PDA

View Full Version : Mid level Exception & Trade Exceptions

Jose Slaughter
06-15-2004, 05:02 PM
There has been mentions of using our mid level & or trade exception this summer to bring in talent.

This could happen but it would be the first time in my memory that we ever used either one.

I can not recall the Pacers ever using a mid level to bring in any free agent. We have had many chances to do so but we always seem to just bring guys in on the million dollar exception or veteran minimum.

I'm sure we have had more than one trade exception but the one that comes to mind is the one we had from the Antonio Davis trade. We sat on it until it expired. Our current trade exception will not be used either, simply because it will add more salary to our playroll.

If someone remembers us using either during the Walsh era, please let me know.

Doug in CO
06-15-2004, 05:05 PM
It's a new era - all hail Bird, RIP Bugeyes

Snickers
06-15-2004, 05:08 PM
I think we used the mid-level to re-sign Big Smooth once.... Maybe Erick Strickland?

indygeezer
06-15-2004, 05:24 PM
The talk at the time was that we used the MLE for Big Smooth. But it turned out later that we gave him just under the MLE.

Bball
06-15-2004, 05:56 PM
Until last summer, where'd we stand on sign and trades? Walsh had said previously he didn't like them. Were there others?

-Bball

ChicagoJ
06-15-2004, 06:03 PM
Until last summer, where'd we stand on sign and trades? Walsh had said previously he didn't like them. Were there others?

-Bball

No. Brad was the first player to ever get away that DW said he wanted to keep.

The next closest departure was probably when Sam Mitchell went back to Minnesota.

bulletproof
06-15-2004, 06:22 PM
It's a new era - all hail Bird, RIP Bugeyes

Yeah, ol' "bugeyes" is still here for 3 more years and has a hold of the purse strings.

indygeezer
06-15-2004, 06:29 PM

-Bball

None that I recall. IIRC he let Mark Jackson walk to prove his point. If you wanna leave here it's up to yo, but don't expect us to help reward you for doing so. I guess that all changed with Brad.