PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Durant is a Thunder cat....

Kstat
07-20-2008, 03:54 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=txoklahomacitynickname&prov=st&type=lgns

Report: Oklahoma City franchise nicknamed Thunder

OKLAHOMA CITY (TICKER) —Oklahoma City’s new NBA franchise has nicknamed itself the Thunder, according to a report Saturday on the web site of the city’s ABC affiliate.

Citing a source close to team ownership, KOCO-TV reported that the “registrar for all of the NBA’s Internet domain names were reserved okcthunderbasketball.com and okcthunderbasketball.net on July 10,” suggesting that the franchise formerly known as the Seattle SuperSonics will soon be renamed.

The franchise left the Pacific Northwest after an ugly court case ended with an agreement between the team and the city of Seattle, which released the club from its lease at KeyArena - the crux of the disagreement.

The Hustler
07-20-2008, 04:09 AM
I'm stuggling to work out what this has to do with Chris Paul? as you have called this thread Chris Paul in now a thundercat

CP3 plays for New Orleans, Kevin Durant , Jess Green and Russell Westbrooke etc. are likely to become thundercats

Correct me if i'm wrong

King Tuts Tomb
07-20-2008, 04:16 AM
Maybe he's playing Lion-O in a new Thundercats movie

Kemo
07-20-2008, 04:16 AM
I'm stuggling to work out what this has to do with Chris Paul?

LOL :cheers::cheers::cheers:

croz24
07-20-2008, 04:38 AM
Barons

Doddage
07-20-2008, 04:57 AM
Cool, that was the name I was hoping for. The name has a good ring to it and the jerseys could be pretty awesome.

croz24
07-20-2008, 05:22 AM
Cool, that was the name I was hoping for. The name has a good ring to it and the jerseys could be pretty awesome.

thunder is what you were hoping for? very corny. what will their symbol be? some clouds? a hammer? thunder is a wnba team name. a high school team name. should not be the name of a professional franchise imo.

Doddage
07-20-2008, 05:30 AM
It's miles better than the other names they were considering. Much better than Barons. Their symbol could be a lightning bolt, which would look pretty sweet on an NBA jersey... they could go other directions with it too. It's a perfectly acceptable name for a pro team.

JayRedd
07-20-2008, 11:29 AM
Correct me if i'm wrong

Jess Green

Jeff.

And Thunder is horrible. I fail to see the reasoning in not ending in S. The Jazz, Red Sox and White Sox are the only three that work without it, and even those are awkward at times.

CompACE
07-20-2008, 11:33 AM
http://www.thundercats-guild.org/dkp/templates/default/images/old_school_logo.gif
These Thundercats?

Thundercats HO!!!

Kstat
07-20-2008, 11:46 AM
I'm stuggling to work out what this has to do with Chris Paul? as you have called this thread Chris Paul in now a thundercat

CP3 plays for New Orleans, Kevin Durant , Jess Green and Russell Westbrooke etc. are likely to become thundercats

Correct me if i'm wrong

It was 4 n the morning and I was :buddies: . Sue me.

ajbry
07-20-2008, 11:50 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/warriors/Thunder_Point_150.jpg

Aside from that, naming your team 'Thunder' is beyond wack. There's no swag to it.

avoidingtheclowns
07-20-2008, 11:51 AM
And Thunder is horrible. I fail to see the reasoning in not ending in S. The Jazz, Red Sox and White Sox are the only three that work without it, and even those are awkward at times.

magic kinda works too. but thunder approaches heat-like craptastic.

Maybe he's playing Lion-O in a new Thundercats movie

actually that'd be robert swift

http://www.elevationmag.com/basketball/media/1/swifttats.jpghttp://thundercatslogo.com/lion-o.jpg

DgR
07-20-2008, 11:54 AM
It's miles better than the other names they were considering. Much better than Barons. Their symbol could be a lightning bolt, which would look pretty sweet on an NBA jersey... they could go other directions with it too. It's a perfectly acceptable name for a pro team.

Actually a lightning bolt is not relevant because they're not called the "Lightning"- they're called "Thunder"- all they can use in the logo is some angry looking clouds and maybe a little girl covering her ears.

very bad name...

pacers31tc
07-20-2008, 11:55 AM
Thunder sounds so... so... D-League... ish

JayRedd
07-20-2008, 11:56 AM
magic kinda works too. but thunder approaches heat-like craptastic.

"Dwight Howard is a Magic."

That works?

You always have to say "plays for the Magic" or, as the media does half the time, "Dwyane Wade, a member of the Heat" like it's a political party or something.

The worst still is people's obsessions with treating nonplural team names as a singular. "The Magic is on a four-game winning streak" or "The Heat was the the 2006 NBA Champion." If a team isn't going to have an S at the end, people at least need to treat it like deer or fish.

Thunder sounds so... so... D-League... ish

I was thinking WNBA. Or, worse still, NHL.

avoidingtheclowns
07-20-2008, 11:58 AM
Dwight Howard is a Magic.

That works?

carlos boozer is a jazz works?
david ortiz is a red sox too?

nope, neither do.

but as actual names, there is something that kinda works about jazz and magic. the sox (both red and white) definitely fit into that category. heat and thunder, not so much.

Kstat
07-20-2008, 11:59 AM
Actually a lightning bolt is not relevant because they're not called the "Lightning"- they're called "Thunder"- all they can use in the logo is some angry looking clouds and maybe a little girl covering her ears.

very bad name...

...or their logo can be a Doppler radar with "OKC" spelled out in the form of a high pressure storm front...

JayRedd
07-20-2008, 12:06 PM
Manny is a Red Sock.

Sox is actually just an oddly spelled plural. It's still a little awkward, but at least them and CSW have history going for them.

Okay, "a Jazz" is dumb too.

I was giving them brownie points for -- originally anyway -- having a clever name for their hometown. New Orleans Jazz is almost worth the awkwardness. I guess Orlando Magic is the same thing. But as someone who has had tp go to a conference there and been bored out of my ******* mind at night because by far the best place to have a beer in the entire city is a House of Blues...well...yeah...I'm not a fan of Orlando in general. Fortunately I get to go there for a week early next year. :shootmeintheheadsmiley:

Kstat
07-20-2008, 12:09 PM
I think calling them the natural disasters would have been cool.

ajbry
07-20-2008, 12:10 PM
Orlando is weird, honestly. Daytona is a much better alternative if we're talking about that general area of FLA.

Doddage
07-20-2008, 12:14 PM

very bad name...
I think that's pretty obvious... but a lot of times when there's a thunderstorm there's lightning. So why not?

idioteque
07-20-2008, 12:15 PM
I am kind of confused: is it Thunder or Thunder Cat?

Thunder isn't that bad but it isn't that good either. If they're actually going to go with "thundercats" they should just make it "Thunderkatz" so it officially sounds like an AFL team name.

2minutes twowa
07-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Don't care for the name, but they will have a hell of a theme song. ACDC Thunder!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!! Thunder!!

Hicks
07-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Jeff.

Ending in S? So should it be the Miami Heats, too? Or the Orlando Magics for that matter?

JayRedd
07-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Nah...should be the Miami Tigers or something.

All the iconic, tangible Miami nouns were taken (Gators, Hurricanes, Rays, Sharks, albeit San Jose) so you just go with something solid and random. And if they just had to go with something Miami-centric, go with the Miami Waves or something stupid that can be made plural.

I understand the Disney tie in with Orlando, but Magic is still a concept...not a tangible thing that really lends itself to a mascot, logo or any real identifying thing. I mean, the Magic and Jazz (and even Heat to a lesser degree) are better than say, the Liberty or the Wild (which are completely unforgivable), but there's still no reason to forgo a person or thing for an idea or a concept. There are plenty of other nouns out there.

The Orlando Princes or something. Or if they wanted to be really accurate, the Orlando Overpriced Hotel Rooms or the Orlando Screaming Kids.

idioteque
07-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Thunder reminds me of WCW Thunder, WCW's (a now defunct wrestling org) secondary show that never had a card as good as their Monday Night Nitro show.

It works for something cheesy like pro wrestling, but for the NBA? Well, maybe in Oklahoma. I still can't believe they have an NBA team. Wow.

count55
07-20-2008, 01:21 PM

very bad name...

Just curious...where do you think the thunder comes from in a thunderstorm? Or are you still under the impression that it's the angels bowling?

rexnom
07-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Jeff.

Bill Simmons called, he wants his joke back.

Otherwise, I agree. The Heat is? The Heat are? What the ****?

Hicks
07-20-2008, 01:32 PM
As if SuperSonics made any sense.

Justin Tyme
07-20-2008, 01:38 PM
Or are you still under the impression that it's the angels bowling?

Are you saying it's not?

Are there any teams called the ThunderBolts? I'm kind of partial to that name if Thunder is going to be used.

pacers31tc
07-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Speaking of natural disaster, how about "OKC Acts of God"?

Tonight Act of God Kevin Durant went for 37...

Trader Joe
07-20-2008, 02:58 PM
The team will be moving again soon enough anyway. Then they can be the Las Vegas Gamblers or Renegades or something like that.

indyman37
07-20-2008, 03:04 PM
"Dwight Howard is a Magic."
They should call each member of the Magic a Magician...
"Dwight Howard is a Magician."

But Thunder, eh.

ajbry
07-20-2008, 03:07 PM
Are there any teams called the ThunderBolts? I'm kind of partial to that name if Thunder is going to be used.

Isn't Thunderbolt an attack you could teach Pikachu?

Hicks
07-20-2008, 03:44 PM
The Thunderbolts to me are the Marvel Comics team.

rexnom
07-20-2008, 03:57 PM
The Thunderbolts to me are the Marvel Comics team.
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/thumb/c/ca/Thunderbolts_1.jpg/300px-Thunderbolts_1.jpg
THANK YOU! One of the biggest plot twists in Marvel Comics history.

kester99
07-20-2008, 04:05 PM
You could call 'em Boomers, I guess. Like thunderboomer. Is anyone using that?

I still like Okeydokes.

DgR
07-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Just curious...where do you think the thunder comes from in a thunderstorm? Or are you still under the impression that it's the angels bowling?

Using this logic they can also be called the "evaporated ocean water"

DgR
07-20-2008, 04:27 PM
They should call each member of the Magic a Magician...
"Dwight Howard is a Magician."

But Thunder, eh.

I think that would cause some confusion with the wizards... :)

Shade
07-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Thunder is okay. I like Thunderbolts more, though.

And, yes, I read the comic. :-p

Pilgrim
07-20-2008, 05:15 PM
This just in...

The new mascot for the Thunder is...

Chick Hicks!

Ca-chinga...Ca-chinga

Whtwudusay
07-20-2008, 05:17 PM
Thunder reminds me of WCW Thunder, WCW's (a now defunct wrestling org) secondary show that never had a card as good as their Monday Night Nitro show.

It works for something cheesy like pro wrestling, but for the NBA? Well, maybe in Oklahoma. I still can't believe they have an NBA team. Wow.

Does this mean Tony Schivoni and Mark Madden could do their TV or radio announcing? I hear they are both looking for work. :D

Doddage
07-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Does this mean Tony Schiavone and Mark Madden could do their TV or radio announcing? I hear they are both looking for work. :D
That would actually force me to watch their games. Seriously.

Whtwudusay
07-20-2008, 06:19 PM
That would actually force me to watch their games. Seriously.

I could imagine it every night, "Live from Oklahoma City, tonight, versus the Grizzlies, is the BIGGEST GAME in Thunder history."

Back on topic, though, I do think Thunder is a pretty weak name. I'm with Jay Redd in generally not digging names that don't end in 's.' Even though I am a White Sox fan.

Arcadian
07-20-2008, 06:35 PM
I wanted Miami to be the Vice.

I am able to use proper grammar and use the plural form and OK saying, "a member of the Vice."

Pacers
07-20-2008, 07:25 PM
This doesn't really necessarily mean that the team will be called the Thunder. Most of the time they let the fans vote on this stuff. They would register all the domains that they wanted for all of their choices before revealing the vote, just to make sure they got what they wanted. So "Thunder" could just be one of five choices, or however many.

And just as evidence to the point, "http://okcbaronsbasketball.com/" has been parked by GoDaddy.

Big Smooth
07-20-2008, 10:11 PM
Oklahoma City Thunder......sounds like a CBA team or NBDL team....but I guess the OKC part would make me think that way regardless of the team name. Not trying to hate on the city, just saying it will take some getting used to.

grace
07-20-2008, 10:18 PM
Indiana Pacers sounds like a horse racing league to me. :shrug:

cgg
07-20-2008, 10:21 PM
Indiana Pacers sounds like a horse racing league to me. :shrug:

I don't even know what a Pacer is supposed to be...

Major Cold
07-20-2008, 10:34 PM
At least it wasn't OKC Bombers.

kester99
07-20-2008, 10:36 PM
There was a car model by Ford (?), called the Pacer, which was named after, depending on who you asked, the Indy500 pacecar, or a pacer type horse. The team was named while the car was still on its way up the peak of popularity...so, either after the car, or like the car, after the 500 pacecar, or the horses.

AMC, not Ford.

And OK, did a little research. The team preceeded the car. The original investors came up with Pacers as a combo reference to the harness raciing horses, and the 500 pacecar.

The AMC Pacer wasn't made until '75. Our Pacers had been around since '67.

count55
07-20-2008, 10:41 PM
There was a car model by Ford (?), called the Pacer, which was named after, depending on who you asked, the Indy500 pacecar, or a pacer type horse. The team was named while the car was still on its way up the peak of popularity...so, either after the car, or like the car, after the 500 pacecar, or the horses.

AMC, not Ford.

The Pacers were named based on both the Indiana Racing tradition and the breeding of pacer type horses. It was said that they were going to "set the pace in the new league."

The AMC Pacer did not come out until 1975, and the Pacers were founded in 67.

kester99
07-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Well, I was checking while you were correcting.

Anyway, the main debate early on seemed to be whether to call the team the Indiana Pacers or the Indianapolis Pacers. Personally, I'm glad they went the way they did.

Raoul Duke
07-20-2008, 11:36 PM
At least it wasn't OKC Bombers.

hahahahahahahaha

Hicks
07-21-2008, 07:51 AM
:rolleyes: Just stop while this line of discussion is behind..... or did you miss the last thread on this? If so, go see it, see the reactions, and realize that I don't want a repeat.

rexnom
07-21-2008, 08:44 AM

Anyway, the main debate early on seemed to be whether to call the team the Indiana Pacers or the Indianapolis Pacers. Personally, I'm glad they went the way they did.
Why so? And do you prefer Indianapolis Colts or Indiana Colts?

count55
07-21-2008, 09:20 AM

Why so? And do you prefer Indianapolis Colts or Indiana Colts?

The idea behind naming the Pacers the "Indiana Pacers" was to draw on a broader fan base. There were originally plans to play in arenas throughout the state, and it seems to me that they may have played a couple of games at Assembly Hall (though I may be wrong about that).

This was a common strategem in the ABA, where teams sought to make up for smaller core markets by expanding them. However, it generally failed. Carolina and Virginia ran into problems with extra expenses (having to maintain more than one office) and the confusion/lack of connection with fans that was caused by the multiple home arenas.

For the Pacers, it worked primarily because Indianapolis and its surrounding area provided a strong core of support. The name stuck simply because it was there first.

As to Indiana Colts vs. Indianapolis Colts, it's really a 6-of-one-half-dozen-of-the-other type of thing. They've been called the "Indianapolis Colts" for 25 years now, so "Indiana Colts" sounds wierd to me. Plus, the Colts were attracted (IIRC) primarily through the efforts made by the city, as opposed to the state, in other words, the city made the initial investment and took the initial risk. However, that's really parsing because there's no question that they draw support from throughout the state, and I'd have no real objection to "Indiana" Colts, other than it just sounds odd to me, now.

Cactus Jax
07-21-2008, 01:00 PM
As Wilbon said on PTI, the only name that would've been cool is Outlaws, partly cause of the way they got the team, and it fits with the name.

ChicagoJ
07-21-2008, 01:08 PM
With Boeing in town, Supersonics made perfect sense. They pioneered flying at greater than the speed of sound there, as much as Indiana pioneered driving race cars at 200+ mph.

JayRedd
07-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Plus, calling them the Indiana Pacers helps encompass the entirety of the state's vast basketball tradition.

That really doesn't apply to football.

ChicagoJ
07-21-2008, 01:14 PM
Plus, calling them the Indiana Pacers helps encompass the entirety of the state's vast basketball tradition.

That really doesn't apply to football.

I'm still surprised the Irsay family allowed the city or state name to be included. The Irsay Family Colts made the most sense to me than and now.

"Its not 'your' team and its not 'our' team, its 'my' team." Yep, Daddy Irsay had a way with words. But its cool now to pretend like that team was popular during its first decade in Indiana when Bobby was still involved. (ha!)

idioteque
07-21-2008, 01:18 PM
I'm still surprised the Irsay family allowed the city or state name to be included. The Irsay Family Colts made the most sense to me than and now.

"Its not 'your' team and its not 'our' team, its 'my' team." Yep, Daddy Irsay had a way with words. But its cool now to pretend like that team was popular during its first decade in Indiana when Bobby was still involved. (ha!)

Well, Irsay is/was right. It is his team. And now, what does it really matter anyway. It's also fun to pretend the Colts were immensely popular in Baltimore in the few seasons before they were moved to Indianapolis.

I don't like Clay Bennett at all but he had a right to move the team from Seattle, it is his team that he bought with his money. No city is entitled to having a professional sports franchise. If I was a multitrillionaire and I was, say, harassed for some reason by the Philadelphia police, I could buy the Eagles and move them just to **** the whole city off if I wasn't violating any leases, the league okayed the move, and if the old owner was willing to sell.

ChicagoJ
07-21-2008, 01:22 PM
Well, Irsay is/was right. And now, what does it really matter anyway.

I don't like Clay Bennett at all but he had a right to move the team from Seattle, it is his team that he bought with his money. No city is entitled to having a professional sports franchise.

Bobby didn't say that to Baltimore, he said it to Indianapolis during his first press conference at the Hoosier Dome.

Hopefully Bennett doesn't repeat THAT mistake. Or else all the Mavericks fans in OKC might just remain Mavericks fans.

idioteque
07-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Bobby didn't say that to Baltimore, he said it to Indianapolis during his first press conference at the Hoosier Dome.

Hopefully Bennett doesn't repeat THAT mistake. Or else all the Mavericks fans in OKC might just remain Mavericks fans.

Was Irsay a jerk? Yes. What he said was technically right but yeah that is a dumb thing to say from a PR standpoint.

Ownagedood
07-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Ya, I agree.. Has potential to be sweet.. And if it is.. Thats the team im taking in franchise mode with the fantasy draft I always do at least once a year. :dance:

(I don't like doing fantasy drafts using the pacers... I rather actually use the pacers then a fake/amazing pacers team..)

Robertmto
07-21-2008, 02:57 PM
DJ White**

Pacers
07-21-2008, 07:53 PM
It's a type of horse, hence grace's comment.

pizza guy
07-22-2008, 02:03 AM
Best part about it is Kevin Durant gets to remake that commercial and take off his Sonics jersey to reveal his Thunder jersey underneath. How many jerseys can one guy have?

Thunder...hmmm...

Honestly, I kinda like it. I'm interested to see their jerseys.

--pizza

Evan_The_Dude
07-22-2008, 06:19 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/warriors/Thunder_Point_150.jpg

Aside from that, naming your team 'Thunder' is beyond wack. There's no swag to it.

I knew if anybody was to beat me to this it would be you. You didn't disappoint.

Spirit
07-22-2008, 08:37 PM
I don't like our team name..

Sollozzo
07-24-2008, 08:19 PM

All's well now. 25 years in Indy, a super bowl championship, a beautiful new stadium, one of the greatest QB's ever in his prime, and 5 straight division championships. And before you know it, the team will have played longer in Indy than in Baltimore.

Maybe it took time for the team to get hugely popular, but winning cures all. I think that's the case with most franchises...especially new teams in small markets. Most of the hugely "popular" teams in pro sports tend to have a lot of championships to their name. I don't think that's a coincidence.

juadam09
07-25-2008, 08:34 PM
OKLAHOMA CITY -- The NBA has filed for trademark rights to six nicknames for the league's new Oklahoma City franchise: Barons, Bison, Energy, Marshalls, Thunder and Wind.

An attorney for the league made the filing Monday with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

Marshal is usually spelled with one l. It's not clear why the league used a variant spelling.

The filing is listed on the patent office's Web site.

The NBA and the team have refused to discuss possible new names for the team formerly known as the Seattle SuperSonics ahead of an official announcement, which has not yet been scheduled. Not quite yet

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3505617

OKLAHOMA CITY -- The NBA has filed for trademark rights to six nicknames for the league's new Oklahoma City franchise: Barons, Bison, Energy, Marshalls, Thunder and Wind.

An attorney for the league made the filing Monday with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

Marshal is usually spelled with one l. It's not clear why the league used a variant spelling.

The filing is listed on the patent office's Web site.

The NBA and the team have refused to discuss possible new names for the team formerly known as the Seattle SuperSonics ahead of an official announcement, which has not yet been scheduled.

indyman37
07-25-2008, 09:21 PM
Barons, Bison, Marshalls, Energy, Wind - Blah.
Thunder - Eh. But better than Bison.

I'm really starting to question the creativity of the league...

Doddage
07-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Wind? lol

kester99
07-25-2008, 11:06 PM
The Mighty Wind!!!

Bball
07-25-2008, 11:11 PM
The NBA needs to get a team named "Lightning" now... That way a sportscaster somewhere will get to say:
"Tonight we had Thunder and Lightning in Corporate Arena. Lightning struck first but the Thunder was soon heard. ..."

-Bball "boom goes the dynamite"

Hicks
07-26-2008, 12:40 AM
Bison!

pizza guy
07-27-2008, 02:04 AM

The NBA and the team have refused to discuss possible new names for the team formerly known as the Seattle SuperSonics ahead of an official announcement, which has not yet been scheduled. Not quite yet

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3505617

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/dungyisgreat/prince.gif

--pizza

(PS- Sorry for poor editing quality. Magic Rat, I am not.)

Roaming Gnome
07-27-2008, 11:56 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/dungyisgreat/prince.gif

--pizza

(PS- Sorry for poor editing quality. Magic Rat, I am not.)

Yep, my thoughts...exactly.

The only thing I think of with wind, is it being "broken":
http://www.breakingwind.com.au/Images/MainLogo.jpg

As for Thunder, I hated it when it was a CBA Basketball franchise name
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/nba-history/images/min/cba/QuadCityThunder.gif

along with:
http://umasshoops.com/history/alumni/lou_roe/pics/rockford_lightning.gif

In all seriousness, I think there is always a lot you can do with "tangible objects" and for some reason Marshals seem pretty slick with having a badge or shield as either a logo or part of one.

cgg
07-27-2008, 09:00 PM
BISON! WOO!

http://duotangoflies.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/bison.jpg

JayRedd
07-27-2008, 09:16 PM
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Whaddya say Graham?