up about steaks in Indy a couple of months ago and I beleive Peterson's took the gold (I can't really remember).

Erik
03-28-2009, 05:27 PM
Just got through eating some pizza from the New Bethel Ordinary in Wannamaker, I forgot how good it was. It's not up there with Bazbeux or Jockamo, it's more like pizza you would get at a bar. But it's definatley something to remember because of how plentiful the toppings are. Four of us couldn't put one away. I know there are a few on PD that have been there and know what I am talking about.

Trader Joe
03-28-2009, 06:42 PM
Had some great sushi last night at this place in Bloomington, but now I can't remember it's name. It's across from Nick's on Kirkwood. Had the Spider roll and also tried their spicy tuna. Later on split a Crazy roll. I highly recommend.

travmil
03-28-2009, 08:08 PM
Just got through eating some pizza from the New Bethel Ordinary in Wannamaker, I forgot how good it was. It's not up there with Bazbeux or Jockamo, it's more like pizza you would get at a bar. But it's definatley something to remember because of how plentiful the toppings are. Four of us couldn't put one away. I know there are a few on PD that have been there and know what I am talking about.

I know that their pies are huge, and whenever work has a dinner or other type of event, they always get Ordinary's. But, I can never get over the fact that I think their pizza is very bland. A pie that thick, with that much stuff topping it should be positively bursting with flavor and it just doesn't. Not to me at least.

Erik
03-28-2009, 09:40 PM
I agree, Travmil. It's just the thickness that makes it.

Erik
04-10-2009, 09:54 PM
I went to Aculpolco Joe's for the first time this morning. I had the breakfast burrito and tried the spicy B&G, loved it.

We went to Johnny Rockets for dinner, which was good (on par with steak & shake.) and the bill came uop to $40 bucks for 3 regular meals with small milk shakes:eek: good but not worth the money.

Trader Joe
04-11-2009, 03:36 AM
Rocket's was/might still be, I don't know, about the atmosphere as much as the food.

Went to Union Jack's tonight had the fish and chips and a mug of Hack & Black. Good stuff. I've been there a couple times and haven't been disappointed. They are a bit pricey though.

Erik
04-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Union Jack's has some good pizza.

Unclebuck
06-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Went to the Old Spaghetti Factory a few weeks ago and I remember why I have never liked the place. The food stinks. There were 6 of us there and we all tried something different so we could share and one by one each of us were saying - wow this isn't good, None of us liked any of the 6 dishes. Food wise Fazoli's is as good. The bread is good - but even the salad was disappointing. The atmosphere is pretty good.

How difficult is it to make decent Italian food - it isn't that tough.

Trader Joe
06-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Yeah, I've never liked the Spaghetti Factory.

Peck
06-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Oddly enough my wife and I went to a Spaghetti Factory in Nashville, TN a couple of weeks ago and it was just as bad if not worse than the one here.

I have no idea how they do it either, but the food is really not good at all.

Trophy
06-09-2009, 04:29 PM
I never heard of it. I take it that it's an Italian restaurant.

Gyron
06-09-2009, 06:55 PM
I could give you guys a list of China and Thailand Resturants if you want.....

Knucklehead Warrior
06-09-2009, 09:00 PM
I could give you guys a list of China and Thailand Resturants if you want.....

At the top of that list should be Siam Square.

Erik
06-10-2009, 06:06 AM
Food wise Fazoli's is as good. The bread is good.Yeah, I believe that we went through this OSF thing before and the Fazoli's comparison is right on the money. They must've improved their bread since I went there, UB. I was served a toasted hot dog bun, seriously.

Gyron
06-10-2009, 06:56 PM
I meant Resturants actually IN China and Thailand.....

Spicoli
06-11-2009, 09:05 AM
They got Taco Bells over there?

DisplacedKnick
06-11-2009, 01:29 PM
They got Taco Bells over there?

No spork - plastic chopsticks.

Spicoli
06-11-2009, 01:43 PM
I couldn't manage

Gyron
06-11-2009, 08:18 PM
KFC is the most popular fast food in Asia, its onlike every corner, followed by Mc Donalds. Subway is also popular...

Funny thing is the things you will see on the menu.....Not exactly the same....I did eat at KFC for lunch one day....Original recipe not exactly the original...

Doug
07-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Leland's

New place in Carmel on 146th just east of Meridan. http://lelandsindy.com/Welcome.html

I was pretty impressed. Food was very good - me, the wife, and the two kids all really liked it. No leftovers to be found.

It's pretty new, and it wasn't very busy. I suppose that is par for the course for a new restaurant on a Monday night. I hope it makes it. I like the local places better than the chains.

I was even more impressed by their breakfast menu. Looks outstanding. I'll go back, especially for breakfast.

Unclebuck
07-07-2009, 08:54 AM
Leland's

New place in Carmel on 146th just east of Meridan. http://lelandsindy.com/Welcome.html

I was pretty impressed. Food was very good - me, the wife, and the two kids all really liked it. No leftovers to be found.

It's pretty new, and it wasn't very busy. I suppose that is par for the course for a new restaurant on a Monday night. I hope it makes it. I like the local places better than the chains.

I was even more impressed by their breakfast menu. Looks outstanding. I'll go back, especially for breakfast.

I drove by the place over the weekend and wondered what it was. Nice menu - will have to check it out. I too like the local places which there really aren't that many in Carmel - there should be more

Erik
01-30-2010, 07:14 PM
:bump:

This thread has been dead for too long! I haven't eaten out much lately but I'd love to read some new reviews. I did try.... http://www.dufoursinirvington.com/ a few weeks ago, it was a pretty good little spot. I've recently realized that my favorite food is not Mexican or Italian, but soup and sandwiches. So, I'm going to check out some of those type of places around town. Anyone ever try "Taste" in Broad Ripple? That's my next stop.

count55
01-30-2010, 07:32 PM
Wild Ginger on 116th, just West of 69. It's in the little strip mall where Finn McCool's used to be.

Really, really good, fresh Sushi. Best I've had since the Lotus in Gastonia and eZee Fusion in Charlotte.

Stryder
01-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Five Guy's

I love their burgers and fries.

Doug
01-30-2010, 11:27 PM
Wild Ginger on 116th, just West of 69. It's in the little strip mall where Finn McCool's used to be.
Used to be?

Did that place go under? It always seemed busy when we were in.

Good food.

count55
01-31-2010, 08:55 AM
Used to be?

Did that place go under? It always seemed busy when we were in.

Good food.

Yeah, it closed a month or two ago. They did have pretty decent food, but I never saw it crowded. However, I never went on the weekends, just lunch and weekday dinner a couple times.

I never saw a huge amount of action at the bar, and I think that's kind of a killer at a place like that.

Not a real good location, either, and I think the square footage was pretty expensive.

Gyron
01-31-2010, 09:40 AM
Bulldogs Bar in Kowloon, Hong Kong. Decent food, more about the atmosphere sitting outside, overlooking the harbor and people watching.

Felix Bar, Peninsula Hotel, Kowloon, Hong Kong. Gotta see this bar once if you're in Hong Kong. Expensive as all get out, in one of the most expensive hotels in Hong Kong. The view of the Harbor is awesome. But the restroom is the kicker. You pee looking out over the city if you're standing at a urinal. And the sink is simply amazing. Looks like a flat bar in the middle of the room. Very modern, very cool place. Just too expensive for anything other than a drink. Oh, and if you plan to eat at the resturant afterwards(Which I didn't) sports coat required....

PaceBalls
01-31-2010, 09:57 PM
Udupi Cafe (might be called India Star Cafe or something like that now)
It is off of Lafeyette Road a bit past the mall.

Best restaurant in Indy. Make sure you go to the all you can eat buffet, so you can sample all the indian food, unless you know what the dishes are.

It is all vegetarian, and mostly vegan.

jeffg-body
01-31-2010, 11:11 PM
Anyone ever eaten at Maxine's on Northeastern St? It has the best lunchtime food at a great price. No pork though due to their religous beliefs. Great bbq pulled turkey sandwich with killer sides. ;)

cinotimz
02-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Bulldogs Bar in Kowloon, Hong Kong. Decent food, more about the atmosphere sitting outside, overlooking the harbor and people watching.

Felix Bar, Peninsula Hotel, Kowloon, Hong Kong. Gotta see this bar once if you're in Hong Kong. Expensive as all get out, in one of the most expensive hotels in Hong Kong. The view of the Harbor is awesome. But the restroom is the kicker. You pee looking out over the city if you're standing at a urinal. And the sink is simply amazing. Looks like a flat bar in the middle of the room. Very modern, very cool place. Just too expensive for anything other than a drink. Oh, and if you plan to eat at the resturant afterwards(Which I didn't) sports coat required....

In Hong Kong, try Cafe Deco. At a place called the Peak. Food is amazing and the view is literally looking down at the top of the skyscrapers in Hong Kong.

Gyron
02-01-2010, 10:10 AM
In Hong Kong, try Cafe Deco. At a place called the Peak. Food is amazing and the view is literally looking down at the top of the skyscrapers in Hong Kong.

Been there. Very good. Hardest part is the inconvenience of going up to the peak.....
Lei Yue Mun is an excellent fish market if you ever want to try agood place for extremely fresh seafood.

pianoman
02-01-2010, 10:45 AM
does anybody miss that great fast food chain "Rax?" They still have one in Anderson. Best fast food roast beef ever!

Unclebuck
02-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Anyone been to Oakley's Bistro and 86th and Ditch.