PDA

View Full Version : McRoberts will not make the roster

MillerTime
07-20-2008, 12:24 AM
You guys think McRobers will make the roster? This guy is horrible. Watch him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NElaIEymBb4&feature=related

LoneGranger33
07-20-2008, 12:26 AM
Dude, I don't mean to be a douche, prick, or druggy, but I fear you're going to get banned if you keep making threads.

Unclebuck
07-20-2008, 12:26 AM
proves nothing to me

MillerTime
07-20-2008, 12:36 AM
Dude, I don't mean to be a douche, prick, or druggy, but I fear you're going to get banned if you keep making threads.

just a question...why would i be banned?

underwave
07-20-2008, 12:37 AM
i think i saw the game and he wasn't crying. he was keep saying something to himself. it doesn't prove his ability but it sure shows his mentality.

LoneGranger33
07-20-2008, 12:38 AM
just a question...why would i be banned?

Maybe banned was a strong word. It's just that you started three threads in a matter of minutes - and they are a bit repetitive, though you may have missed these debates already.

Roaming Gnome
07-20-2008, 12:41 AM
This thread is idiotic...

Whoopty do, the man got choked up...

I guess Reggie was a wuss too for crying acording to your logic, right?

PR07
07-20-2008, 03:25 AM
He obviously wasn't crying. It looked like he was yelling into the towel.

Why he will make the roster?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOuzofoWwzA&feature=related

MillerTime
07-20-2008, 03:36 AM
the reason I said he wouldnt make the roster, is not because he was crying. That actually shows that he cares about his game and he is passionate.

The reason I said he wont make the roster is because how many mistakes and turnovers he had. He was just turning the ball over again and again. And he doesnt looke like much of an athlete compared to the players we have now

Big Smooth
07-20-2008, 03:38 AM
He obviously wasn't crying. It looked like he was yelling into the towel.

Why he will make the roster?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOuzofoWwzA&feature=related

Yes, seeing him tear it up against the likes of Valpo, St John's and Biston University really puts it all in perspective. lol

The only roster that McRoberts can make MIGHT be in Fort Wayne. Maybe. That is about it.

Big Smooth
07-20-2008, 03:40 AM
This thread is idiotic...

Whoopty do, the man got choked up...

I guess Reggie was a wuss too for crying acording to your logic, right?

Reggie actually had talent though.

croz24
07-20-2008, 03:41 AM
mcroberts is a b!tch who most certainly will not make the team. the kid couldn't even start in the nbdl...my favorite part of the vid is 28sec in. check the ticker...

Taterhead
07-20-2008, 03:43 AM
I wouldn't go this far. McRoberts showed a nice feel for the game at Duke, and I think he's young enough to still develop into a pretty descent reserve. I agree he is never going to take the NBA by storm. And it's likely he will always be a 12-15th man in the league. But I wouldn't write him off yet. He has some skills.

Doddage
07-20-2008, 05:01 AM
Hansborough >>>>>> McRoberts

Justin Tyme
07-20-2008, 05:08 AM
Bored?

McRoberts and his abilities have already been discussed indepth in another thread. Why do you want to re-hash the subject? Wouldn't it just be easier to go re-read the thread at midnight instead of starting a new one?

McRoberts was salary filler in a trade, and he will be lucky to make the roster. That pretty much sums it up for McRoberts.

cramerica
07-20-2008, 05:45 AM
At first, I wasn't to sure what to think about him. But after seeing how much you guys complain about somebody on our team really makes me hope this guy makes it with the P's and gets substantial playing time. You guys are ridiculous.

Robertmto
07-20-2008, 09:45 AM
ummmm are there any youtube highlights of the kid absolutely dominating Oden in HS? Hell they wouldn't even let Oden guard him most of the time. It was embarrassing, not to mention seeing McBob destroying him at Spiece practice every day too.

Jonathan
07-20-2008, 10:00 AM
McRoberts if he makes the team he will not get many minutes; no need for negativity towards him. Was Eddie Gill hated on the forum when he was on roster?

Anthem
07-20-2008, 10:03 AM
The reason I said he wont make the roster is because how many mistakes and turnovers he had. He was just turning the ball over again and again. And he doesnt looke like much of an athlete compared to the players we have now
You know that's a HIGHLIGHT video, right? Or, in this case, a "lowlight" video.

I mean, you could easily make one of those for Kobe, LeBron, even Reggie.

pacers31tc
07-20-2008, 10:17 AM
I'm not sure if he'll make it or not, I just hope that he doesn't, we can do a lot better. They may keep him though and he'll be the 15th guy.

idioteque
07-20-2008, 12:23 PM
The hate for McRoberts on this board is absolutely ridiculous. I hope he makes the roster just so that it pisses all of you people off. And the most hilarious thing is some of the people who hate him are probably just mad because they may have knew him vaguely in high school and because they were jealous of him, decided to call him "cocky" and "arrogant" when they didn't know him any more than a bump into him on accident in the hallway junior year. Really it's pretty pathetic.

Like Anthem said, you could make a lowlight video like this for any player that has ever played in the NBA. You could make one for Kareem, Magic, MJ, or if you're looking for it MillerTime, even Austin Croshere.

YoSoyIndy
07-20-2008, 12:32 PM
The hate for McRoberts on this board is absolutely ridiculous. I hope he makes the roster just so that it pisses all of you people off. And the most hilarious thing is some of the people who hate him are probably just mad because they may have knew him vaguely in high school and because they were jealous of him, decided to call him "cocky" and "arrogant" when they didn't know him any more than a bump into him on accident in the hallway junior year. Really it's pretty pathetic.

Like Anthem said, you could make a lowlight video like this for any player that has ever played in the NBA. You could make one for Kareem, Magic, MJ, or if you're looking for it MillerTime, even Austin Croshere.

The majority of people on this board didn't go to high school w/ him, but your argument is close. People don't like him because he's from Carmel and went to Duke. Indiana has consistently disliked percieved rich kids who go out of state.

PR07
07-20-2008, 02:33 PM
From a purely athletic standpoint, McRoberts looks better than Murphy, Hibbert, and Travis Diener, so I don't buy he's not as athletic as the other guys we have. I'm not going to mention Tinsley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-9-VJNbnEE

Go to the 2:07 mark to the 3 minute mark, and I guarantee you those three players couldn't do anything like that.

The hate on here is pretty unfounded. Maybe the kid was a jerk in high school, I don't know, but I think we should give him a clean slate and an open mind coming in.

Trader Joe
07-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Josh McRoberts has a tremendous amount of athleticism. Anyone who says differently hasn't seen him play enough basketball. I must agree with that sentiment.

idioteque
07-20-2008, 04:34 PM
McRoberts is an incredibly athletic player who always had a decent to slightly better than average jump shot in college. His main problem is defense, his defense is just not very good at all.

He seems to be able to run the floor very well. There are real questions about his heart and desire but if he can buck up and work hard he could be a decent reserve. The closest Pacer I could compare him to is Fred Jones, which isn't a very good comparison. He could be a purely athletic player like Fred but honestly I think McRoberts has more touch than Fred ever did and obviously plays a much different position.

NuffSaid
07-20-2008, 04:45 PM
I'm sure alot of people said similar things about JO when we first got him. And look how that trade turned out...for a time anyway, and it was a good time early on. McRoberts just needs a chance to show what he can do. Regardless, let's not forget that so-called "highlight reel" was from his college days. And as we all have seen, college players will get emotional especially if it's a big game. (BTW, a big game doesn't have to be the conference championship or the NCAA tournament. It could be as simple as coming up against your team's biggest rival or the nemesis the media has played up, i.e., McRoberts -vs- Hibbert.) It' happens. They eventually do get over it. So should you.:rolleyes:

Sidenote: We have no idea how well any of the Pacers' new acquisitions will pan out. The hope is they all do well. So, here's wishing them all "Good Luck!"

maragin
07-20-2008, 05:46 PM
If he's a Pacer, I'll be rooting for him.

jeffg-body
07-20-2008, 11:09 PM
I have to agree. The guy is a Pacer now and I am gonna root for him. His story is similar to a recent past Pacer who sat in Purgatory at the end of the Blazers bench waiting to get some sort of a shot.

I also agree that he does not have JO's dominant body and skill set from that time, but let's give the guy a chance.

NuffSaid
07-21-2008, 12:12 AM
i think i saw the game and he wasn't crying. he was keep saying something to himself. it doesn't prove his ability but it sure shows his mentality.
Like I said, college players (and sometimes even the pros) get emotional. It happens.

What mentality does it show? That he's easily frustrated or that he cares about fair play and gets angry when it's not properly demonstrated? That he wants to win very badly or that he's a sore loser? That he wants to put his best efforts forward and gets upset with himself when he falls short indicating that he puts more pressure on himself than anyone else can? Exactly what mentality did he show? Answer: Any of the above. Truth is, unless you ask him what he was thinking and/or feeling at that time you really don't know. MillerTime renders a good guess (see below) and I'd venture to say he's more right than wrong, but still unless you heard his side of the story you really don't know.

the reason I said he wouldnt make the roster, is not because he was crying. That actually shows that he cares about his game and he is passionate.

The reason I said he wont make the roster is because how many mistakes and turnovers he had. He was just turning the ball over again and again. And he doesnt looke like much of an athlete compared to the players we have nowPerhaps you should watch the video PRO7 suggests and maybe your impression of his lack of athleticism will change.

Yes, seeing him tear it up against the likes of Valpo, St John's and Biston University really puts it all in perspective.Dude had to play the schedule his school was given. That's not something McRobert's can control. What I saw from the video PRO7 provided was a Big with good court vision, very good passing ability, quick hands, solid footwork and lateral movement around the tim, someone who can run the floor very well AND can read the defense.

Yeah it was against schools like Valpo, St. John's Boston U, Univ. of NC-Greensboro and some school with the abbreviation BUCK (could be Buckhorn...I don't know), but for 5 games the boy looked damned good!

Instead of trying to down him for showing his emotions or performing well against lesser known collegate teams, why not give the guy his props and simply say, "Well Done!"?

LoneGranger33
07-21-2008, 12:23 AM
That's either Bucknell or Uncle Buck.

JayRedd
07-21-2008, 12:31 AM
Yes, seeing him tear it up against the likes of St John's really puts it all in perspective

I'll fight you.

Also...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...ke_stjohns_ap/ (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/college/news/2003/03/02/duke_stjohns_ap/)

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2000/...in165431.shtml

When's the last time Purdue or Indiana won in Cameron?

Major Cold
07-21-2008, 01:28 AM
He is terrible

He has a shot at least

Could crack the rotation

Potential starter

With a legit Center he might be a double double guy

Paul would make him a 20/10 dude

All-Star if he was on a winning team

Elite scorer against most bigs

Could be a HOF with 15 more seasons like this

The above comments might happen if this thread continues. Lets give him a shot before we behead him or crown him.

Naptown_Seth
07-21-2008, 02:07 AM
The final 4-5 minutes of game 5 in 1991 when the Celtics big 3 nearly choked the game away to the Rifleman with a serious of mistakes and TOs.

lavell12
07-21-2008, 01:11 PM

you realize that you could do the same video for any player in the league if you compiled all his TOs, you could make Kobe look awful. Not that I'm comparing just making a point it was obviously made by a Tar Heel fan.

lavell12
07-21-2008, 01:13 PM
McRoberts is an incredibly athletic player who always had a decent to slightly better than average jump shot in college. His main problem is defense, his defense is just not very good at all.

He seems to be able to run the floor very well. There are real questions about his heart and desire but if he can buck up and work hard he could be a decent reserve. The closest Pacer I could compare him to is Fred Jones, which isn't a very good comparison. He could be a purely athletic player like Fred but honestly I think McRoberts has more touch than Fred ever did and obviously plays a much different position.

He made the all defensive team of the ACC.

Dukins
07-21-2008, 01:19 PM
He will make the roster now, that S. Williams broke his thin ice.

Speed
07-21-2008, 01:25 PM
He just has to 1.) Get over being rated the best highschool senior in his classe and not getting drafted high.

2.) Exploit his skills while limiting his shortcomings.

I think he has the tools to be a unique player and I guess you could compare him to Murphy, but he's a better ball handler and passer, but a fraction of the shooter. (I won't go into Murphy gets a bad rap)

He's really interesting at 6'11" and a small forwards skill set but a power forwards size, but not the ability to guard either position (which I hate in a player).

Again he has to get his head right in being determined and focused.

Then, I'd have him putting up 1000 shots a day for he rest of his career.

See what happens from there.

idioteque
07-21-2008, 01:40 PM
He made the all defensive team of the ACC.

And there are scouting reports all over the internet of him getting blown away by D-League players. Maybe he is a better defender than he leads on and he just wasn't trying in the D-League (which is what some are saying). I'm not trying to be down on McRoberts, I am probably more sympathetic for him than anyone else on this board and I am rooting for him, I'd love it if he developed into a legit NBA player and was our starting PF.

Your avatar hurts, though. I am a GW grad. :(