PDA

View Full Version : GPS question

Gyron
07-20-2008, 08:03 PM
My Mother-in-Law is looking to invest in a GPS for her car.

We need something simple and that would price $200 or less. It needs to be easy to use(she's a beginner on computers, so the GPS must be very easy to use).

We would prefer the screen to be easy to read and audible signals for turns would be great.

I thought I'd heard of one you could talk to and it would do things for you, but based on the very preliminary research my wife has done, we haven't found one, especially at the budget we're looking at for this unit.

So what are your suggestions. Keep in mind, we know very little about the GPS systems as we do not own one, and I've only used the Hertz never lost system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

Twes
07-20-2008, 08:08 PM
My Mother-in-Law is looking to invest in a GPS for her car.

We need something simple and that would price $200 or less. It needs to be easy to use(she's a beginner on computers, so the GPS must be very easy to use).

We would prefer the screen to be easy to read and audible signals for turns would be great.

I thought I'd heard of one you could talk to and it would do things for you, but based on the very preliminary research my wife has done, we haven't found one, especially at the budget we're looking at for this unit.

So what are your suggestions. Keep in mind, we know very little about the GPS systems as we do not own one, and I've only used the Hertz never lost system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

I bought a Garmin or Magellan for my Dad last christmas. My tech buddy at work told me the tom tom was more focused on european maps mwhile the garmin/magellan is us based.

Truthfully I'm sure they would all work.

I know the price has come down on these things.

I don't own one myself. Not a directional one anyway.

I always do a lot of reading on web pages with review information like New Egg, cabelas, amazon or whatever.

Good luck.

juadam09
07-20-2008, 08:11 PM
You can look for ones under $200 on curtchfield:

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_270650/Portable-Car-GPS-Navigation.html?tp=145

I personally have the Magellan Roadmate 800 and while it tends to lose signal in huge storms (you can buy the external antenna but its just such a hassle) but other then that I really like the GPS.

I am assuming you are looking for a portable. I just started my search for in-dash, but they are 800-1K at the least. So that is most def going to be out of your range.

Good luck

Kstat
07-20-2008, 08:25 PM
I got a Garmin 720 that I think is worth every penny, and it couldnt possibly be any easier to use. I've loaned it out to my mother, who doesn't even own a PC. Its taken me halfway across the country 3 times with no problem.

That said, It's $300 at Sam's Club, so it may not be what you're looking for.

indygeezer
07-20-2008, 09:11 PM
My Garmin 550 is Soooooooooooooo easy to use (but doesn't allow input of data while the vehicle is moving unless u override the saftey feature)

It is also a bluetooth which is why I went with the more expensive model (BUT, their audio sux at time)

The only time/place I have ever lost signal was in a parking garage, and it has never been wrong...well except for very new addresses, like in new housing developments.

But at $500 installed (Circuit City) is above your budget.

Kstat
07-20-2008, 10:01 PM
A Garmin 550 for $500?

...that's what you get for shopping at circuit city. Holy guacamole, you could buy two for that price.

Major Cold
07-20-2008, 11:04 PM
I have this https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=9122

Love it and I will never use googlemaps again. I got it at Wal-Mart for like 270 with 2 year agreement, power splitter, case, and cleaning supplies. It recommend the Wide Screen. Especially if you have sausage fingers like me.

Gyron
07-21-2008, 11:10 AM
So do you have to pay a monthly fee with these things, or is it a one time fee with free updates?

juadam09
07-21-2008, 02:24 PM
For mine you can updated it every year I believe. Two years ago it was free, I went to do it the other month and I believe it was $100 for the upgrade disk.

Was not worth it for me, but to answer your question I am not aware of any monthly fees.

Major Cold
07-21-2008, 02:48 PM
no monthly fees but the 2009 maps cost $100. You don't need it.

btowncolt
07-21-2008, 02:53 PM
You don't need one if you never go anywhere.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2081/1583990088_6370a3d3c2.jpg?v=0

Gyron
07-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Any other things we should be paying attention to when we shop for them?

And since my wife will be reading this thread btown, I'll leave my comments blank on the basement.....but turn your webcam to the left and adjust the focus a little more for a close-up.

btowncolt
07-21-2008, 03:00 PM
Hi, Mrs. Gyron!

Twes
07-21-2008, 04:02 PM
You don't need one if you never go anywhere.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2081/1583990088_6370a3d3c2.jpg?v=0

We're all going somewhere.

http://z.about.com/d/archaeology/1/5/u/B/basement316.jpg

indygeezer
07-21-2008, 04:14 PM
A Garmin 550 for $500?

...that's what you get for shopping at circuit city. Holy guacamole, you could buy two for that price.

Actually I did. But that was the post sale price.