PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey Nets

Jonathan
07-20-2008, 01:26 AM
I believe 100% right now no team in the Eastern Conference has done more to improve the roster more than the New Jersey Nets.

Draft
B Lopez very good big man in a conference that is weak in bigs

Anderson good big that can shoot the ball.

CDR great bench player will come in & be instant offense

Trade R Jefferson for YI & Bobby Simmons

Free agents
Jarvis Hayes & Ed Narijo from Nuggets.

Kuq_e_Zi91
07-20-2008, 01:36 AM
What?! No team in the East has done more than the Nets to improve? I'm sorry man, I beg to differ. What about the Sixers? Elton Brand?

The Jefferson trade surprised me. In my opinion, he was the only one on the team that actually cared. VC is playing on weak knees, he isn't what he used to be. Devin Harris was injured a lot after he arrived. Jefferson for Yi & Simmons? C'mon.

Brook Lopez is a good player, I'll give you that but he still hasn't played a single game in the NBA. I think it's kind of early to say he can hold his own against other Eastern Centers.

I wouldn't even say they've improved, but to say they're the most improved in the East...Guess we'll just agree to disagree.

MillerTime
07-20-2008, 01:38 AM
i agree. They did a lot to their roster this summer. But so have the Pacers and Bird claims that he isnt done yet. NJ is going to be a better team with their new lineup, but still not a contender IMO

Harris
Carter
Simmons
Yi
Williams/Boone

Still isnt that great of a lineup, but definately an approvement from last season

Kstat
07-20-2008, 01:45 AM
Trading Richard Jefferson for Yi....if that isn't a massive step BACK, I don't know what is.

And then they went out and got three of the best 9th men in the NBA... Dooling, Najera and Jarvis.

Speaking of 9th men, the also drafted CDR....

Lopez should be a good player. The rest are all filler so they can tread water until 2010 when they're in Brooklyn and LeBron is a free agent.

Jonathan
07-20-2008, 03:19 AM
The whole deal with Philly is this they have improved with Brand but if they land Josh Smith they are ahead of New Jersey. They have yet to add Josh Smith. Elton Brand does not solve all their problems.

Richard Jefferson was traded b/c him & Mr. Carter are alike & they freed up salary cap room. I do not know what YI will bring to team. I have not seen him play a lot, but he should be very decent NBA Player. I really think CDR is going to be good. I really like his game coming off the bench, he is quick and has a knack for scoring the ball and getting to the line. Jarvis Hayes did an excellent job last year shooting the three ball. Eduardo is a hustle player and does not need the ball to be effective. Ryan Anderson is an added bonus to any roster as well. B Lopez at the tenth pick was a steal. He might not get many minutes but they have a lot of young and talented big man with Boone/Williams/Lopez/Kristic.

Kstat
07-20-2008, 03:39 AM
Jarvis Hayes did an excellent job last year shooting the three ball.

he shot .431 from the field and .376 from the arc last season.

THe sad thing is both of those were career highs.

The whole deal with Philly is this they have improved with Brand but if they land Josh Smith they are ahead of New Jersey. They have yet to add Josh Smith. Elton Brand does not solve all their problems.

Last I checked, (A) Philly was already better than the Nets, and (B) Brand is better than anybody on New Jersey's roster.

The Nets traded away their 2nd best player for a project. They want cap room 2 years from now and really don't care about winning games until then.

Taterhead
07-20-2008, 03:56 AM
Trading Richard Jefferson for Yi....if that isn't a massive step BACK, I don't know what is.

And then they went out and got three of the best 9th men in the NBA... Dooling, Najera and Jarvis.

Speaking of 9th men, the also drafted CDR....

Lopez should be a good player. The rest are all filler so they can tread water until 2010 when they're in Brooklyn and LeBron is a free agent.

I agree, I was definitely shocked by the move. Jefferson is underrated.

But then again I didn't see much of Yi last year.

Kstat
07-20-2008, 03:57 AM
Yi might pan out...in 2 or 3 years.

He definitely won't approach RJ's numbers this year or anytime close.

count55
07-20-2008, 07:55 AM
I have trouble seeing the Nets winning 30 games.

Jonathan
07-20-2008, 10:05 AM
he shot .431 from the field and .376 from the arc last season.

THe sad thing is both of those were career highs.

Those are just stats. How many Detroit Games did you watch last year? He looked good from the arc in the dozen or so games I watched.

Last I checked, (A) Philly was already better than the Nets, and (B) Brand is better than anybody on New Jersey's roster.
I am not arguing this, but Brand sat out all last year. It will take him 30 + games to get back to his old form.

The Nets traded away their 2nd best player for a project. They want cap room 2 years from now and really don't care about winning games until then.
They play in the Eastern Conference and are better than the Bulls & Pacers right now. ATL depends on Josh Smith. I just feel one or two new teams will make the playoffs in the EAST that did not make them last year. I am predicting New Jersey & Miami b/c Beasely is a beast. Team him up with D Wade/Marion and you have a playoff team. The deal with the Pacers is they do not have an established superstar. You need that to make the playoffs in the NBA.

Oneal07
07-20-2008, 10:19 AM
ALL New Jersey ever needed was a bench. I don't know what's taking them so long to make one

JayRedd
07-20-2008, 11:50 AM
NJ is possibly the worst team in the NBA...and that's assuming Vince tries. This is also coming from someone who really likes Devin Harris and Sean Williams.

Kstat
07-20-2008, 11:57 AM
They play in the Eastern Conference and are better than the Bulls & Pacers right now.

...who cares?

Neither Indiana nor Chicago made the playoffs last year.

They are still not even close to any of the 8 teams that made the playoffs this past season.

ajbry
07-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Yi might pan out...in 2 or 3 years.

He definitely won't approach RJ's numbers this year or anytime close.

RJ equates to the East's version of Corey Maggette. Adds nothing to his team except for scoring. His numbers have been empty for years now... except when he played well in the 05-06 playoffs knocking out the Pacers.

I happen to believe VC will produce some really good numbers this season but otherwise their team is terrible.

Jonathan
07-20-2008, 04:49 PM
...who cares?

Neither Indiana nor Chicago made the playoffs last year.

They are still not even close to any of the 8 teams that made the playoffs this past season.

I will make a bet with you the New Jersey Nets make the playoffs. If/when they get eliminated from contention I will buy you two seats under $30 dollars to a Pacer's game. If/when they clinch you will do the same for me? If you live out of state give me your address & I will send you a gas card for twenty dollars DEAL?

maragin
07-20-2008, 05:32 PM
IMO, the Nets are in full rebuild mode. They've done a good job setting themselves up to succeed in 2010.

They'll get another lottery pick in the next draft, and position themselves for the future. I won't be surprised if they start sitting Carter to go into full tank mode around February.

Kstat
07-20-2008, 06:43 PM
I will make a bet with you the New Jersey Nets make the playoffs. If/when they get eliminated from contention I will buy you two seats under $30 dollars to a Pacer's game. If/when they clinch you will do the same for me? If you live out of state give me your address & I will send you a gas card for twenty dollars DEAL?

Fine by me, deal.

Kegboy
07-20-2008, 07:29 PM
They still have a crappy coach.

pacergod2
07-21-2008, 12:13 PM
The Nets are such a team of extremes. Look at their roster. They have players that they consider long term options (being core players or just cheap) and Players who are expiring prior to 2010 or tradeable pieces.

Core guys for the future include: Devin Harris, Yi Jianlian, Chris Douglas-Roberts, Brook Lopez,

Cheap: Maurice Ager, Josh Boone, Sean Williams, and Ryan Anderson

Expiring: Bobby Simmons, Eduardo Najera, Trenton Hassell, Jarvis Hayes, and Stromile Swift

That leaves Marcus Williams, Nenad Krstic, and Vince Carter. I think their plan is to trade Vince at the deadline to a contender needing a wing player. See LA Clippers. The nets do not see M. Williams as part of their future and will trade he and either Sean Williams or Josh Boone, who are sweeteners and are very similar future backups. I like Sean alot if I am a GM.

They are NOT a playoff team at this point. They will end up trading away Krstic, Carter, and Marcus and Sean Wiliams by the end of the season. End up with a nice Lottery pick, and be looking like they could have a VERY VERY solid team to surround LeBron with in 2010/11.

Rajah Brown
07-21-2008, 01:10 PM
I'm with KStat. The Nets have a better shot at winning 30 or fewer
games than they do making the EC playoffs.

naptownmenace
07-21-2008, 01:18 PM
I have trouble seeing the Nets winning 30 games.

Definitely. The only reason they were close to making the playoffs last year was because of RJ. Yi, Lopez, and CDR might be good in another 2-3 seasons but I expect a lot of losses this season.

In the East Philly, Indy, and even the Heat have improved more than the Nets IMHO.

Jonathan
07-21-2008, 01:31 PM
Do you think Bobby Simmons can get back into the form that lead him into a big contract? He was injured last year and has a new start. He will get minutes.
Devin Harris is a very good PG. Vince Carter is a superstar and they have young quality big men.
It is up to the Management
If they are close to making the playoffs they have some young players & draft picks they could package to get another quality player ie Marion (Heat).

BorisD
07-21-2008, 02:28 PM
They still have a crappy coach.
I'm with the others on this board who see the Nets as being a bottom-feeder this year (exactly what you'd expect from a team led by Wince Carter), but I disagree intensely with this statement. I think Lawrence Frank is one of the few best coaches in the NBA right now, he's done a magnificent job getting that team to overachieve for years.

Not that it's saying much, but he absolutely humiliated Sam Mitchell in the 2007 playoffs.