PDA

View Full Version : Shawne Williams makes the news again

Pages : [1] 2

lafayettepacer
07-19-2008, 04:35 PM
It looks like Shawne is making news again, hanging out with his friends.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080719/SPORTS04/80719006

imawhat
07-19-2008, 04:38 PM
It looks like Shawne is making news again, hanging out with his friends.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080719/SPORTS04/80719006

I know this is rather minor, but goodbye Shawne!

kester99
07-19-2008, 04:41 PM
Is that sound of ice breaking? Sprawl, Shawne, sprawl! Go flat and try to distribute your weight evenly!

Oh, that's not going to work, I think. This could make a lot of 'should-we-keep-him?' discussions irrelevant.

ajbry
07-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Why would he let his friend carry weed in his car? Stupid.

Later Shawne.

imawhat
07-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Also, want to point out that he's still hanging with the same people.

Maybe this is why he was on thin ice to begin with. I had a feeling that there is/was something that we didn't know.

Elgin56
07-19-2008, 04:45 PM
But he is just a kid, remember defenders?

31andonly
07-19-2008, 04:49 PM
Wanna start a poll?

Will he stay or will he go before the season starts?

Pacemaker
07-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Wanna start a poll?

Will he stay or will he go before the season starts?

Lets finish up cleaning the house !!! :mad: Stupid Shawne :mad:

Kuq_e_Zi91
07-19-2008, 04:55 PM
Man, that's too bad. Maybe he didn't know his friend had weed since it was just a small amount.

I'm kind of on the fence with this one. He didn't really do anything (again) but he's still to blame somewhat.

Bird's probably tired of hearing about him, but I say he stays. I don't think he's a bad person, he just can't shake his friends, which isn't always easy to do.

BlueNGold
07-19-2008, 04:56 PM
He is a SF with some talent, but he is outta here now. Good bye because we have several other players, including 2 better than him to handle the position. Hopefully he can still be an asset in a trade...

Shade
07-19-2008, 05:00 PM
Oy. :shakehead

Thank your "friends" for possibly ruining a promising career, Shawne.

maragin
07-19-2008, 05:05 PM
I'm not really bothered by this, which probably puts me in the minority.

I've also never touched the stuff, which also puts me in the minority (it would seem).

duke dynamite
07-19-2008, 05:07 PM

Are we still on the Bandwagon? lol

kester99
07-19-2008, 05:10 PM
I'm not really bothered by this, which probably puts me in the minority.

I've also never touched the stuff, which also puts me in the minority (it would seem).

Doesn't matter what we think, of course...only what Bird thinks, and what he thinks we think. I think.

Shade
07-19-2008, 05:11 PM
Are we still on the Bandwagon? lol

You can stay on it if you want while I plunge it into the nearest BLC.

imawhat
07-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Man, that's too bad. Maybe he didn't know his friend had weed since it was just a small amount.

I'm kind of on the fence with this one. He didn't really do anything (again) but he's still to blame somewhat.

This is why he's to blame.

Story from a couple of weeks ago

http://http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080704/SPORTS04/807040415/1004/SPORTS

The 17th pick in the 2006 draft, Williams said he has tried to streamline his life to playing basketball, working out and going home, away from trouble. He said he no longer associates with some people in his life, even relatives.

Apparently Shawne was lying.

Robertmto
07-19-2008, 05:18 PM
SMH @ all you guys. He didn't get charged with anything. Did u read it?

Anyways, we'll gladly take Shawne off ur hands.

Hicks
07-19-2008, 05:20 PM
Well, so long, Shawne. I won't demonize you, but you clearly haven't "gotten it" either, and I think Bird's done with you. Given the Pacers' circumstances lately, I won't blame him a bit for trading you.

On the possible plus side, you could use Shawne with Tinsley if you still think you can trade Jamaal.

Jonathan
07-19-2008, 05:26 PM
Shawne did nothing wrong. A small amount of weed, no big deal. This story is should not have even made the news.

imawhat
07-19-2008, 05:26 PM

Unfortunately that's not the point, anymore. The point is that the franchise is heading in the right direction, and the last thing they need is the word "Pacers" associated with criminal/legal trouble. Guilty by association, pun intended.

Kuq_e_Zi91
07-19-2008, 05:33 PM
No I agree without a doubt. He's still to blame, which is what I said in my first post. I just don't think it's that serious. He wasn't the one with the weed, he just wasn't wearing a seatbelt. Is not wearing a seatbelt enough for Bird to let him go?

It does show a pattern though, which is concerning. I want him to stay and hope Sam Perkins can reach him.

Hicks
07-19-2008, 05:34 PM
Shawne did nothing wrong. A small amount of weed, no big deal. This story is should not have even made the news.

I don't think that's even the point any more, even though I tend to agree with you. It's a perception issue, and with most folks, perception = reality, and it's just not going to lead to good things in Indiana (and I'm sure there are other places like that as well). The Pacers are on the verge or truly starting a new era with a clean P.R. slate, and they likely won't tolerate this. Shawne is probably done as a Pacer.

Taterhead
07-19-2008, 05:35 PM
I wonder why this is even a story?

Shawne has gotten quite a bit of criticism for someone who's biggest legal trouble has been driving on a suspended license.

Robertmto
07-19-2008, 05:38 PM
If Bird sees this as the last straw he is even worse than I though he was as a figurehead

imawhat
07-19-2008, 05:39 PM
Until he failed to make his court appearance.

Trader Joe
07-19-2008, 06:00 PM

This is HIS fault. He refuses to think when choosing those that he associates with. Say it with me now Shawne is STUPID, S-T-U-P-I-D, STUPID. He does not think. To me it seems his brain is permanently stuck on off. He is never going to get it. Time to boot him on the door. Here the Pacers brass has done a lot of work getting rid of people that irritate the fanbase. They have basically said Tinsley is gone, and they have publicly WARNED Shawne. Yet he does not seem to understand. Shawne will be out of the league entirely in two years.

Trader Joe
07-19-2008, 06:03 PM
If Bird sees this as the last straw he is even worse than I though he was as a figurehead

Please, Shawne is too dumb to ever be a successful player in the NBA. The talent is there, the brain is not.

Shawne has a pattern of poor decisions and no matter how much heat is put on him he refuses to change. What will take it for him to change? Clearly being told that he is one screw up away from going under is not enough.

If you want Shawne you mind taking Tinsley as well, since you don't see Shawne as a PR nightmare. I mean I'm pretty sure the police record for the two of them is same size in length. If anything Shawne's is a little longer, and he has managed to compile it in a much shorter amount of time.

BlueNGold
07-19-2008, 06:17 PM
And the beat goes on...

How many times have we seen threads like this? There's the group that condemns and the group that splains.

Well, the last 4 years should have educated us all that when you hang with trouble...or expose yourself to it, you get in trouble...even when you hide behind tinted windows.

It is extremely unlikely he didn't know it was in the car. With that said, it shows he: 1) Disregards probably the most important issue concerning his employer and 2) Doesn't have the sense to keep the weed out of a moving vehicle.

Actually #2 is more bothersome. It indicates he's less likely to learn from mistake and reel in these types of issues.

Well, the Pacers don't have 5 years for him to learn to grow up. They can't risk that sometime this summer or fall or winter or spring or summer...man, that's a long time.

Anyway, his presence on the team is not going to make or break it. This squad will not contend for several years and by that time we should have a real PF and Danny Granger will own the SF position.

Good bye, Shawne. ...and good luck...lots of it.

JayRedd
07-19-2008, 06:18 PM
This guy is awesome.

LoneGranger33
07-19-2008, 06:20 PM
You think we can swing a trade for Redick?

Tom White
07-19-2008, 06:31 PM

I was hoping when he gave his "I got rid of those friends" talk that he was getting it together.

Now all I can say is, Robertmto, you guys can have him. Quicker the better.

avoidingtheclowns
07-19-2008, 06:31 PM

i dunno but i'm sure we could get that stagga fella

Robertmto
07-19-2008, 06:58 PM
I was hoping when he gave his "I got rid of those friends" talk that he was getting it together.

Now all I can say is, Robertmto, you guys can have him. Quicker the better.

you would think, eventually, Bird would understand trading down in talent for PR purposes doesn't win games :p

Jose Slaughter
07-19-2008, 07:00 PM
Does anyone know why they stopped the car?

It doesn't mention it in the Star article.

I'm reminded of a line from a Parliment song, Aqua Boogie ...........

I can't swim

JayRedd
07-19-2008, 07:02 PM
The tinted windows, I would imagine.

Doddage
07-19-2008, 07:08 PM
:laugh:... you replaced Rush with Redick?

Hicks
07-19-2008, 07:13 PM
This guy is awesome.

*winds up cup of beer to throw at JR, remembers last thread, holds onto beer.*

Hicks
07-19-2008, 07:15 PM
What further makes it "bad" is that he KNOWS he's under scrutiny right now, and that the Pacers in general are as well, and yet let this happen. In isolation this is "nothing", but now, with what he's aware of concerning his job and its environment? Just dumb.

BillS
07-19-2008, 07:17 PM
At least in my quick skim of the comments to the IndyStar article, it looks like this isn't sticking to the Pacers so much as becoming a slam on Carmel for pulling people over on DWB (Driving While Black) charges.

Could Shawne be teflon?

D-BONE
07-19-2008, 07:17 PM
Not that concerned about the actual incident as I am at what his rep is doing to any trade value he might have. Becoming somewhat of a Tinsley situation in that regard?

Tom White
07-19-2008, 07:18 PM
you would think, eventually, Bird would understand trading down in talent for PR purposes doesn't win games :p

Because Williams has displayed so much talent?

I think the loss of Williams would be minimal, if not unnoticable.

Odd as it may sound, I think some people are fans of his more for his "notoriety" than his playing. By the way, I don't neccessarily mean you.

I am also sure that a number of fans are waiting to see if Bird sticks to his guns on this situation, or lets another incident pass by responding with only words instead of actions.

Ramitt
07-19-2008, 07:18 PM
But it might bring fans back and put buts in seats to make money, which is really what the NBA is all about. If non of the other problems the pacers have had over the last several years had not happened this would be insignificant, but unfortunatly that taint is on Shawne and he knew it. Personally I am not going to carry a burning torche chasing him out of town, but if bird decides to move him, I will understand it.

Tom White
07-19-2008, 07:20 PM
*winds up cup of beer to throw at JR, remembers last thread, holds onto beer.*

Deja Brew - We have all been beer before.

Lord Helmet
07-19-2008, 07:20 PM
So what was the official count on how long we went before another Pacer making the news in a negative way?

We get to start the timer again, now. :unimpress

speakout4
07-19-2008, 07:23 PM

You are certainly correct but with the history of this team and the worst attendance in the nba the Simons don't want to be embarrassed anymore. Back to milk drinkers until we outgrow the image of the last few years. Bird has been given marching orders to clean up the mess which means that they will unload shawne to a team that isn't as concerned with image as the pacers. The whole Pacer team is on probation.

Hicks
07-19-2008, 07:24 PM
At least in my quick skim of the comments to the IndyStar article, it looks like this isn't sticking to the Pacers so much as becoming a slam on Carmel for pulling people over on DWB (Driving While Black) charges.

Could Shawne be teflon?

I'd be surprised if he turns out to be teflon. I don't think he was teflon the other two times, was he?

speakout4
07-19-2008, 07:30 PM
I feel sorry for Shawne. He is paying for the sins of Ron, Jackson,Tinsley and some of the rest. He didn't really do anything terrible and on another team this would not be as big a deal.

Justin Tyme
07-19-2008, 07:31 PM
I stated a couple of times in the Shawne Williams thread of a week or so ago that this was exactly why the Pacers couldn't afford to keep him! Yet, there were those that said "he's got so much potential, we can't afford to let him go." Yep, the potential to ruin what TPTB have been striving so hard to overcome... a bad image with the community. Williams is nothing, but a PR nightmare ready to happen. And it did.

He and Tinsley can't let go of their posse/friends. It's past time to let them go. Package the 2 together if for nothing else a bad contract, and get rid of those 2 PR nightmares waiting to happen. As far as I'm concerned, Quis can go to.

Oh btw Shawne, Stephen Graham wants to thank you for the extra PT this coming season!;)

Peck
07-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Look I hate to beat the conspiracy drum here, oh who am I kidding I love to beat that drum.

But....

If he had tinted windows and that is the reason they pulled him over, perfectly within Law Enforcements juridiction in Indiana, why did they search his passenger to find pot?

If all that was for tinted windows the encounter should have happened as follows.

Car pulled over.

Officer safely approaches vehicle.

Driver of vehicle rolls down window to speak with officer.

Officer asks for Licence & registration.

Driver produces said items.

Officer returns to vehichle and does a computer search on both the car and the driver to verify who the person is they say they are, see if there are any previous citations and check for outstanding warrents.

If all clear officer returns to car with citation in hand and advises driver of how to pay for the ticket and or court date.

Officer tell driver to drive safely and then returns to his car.

Driver drives away.

That is in an ideal setting.

So here is my conspiracy & I will pick on both Carmel and Shawne here for a moment.

Suburban Police officer with way to much money and time on his hands see a dark colored SUV with tinted beyond Indiana allowed limits windows.

Upon closer inspection he see's the occupents are young adult Blacks.

Officer pulls over vehicle.

(ok that is my nod to those who want to believe the DWB part about this, which is totally possible btw)

Now here is the part about Shawne.

Officer approachs vehicle to do initial quesitoning.

As window goes down officer immediately smells the scent of a musty smelling weed, not tobacco.

Officer radios for backup.

Officer advises each motorist to exit the vehicle slowly.

Officer see's substance and questions who's this is.

Occupent (not the driver) knows where this is headed and immediatly either takes verbal or physical charge of the weed. In other words if he claims it's his, it's a misdomeaner and his meal ticket may not lose his job.

Officer questions everyone about item.

Only occupent claims it's his. As officer has no proof that it is anyone else's and no probable cause to do a chemical test on the driver.

Driver is given a citation about the windows and apperantly a seat belt and is told to drive safely away.

Occupent is taken into custody where he will be booked and released.

Ok, that is my attempt at two possible scenarios.

I'm not saying either happened but it is possible.

idioteque
07-19-2008, 07:38 PM
Trade him now. I don't even care what for. He is stupid. His brain does not function. Trade him for anything. I'd do a Tractor Trailor for Williams trade in a heartbeat.

Shawne does not understand what he should and shouldn't be doing at all. Is he TRYING to **** away all the money and effort the team has taken this offseason to rebuilding its image? This would be like Shawne in a desk job setting taking paperwork someone has given him to do that's crucial to the company's survival and pissing on it and setting it on fire. He doesn't think. The ice has broken.

For MTO:

Trade ID
Trade ID #4733112 (http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=4733112)

Every trade made by fans is allocated a unique Trade ID which you can share with friends and fellow basketball fans to allow them to see your trade scenario.

Try Another Trade (http://www.realgm.com/src_tradechecker/1/) or visit our Trade Forum (http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=2).

Indiana Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: 0.0 ppg, 0.0 rpg, and 0.0 apg.

<TABLE class=breakdowntable width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TH scope=col colSpan=2>Incoming Players</TH></TR><TR><TD class=photo>http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/2006/Young_Nick_was.jpg </TD><TD>Nick Young
6-6 SG from USC
No games yet played in 2007/08
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=breakdowntable width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TH scope=col colSpan=2>Outgoing Players</TH></TR><TR><TD class=photo>http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/2006/Williams_Shawne_ind.jpg </TD><TD>Shawne Williams
6-9 PF from Memphis
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Washington Trade Breakdown

<TABLE class=breakdowntable width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TH scope=col colSpan=2>Incoming Players</TH></TR><TR><TD class=photo>http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/2006/Williams_Shawne_ind.jpg </TD><TD>Shawne Williams
6-9 PF from Memphis
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=breakdowntable width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TH scope=col colSpan=2>Outgoing Players</TH></TR><TR><TD class=photo>http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/2006/Young_Nick_was.jpg </TD><TD>Nick Young
6-6 SG from USC
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hell, I'd do the trade for Blatche.

aero
07-19-2008, 07:40 PM
this should pretty much seal the deal on his pacers career

avoidingtheclowns
07-19-2008, 07:41 PM
Trade ID
Trade ID #4733112 (http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=4733112)

Every trade made by fans is allocated a unique Trade ID which you can share with friends and fellow basketball fans to allow them to see your trade scenario.

Try Another Trade (http://www.realgm.com/src_tradechecker/1/) or visit our Trade Forum (http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=2).

Indiana Trade Breakdown

<table class="breakdowntable" width="100%"><tbody><tr><th scope="col" colspan="2">Incoming Players</th></tr><tr><td class="photo">http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/2006/Young_Nick_was.jpg </td><td>Nick Young
6-6 SG from USC
</td></tr></tbody></table><table class="breakdowntable" width="100%"><tbody><tr><th scope="col" colspan="2">Outgoing Players</th></tr><tr><td class="photo">http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/2006/Williams_Shawne_ind.jpg </td><td>Shawne Williams
6-9 PF from Memphis
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Washington Trade Breakdown

<table class="breakdowntable" width="100%"><tbody><tr><th scope="col" colspan="2">Incoming Players</th></tr><tr><td class="photo">http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/2006/Williams_Shawne_ind.jpg </td><td>Shawne Williams
6-9 PF from Memphis
</td></tr></tbody></table><table class="breakdowntable" width="100%"><tbody><tr><th scope="col" colspan="2">Outgoing Players</th></tr><tr><td class="photo">http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/2006/Young_Nick_was.jpg </td><td>Nick Young
6-6 SG from USC
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Hell, I'd do the trade for Blatche.

yeah you might. but the wizards certainly don't.

Ramitt
07-19-2008, 07:42 PM
I feel sorry for Shawne. He is paying for the sins of Ron, Jackson,Tinsley and some of the rest. He didn't really do anything terrible and on another team this would not be as big a deal.
I basically agree with you, but Shawne knows the score.

idioteque
07-19-2008, 07:46 PM
yeah you might. but the wizards certainly don't.

Is Nick Young really good? I know about as much about the Wizards as I do physics. I have lived in DC since 2004 and have never watched one Wizards game on TV where they weren't playing the Pacers.

I'd trade for Blanche or whatever his name is then. I can't find Tractor Trailor on their RealGM roster.

Tom White
07-19-2008, 07:49 PM
Driver is given a citation about the windows and apperantly a seat belt and is told to drive safely away.

Didn't the article say the vehicle did not belong to Williams? It could be that the officer checked the registration and plates and found that the actual owner had priors, thus inspiring the search.

speakout4
07-19-2008, 07:50 PM
Every one is going to be a lot more tolerant of Pacer players once the irritating Tinsley is officially gone. No point in blaming a kid for being more stupid than talented.

BlueNGold
07-19-2008, 08:06 PM
Didn't the article say the vehicle did not belong to Williams? It could be that the officer checked the registration and plates and found that the actual owner had priors, thus inspiring the search.

The officers could search the car if they made a lawful arrest, potentially due to the tinted windows. If they smelled mj or saw a bag, they have probable cause to search the entire vehicle including the trunk. If only an arrest based search, they can search the wing span of the driver (which is significant with Shawne) including the glove box....and find the drugs hidden there.

As for Shawne not owning the vehicle, I do find that particularly interesting. I happen to believe that it may have been pre-planned. That is, if contraband is found in a vehicle you do not own, you are less likely to be charged. I could be wrong.

Justin Tyme
07-19-2008, 08:07 PM
It all boils down to accountability for ones actions. There are some that never believe they are or have to be accountable for their actions.

What's the odds that Bird won't be drafting another 19/20 year old in coming drafts?

ajbry
07-19-2008, 08:15 PM
Is Nick Young really good? I know about as much about the Wizards as I do physics. I have lived in DC since 2004 and have never watched one Wizards game on TV where they weren't playing the Pacers.

I'd trade for Blanche or whatever his name is then. I can't find Tractor Trailor on their RealGM roster.

Nick Young is damn good. He'd garner a lot more in the trade market than Shawne Williams. And he won't be on the trade market anytime soon.

Blatche is an immature headcase with legal troubles of his own...

avoidingtheclowns
07-19-2008, 08:16 PM

i don't think the wizards trade either for shawne. nick young was a fan favorite last year and showed a bit more than shawne did his rookie year. blatche finally seemed to be 'getting' it last season though he doesn't appear to be a likely candidate for a full-time starting role (even if antawn weren't re-signed.) the wizards would be interested in shawne, sure. but i can't really see a likely trade.

Justin Tyme
07-19-2008, 08:19 PM

Tractor isn't actively on a NBA roster.

As far as Nick Young goes, he was drafted in the 07 draft. He has "P", and could be a nice player. Plax80 would love to have Nick Young in a Pacers' uni.

I felt the Pacers should have gone after Blatche when he was a FA last year, but they probably felt they wanted to give Harrison some more time. We all know how that went!

mrknowname
07-19-2008, 08:33 PM
shawne williams for darrell arthur. make it happen

Erik
07-19-2008, 08:47 PM
I skipped through this thread, and the article and didn't see anything about his drivers license. Wasn't that an issue in his first incident (suspension/experation)?

Doddage
07-19-2008, 08:54 PM
shawne williams for darrell arthur. make it happen
Memphis' GM is dumb enough, so that might be possible...

carpediem024
07-19-2008, 09:08 PM
Why would he let his friend carry weed in his car? Stupid.

Later Shawne.
That's what I was wondering... Now if Shawne didn't know about it that's different.

MillerTime
07-19-2008, 09:28 PM
Goodbye Shawne Williams...I can see Bird trading him and Tinsley for another. Theres no way Bird is going to keep him around this incident. Its a damn shame. I really wanted to see him play this season

Robertmto
07-19-2008, 09:29 PM
no Young, def no Blatche

Putnam
07-19-2008, 09:36 PM
Shawne is set to make $1,572,960 this year. Next year is a team option.

So he should be easy to trade.

My only question is how does this reflect on Sam Perkins, who was hired to keep Shawne out of the newspapers?

speakout4
07-19-2008, 09:36 PM
Goodbye Shawne Williams...I can see Bird trading him and Tinsley for another. Theres no way Bird is going to keep him around this incident. Its a damn shame. I really wanted to see him play this season

Bird said shawne was on thin ice before this so he has to back up what he said or else he looks like a BSer. Too bad for shawne!

TheSauceMaster
07-19-2008, 09:38 PM
Does anyone know why they stopped the car?

It doesn't mention it in the Star article.

I'm reminded of a line from a Parliment song, Aqua Boogie ...........

I can't swim

It seems it was for window tint and seat belt violation.

Elgin56
07-19-2008, 10:03 PM
I find it disgusting that we still have posters feeling sorry and calling this POS a kid. Let's not forget how the Pacers arrived at their present status in the NBA, the joke of the league. This cat is never going to get it, he is a druggy who thinks he is smarter than Bird and the law.

Hicks
07-19-2008, 10:04 PM
Shawne is set to make $1,572,960 this year. Next year is a team option.

So he should be easy to trade.

My only question is how does this reflect on Sam Perkins, who was hired to keep Shawne out of the newspapers?

I believe Sam's job is to constantly be checking in with the players. I don't see how he could have known Shawne's friend had weed on him. Do you have a theory?

Hicks
07-19-2008, 10:05 PM
I find it disgusting that we still have posters feeling sorry and calling this POS a kid. Let's not forget how the Pacers arrived at their present status in the NBA, the joke of the league. This cat is never going to get it, he is a druggy who thinks he is smarter than Bird and the law.

He's a piece of **** and a "druggy" because his friends had weed?

LoneGranger33
07-19-2008, 10:06 PM
I think Sam Perkins was the passenger...

Also, Elgin, I have a lot of respect for you because I fear you but please don't call Shawne a piece of ****. Thanks.

Elgin56
07-19-2008, 10:08 PM

Come on now, do you really believe it was his friends weed? Shawne is stupid but he is not that stupid.

For the third time since Sept. 2007, one of Williams' associates from his hometown of Memphis has encountered legal trouble in Indianapolis.

Now that says it all in one sentence.

Elgin56
07-19-2008, 10:20 PM
I think Sam Perkins was the passenger...

Also, Elgin, I have a lot of respect for you because I fear you but please don't call Shawne a piece of ****. Thanks.

OK, but druggys are garbage in my world.

Elgin56
07-19-2008, 10:24 PM

Actually yes. BTW, where are all of my glad to see you back posts? Just kidding.:)

speakout4
07-19-2008, 10:28 PM
OK, but druggys are garbage in my world.
There are a lot of druggys in the nba, nfl, etc.

kester99
07-19-2008, 10:29 PM
People are not garbage. But your world sounds full of it.

Elgin56
07-19-2008, 10:31 PM
There are a lot of druggys in the nba, nfl, etc.

If you truly believe that then why be a fan? I don't believe that the NBA is full of druggys, at least not full blown ones like Shawne APPEARS to be.

Elgin56
07-19-2008, 10:33 PM
People are not garbage. But your world sounds full of it.

Not literally garbage, my friend. My world is full of law abiding people so maybe to you they are garbage.

Major Cold
07-19-2008, 10:33 PM
ok i will be patient on this. Shawne will be gone eventually. But it may take longer than expected.

speakout4
07-19-2008, 10:36 PM
If you truly believe that then why be a fan? I don't believe that the NBA is full of druggys, at least not full blown ones like Shawne APPEARS to be.
What you believe and know may not be the same thing and how do you know that he is a full blown one. He hasn't been been suspended and further not everyone believes that use of weed makes him a full blown druggy.

Elgin56
07-19-2008, 10:40 PM
What you believe and know may not be the same thing and how do you know that he is a full blown one. He hasn't been been suspended and further not everyone believes that use of weed makes him a full blown druggy.

Is she pregnant or just a little pregnant?

The evidence is there for all to see if they choose.

JayRedd
07-19-2008, 10:42 PM
I've never heard someone use the word druggy outside of DARE class.

speakout4
07-19-2008, 10:42 PM
Is she pregnant or just a little pregnant?

The evidence is there for all to see if they choose.
Tried, judged, and convicted.

Elgin56
07-19-2008, 10:45 PM
Tried, judged, and convicted.

Yep.

BlueNGold
07-19-2008, 10:46 PM
What is a full blown druggy? Maybe Larry and co. won't mind as long as Shawne's not full blown...yeh...right...

Thanks Elgin. How long tell you get this thread locked or get banned?

LoneGranger33
07-19-2008, 10:46 PM
Judge Judy and executioner.

ajbry
07-19-2008, 10:47 PM

I've never heard of someone who paid attention in DARE class...

Elgin, do you enjoy inciting these ridiculous arguments?

Anthem
07-19-2008, 10:47 PM
You still haven't, unless you're paying somebody to sit at the computer and read to you.

Anthem
07-19-2008, 10:49 PM
Really? Everybody in my school did.

"Oh, so THAT'S how you roll a joint!"

The trick is to approach the situation with humor. Don't take him seriously... he's just here to **** you off. By laughing, you starve him of his sustenance.

LoneGranger33
07-19-2008, 10:50 PM
I only laugh when I'm high, thus proving that I am a POS and enabling him further.

Elgin56
07-19-2008, 10:51 PM

Dude gets caught with weed in car that he happens to be riding in on more than one occasion, and that is now a ridiculous argument? I don't argue, I point out the obvious and let the rest of you argue about the obvious.

Elgin56
07-19-2008, 10:53 PM
Really? Everybody in my school did.

"Oh, so THAT'S how you roll a joint!"

The trick is to approach the situation with humor. Don't take him seriously... he's just here to **** you off. By laughing, you starve him of his sustenance.

Well , I have seen you at work, and you seem to be a master at pissing people off, so I bow to your ability to stay away from the wrath of Oz.

JayRedd
07-19-2008, 10:56 PM
You still haven't, unless you're paying somebody to sit at the computer and read to you.

Of course. You don't? What did you do with your money? Buy another car?*

Where else was I going to learn that huffing glue in a bag could get me high? Or even that "huffing" existed? Gummo wasn't out yet.

* Anybody?

Elgin56
07-19-2008, 10:57 PM
What is a full blown druggy? Maybe Larry and co. won't mind as long as Shawne's not full blown...yeh...right...

Thanks Elgin. How long tell you get this thread locked or get banned?

Oh hell, this thread was off and running to the gutter long before I chimed in on the topic, but I seem to be everyones' favorite punching bag for all that is wrong here. Thanks for the compliment.

BlueNGold
07-19-2008, 11:02 PM
Oh hell, this thread was off and running to the gutter long before I chimed in on the topic, but I seem to be everyones' favorite punching bag for all that is wrong here. Thanks for the compliment.

Yes, it had little chance. You do bring it up another level though. I find your interaction with some of the posters here entertaining....they have developed some self-control...too bad...

Anthem
07-19-2008, 11:02 PM
Judge Judy and executioner.
:laugh: That's awesome. Somehow I mis-read it the first time around.

It's no Duke Dynamite, but it's a start:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3087/2684346904_1e12fe5488.jpg?v=0

Hoop
07-19-2008, 11:03 PM
I would normally agree with you, and legally he really didn't do anything wrong, but how freaking stupid is Shawne.

If I'm making millions, and I'm on thin ice already, and all I have to do is stay out of trouble, I don't get in a car or drive a car that has even a roach in it. The kid must be a freaking moron. Smoke weed at home for goodness sake.

Elgin56
07-19-2008, 11:04 PM
Yes, it had little chance. You do bring it up another level though. I find your interaction with some of the posters here entertaining....they have developed some self-control...too bad...

So true.

Well time to crawl back into my hole and wait for the next full moon.

BlueNGold
07-19-2008, 11:06 PM
I would normally agree with you, and legally he really didn't do anything wrong, but how freaking stupid is Shawne.

If I'm making millions and I'm on thin ice already and all I have to do is stay out of trouble, I don't get in a car or drive a car that has even a roach in it. The kid must be a freaking moron.

I'm not about to defend Shawne, but the millions are relative to him. Actually they are enabling. What the heck does a 20 year old do when they have endless amounts of cash?...particularly one without the right people around him. I have to admit it's tough. Not saying the guy's bright, but he is what he is. I seriously don't blame him for being who he is. In any event, he's a piece of garbage...;)

ajbry
07-19-2008, 11:06 PM
Oh hell, this thread was off and running to the gutter

Who runs to a gutter?

LoneGranger33
07-19-2008, 11:07 PM
Who runs to a gutter?

That's where the werewolves are!

Elgin56
07-19-2008, 11:07 PM
I'm not about to defend Shawne, but the millions are relative to him. Actually they are enabling. What the heck does a 20 year old do when they have endless amounts of cash?...particularly one without the right people around him. I have to admit it's tough. Not saying the guy's bright, but he is what he is. I seriously don't blame him for being who he is. In any event, he's a piece of garbage...;)

One man's garbage is another man's treasure.

Later

Anthem
07-19-2008, 11:08 PM
Well , I have seen you at work, and you seem to be a master at pissing people off, so I bow to your ability to stay away from the wrath of Oz.
Touche.

There should be a little squiggle over the E, but I can't seem to make it work. Anyway, in terms of pissing people off, it shouldn't be much work in this case, as you seem permanently angry.

Seems like there's a TV episode this reminds me of, where they keep throwing "touche" around. Anybody know?

EDIT: Got it. Commercial.

I6vbKRQsq1k

ajbry
07-19-2008, 11:08 PM
That's where the werewolves are!

And a sh*tload of baseballs, footballs, and basketballs...

Kids actually die running into gutters down south, chasing after stuff.

This thread is now dedicated to them.

JayRedd
07-19-2008, 11:09 PM
One man's garbage is another man's treasure.

Another man's treasure? Where?

Goonies never say die.

LoneGranger33
07-19-2008, 11:09 PM
Little baby Jessica.

Anthem
07-19-2008, 11:10 PM
* Anybody?
We bow before your mastery of obscurity?

LoneGranger33
07-19-2008, 11:13 PM
Rosebud.

Hoop
I know a lot of people that are garbage then ;). I agree with you, I'm just mad at Shawne cause I really think he can be a good player.

I know dudes that have smoked weed just about everyday of their life since high school, have good jobs, have good family's and are nice responsible people. I know a few pieces of garbage that are drunks and never touch any illegal stuff.

Anthem
Well time to crawl back into my hole and wait for the next full moon.
Works for us.

rm1369
07-19-2008, 11:14 PM
I don't really care if Shawne is gone as I thought he was a horrible pick to begin with considering the PGs available, but I've got two questions:

1: Isn't Shawne's issue's very similar to Rush's in college? Traffic violations and failure to appears? Why is Rush great to have on the team , but Shawne most be shipped away? Because the general public hasn't heard about it yet? My guess is they were roughly the same age so I doubt that is it.

2) In most peoples world what is worse - associating with people who do drugs or failing to take responsibility for your children?

To some I guess I'm a lying POS because I'm often around people who use, but I, believe it or not, don't.
I understand the public relations issues, but many people here appear to have twisted priorities IMO. And some most live in a squeaky clean world that I've never seen - or they are simply hipicrits.

Again, I don't care if Shawne's traded I just don't understand the difference between Shawne and Rush ... and I guess Bird.

Ramitt
07-19-2008, 11:16 PM
I don;t care if I get an infraction Elgin'... This post has been edited

Anthem
07-19-2008, 11:17 PM
I just don't understand the difference between Shawne and Rush
Morally? Not much.

In terms of PR? A HUGE amount.

LoneGranger33
Now this is good clean message board fun.

BillS

If I'm making millions, and I'm on thin ice already, and all I have to do is stay out of trouble, I don't get in a car or drive a car that has even a roach in it. The kid must be a freaking moron. Smoke weed at home for goodness sake.

Yes. That would be 3 strikes.

You have to figure that another Pacer marketing team is hiding in the breakroom, alternately laughing hysterically and banging their heads against the wall, wishing they'd gone to work for an ethically pure and easy to market company like Exxon or RJ Reynolds.

ajbry
07-19-2008, 11:18 PM
I don;t care if I get an infraction Elgin..."edited post".

http://maochan.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/oh-snap.jpg

I doubt you'll get an infraction for calling him a tool though.

JayRedd
07-19-2008, 11:20 PM
Ramitt doesn't argue...He points out the obvious and lets the rest of you argue about the obvious.

juadam09
07-19-2008, 11:26 PM

From both keeping up with Wizards news and talking to people who have worked with Blatche, the Pacers will do well to stay away from him.

LoneGranger33
07-19-2008, 11:28 PM
From both keeping up with Wizards news and talking to people who have worked with Blatche, the Pacers will do well to stay away from him.

I think dcpacersfan probably bumped into him once or twice. He might know him, in the Biblical sense.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/02/AR2007080201855.html

idioteque
07-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Ah, to once again engage on midnight romps for 45 year old whores with Andray Blanche. Those few silly days before senior year of college began...

juadam09
07-19-2008, 11:34 PM
I can say from first hand knowledge that is not the only legal trouble he has been in. His agent was just able to save his *** and keep his name out of the papers.

brichard
07-19-2008, 11:50 PM
I think Hicks hit it when he mentioned perception is reality. If you are really young and not working a job in the real world, that won't make sense yet, but eventually it will. Politics are huge in any organization no matter how many people purport that they don't work in such an environment. If people think you are lazy, even if you work 60 hours more than what they see, then you are lazy until you prove otherwise.

I had a job where the perception became that I was a "gossiper." I found it hilarious as I was older than most of the colleagues and spent no time outside of work with co-workers. But even though it was B.S., I had to address it. There were people I knew who were gossipers, and just because I didn't want the reputation, I cut off ties with them. It worked like a charm and perception re-adjusted to reality. But the point being, I still had to make some personal sacrifices to make it happen.

If you look up the definition of stupid right now in the dictionary, you will see Shawne's picture. He knows what people think about him. He has seen what has happened to his former teammates who were associated with some unfortunate events. He had been sternly warned privately and publically to keep his nose clean. And he gets busted with a friend with weed. It is beyond comprehension.

He could have stayed home. He could have driven seperately. He could have taken a cab. There are about a million different things he could have done to protect himself. Are you freaking kidding me? If Shawne has to have a boring social life for a year just to keep his nose clean, that is a small price to pay in order to have the money and opportunity that he has.

And for those who think that illegal drugs are okay, I don't... but that is okay that we disagree, it has nothing to do with this scenario. The Pacers are feeling it in the box office for two reasons 1.) They aren't winning and 2.) People won't buy tickets in the Hearland to support what they feel are criminals or those that associate with criminals. We are an embarrassment to the NBA and right now the image of the team is at an all time low. Time to visit the hospitals, feed the needy, and stay far away from anybody you know who may associate you with trouble.

People don't dislike the Pacers right now in Indy, they despise them. And this little incident shows that they are "still the same old Pacers." Larry needs to pull the trigger on this immediately if nothing else to show everybody he is not screwing around.

duke dynamite
07-20-2008, 12:01 AM
:laugh: That's awesome. Somehow I mis-read it the first time around.

It's no Duke Dynamite, but it's a start:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3087/2684346904_1e12fe5488.jpg?v=0

:lol:

So anyway, I think other than this, I don't really have a comment on the situation. Wow...

MagicRat
07-20-2008, 12:40 AM
4000 block of E. 96th has to be less than a mile from his house.......http://blog.gknee.org/uploaded_images/schleprock-717516.gif

Jonathan
07-20-2008, 01:20 AM
I don't think that's even the point any more, even though I tend to agree with you. It's a perception issue, and with most folks, perception = reality, and it's just not going to lead to good things in Indiana (and I'm sure there are other places like that as well). The Pacers are on the verge or truly starting a new era with a clean P.R. slate, and they likely won't tolerate this. Shawne is probably done as a Pacer.

I did not want to bring this up but I believe the Carmel Police are Racist 100%

Bball
07-20-2008, 01:34 AM
I don;t care if I get an infraction Elgin you are a tool and represent more of what is wrong in our society than the "druggies".

Elgin states his opinion without a hint of ambiguity. He doesn't mince words. He doesn't play the political correctness game. You know EXACTLY where he stands on an issue and it's pretty easy to see when he's made up his mind.... yet some people want to poke and prod him and then run for the moral high ground when he snaps back.

I don't see Elgin asking anyone to agree with him so why continually throw barbs when you know it's going to get both you and him nowhere?

My .02 on that.

My .02 on Shawne is to ask if he really doesn't get it or really doesn't care this much?? When you've been in trouble already... when the team can't afford more trouble.... when your associates have been trouble in the past and gotten you into trouble.... When your future $$$ potential is in jeopardy... You STILL hang with people who carry dope in public?

-Bball

Shade
07-20-2008, 01:54 AM
I don't see where people are drawing the conclusion that Shawne is a "druggie." Has he ever been caught holding?

Kstat
07-20-2008, 02:01 AM
...thats what he has his friends for...

Get stopped, they claim ownership.

If he didn't smoke it, his friends would not be carrying that stuff within 100 miles of him. They have as much invested in his future as he does.

I wouldn't call him an addict or anything based on evidence, but he's at the very least a recreational user.

Trader Joe
07-20-2008, 02:16 AM
Some are still missing the point, this has nothing to do with how minor the incident it is. I don't care if Shawne had ZERO idea that the guy in his car had the weed. Shawne should NEVER put himself in that situation, not before this, and especially not now. Shawne did something dumb...again. He's driven on a suspended license, he's allowed a man suspected of murder to stay at his house and drive his vehicles, he still hangs out with those who smoke weed. I don't care if Shawne is going to church every Sunday and is helping little old ladies cross the street on his way to the Fieldhouse. He is flat out stupid, and I wouldn't trust the guy to make a ham sandwich let alone represent my city and team. He is just that dumb. He makes Tinsley look a freakin' brain surgeon. At least Jamaal was smart enough to have a few trouble free years in the league and get a big contract before he started getting in the news.

As far as whether or not Shawne is a user of marijuana, I don't know. I do know people who smoke, and I don't partake. However, I can tell you this those of my friends who smoke know that if they ever and I mean EVER got in my car with weed and didn't tell me about it I would kill them where they stood, and I don't even have millions of dollars potentially riding on me getting pulled over with a friend carrying pot. So if I were a betting man, I'd bet Shawne at least lights up every once and a while, which I don't really have a problem with if he had the good sense to do it AT HOME, but then I would be expecting an illogical person to start acting logical.

rm1369
07-20-2008, 02:45 AM
Morally? Not much.

In terms of PR? A HUGE amount.

It sounds like it's more than a PR issue to many on here. Maybe I don't see this the same way because I believe the image issue is overblown. Or more accuratly, the result of a bad team. Funny how Marvin Harrison being investigated for possible attempted murder won't hurt Colt's attendance isn't it? I'm sure BBall could have some fun theorizing about that situation! Kenton Keith had trouble out late at a night club and they just brought back Rhodes who was busted for DUI. Same city and largely the same fan base. I wonder why it's ok for the Colts? It's because most fans will rationalize the actions of someone who wins. Once the Pacers begin to consistantly win again players will be able to throw hissy fits on the floor, throw gum at refs, punch foreign cops, choke kids, etc, and everyone will look the other way just like in the past. Larry's a local hero and most look the other way at him turning his back on his daughter - a much bigger sin IMO that anything Shawne has done.

I guess we better hope Rush hits a couple game winners before he gets a parking ticket or he'll be ran out of town in the name of morality!

rm1369
07-20-2008, 02:55 AM
I wouldn't call him an addict or anything based on evidence, but he's at the very least a recreational user.

I think so too. I beliveve a majority of the players are.

Justin Tyme
07-20-2008, 05:36 AM
I can say from first hand knowledge that is not the only legal trouble he has been in. His agent was just able to save his *** and keep his name out of the papers.

What is YOUR 1st hand knowledge? Since you brought it up, you won't mind sharing it with the board.

Rajah Brown
07-20-2008, 07:52 AM
Sorry to ask a dumb question that may have been answereed in the
first couple pages of the thread that I was too lazy too read. But
what was he pulled over for ? Not wearing his seat belt ? If that
was it, what was the justification for searching his passenger ?

Putnam
07-20-2008, 08:22 AM
Sorry to ask a dumb question that may have been answereed in the first couple pages of the thread that I was too lazy too read. But what was he pulled over for ? Not wearing his seat belt ? If that
was it, what was the justification for searching his passenger ?

He was pulled over for illegal tinted windows. He was warned for that, and for not wearing his seatbelt.

Perhaps the officer saw or smelled dope when he came up to the car? That would give him probable cause, right?

Rajah Brown
07-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Putnam-

Ya, that was probably it. Not sure what else would have justified
a search.

Also, it's an irrelevance in this instance, but I didn't realize that
Carmel cops had jurisdiction on 96th St (always considered it the
Indy/Carmel dividing line and thus under Indy cops perview).

Hicks
07-20-2008, 08:55 AM

Brandon Rush, or Shawne Williams?

Hicks
07-20-2008, 08:59 AM
In Well's article, it's updated with a quote from Bird:

"While Shawne Williams was not involved in any arrest or any criminal wrongdoing, we are extremely upset and hugely disappointed he once again has put himself in a position that jeopardizes Shawne's future as a member of the Indiana Pacers," Bird said in a statement released by the team. "I plan to meet with Shawne as soon as possible to discuss this further."

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080720/SPORTS04/807200393/1088/SPORTS04

Hicks
07-20-2008, 09:00 AM
http://maochan.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/oh-snap.jpg

Thank you for giving me the latest smiley:

:ohsnap:

Who is that guy, anyway? Random guy, or what?

Tom White
07-20-2008, 09:24 AM

I am not familiar with the police person involved in this, so I am just going by what was said in the article.

The vehicle was pulled over for a window tint violation. In most cases this means tinting dark enough that you cannot see inside the vehicle. If this is true, then the officer would not have known the race of the passengers until after the stop, when the driver then lowered the window. I would also guess this is when the officer discovered the driver did not have a seatbelt on.

I can't state that the scenario I presented is pure fact, but it makes sense to me.

Erik
07-20-2008, 09:33 AM

Who is that guy, anyway? Random guy, or what?Biz Markie

Robertmto
07-20-2008, 09:39 AM

Andray Blatche

McKeyFan
07-20-2008, 09:50 AM
My .02 on Shawne is to ask if he really doesn't get it or really doesn't care this much?? l

Maybe a third option.

He gets it. He cares. But the only lifestyle he's ever known is hanging with the homies and using recreationally.

They just picked an egg who has no reference point for the kind of lifestyle Indiana fans expect a Pacer to live.

Anthem
07-20-2008, 09:57 AM
Dude, Carmel Cops are Tops!

Hicks
07-20-2008, 09:58 AM
Let's keep this on Shawne, and not the alleged racism of the police. Otherwise I'm going to have to close the thread. We haven't truly "gone there" yet, but I'm heading it off.

Justin Tyme
07-20-2008, 10:01 AM
In today's Hoopshype, it states that a drug sniffing canine found the drugs in the vehicle. That makes me wonder if the officer stopping the vehicle might have smelled the oder of marajuna in the vehicle, and called for a drug sniffing canine to search the vehicle. If that indeed is what happened, then Williams, whether he was using or not, knew it was in the vehicle. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't force it to drink. He knows, but refuses to change his lifestyle and friends. It's his career to pizz down the drain, but WHY bring more PR nightmares to the Pacers?

If Bird is a man of his word about changing the culture of the Pacers, then Williams is history. Bird can't say one thing and do another. He has to get rid of Williams, so the other players see that Bird means what he says. Bird has to show the community that the Pacers won't stand for this type of behavior. Otherwise, you can take your new PR and flush it down the stool. JMOAA

Jonathan
07-20-2008, 10:12 AM
The car was stopped at 6:00 PM for illegal window tint on 96th ST. The police thought these dudes were selling something illegal in Hamilton County. Who knows how much weed was on Shawne's dude. It was stated as a small amount, we do not know if was a roach or dime bag!

RamBo_Lamar
07-20-2008, 11:25 AM
I would have to agree with those calling for Williams to be traded ASAP.

Whether he is really at fault or not, the general public probably views him
as someone who constantly hangs out with criminals, and has no qualms
about bringing that element into the community.

If TPTB are going to get this house-cleaning completed, then they must
take care of unfinished business.

JayRedd
07-20-2008, 11:32 AM

And you say ajbry's just a friend.

avoidingtheclowns
07-20-2008, 11:42 AM

ajbry's got what hicks needs

Tom White
07-20-2008, 11:58 AM
The car was stopped at 6:00 PM for illegal window tint on 96th ST. The police thought these dudes were selling something illegal in Hamilton County. Who knows how much weed was on Shawne's dude. It was stated as a small amount, we do not know if was a roach or dime bag!

Is there a link for this somewhere or are you making a best guess at what happened? I don't remember any of that from the original link.

Tom White
07-20-2008, 12:06 PM
Staying on topic, but taking it a bit of a different direction -

We all remember what O'Neal said after he was traded to Toronto. How all of the off-court events had been mentally straining.

We also know how members of this board can become very divided over these situations.

With that in mind, do you think Williams' incidents, along with the past incidents of other players have a similar divisive effect on the players, in the workplace, or outside of it?

If there has been a division caused by these continuing situations, what effect have they had on team performance?

Personally, I'm not sure of the answers to either question, but I'm interested in your responses.

grace
07-20-2008, 12:11 PM

Life some of us if you were born before DARE classes were invented then you would have.

JayRedd
07-20-2008, 12:12 PM
We all remember what O'Neal said after he was traded to Toronto. How all of the off-court events had been mentally straining.

We also know how members of this board can become very divided over these situations.

With that in mind, do you think Williams' incidents, along with the past incidents of other players have a similar divisive effect on the players, in the workplace, or outside of it?

My guess is that Williams actions may be half-caused by that mentally straining environment.

People keep insisting that this kid "doesn't get it."

Maybe, in his mind, he "gets it" just fine. The key difference being what the "it" is. To him, the "it" very may well be "Wow, I finally get to the NBA and I'm on the most f'd up franchise in the entire League. This is f'ing b*ll****. Not only that, I'm more talented than about 12 of the guys on this roster and I barely see the court. So ***** this franchise and ***** this town."

Non of that is probably a correct view to take, and I'm not saying that's actually what's happening here (just random possible speculation that I'm not even saying I believe)...but when you're in a strained situation, it's going to make you think poorly at times. Maybe he plays the good soldier 30 days out of the month, but one night each month he gets pissed and goes out to smoke some weed.

YoSoyIndy
07-20-2008, 12:41 PM
I don't see where people are drawing the conclusion that Shawne is a "druggie." Has he ever been caught holding?

Druggy might be a stretch, but as kstat touched on, his friends are going to claim ownership and hold the weed so he isn't the one going down.

idioteque
07-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Druggy might be a stretch, but as kstat touched on, his friends are going to claim ownership and hold the weed so he isn't the one going down.

They could blame the Virgin Mary. It doesn't matter of Shawne is charged or not. The fact that it got into the paper is enough. Is Shawne's agent asleep or what?

Hicks
07-20-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm not liking that we just assume it was his weed on the basis of "it could, so why not".

idioteque
07-20-2008, 12:52 PM
I'm not liking that we just assume it was his weed on the basis of "it could, so why not".

Doesn't matter. It's not fair but that's what all the fans are going to assume so whether or not it was he has to be shipped out. Even if it wasn't he shouldn't be hanging out with someone's who's holding.

Kstat
07-20-2008, 12:57 PM

It's not a 50/50 chance, Hicks.

Again, if he was not a weed smoker, his friends would not risk his future by carrying it around him, seeing as how they are also invested in his future.

No pro athlete is going to carry his own stash on his person. That's the point of having an entourage, to take the legal hit for you when there's trouble.

The odds are rather heavily stacked that it was his weed.

ABADays
07-20-2008, 01:22 PM

What don't you get about a pattern of behavior?

Bball
07-20-2008, 01:41 PM
It's getting to the point that "probable cause" would be 'riding in a vehicle with Shawne Williams'.

-Bball

juadam09
07-20-2008, 02:01 PM

Andre Blatche

Shade
07-20-2008, 02:03 PM
...thats what he has his friends for...

Get stopped, they claim ownership.

If he didn't smoke it, his friends would not be carrying that stuff within 100 miles of him. They have as much invested in his future as he does.

I think you underestimate the stupidity of people.

rexnom
07-20-2008, 02:04 PM
Well, he's got what Hicks needs.

mildlysane
07-20-2008, 02:12 PM
SWilliams got a pretty good break for being pulled over by "racists" cops. MOST people would have went to jail. I know several people in Shawne's situation who went to jail, even though other people claimed ownership of the drugs. The cops took everyone to jail and let the courts figure it out. Reminds me of Tinsley not going to jail for weed in HIS car and Lindsey Lohan not getting charged with Cocaine they found IN HER POCKET because it was her friend's.

ajbry
07-20-2008, 02:14 PM

Either way it's a fairly solid indictment on Shawne and his overall lack of foresight... He was either partaking in smoking weed with his boy; or he continually surrounds himself with those who make stupid decisions. There's nothing else that can be inferred from this incident, particularly given his past transgressions with less than reputable characters.

JayRedd
07-20-2008, 02:16 PM

atc called. He wants his joke back.*

* On the other line is 1994. It concurs.

Justin Tyme
07-20-2008, 02:17 PM
Andre Blatche

AGAIN, what's your 1st hand knowledge of Blatche's legal problems? Either you know something or you don't!

Shade
07-20-2008, 02:18 PM
Either way it's a fairly solid indictment on Shawne and his overall lack of foresight... He was either partaking in smoking weed with his boy; or he continually surrounds himself with those who make stupid decisions. There's nothing else that can be inferred from this incident, particularly given his past transgressions with less than reputable characters.

I certainly can't debate that.

He either doesn't get it or doesn't care. Neither case is good.

ajbry
07-20-2008, 02:22 PM
AGAIN, what's your 1st hand knowledge of Blatche's legal problems? Either you know something or you don't!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/04/AR2008060404281.html

Enjoy.

rexnom
07-20-2008, 02:29 PM
ajbry's got what hicks needs

atc called. He wants his joke back.*

* On the other line is 1994. It concurs.
I just completely Menciad atc there. My bad. Proof that I don't really read threads.

Trader Joe
07-20-2008, 03:13 PM

Here are your options...

1.) Shawne still hangs out with those who partake, and doesn't care.

2.) Shawne still smokes and doesn't care.

3.) Shawne is a moron.

4.) All of the above.

Hint: Four is the most likely answer.

idioteque
07-20-2008, 03:15 PM
LB has reacted to the incident.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3497366

Pacers president Bird upset over incident involving Williams

Associated Press

<!-- promo plug -->
<!-- end promo plug -->
<!-- end story header --><!-- begin left column --> <!-- begin page tools --> Updated: July 20, 2008, 2:06 PM ET

Comment (http://myespn.go.com/conversation/story?id=3497366)
Email (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3497366#)
Print (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3497366&type=story)
<!-- end page tools --><!-- begin story body --> <!-- template inline -->INDIANAPOLIS -- Police arrested a passenger in a car driven by Shawne Williams (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=4145) of the Indiana Pacers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=ind) for marijuana possession, an incident that team president Larry Bird said jeopardizes the forward's future with the Pacers.

<!-- INLINE HEADSHOT (BEGIN) -->
http://assets.espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/65x90/4145.jpg Williams

<!-- INLINE HEADSHOT (END) --> Williams was not arrested but was written up for a window tint and seat belt violation after the police stop about 6 p.m. Friday in Carmel, said Lt. Jeff Horner, a spokesman for police in the northern Indianapolis suburb. The car did not belong to Williams.

A passenger, 21-year-old Darrell Smith Jr. of Williams' hometown of Memphis, Tenn., was arrested on a misdemeanor charge after police found he had a small amount of marijuana, Horner told The Indianapolis Star. Smith was not in custody Sunday and his whereabouts were not clear.
Bird said Saturday he planned to meet with Williams to discuss the latest incident.

"While Shawne Williams was not involved in any arrest or any criminal wrongdoing, we are extremely upset and hugely disappointed he once again has put himself in a position that jeopardizes Shawne's future as a member of the Indiana Pacers," Bird said in a statement released by the team.
Williams' agent, Happy Walters, said Williams had not heard from the team and hoped to talk with Bird on Monday. Walters said the incident was blown out of proportion and noted that Williams hadn't been charged.

"He's not going to be charged. He did nothing wrong," Walters said Sunday.
Last month, Bird had said Williams was on "thin ice" with the team.

Williams, the Pacers' 2006 first-round draft pick, left early from a game last February after learning a murder suspect in Tennessee had been arrested shortly after leaving Williams' Indianapolis home.

Bird has made it clear that the Pacers want to shed their bad-boy reputation, and after a significant drop in home attendance last season, he wants players who can do three things -- stay out of trouble, work hard and win.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

idioteque
07-20-2008, 03:16 PM
It doesn't matter if he is ever charged for this or not. The fact is this story is all over ESPN, RealGM, and the Indystar and is thus reinforcing an image of the Pacers that management does not want conveyed. Shawne is a huge risk to the investment this organization has made in PR and therefore the city of Indianapolis and needs to be traded immediately.

Justin Tyme
07-20-2008, 03:50 PM
It doesn't matter if he is ever charged for this or not. The fact is this story is all over ESPN, RealGM, and the Indystar and is thus reinforcing an image of the Pacers that management does not want conveyed. Shawne is a huge risk to the investment this organization has made in PR and therefore the city of Indianapolis and needs to be traded immediately.

You are absolutely correct!

indyman37
07-20-2008, 03:55 PM
If this was before the draft, I would be extremely dissapointed. But now that we've got Rush I'm fine with it.
Yeah Shawne had potential. He just won't reach it with the Pacers.
Oh well, more time for Rush...

gummy
07-20-2008, 04:15 PM
Shawne Williams must be traded, bought out, whatever it takes to get him out of town before training camp.

I don't need to speculate about whether or not Shawne is a druggie, or wonder if he knew about the pot or not. I suspect he's more stupid than "bad" but that doesn't matter.

It could be that race was some sort of factor - lord knows I've experienced some "interesting" treatment at the hands of Fort Wayne police. But that doesn't really matter either.

The fact is, reasonable or not, marijuana is illegal. Having windows that are too dark is illegal. Not wearing your seat belt is illegal. Driving around with marijuana in your car is dumb. Hanging out with felonious friends and relatives, particularly when you have so much to lose, is dumb.

Shawne is a talented guy but that is not enough. He has been given opportunities to turn things around and couldn't manage it. It doesn't matter whether or not his incidents would be less of a big deal if the Pacers didn't have such a sordid recent history. The fact is we do have that history, and it matters to much of our fan base.

I feel sorry for Shawne and wish him well. If he somehow matures and makes better decisions in the future that's good for him and better for society and I'm all for that. I don't need to hate him or dehumanize him. Doing so doesn't change what happened or make me feel any less sick over the steady degradation of my teams image, but if that's your thing alrighty then.

I am a long-time Pacers fan who wants a team I can be proud of again. I want talent and decent character and a good public image. I simply can't tolerate Shawne continuing on as a Pacer at this point and still get what I want for the team in general.

So what really matters is that Shawne has shown he has bad judgment multiple times in an environment where there is little room for error. He knew it and he blew it. He needs to be sent elsewhere to work on his priorities.

speakout4
07-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Shawne Williams must be traded, bought out, whatever it takes to get him out of town before training camp.

I don't need to speculate about whether or not Shawne is a druggie, or wonder if he knew about the pot or not. I suspect he's more stupid than "bad" but that doesn't matter.

It could be that race was some sort of factor - lord knows I've experienced some "interesting" treatment at the hands of Fort Wayne police. But that doesn't really matter either.

The fact is, reasonable or not, marijuana is illegal. Having windows that are too dark is illegal. Not wearing your seat belt is illegal. Driving around with marijuana in your car is dumb. Hanging out with felonious friends and relatives, particularly when you have so much to lose, is dumb.

Shawne is a talented guy but that is not enough. He has been given opportunities to turn things around and couldn't manage it. It doesn't matter whether or not his incidents would be less of a big deal if the Pacers didn't have such a sordid recent history. The fact is we do have that history, and it matters to much of our fan base.

I feel sorry for Shawne and wish him well. If he somehow matures and makes better decisions in the future that's good for him and better for society and I'm all for that. I don't need to hate him or dehumanize him. Doing so doesn't change what happened or make me feel any less sick over the steady degradation of my teams image, but if that's your thing alrighty then.

I am a long-time Pacers fan who wants a team I can be proud of again. I want talent and decent character and a good public image. I simply can't tolerate Shawne continuing on as a Pacer at this point and still get what I want for the team in general.

So what really matters is that Shawne has shown he has bad judgment multiple times in an environment where there is little room for error. He knew it and he blew it. He needs to be sent elsewhere to work on his priorities.

Your response reads like a perfect example of absolutism to me.:laugh:

gummy
07-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Your response reads like a perfect example of absolutism to me.:laugh:

The philosophy behind that quote is that sometimes absolutist positions come about as a result of a knee-jerk emotional response and I like to think things through and encourage others to do the same.

You can be open-minded or understanding but still have limits and standards. That pretty much sums up my earlier post. If you think that's absolutist I think that's strange but ok. :)

So, back on topic: I'm a big fan of making expectations clear and expecting a sense of personal responsibility and right action thereafter. I gave Shawne the benefit of the doubt earlier and so did the Pacers. Bird made the expectations very clear and Shawne failed, once again.

Justin Tyme
07-20-2008, 04:38 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/04/AR2008060404281.html

Enjoy.

This obviously is public knowledge. I want to know what juadam09 knows " first hand". They stated Blatche's agent was able to save his *** and keep his name out of the paper. He made the statement in post #124 of this thread. He made an accusatory statement about Blatche stating they had first hand knowledge.

The only way they would have 1st hand knowledge is if they were involved in someway, shape, or fashion of what they are so vaguely referring. If they are going to make a statement like that, then back it up! Otherwise, all they are doing is nothing more than making insinuations, innuendos, and casting asperations.

AGAIN for the 3rd time, I'm asking him/her to explain their statement.

Jonathan
07-20-2008, 04:40 PM
Is there a link for this somewhere or are you making a best guess at what happened? I don't remember any of that from the original link.

Tom, I read the same link as you. The Carmel Police pull over a vehicle for illegal window tint. They did not smell the aroma of ganja, but search the car any way. Why?

Jonathan
07-20-2008, 04:43 PM
When people get in your car do you ask them if they have any weed? This dude would not admit to have the green anyway. It does not make Shawne a terrible dude. Yes it is bad PR but if he scores twenty a night does it matter to you?

juadam09
07-20-2008, 04:56 PM
This obviously is public knowledge. I want to know what juadam09 knows " first hand". They stated Blatche's agent was able to save his *** and keep his name out of the paper. He made the statement in post #124 of this thread. He made an accusatory statement about Blatche stating they had first hand knowledge.

The only way they would have 1st hand knowledge is if they were involved in someway, shape, or fashion of what they are so vaguely referring. If they are going to make a statement like that, then back it up! Otherwise, all they are doing is nothing more than making insinuations, innuendos, and casting asperations.

AGAIN for the 3rd time, I'm asking him/her to explain their statement.

Relax.

Blatche has made very stupid decision that have showed he still has a lot of growing up to do. He has a lot of talent but he also has made some pretty stupid decisions in his days here.

He recently got into some trouble with both his house and his car and was forced to stop renting and buy a house because of "legal issues" he was having. His agent was able to step in and save him and since then he has bought a house so he would not have to deal with realtor's or a management company.

I am making nothing up, but no I am not going to say something bad about someone I don't know if I don't know it to be 100% true. Hell I don't care about the Wizards I just know about his issues because I deal with realtor's in my second job. As for his other issues, I think they have already been brought up by others (the prostitution thing (X2) and his reckless driving, though VA has gone nuts about reckless driving the last couple years. I think 20 over now and you get locked up. That seems excessive, but thats just me) but most, if not all of these are public knowledge.

gummy
07-20-2008, 04:58 PM
When people get in your car do you ask them if they have any weed? This dude would not admit to have the green anyway. It does not make Shawne a terrible dude. Yes it is bad PR but if he scores twenty a night does it matter to you?

No, I don't ask. I don't have to because my friends know better. But if I did ask my friends would tell me because they care about what happens to me (and themselves) if we get pulled over.

If I were Shawne - a person who has already been in trouble once for being in the car with pot, a person who could lose many millions of dollars (not to mention the reporters he'll have to deal with) by getting in more trouble - I'd be patting people down before I get in the car with them. Or not hanging out with people who might lie to me about it.

I don't think it makes Shawne a terrible dude either. If someone could make me an ironclad guarantee that he'd never get in trouble again I'd consider the possiblity of him staying. But no one can do that and the Pacers just can't afford to deal with much more of this. When I move to Indy I want there to be a Pacers team to root for. So yes, it does matter to me, even if he could score twenty a night. Sad, but true.

juadam09
07-20-2008, 05:01 PM
Everything that could have been said has been said about Shawne.

Is he a bad guy? NO.

Was it his? I tend to agree with Kstat, but I could see where he just did not know his friend had it.

Either way Shawne is guilty of not cutting ties at the least, which is a hard thing to do but when it could cost you millions of dollars and a job you have to.

Does making that sacrifice suck? Sure yes. But just like you have to know the situation at the end of the 4th in a basketball game you also have to know the situation with your career. Shawne knew he was on "thin ice", and sadly the ice has cracked.

Putnam
07-20-2008, 05:09 PM
Don't worry about it, macgumerait.

A "perfect example of absolutism" is just another way of saying, "It's true."

You've made the right point here. We don't need to deconstruct what happened Friday in Carmel, or Shawne's childhood, or the propriety of using marijuana, or the meaning of friendship, or anything.

Shawne is finished. Bird and Simon have drawn the line in the sand, and Shawne crossed it. That is what matters.

Hicks
07-20-2008, 05:38 PM
Tom, I read the same link as you. The Carmel Police pull over a vehicle for illegal window tint. They did not smell the aroma of ganja, but search the car any way. Why?

Who says they didn't smell it?

If weed has gotten my *** in trouble with my job that pays me over a million a year? Hell yes I'm going to ask them if they're carrying weed.

speakout4
07-20-2008, 05:56 PM

A "perfect example of absolutism" is just another way of saying, "It's true."

Does that quote include "islamic terrorism"?

Skaut_Ech
07-20-2008, 06:06 PM
It does show a pattern though, which is concerning. I want him to stay and hope Sam Perkins can reach him.

:eek: :laugh: :spitout:

BlueNGold
07-20-2008, 06:12 PM

There's an Indiana statute related to window tints. It is fairly involved. Basically, if you can't identify the person by looking within, there may be cause for pulling them over and potentially making an arrest. If the person has a medical reason for having a dark tint, it's ok. If they violated the tint statute, a lawful arrest can be made and an arrest-based search (wingspan of driver) can be made. Once something is found, they can search the trunk too. Don't ask why I know this...I think that's how it works from previous discussions...if they smell ganja, it's all over.

Here it is:
http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title9/ar19/ch19.html
Source: IN.Gov

El Pacero
07-20-2008, 07:34 PM
I was at the Pacers Draft party, smoking a cig in the 2nd floor smoking area, and heard an interesting story about Williams. I wasn't going to post this when I heard it as I can't prove it 100%, but I didn't see any reason why the guy would lie so take it for what it's worth. This younger guy who works at a cell phone store, had Shawne Williams come in with a cell phone problem. He reaked of weed and looked totally out of it. This fellow Pacers fan knew it was a game day and asked "aren't you playing tonight?" Shawne replied yes, and it was only 4 - 5 hours before the game was going to start. Not cool and he needs to go.

Justin Tyme
07-20-2008, 08:30 PM
I'd pay to hear the conversation between Bird and Williams tomorrow! I just have this feeling it's going to be laced with profanities, and it will end with "you have played your last game in a Pacers' uni."

What was that Forest Gump comment? Stupid is as stupid does. Color Shawne Williams gone, he's history. Stupidity personafied. Williams has thrown away what most on this board would love to do--- play BB for the Pacers! JMOAA

Country Boy
07-20-2008, 08:33 PM
I was at the Pacers Draft party, smoking a cig in the 2nd floor smoking area, and heard an interesting story about Williams. I wasn't going to post this when I heard it as I can't prove it 100%, but I didn't see any reason why the guy would lie so take it for what it's worth. This younger guy who works at a cell phone store, had Shawne Williams come in with a cell phone problem. He reaked of weed and looked totally out of it. This fellow Pacers fan knew it was a game day and asked "aren't you playing tonight?" Shawne replied yes, and it was only 4 - 5 hours before the game was going to start. Not cool and he needs to go.

Well, maybe old Elgin had some inside info to form his opinion that Williams was a druggy.

Trader Joe
07-20-2008, 08:46 PM

I don't ask because anyone getting into my car knows my stance on the subject of weed being present in my vehicle. Anyone who would do otherwise isn't a friend of mine, and wouldn't be present for my life. Shawne's an idiot. I don't know how some of you can't see this.

Apologizing for Shawne at this point is assinine.
Even more questionable is holding the belief that he could ever hope to score twenty points a night.

Kuq_e_Zi91
07-20-2008, 08:49 PM

I remember hearing a version of this story as well on a board somewhere. The version I heard was different. Shawne goes into a store, drops his cell phone, and as he reaches down to pick it up, a bag of weed falls out of his pocket.

I personally, think it's just a rumor someone started. As it got passed on, it changed some and people ran with it. I just wouldn't believe everything I hear about Shawne, especially since people know he's already in trouble. Like a lot of people on this board want him gone, the person who started it probably wants him gone as well, so they make something up.

Trader Joe
07-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Here's a question for those who deem this not that big of a deal, what makes you think Shawne will change, and do you believe he has not shown a pattern of extremely poor decisions?

Kuq_e_Zi91
07-20-2008, 08:57 PM
Here's a question for those who deem this not that big of a deal, what makes you think Shawne will change, and do you believe he has not shown a pattern of extremely poor decisions?

I believe he has shown a pattern, but there was one man hired to specifically change this pattern. Sam Perkins. This isn't that big of a deal if it was anybody else, unfortunately it's Shawne.

Trader Joe
07-20-2008, 08:58 PM
The idea the Sam Perkins is going to stop anyone from smoking weed is laughable. The only hope is that he would teach them to keep it in their home.

pianoman
07-20-2008, 09:00 PM
well, goodbye shawne. Too bad. you had so much potential. Too bad you won't get to show it. (at least in a pacer uni)

Kuq_e_Zi91
If you can't stop him from doing it, at least don't get caught, keep it in your home and be smart about it.

Bball
People won't buy tickets in the Hearland to support what they feel are criminals or those that associate with criminals.

I'm going to throw a different view into the current "Heartland thinks Pacers are criminals" line of thinking.

How much of this recent PR snowball is simply telling fans that some of the players just don't care about Pacer basketball? With the price of tickets, parking, concessions, etc the Pacers are asking fans to make a substantial investment in the team. They are also needing the fans to make an emotional attachment to the team. But if fans feel the players aren't putting up their end of the bargain, is it any wonder there are issues at the gate?

I do agree winning would buy the players a little bit of leeway for these extracurricular activities BUT I think these extracurricular activities are all part of why the team hasn't been winning. IOW, you have to have your priorities straight as a player and team member.

Part of the 'feel good' buzz (oops, bad word choice!) that many have is that the scales are tipping away from a reliance on players who have their priorities skewed. The Pacers don't need Shawne Williams messing that up... not now.

Tom White
07-20-2008, 09:29 PM

Yes, it still matters to me.

BlueNGold
07-20-2008, 09:39 PM
What is Shawne's IPY at this point?

rm1369
07-20-2008, 09:43 PM
Yes, it still matters to me.

If it's not just the PR issue for you, then what has Shawne done that is morally worse than Rush or Bird?

Big Smooth
07-20-2008, 10:05 PM
Shawne seems to find himself in these situations an awful lot. Either he has the worst luck in the world or he keeps surrounding himself with the wrong people. I'm guessing it is more of the latter versus the former. It doesn't necessarily make him a bad person, but it all boils down to bad judgment. When you are on thin ice, you absolutely must go that extra mile to watch yourself.

ChicagoJ
07-20-2008, 10:20 PM
(I'm sure this is aleady in the thread somewhere, but I'll say it anyway.)

On the bright side, Shawn is now a legally registered driver. Good for him. See, he can learn from his mistakes.

What an idiot. Cut him now.

LoneGranger33
07-20-2008, 10:21 PM
Y'all still want Tinsley out first though, right?

Naptown_Seth
07-20-2008, 10:34 PM
I agree.

My stance typically with all this is has been to defend the players, at least against the "UNACCEPTABLE, WORST ACTION IN THE WORLD" type of responses. This particular incident has to be the LEAST damning or problematic one yet in fact.

However, given the situation this is like the doctor telling you the next cup of coffee could kill you and then being spotted in a Starbucks.

Why? Why in the F would you even risk one freaking thing at this point? You can't tell your friends "look man, you know the spot I'm in. We can smoke at the house, you can meet me at the spot separately if you want to bring a joint, we can still pal around, but it just 100% can't be in my car".

Yanking him over for the tinting is semi-lame, and if it's Bird or Helio or even Reggie Miller, then this NEVER, EVER makes the news. He gets a "warning" and certainly the seat belt is never mentioned.

And if his buddy didn't have a joint I'd actually be pretty PO'd about the underlying current of profiling surrounding it.

But Shawne didn't have that guy ride on his own, Shawne didn't take his own car and now he's facing this image hit...again. It's not fair but he saw the cards he'd been dealt before he pushed all in. He easily could have kept the down low for a year and been able to have something like this brush off him.

Shawne's going to go to another team at a bargain and he's going to kick butt for them. As a Pacers fan and a fan of his game I think that sucks. sigh

Roy Munson
07-21-2008, 12:03 AM
Shawne's going to go to another team at a bargain and he's going to kick butt for them. As a Pacers fan and a fan of his game I think that sucks. sigh

I don't think so. There's the physical aspect of being an NBA player. He has some positive attributes there. Then there's the MENTAL aspects of being a NBA player. He has so far displayed zero of these. He'll never amount to much. The Pacers won't miss him one bit.

Naptown_Seth
07-21-2008, 01:55 AM
I will say that while Hicks doesn't want this to go into a serious debate on the intentions of the police, the more I read about it and think about it the more I think it's something that's pretty relevant to whether or not Shawne "gets it" and "cares".

1) Not his car - Shawne would not be aware that he'd requested tinting of an illegal level. Your buddy says "drive me over there" and you instantaneously realize that the level of window tinting is going to get you pulled over? Not likely unless it was insanely dark.

2) Seatbelt - not far from his house, and while seatbelts will get you ticketed you might as well take away my rights to buy tickets since I've gotten several for not using a seatbelt tacked onto a speeding ticket.

Of course I hate freedom and want to destroy the country by scoffing at minor laws.

3) Weed - if the buddy had a roach on him and didn't tell Shawne and was otherwise a decent guy then how would Shawne be in a position to "get it" and avoid the guy?

BTW, what if Shawne was driving A) Harrison B) Brad Miller C) John Mellancamp D) Robert Parrish E) Jim Irsay (pills, not weed, AFAIK) to dinner on 96th?

I'm betting right now that at least one person upset with Shawne in this case has been guilty, unknowingly perhaps, of driving someone that might have got them in trouble if they'd been pulled over and either seached or background checked. Someone they trusted and wouldn't consider "bad company".

Shawne's out at 6 pm in this case. At 96th street. Pulled over not for wreckless driving, speeding, running a light, swerving, nothing, but for the tinting being too dark on someone else's car. So it's quite possible, even probable given those circumstances, that Shawne really did think he was proving he "got it".

DARE just called. They said "friends don't let friends drive high"...."oh but if they drive friends that are high they are scumbags anyway just for knowing about them so really it doesn't matter so you might as well let them drive themselves and run into someone else cause really F everyone else too"

Everybody wins :dance:

CableKC
07-21-2008, 02:56 AM
Why? Why in the F would you even risk one freaking thing at this point? You can't tell your friends "look man, you know the spot I'm in. We can smoke at the house, you can meet me at the spot separately if you want to bring a joint, we can still pal around, but it just 100% can't be in my car".
This pretty much sums it up for me....you figure that he would be smart enough to at least avoid being caught in a bad situation with whoever he hangs out with.

Honestly....I can totally see a team with a far more tolerant FO then ours snag him for cheap and then see him reach his potential on another team. I can betcha that DW would at some point call up Bird to see if he can wrangle him from the Pacers. A player like Shawne can excel under D'Antoni's offense.

If Shawne was on a different team...and you found out about all the stuff that he did.....would you feel that same way? I'm not condoning what he's doing....but everything that every player on the Pacers roster is so heavily scrutinized under a Electron Microscope that even if they ate their Steak with a salad fork...they would be chastised for not having the proper etiquette. I get the sense that many of the things that Shawne has done definitely continue to tarnish the Pacers PR effort to improve the team's image....but I think that if these things were to happen to Shawne on another team....it wouldn't be blown out of proportion as it is here. The player would get a slap on the wrist...and the rest of the team would move on. It
s unfortunate that Shawne is moving further and further away from the "untouchable" list.....cuz I really thought that he would be a decent player. Given the atmosphere that we are currently operating under.....I can see that it would be extremely difficult to properly fit in.

Kemo
07-21-2008, 06:18 AM
Pacers' Williams involved in Carmel traffic stop

Updated: July 19, 2008 06:34 PM

Cat Andersen/Eyewitness News

Carmel - Police in Hamilton County made a traffic stop Friday on a car driven by a much-maligned Pacers player.

Shawne Williams was behind the wheel when police stopped him for window tinting and a seatbelt violation on 96th Street. During the stop, a police dog sniffed out marijuana, leading to the arrest of a passenger, 21-year-old Darrell Smith, Jr. of Memphis, Tennessee.

While Smith was taken to the Hamilton County Jail for possession of a misdemeanor amount of marijuana, Williams was not arrested or cited.

It wasn't the first run-in with police for Williams and his associates. Last September, he was arrested with a passenger, Gary Bohanon of Tennessee, when a traffic stop uncovered marijuana and a stolen handgun in Williams' SUV.

"I got to watch who I hang with," Williams said after that arrest.

Less than six months later, Bohanon was arrested again, this time near Williams' home on the north side, while driving Williams' truck. At that time, Bohanon was wanted for a murder in Tennessee. Williams was not arrested in connection with the Tennessee homicide, but the association was enough for Pacers president Larry Bird to make a statement.

"We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," Bird said in February of this year. "It's time to grow up, it's time to be a man. You said you were going to just make sure these people don't come around."

Last month, before the NBA Draft, Bird again referenced Williams, warning that character counts.

"They're on thin ice. I've had enough," he said.

The Pacers issued a statement late Saturday, in light of the latest incident involving Williams.

"While Shawne Williams was not involved in any arrest or any criminal wrongdoing, we are extremely upset and hugely disappointed he once again has put himself in a position that jeopardizes Shawne's future as a member of the Indiana Pacers," Bird said in the statement. "I plan to meet with Shawne as soon as possible to discuss this further.

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=8702738

DisplacedKnick
07-21-2008, 07:04 AM
I'll chime in for no particular reason except that I'm bored.

Quite frankly, you might as well trade Shawne because he won't help the team much. I thought he wasn't the best choice when you drafted him just because you had Granger at SF and I still don't see a place for him.

As for this latest traffic stop. It's something of a case of dumbassedness but even more it demonstrates an inability for him to separate himself from his friends from Memphis, most of whom seem to have pretty spotty records. It's tough for a young man to distance himself from his buddies from his youth but it's something Shawne will have to do or eventually he'll land in even bigger trouble.

Zach Randolph, for all his problems (and his only being half a player) was finally able to get away from his Muncie people. Hopefully Shawne can do the same with folks from Memphis.

Since I don't see him as an NBA PF and since your best player is at Shawne's position, you should trade him. It doesn't have to be a fire sale or a waiving and there's no real time frame other than before the season starts but since he won't help you much on the court and since he hurts you in the PR dept, he should probably go.

Hopefully he can get his act together - whatever team gets him almost needs to hire a live-in mentor for him, someone to keep his head straight when it comes to his friends. Not sure if that will happen but if it doesn't, someday he'll be in much bigger trouble.

MagicRat
07-21-2008, 07:55 AM
During the stop, a police dog sniffed out marijuana, leading to the arrest of a passenger, 21-year-old Darrell Smith, Jr. of Memphis, Tennessee.

That's good a** defense by the Carmel police.......

Justin Tyme
07-21-2008, 08:08 AM
This pretty much sums it up for me....you figure that he would be smart enough to at least avoid being caught in a bad situation with whoever he hangs out with.

Honestly....I can totally see a team with a far more tolerant FO then ours snag him for cheap and then see him reach his potential on another team. I can betcha that DW would at some point call up Bird to see if he can wrangle him from the Pacers. A player like Shawne can excel under D'Antoni's offense.

If Shawne was on a different team...and you found out about all the stuff that he did.....would you feel that same way? I'm not condoning what he's doing....but everything that every player on the Pacers roster is so heavily scrutinized under a Electron Microscope that even if they ate their Steak with a salad fork...they would be chastised for not having the proper etiquette. I get the sense that many of the things that Shawne has done definitely continue to tarnish the Pacers PR effort to improve the team's image....but I think that if these things were to happen to Shawne on another team....it wouldn't be blown out of proportion as it is here. The player would get a slap on the wrist...and the rest of the team would move on. It
s unfortunate that Shawne is moving further and further away from the "untouchable" list.....cuz I really thought that he would be a decent player. Given the atmosphere that we are currently operating under.....I can see that it would be extremely difficult to properly fit in.

I'm a Pacers fan, 1st and foremost, so I really have nothing vested in what other players of other teams do. I'm not really overly concerned, but I DO CARE what the players do that have the name Pacers on the front of their jersey do.

Yes, in some communities and regions of the country, what Williams did is no big deal, but Indiana isn't one of those places. I don't live in those places. I live in Indiana, and it does matter to me. Some posters don't see a problem and even condone what Williams does for recreation in his own home. To be honest, I see more of a difference in views of generations on this issue. I believe, as a celeb, you have a right to a private life, but at the same time you are a role model and have an obligation to your team and community. Bottom line is Shawne has embarrassed his team, after being warned both privately and publicly, and has stepped over the line drawn in the sand by ownership and the FO. He knew the score and didn't do what needed to be done to correct any future problems. In my view, like with Tinsley, his life outside BB is more important to him. The Pacers don't need or can they afford players who feel this way. Shawne Williams has punched his own ticket to be moved, and has no one to blame for it but himself.

As far as Williams future as a NBA player, I hope for his sake it's a wake up call, but I personally have serious doubts he will/can. He just doesn't get it, nor does he have it inside of himself to change it. I'm not worried he'll go to another team, and become this wonderful player others feel he will. JMOAA

Putnam
07-21-2008, 08:12 AM
I agree with this.

How much of this recent PR snowball is simply telling fans that some of the players just don't care about Pacer basketball? With the price of tickets, parking, concessions, etc the Pacers are asking fans to make a substantial investment in the team. They are also needing the fans to make an emotional attachment to the team. But if fans feel the players aren't putting up their end of the bargain, is it any wonder there are issues at the gate?

The Pacers 2008-2009 slogan is:

Ignite the Passion, Restore the Pride!!

Shawne's slogan for 2008, and for the rest of his life, apparently is:

Ignite the doobie, Restore the buzz!!

Those two slogans can't work together.

It is perhaps a distraction from the real point that Shawne's (and Tinsley's, Harrison's and Daniels') off-court issues have legal ramifications. We go around and around about whether, and to what extent, the various incidents ought to be criminal, who was guilty, guilty of what, etc., etc.

BBall points out the more relevant point: Shawne isn't devoted to helping the Pacers win games. He's just here to "keep it real" and "live the life." He give of his natural talent, but little or nothing of initiative or devotion.

Some will argue that Shawne and other NBA players are allowed to have lives of their own and to do what they like during their off time. That is so. But when the things they choose to do detract from their ability to help the team, it becomes an issue for many fans.

As long as the Pacers suit up a roster of check-cashing part-timers, they get half-hearted support from the community.

Justin Tyme
07-21-2008, 08:23 AM
I agree with this.

The Pacers 2008-2009 slogan is:

Ignite the Passion, Restore the Pride!!

Shawne's slogan for 2008, and for the rest of his life, apparently is:

Ignite the doobie, Restore the buzz!!

Those two slogans can't work together.

It is perhaps a distraction from the real point that Shawne's (and Tinsley's, Harrison's and Daniels') off-court issues have legal ramifications. We go around and around about whether, and to what extent, the various incidents ought to be criminal, who was guilty, guilty of what, etc., etc.

BBall points out the more relevant point: Shawne isn't devoted to helping the Pacers win games. He's just here to "keep it real" and "live the life." He give of his natural talent, but little or nothing of initiative or devotion.

Some will argue that Shawne and other NBA players are allowed to have lives of their own and to do what they like during their off time. That is so. But when the things they choose to do detract from their ability to help the team, it becomes an issue for many fans.

As long as the Pacers suit up a roster of check-cashing part-timers, they get half-hearted support from the community.

I couldn't agree more with your post. It was a good read. I loved your Shawne slogan. It gave me a nice chuckle to start out the day.

Shawne just does not have nor does he show the dedication to be the player he was drafted to be. He, like Harrison, can take their "P", their weed, and lack of dedication with them elsewhere.

BillS
07-21-2008, 08:36 AM
*snip*

At some point you have to start being careful with what you are doing.

It doesn't matter that Shawne wasn't carrying. It doesn't matter that it was a friend's car. It matters that he wasn't wearing a seatbelt, but if that's the only thing (and, in fact, if the tinting was the only other thing) it doesn't hit the paper.

What matters is that this is yet another time that yet another dumb move has killed a Pacer marketing attempt during the offseason.

You and others may be able to say, "so what?" and move on, but - as I have said a number of times - it's getting to the point where any incident by any Pacer, no matter how small, will feed the bad guy image far more than justified.

Since that won't change, you have to stop doing even the littlest thing that could cause trouble.

We all know that management has given these guys the "talk" about the PR issues. We know that Shawne knows what his previous incidents did to the team's image.

We can be fair to the guys and say that continued incidents like this are OK, don't worry about it,. don't change a thing, the media is just picking on you, keep doing what you are doing. We can then see attendance levels at the Fieldhouse drop below our wildest nightmares. We can then see the Pacers move to Las Vegas.

So, if it's between unfairly punishing Shawne for being in the wrong place at the wrong time once or twice a year, or unfairly punishing ME because the team I love ends up getting screwed over by it, I have to be selfish and pick the former.

Remember I defended Shawne the first time and have defended his position with regards to the friend of his brother's. Third strike and I'm looking at things differently.

Trader Joe
07-21-2008, 08:46 AM
I will say that while Hicks doesn't want this to go into a serious debate on the intentions of the police, the more I read about it and think about it the more I think it's something that's pretty relevant to whether or not Shawne "gets it" and "cares".

1) Not his car - Shawne would not be aware that he'd requested tinting of an illegal level. Your buddy says "drive me over there" and you instantaneously realize that the level of window tinting is going to get you pulled over? Not likely unless it was insanely dark.

2) Seatbelt - not far from his house, and while seatbelts will get you ticketed you might as well take away my rights to buy tickets since I've gotten several for not using a seatbelt tacked onto a speeding ticket.

Of course I hate freedom and want to destroy the country by scoffing at minor laws.

3) Weed - if the buddy had a roach on him and didn't tell Shawne and was otherwise a decent guy then how would Shawne be in a position to "get it" and avoid the guy?

BTW, what if Shawne was driving A) Harrison B) Brad Miller C) John Mellancamp D) Robert Parrish E) Jim Irsay (pills, not weed, AFAIK) to dinner on 96th?

I'm betting right now that at least one person upset with Shawne in this case has been guilty, unknowingly perhaps, of driving someone that might have got them in trouble if they'd been pulled over and either seached or background checked. Someone they trusted and wouldn't consider "bad company".

Shawne's out at 6 pm in this case. At 96th street. Pulled over not for wreckless driving, speeding, running a light, swerving, nothing, but for the tinting being too dark on someone else's car. So it's quite possible, even probable given those circumstances, that Shawne really did think he was proving he "got it".

DARE just called. They said "friends don't let friends drive high"...."oh but if they drive friends that are high they are scumbags anyway just for knowing about them so really it doesn't matter so you might as well let them drive themselves and run into someone else cause really F everyone else too"

Seth, it's not like this is Shawne's first screw up. If it was then it would be different, but it isn't.

Roaming Gnome
07-21-2008, 08:49 AM
At the end of the day, Shawne isn't responsible enough to hold up his end of the bargain being a Pacer right now.

Honestly I could give a ***** about the weed, or the nature of the police stop... The bottom line is Shawne isn't going to figure it out about his friends.

Heck, back in the day when I was a little bit more rogue and didn't have a family or career , I smoked up a l'il rope. Till this day, I have friends and associates that still smoke, but they know better then to do it around my home or car. I'm not a celebrity, but I have too much to risk with that kind of slip up and my friends know this, so the weed is rarely out if I'm around.

Shawne is like the co-worker that always manages to get into too much booze at the Christmas Party. You know at the end of the night, he is either going to embarras you as always, or you just end up feeling for the dude just because you know how the story ends because it is something that you've seen on an annual basis.

count55
07-21-2008, 09:11 AM
At the end of the day, Shawne isn't responsible enough to hold up his end of the bargain being a Pacer right now.

This single sentence is the most articulate summation of the situation, in my opinion.

RamBo_Lamar
07-21-2008, 09:15 AM

Honestly I could give a ***** about the weed, or the nature of the police stop... The bottom line is Shawne isn't going to figure it out about his friends.

Agreed.

It is these ding-dongs he keeps bringing up here from Memphis into our
community that always get caught for something.

What needs to be done with Shawne now is either:

A.) Trade him to a west coast team that is far enough away that the
ding-dongs won't want to drive that far and will leave him alone.

B.) Trade him to Toronto where the ding-dongs would have to make a
border crossing.

or

C.) Trade him to Memphis so they can deal with it since it is their ding-dongs
that keep showing up here causing problems.

Whichever way, it's time for the dude to move along.

BlueNGold
07-21-2008, 09:19 AM
The bottom line is Shawne isn't going to figure it out about his friends.

Very good. I would add that it's more that we don't have the TIME for him to cut ties due to the present circumstances.

In addition, if he were clearly going to be better than Granger, it would be different. The truth is, we will soon have 20M+ tied up paying two good SF's.

Assuming Shawne turns out much better than Granger (good luck), what the heck do we do? Sign him (another SF) to a huge contract? Assuming Shawne is less than or equal to Granger (far more likely), he is duplicative. If equal, we still pay big bucks. If less than, who cares?

Adios amigo.

Tom White
07-21-2008, 09:20 AM
If it's not just the PR issue for you, then what has Shawne done that is morally worse than Rush or Bird?

I simply do not know that much about Rush. As to Bird, I think a number of people on here already know that I'm not a fan of his.

Putnam
07-21-2008, 09:20 AM
I'd like to add just a bit more.

If you've read any social history from the Depression era, you will know how important baseball was during those years. Baseball (along with boxing and movies) provided the heroes that people needed.

Today we are talking about how ticket sales are down because of the poor economy. I argue that that is factually incorrect. But even so, it puts us a long way from a time when fan support increased because of a poor economy: when sports was heroic and inspirational.

Ty Cobb was a beast who just wouldn't lose without a fight. He played dirty, because he wanted to win. And people who were losing their jobs and houses identified with him, loved him, and paid their last dollar to watch him play.

Shawne is a long way down from that ideal. His offenses are minor, and probably nothing worse than what Ruth got away with in the 20s and 30s. But Shawne's lack of devotion and commitment are a serious disappointment.

Justin Tyme
07-21-2008, 09:41 AM

If you've read any social history from the Depression era, you will know how important baseball was during those years. Baseball (along with boxing and movies) provided the heroes that people needed.

Today we are talking about how ticket sales are down because of the poor economy. I argue that that is factually incorrect. But even so, it puts us a long way from a time when fan support increased because of a poor economy: when sports was heroic and inspirational.

Ty Cobb was a beast who just wouldn't lose without a fight. He played dirty, because he wanted to win. And people who were losing their jobs and houses identified with him, loved him, and paid their last dollar to watch him play.

Shawne is a long way down from that ideal. His offenses are minor, and probably nothing worse than what Ruth got away with in the 20s and 30s. But Shawne's lack of devotion and commitment are a serious disappointment.

I saw an evening program last week saying much of what you are saying, but in today's society there are much more ways of spending one's money on entertainment than back then in that society. There wasn't much to do during the 30's for entertainment other than the movies, baseball, and ND football, at least that's what I hear from the older folks.:D

Ramitt
07-21-2008, 09:59 AM
I think Justin nails it, lots of competition for the entertainment dollar. I have not done any hard research, but I am under the impression that tickets where generally more affordable for baseball games in that era.

Bball
07-21-2008, 10:27 AM
I agree with this.

:woohoo: Somebody read my post and commented on it. I was starting to wonder if anyone even read it.

-Bball

naptownmenace
07-21-2008, 10:30 AM
What further makes it "bad" is that he KNOWS he's under scrutiny right now, and that the Pacers in general are as well, and yet let this happen. In isolation this is "nothing", but now, with what he's aware of concerning his job and its environment? Just dumb.

I bet he's called in for a "random" drug test today by the Pacers.

Dukins
07-21-2008, 10:39 AM
Well I guess this means McRoberts doesnt have too worry about losing his spot on the roster now.

FerengiMiller
07-21-2008, 11:48 AM
http://www.theindychannel.com/2007/0911/14089086_240X180.jpg

James's on a vacation far away
Come around and talk it over
So many things that I wanna say
You know I like my Pacers a little bit older
I just wanna use your love tonight
I don't wanna lose your love tonight

http://www.nba.com/media/pacers/williams_white_060629.jpg

Los Angeles
07-21-2008, 12:18 PM
I have to give Shawne a pass on this one.

And forgive me for going here, but it kind of feels like a case of DWB. why in the hell was this car searched when all it was pulled over for were tinted windows? Seriously, WTF?

Tom White
07-21-2008, 12:24 PM
I have to give Shawne a pass on this one.

And forgive me for going here, but it kind of feels like a case of DWB. why in the hell was this car searched when all it was pulled over for were tinted windows? Seriously, WTF?

As I stated earlier in this thread - How would they know his skin color if the tinting was so dark as to be illegal?

Te DWB defense makes no sense to me.

Oneal07
07-21-2008, 12:30 PM
This is nothing. . .But is sucks that he put himself in that position

avoidingtheclowns
07-21-2008, 12:45 PM
As I stated earlier in this thread - How would they know his skin color if the tinting was so dark as to be illegal?

same way they knew about a seat belt violation?

Peck
07-21-2008, 12:49 PM
http://www.theindychannel.com/2007/0911/14089086_240X180.jpg

James's on a vacation far away
Come around and talk it over
So many things that I wanna say
You know I like my Pacers a little bit older

http://www.nba.com/media/pacers/williams_white_060629.jpg

Ah the outfield.

Now I'm missing my youth again.

FerengiMiller
07-21-2008, 01:07 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/shawne_williams.jpg

I ain't got many friends left to talk to
No one's around when I'm in trouble
You know I'd do anything for you Larry
Stay the night but keep it undercover

Trying to stop my hands from shakin'
Somethin' in my mind's not makin' sense
It's been a while since we were all alone
I can't hide the way I'm feelin'

As you leave me please would you close the door
and don't forget what I told you
Just 'cause you're right - that don't mean I'm wrong
Another shoulder to cry upon

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0efBgbw2zgfgP/340x.jpg

FerengiMiller
07-21-2008, 01:12 PM
& Heres the music video: Shawne Williams, "Break the Ice"

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NsydFrHXc5Q&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NsydFrHXc5Q&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="349"></embed></object>

(Haha just joking, but it does look a little like S-Dub, and they're in a car, getting "crunk", etc., etc.)

Speed
07-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Ah the outfield.

Now I'm missing my youth again.

Puts me on a beach in Daytona as a 17 year old with a crappy radio in the sand while on vacation. Really doesn't get much better than that. Josie's on a vacation far away.......

Los Angeles
07-21-2008, 01:58 PM
I wonder if the car had rims?

You don't have to be black to get pulled over for DWB.

DisplacedKnick
07-21-2008, 02:18 PM
I wonder if the car had rims?

You don't have to be black to get pulled over for DWB.

Around here it's mostly a way to go after illegal immigrants. Still racially motivated though you'll never get anyone to admit that.

Trader Joe
07-21-2008, 02:19 PM
If the weed has just been pulled out as Shawne was being pulled over its very likely that the cop could have smelled it.

Second of all, how dumb is Shawne that he gets pulled over for having extremely dark tints and doesn't put his damn seatbelt on as the cop is walking up to the car? Seriously that is beyond stupid. If the tints are dark enough to warrant being pulled over then they are dark enough to give you the ability to put your seat belt on.

Speed
07-21-2008, 02:23 PM
For all of the Shawne apologists:

Awwww, poor Shawne, poor victim, poor guy. He needs to go somewhere where he won't be treated so unfairly. It isn't fair he gets treated so bad for doing nothing wrong. :rolleyes:

Some people just kill me.

I hope Shawne finds a team that will pay him tens of millions of dollars, holds him to a lower standard than the rest of the general population and coddles him the way he deserves.

It just doesn't need to be THIS team that does it. Not now, not again, not anymore.

Let's play some basketball now, not babysit.

Trader Joe
07-21-2008, 02:28 PM
Well it makes some sense from the standpoint that Shawne was very close to his home when this occurred.

ABADays
07-21-2008, 02:37 PM

I do a lot of reading about sports history (baseball and football mostly but some basketball too) and at my age I've lived a lot of the sports history. A lot of what you say is true - although I'm not sure Cobb would be my reference point.

While Shawne's offenses are not gross by most interpretations it his accumulation of offenses in a very compressed time that is more than disturbing. I mean, truthfully, he acts like he has no sense whatsoever. If that's true I don't want the guy around.

Justin - I agree with what you said about the entertainment dollar. There are a lot of options nowadays. I have a ceiling on anything I buy. That is the primary reason I haven't been to a concert in years. Sporting events are at the same place. If I go to a game I want relatively good seats or the experience isn't worth it to me. And, unfortunately, the seats I want exceed what I am willing to pay. So it's a Catch 22 for me on a regular basis. But I am conditioned enough to enjoy the action on TV and can justify a "spending binge" on occasion.

count55
07-21-2008, 02:42 PM

I do a lot of reading about sports history (baseball and football mostly but some basketball too) and at my age I've lived a lot of the sports history. A lot of what you say is true - although I'm not sure Cobb would be my reference point.

While Shawne's offenses are not gross by most interpretations it his accumulation of offenses in a very compressed time that is more than disturbing. I mean, truthfully, he acts like he has no sense whatsoever. If that's true I don't want the guy around.

Justin - I agree with what you said about the entertainment dollar. There are a lot of options nowadays. I have a ceiling on anything I buy. That is the primary reason I haven't been to a concert in years. Sporting events are at the same place. If I go to a game I want relatively good seats or the experience isn't worth it to me. And, unfortunately, the seats I want exceed what I am willing to pay. So it's a Catch 22 for me on a regular basis. But I am conditioned enough to enjoy the action on TV and can justify a "spending binge" on occasion.

The two main problems with using Ty Cobb as a reference point here are that (a) he was one of the most racist, all-around scumbags ever to play sports (or take a breath, for that matter) and (b)he played his last game more than a year before the Crash in 1929 and the ensuing depression.

purdue101
07-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Well it makes some sense from the standpoint that Shawne was very close to his home when this occurred.

I can confirm that.

Shawne lives 500 yards from where he got stopped. Right behind the River Ridge Apartments by Blu Martini.

The dude that got arrested pretty much free loads at his house. He only comes out when he runs to the liquor store by Blu Martini. Always wearing flip flops, basketball shorts, and a wife beater. Drives a 40K Dodge Ram w/ every bell and whistle imaginable.......on Shawne's dime of course.

Tom White
07-21-2008, 03:07 PM
same way they knew about a seat belt violation?

My guess would be that when the officer had him roll down the window, the officer saw Williams was not wearing the seatbelt.

Just a guess, but I think it is a good one.