PDA

View Full Version : J.J. to the Pacers, Not a Redickulous Thought!

FerengiMiller
07-18-2008, 12:43 AM
Written By: Brent Jonathan Beck

In a past interview with the Charlotte Observer , J.J. Redick said, “I think I'll be a role player like 80 percent of the players in the league are.” J.J. continued to say that he doesn’t “expect to be a star,” and he is just going to “shoot,” and “be a team player,” seems to fit the mold of the type of player Herb Simon, Larry Bird, and Jim O’Brien are looking for in their attempt to change the culture, chemistry, and style of the Indiana Pacers.

Since Redick was selected 11th overall by the Orlando Magic in the 2006 NBA Draft, J.J. was correct about one of his predictions, he hasn’t become a star. Redick not becoming a star isn’t a result of a lack in effort, injuries, or a bad attitude, but it’s a result of his head coaches Brian Hill (2006-07) and Stan Van Gundy (2007-08) never letting him play. In Redick’s first two years in the NBA, the Orlando Magic haven’t allowed the arguable best shooter in the history of college basketball the opportunity to shoot the ball, so the notion that Redick can’t play in the NBA is absurd because nobody really knows. Since Redick publicly demanded a trade for the second time in his young career Pacers fans can only hope Larry Bird sees the potential in J.J. Redick and attempts to package a deal to bring J.J. to the Indiana Pacers, just look at the career turnaround the last Duke player Bird brought to the Pacers had, Mike Dunleavy Junior.

http://assets.sbnation.com/imported_assets/4210/nba_a_redick_sq_300_medium.jpg

To put Redick’s playing time with the Orlando Magic into perspective Flip Murray joined the Pacers for their final 23 games and played 529 minutes. In the same season (2007-08) with the Orlando Magic, out of the 82 regular season games Redick was only given the opportunity to play in 34 games, playing 276 minutes. Even 27 year old Andre Owens of the Indiana Pacers received more playing time (392 minutes) in comparison to Redick. In knowing Owens is technically a point guard and Redick a shooting guard, I still believe that with the Pacers currently rebuilding, having Redick on the Pacers roster and giving him 15-20 minutes a game would not only fill up more seats but with Redick’s upside he could ultimately end up a legitimate scoring threat, I know we just got Brandon Rush but Redick has been in the league for 2 years he is young and even more ready to step in and hell the Bulls had Michael Jordan but that didn't stop them from bringing Steve Kerr in for 20 minutes a night, good players find time and Redick would find time on our roster. Redick still has unknown potential and with hardly playing the last two years the Pacers could get Redick at a discount.

When first hired by the Indiana Pacers Jim O'Brien said the Pacers need to add shooters because he likes the 3-point shot. In shooting the three-ball his first season at a franchise record setting pace, JOB proved to the fans that he sincerely is committed to the three-ball, but as he said on an online chat transcript with fans on Pacers.com, "We don't want to take bad three-point shots, our definition of a good three is when we have a standstill open three-pointer." When asked who he believed were 3-point threats, JOB mentioned Granger, Dunleavy, Williams, Murphy, and Tinsley. With Tinsley likely out of the Pacers future plans, it is obvious that a 12 man active roster with a system and coaching style built around the three-ball needs more than a third of the players with three-ball capabilities. Now that T.J. Ford and Jarrett Jack are goign to be running the show, that will open up even more open shots for Redick, especially with Ford's lighting fast speed and ability to run the floor like no other!

In 2004, Dick Vitale called Redick the best pure shooter in college basketball since Chris Mullin was at St. John's in the early 1980s and Pacers fans surely haven’t forgotten about the impact Mullin had on the Pacers when acquired from Golden State for center Eric Dampier (Mullin helped the Pacers to the 2000 NBA Finals). In reference to Redick, former AP National Coach of the Year Matt Doherty said, "If you were to teach a young man how to shoot, you would show him video of J.J. Redick because his form is textbook." During his playing days in college, no shooter received more attention from defenses than Redick, and that pool of players included the likes of Chris Paul, Ben Gordon, and Rashad McCants. With Paul averaging over 37 minutes per game, Gordon 31, and McCants 27 in the 2007-08 NBA season it makes no sense whatsoever that Redick averaged only 8 minutes per game with the Orlando Magic.

http://assets.sbnation.com/imported_assets/4216/g_redick_412_medium.jpg

Many of the NBA experts projected Redick in the worst case scenario to end up in a similar role as Steve Kerr had during his 5 year stint with the Chicago Bulls. During his time in Chicago, Kerr averaged 23 minutes per game, shot 47 3P%, averaged 8 points per game, and helped the Bulls to three NBA championships (and two more later in his career with the San Antonio Spurs in a diminished role). One of the main arguments against Redick is that he is too small. With Kerr being 6-1 and 180 lb he was undoubtedly successful and useful in a pure shooter role player off the bench for Chicago, so why couldn’t the 6-4 190 lb Redick do the same for a team in the NBA like the Pacers? In his career at Duke, Redick made 457 three pointers, ranking number one in NCAA and ACC history. It is obvious that Redick can shoot the three-ball and the Pacers need more three point threats. With the chance of getting Redick for someone like similarly under utilized (and over glorified) Jeff Foster who is on the downside of his career, who many teams, including the Orlando Magic, need the strengthen their up front players (had talks with Magic fans who said they would be sad to see Redick go, but are fully open to the trade of Foster for Redick to help them win now) Pacers fans can only hope Larry Bird at least calls Magic GM Otis Thorpe about Redick. Redick is now stuck behind 3 other shooting guards as the Magic and Stan Van Gundy continue to screw this young man over, bring him to JOB and Larry, they will find him a place and he will thrive in Indy!

Awards Redick Won at Duke

James Sullivan Award
John R. Wooden Award
James Naismith Award
Adolph F. Rupp Trophy (Repeat)
Senior CLASS Award
Consensus All-American (Repeat)
AP National Player of the Year
NABC Co-Player of the Year
USBWA Co-Player of the Year
ESPN National Player of the Year
Sporting News National Player of the Year
Basketball Times National POY
ACC Player of the Year (Repeat)
ACC Tournament MVP (Repeat)

Quotes About Redick

"I'm glad he's on our side because we still have a chance as long as we have him."

"He's off the charts with focus and commitment. Nobody has had more or done it better here...He's one of the truly great players to play in this conference. Of all time, this kid's a treasure. That's part of learning every year and not being satisfied with where you're at. He's a believer."

Duke Blue Devils Head, Coach Mike Krzyzewski

"He's more than just a shooter. He's tough and knows how to play."

Boston Celtics Head Coach, Doc Rivers

"I saw [J.J.] against Texas, and he shot the lights out. I saw him against Memphis, and he shot the lights out. Those are two fairly athletic teams. The ACC is filled with athletes who tried to shut him down, and he set the all-time scoring record."

Portland Trail Blazers GM John Nash

"He's the best shooter in the college game by far. His footwork, finish, rotation. It's flawless; it really is."

NBA shooting coach Dave Hopla

count55
07-18-2008, 12:48 AM
Sadly, I think I've actually seen people spell ridiculous that way, and they weren't trying to be clever.

McKeyFan
Well, is he any good?

:whoknows:

GrangerRanger
Any evidence of Larry Bird actually being interested?

FerengiMiller
07-18-2008, 12:54 AM
All I know is when he was in the draft, he was one of Birds top targets and Bird wanted to trade up and get him, but we stayed put and ended up landing Granger (who Bird thought would be gone before Redick)... All I know is HoopsHype has said that the Redick trade rumors are starting back up again and they think he is on the open market... they are totally screwing the guy over, supposedly he works his *** off... he would be soo fun to bring into Indianapolis!!! I would love it, with the secrecy Bird and Jimmy M keep with their trade ideas and leads we will never know but I hope to god they are at least thinking about it.... imagine bringing him into our offense!!! The threes we shoot, its like the best scenerio of all time!!!!!

GrangerRanger
07-18-2008, 12:55 AM
JJ Reddick was taken in the draft where we took Shawne Williams at 17.

travmil
07-18-2008, 12:57 AM
He's a one dimensional player. All he does is shoot. He does it well, when he's open and set. He doesn't shoot off of screens at all. And unfortunately for JJ, the NBA is not filled with defenders shorter than he is. When you only do one thing it doesn't take long for NBA defenses to take it away. You can get away with being a one dimensional shooter in this league if you're 6'8" or taller, but he isn't.

FerengiMiller
07-18-2008, 01:02 AM
He's a one dimensional player. All he does is shoot. He does it well, when he's open and set. He doesn't shoot offf of screens at all. And unfortunately for JJ, the NBA is not filled with defenders shorter than he is. When you only do one thing it doesn't take long for NBA defenses to take it away.

Tell that to STEVE KERR babbbbyyy, coming outttaaaa ZONA everyone was saying the same thing... 3 rings with the bulls, 1 with the Spurs, he is a ptper and he is 3 inches shorterr than redick, keep hating on the kid, hes a hard worker, he knows his time will come I love thee.. Im living the American dream here, I know it might not happen but I know its going too, he might be one dimensional, but thats our main dimension baby, they said they same thing about Reggie, they said the same thing about Thunder Dan Marjle, they said it about Ray Allen, they said it about Rip Hamilton, let the kid on the court, let the kid shoot baby hes a PTPer who brings his lunch box to work

TheSauceMaster
07-18-2008, 01:03 AM
Sheesh , I thought this topic was about James Jones.

travmil
07-18-2008, 01:05 AM
Tell that to STEVE KERR babbbbyyy, coming outttaaaa ZONA everyone was saying the same thing... 3 rings with the bulls, 1 with the Spurs...

Yep, the Bulls won because of Steve Kerr. The rest of the NBA teams need to recognize they are just a JJ Reddick away from 4 rings. How silly of me.

Coop
07-18-2008, 01:10 AM
Every time I hear his name, I think of this picture:

http://misterirrelevant.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/redickulously-gay.jpg

But anyways, I don't see Redick contributing here at all. Diener is basically the same thing, but he can actually run the point effectively.

MillerTime
07-18-2008, 01:10 AM
He's a one dimensional player. All he does is shoot. He does it well, when he's open and set. He doesn't shoot off of screens at all. And unfortunately for JJ, the NBA is not filled with defenders shorter than he is. When you only do one thing it doesn't take long for NBA defenses to take it away. You can get away with being a one dimensional shooter in this league if you're 6'8" or taller, but he isn't.

i agree. All JJ can do is shoot the ball. Hes not a good defender, doesnt come off screens, doesnt rebound well, and cant attack the rim that well. Hes basically a one dimentional shooter. We dont need him on the Pacers. We have enough swingmen as it is. With Granger, Dunleavy, Rush, Daniels and Shawne Williams, there are you going to find time for JJ?

JayRedd
07-18-2008, 01:17 AM
Yep, the Bulls won because of Steve Kerr. The rest of the NBA teams need to recognize they are just a JJ Reddick away from 4 rings. How silly of me.

QOCcd-iAljI

travmil
07-18-2008, 01:18 AM
Hey FerengiMiller, I know your new here, but one of the big rules is when you post an article like you did above, you have to prvide a link for it and post it along with it. The admins here watch that like hawks. They'll ask you to fix it and delete the whole thread if you don't.

FerengiMiller
07-18-2008, 01:22 AM
JJ Reddick was taken in the draft where we took Shawne Williams at 17.

Wowsa... brain freezee..... youre totally right.. its late im retarded haha..

FerengiMiller
07-18-2008, 01:26 AM
Hey FerengiMiller, I know your new here, but one of the big rules is when you post an article like you did above, you have to prvide a link for it and post it along with it. The admins here watch that like hawks. They'll ask you to fix it and delete the whole thread if you don't.

I wrote the article, I am Brent Beck, I dont think that is necessary, it is all my work brassiffff, I posted in on Indy Cornrows earlier in the summer and updated it to post on here tonight.... bada bing bada boom..... you know??

:dance:I think that settlees it arooggaaa:dance:

Heres the link: http://ballhype.com/story/j_j_to_the_pacers_not_a_redickulous_thought/
(keep in mind I updated it, so it includes the notion of JO stayin, etc. etc. yada yada hoopla, im a ptp author baaaby!!!!)

travmil
07-18-2008, 01:28 AM
Hehe I was not aware of that. That DOES change things.

Spirit
07-18-2008, 01:29 AM
I'd love him in a pacers uni but he wouldn't get minutes..

CableKC
07-18-2008, 01:35 AM
Redick said that he's pretty much a roleplayer. Although it's nice to have a roleplayer that can do it all.....a roleplayer is supposed to be brought in for limited minutes to do a few things great. In Reddick's case....fulfill the role of simply getting open, waiting for the wide open look and hitting a 3pt shoot for the few minutes that any roleplayer would get.

If we didn't have Stephen...I would consider getting Reddick just to see if he can fulfill the same type of role that Brent Barry did for the Spurs.

FerengiMiller
07-18-2008, 01:35 AM
Hehe I was not aware of that. That DOES change things.

Haha cool, glad we got that off the plate... now who are we trading for JJ babby Ill give them the trade exception ill give em Foster Ill give em anybdoy but the core, give em Diener, give em Jeff, givem Rasho, give em Marquis, give em whatever it takes baby! JJ is a PTPer, he is big time, he is america, hes clutch, hes got the shot, hes got the heart, bring em to Indy, give him a chance Larry, this kid went to school for the long run, he already won over the hearts of the NCAA, now let him take a shot at the NBA baby!

http://cache.deadspin.com/sports/vitale.jpg

FerengiMiller
07-18-2008, 01:37 AM
I would consider getting Reddick just to see if he can fulfill the same type of role that Brent Barry did for the Spurs.

Get Graham outta here!!! He couldnt be Brent barry if his life depended on it baby, Redick could, redick would, Redick would be drainin them from downtown all night baby, give the kida shot.... Im looking bigger than brent barry im talking ginobli... actually thats pushin it... lets stick to brent barry baby!!! The kids got heart, the kid can shoot the lights out, he would be perfect!!!!

Kuq_e_Zi91
07-18-2008, 01:52 AM
I'm not feeling JJ Reddick. What can he do that Dunleavy can't? I basically see him as a poor poor man's Dunleavy.

We have enough wings. Yes, O'Brien said he would like more 3 point shooters. He also said he would like more defense since it was "horrible" last year. JJ won't fill that need.

I see it this way, he couldn't beat out Keith Bogans and Keyon Dooling for time. I believe this means, Van Gundy saw him play defense in practice against these guys and his mentality was "OK so JJ can give me 10-15 points a game but what good does that do me when he gives up 20-25 on the other end? " I'll pass. We don't need anymore defense liabilities.

Kaufman
07-18-2008, 02:00 AM
The Dick Vitale thing is getting old.

Anthem
07-18-2008, 02:12 AM
You're obviously in love, so I'll be gentle.

Not in a million years.

Redick not becoming a star isn’t a result of a lack in effort, injuries, or a bad attitude, but it’s a lack of talent and athleticism.
There, I fixed that typo for you.

Since Redick publicly demanded a trade for the second time in his young career
Right, because that just SCREAMS team player.

Pacers fans can only hope Larry Bird sees the potential in J.J. Redick and attempts to package a deal to bring J.J. to the Indiana Pacers, just look at the career turnaround the last Duke player Bird brought to the Pacers had, Mike Dunleavy Junior.
Work out a deal for Tinsley and we're interested. Otherwise, what are we going to do with him?

Even 27 year old Andre Owens of the Indiana Pacers received more playing time (392 minutes) in comparison to Redick.
That's a really telling point, but I don't think it says what you want it to say. I will agree, though, if you're saying that Andre Owens is more likely to be useful to an NBA team than JJ Redick.

having Redick on the Pacers roster and giving him 15-20 minutes a game
You're on drugs. He's not going to get minutes over Rush or Dunleavy, and I'd rather play Danny, Shawne, Quis, or Graham at the 2 than JJ. Apparently, so would every other coach in the league. There's no way on earth JJ gets 20 minutes a game on the Pacers, and they're not a very good team.

It is obvious that Redick can shoot the three-ball and the Pacers need more three point threats.
No, they don't. They have plenty of 3-point threats. What they need is somebody who can create off the dribble and lock down their man. JJ can't do either of those things.

With the chance of getting Redick for someone like similarly under utilized Jeff Foster
:lynchmob:

many teams, including the Orlando Magic, need the strengthen their up front players (had talks with Magic fans who said they would be sad to see Reidkc go, but are fully open to the trade of Foster for Redick to help them win now)
Understatement of the year.

Kuq_e_Zi91
07-18-2008, 03:19 AM
I completely agree with Anthem.

I'm sorry I don't see the logic in trading a big for a wing, when we already have too many wings and not enough bigs.(especially Jeff Foster)

This Reddick thing just isn't going to work. We need toughness!!

d_c
07-18-2008, 03:26 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hwRa2j2s6ao

Will Galen
07-18-2008, 03:51 AM
Foster for Redickulous?

Ahhhmmm . . . I agree with Anthem, you are in love!

Rajah Brown
07-18-2008, 06:17 AM
Hmm. Queensbridge, N.Y. Why does that ring a bell ? Ahh, I got it,
Artest is from there. Is there something in the water out there ?

Reddick is a one trick pony. No tks !

Justin Tyme
07-18-2008, 07:02 AM
Lets take 1st things 1st:

1st) The trading Foster for JJ. Apparently, you didn't take the time to consider the difference in their salaries which wouldn't allow the trade to work from the start. Foster makes 5.5 mil vs JJ's 2.1 mil. In other words the trade won't work! Nor can the Pacers take back another player in a trade with already having 16 players with guaranteed contracts.

2nd) I'm not about to give up Foster's rebounding and "D" for an unestablished NBA 3 pt shooter. We need him as big more than JJ as a 3 pt shooter. Who is going to rebound all those JJ missed 3's, Williams?

3rd) JJ CAN'T play "D". If you watched the Pacers the last 3 years would would have seen the Pacers had NO perimeter "D", so why do the Pacers need JJ who can't guard the end of the bench he sets on in Orlando let alone in Indy.

4th) Graham is a more complete player than JJ, and he's having trouble finding PT with the Pacers. I'll take Graham's game over JJ's.

5th) I know this is going to upset some of the IU faithful on this board, but JJ is nothing more than Steve Alford. Being on a great team in college with winning the NCAA championship doesn't translate into being great in the NBA.... Steve Alford.

6th) Where on the end of the bench is he going to be sitting? Oh yeah, next to another Duke player. Now, the Pacers can have McDud I and new version McDud II.

I will give you a A+ for your passion/love for JJ though even though it might be misplaced.

t1hs0n
07-18-2008, 07:27 AM
So, he is a bit like a sg version of Ike?

Speed
07-18-2008, 07:44 AM
If he was a Pacers 2nd round pick... I'd hope he'd make the team. If he made the team, I'd hope he'd get some back up shooting guard minutes like in the 12-15 minute range, against matchups. If he got burn, I would hope he would use his shooting to his advantage in those short stints.

Otherwise, no thanks. I'd trade Tinsley for him, but I'd trade Tinsely for a ball rack. I'd invite him to camp, if he was a league min. free agent. Thats it, because there are now guys on the team that would play in front of him, at least 3, maybe 4, if you count Grahm.

I don't hate him, if this was last years team, it would have been nice to have him as a back up shooting guard. I'm still afraid Obie wouldn't have played him last year due to his requirement for at least average defensive ability.

He is the epitomey of a great college player who doesn't translate at the pro level yet, probably never. I guess he has some hope because of the Kapano factor, but that is it.

He's the Shawne Respert of this generation.

You say who?

Exactly!!

King Tuts Tomb
07-18-2008, 07:50 AM
In the unlikely event that we did trade for him, could we be the only team in the league to throw out a full American-born white guy starting five?

Diener
Redick
Dunleavy
Murphy
Foster

With Mcroberts as the sixth man. Maybe try and get Brad Miller back. It'd be like Hoosiers.

mike_D
07-18-2008, 08:13 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hwRa2j2s6ao

Wow, that was funny. As far as Reddick is concerned I thought he was one of the most complete jumpshooters I have ever seen in College basketball. Some have said he's just a spot up shooter and can't come off screens to catch and shoot and can't shoot a jumper off the dribble. That may or maynot be true in the NBA I really haven't seen enough of him in the NBA to judge that but in college he made a living coming off screens and hitting shots off the dribble. He also had great range and could get his shot off quick if he had to but at the end of the day being 6'4 shooting guard was probably to much for him to overcome considering he's not a great athlete and a defensive liability even though he is a hard worker.

2minutes twowa
07-18-2008, 09:01 AM
Every time I hear his name, I think of this picture:

http://misterirrelevant.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/redickulously-gay.jpg

But anyways, I don't see Redick contributing here at all. Diener is basically the same thing, but he can actually run the point effectively.

:laugh::applaud::rotflmao:

aero
07-18-2008, 09:05 AM
In the unlikely event that we did trade for him, could we be the only team in the league to throw out a full American-born white guy starting five?

Diener
Redick
Dunleavy
Murphy
Foster

With Mcroberts as the sixth man. Maybe try and get Brad Miller back. It'd be like Hoosiers.

and we'd pretty much be a sure thing lock in for the first pick in next years draft lol

Tom White
07-18-2008, 09:50 AM
I wrote the article, I am Brent Beck

Well, that answers the question I was going to ask. Being, who is Brent Beck and why does he think Foster is "under utilized", and why does he think we would trade one of our valuable front court players for a guy like Reddick?

Anthem
07-18-2008, 10:06 AM
Well, that answers the question I was going to ask. Being, who is Brent Beck and why does he think Foster is "under utilized", and why does he think we would trade one of our valuable front court players for a guy like Reddick?
He's an Indiana boy in his late teens, early 20s. Big Duke fan, but he's too young to have been there when Redick was there, although he might be there now. He's a fan of winning franchises, so he remembers the old Pacers and was impressed with Duke. He hasn't really followed the Pacers much since Reggie retired. He latched onto Reddick as "the next Reggie Miller" when JJ was still in college, because he loved that the guy hit big shots from long range. Chicks aren't the only ones who dig the long ball.

He's into Trek, which means he doesn't play ball himself. He wants to be a sports journalist, so he's writing articles in his own name in an attempt to build his brand and get writing experience. His articles aren't terribly well-read, so he pushes them out to message boards. He's writing them for free, because if he was getting paid per click he'd want to direct the ad traffic to the site.

That's all a guess. I'll do research next.

Anthem
07-18-2008, 10:09 AM
Well, I was off. He's pursuing a career in professional basketball in the player personnel department.

http://www.sbnation.com/users/Brent%20Beck

http://labs.daylife.com/journalist/brent_beck

Wait, he can't be IndyCornrows. That dude already has an account here, plus he wouldn't try to make a case for JJ based solely on his NCAA performance.

Speed
07-18-2008, 10:22 AM
He's an Indiana boy in his late teens, early 20s. Big Duke fan, but he's too young to have been there when Redick was there, although he might be there now. He's a fan of winning franchises, so he remembers the old Pacers and was impressed with Duke. He hasn't really followed the Pacers much since Reggie retired. He latched onto Reddick as "the next Reggie Miller" when JJ was still in college, because he loved that the guy hit big shots from long range. Chicks aren't the only ones who dig the long ball.

He's into Trek, which means he doesn't play ball himself. He wants to be a sports journalist, so he's writing articles in his own name in an attempt to build his brand and get writing experience. His articles aren't terribly well-read, so he pushes them out to message boards. He's writing them for free, because if he was getting paid per click he'd want to direct the ad traffic to the site.

Brutally hilarious!! Nice work! :dance:

FerengiMiller
07-18-2008, 10:59 AM

(a)You're rude, I hate Duke, I hate J.J. Redick, and youre gettin near being added to the list (likely not but stop hatin' on me ha). It was just an idea. I came up with it at the beginning of the summer, and yes we have gotten more three point threats and no I dont watch Star Trek. Ferengii is a nickname Reggie has been given by NBA players since he first came into the league because of he similar look to the Ferengi's on Star Trek. (b) Geez louise, don't be so vindictive, did I say the trade was going to happen, no? Half of the idiotic trades most people come up with arent even reasonable or possible. (c) All of you can go date Jeff Foster since all of you are obsessed with having a over 30 glorified rebounder on a team destine for mediocricy because you know nothing about basketball, he is too old for this team and doesn't fit in, we need youth to help build or franchise to win down the road, not guy who are on the downside of their careers. (d) I played basketball and am in college and no longer am involved. (e) I don't want to be a sports journalist. (f) I put my real name with my work because I am not a wimp hiding behind some fake name, because you likely, are a hater to most everyone, always negative. (g) I love the Pacers, I never miss a game, I love every player they get, and I am always thinking into the future. You think I didn't watch when Reggie left? Cool, keep thinking that.

http://www.lizardmaster.com/UserFiles/Image/reggieferengi2.jpg

I apologize for posting the Redick article, jesus christ. Thanks for the warm welcoming...

PS: I made the case for Redick because of his "POTENTIAL" not his NCAA performance. Get your facts straight, Anthem, and lay off the Hatorade.

Dukins
07-18-2008, 11:05 AM
No. I know I know, what a way to expound on my thoughts.

Cherokee
07-18-2008, 11:06 AM
I was a sportswriter and editor for 20 years, and I covered Duke for four years. I love coach K and his wife Mikki, and the Blue Devils are one of 3-4 college teams I follow throughout the year. That said, I don't think JJ would help the Pacers. They need a power forward and to get rid of Tinsley. I would trade Tinsley for JJ ... or for a yo-yo ... or for a canteloupe .. or a 24-pack of Diet Coke.

dewman_32
07-18-2008, 11:12 AM
(a)You're rude, I hate Duke, I hate J.J. Redick, and youre gettin near being added to the list (likely not but stop hatin' on me ha). It was just an idea. I came up with it at the beginning of the summer, and yes we have gotten more three point threats and no I dont watch Star Trek. Ferengii is a nickname Reggie has been given by NBA players since he first came into the league because of he similar look to the Ferengi's on Star Trek. (b) Geez louise, don't be so vindictive, did I say the trade was going to happen, no? Half of the idiotic trades most people come up with arent even reasonable or possible. (c) All of you can go date Jeff Foster since all of you are obsessed with having a over 30 glorified rebounder on a team destine for mediocricy because you know nothing about basketball, he is too old for this team and doesn't fit in, we need youth to help build or franchise to win down the road, not guy who are on the downside of their careers. (d) I played basketball and am in college and no longer am involved. (e) I don't want to be a sports journalist. (f) I put my real name with my work because I am not a pussy hiding behind some fake name, because you likely, are a hater to most everyone, always negative in his mid to late thirties, likely working some low wage job like a school teacher, who is jealous of young people like myself who are going to make descent money and work at a job that doesn't suck. (g) I love the Pacers, I never miss a game, I love every player they get, and I am always thinking into the future. You think I didn't watch when Reggie left? Cool, keep thinking that.

http://www.lizardmaster.com/UserFiles/Image/reggieferengi2.jpg

I apologize for posting the Redick article, jesus christ. Thanks for the warm welcoming...

PS: I made the case for Redick because of his "POTENTIAL" not his NCAA performance. Get your facts straight, Anthem, and lay off the Hatorade.
I've got a headache and it's got Excedrin® written all over it.

:drool:

FerengiMiller
07-18-2008, 11:19 AM
and I am not a bandwagon fan, I am a Bengals, Reds, and Pacers fan. I have never been anything else and always cheered for those teams since I was born. I go to tons of games for all my teams. I have only seen one championship, that was the Reds when I was five. I saw the Bengals play a playoff game where Palmer and Henry got injured on the first play, I religiously watch my teams and will never cheer for any other teams. Great guess, and I only cheer for Miami of Ohio in NCAA sports, because that is my school. I watched Roethlisberger and Szczerbiak here, never will get any better and likely not anytime soon going to happen again. Great prognosis, way off though buddy, way off! If I was a bandwagon fan, I would be posting about the Colts, but oh wait, I am not by any means!!!!

I'm just defendin myself, since I was attacked personally...

FerengiMiller
07-18-2008, 11:23 AM
FerengiMiller = Paul Pierce

Anthem = Al Horford

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/648/pierceqn8.jpg

Ferengi Miller = Just wants to have fun!

Anthem = Hater!

http://forums.bigfunonthebayou.com/eve/forums/a/ga/ul/1951051107/inlineimg/Y/Hatorade.jpg

Speed
07-18-2008, 11:28 AM
FerengiMiller = Paul Pierce

Anthem = Al Horford

That is so funny and I'm not even sure why?

FerengiMiller
07-18-2008, 11:33 AM
Speed? We both have amazing Charles Barkley quotes posted but I might say,

Thats why I dont eat shrimp.

Is something I say on a daily basis, man, you truly now whats good! Haha, I love that damn commercial so much!!!

Speed = In my five.

Speed
07-18-2008, 11:37 AM
Speed? We both have amazing Charles Barkley quotes posted but I might say,

Is something I say on a daily basis, man, you truly now whats good! Haha, I love that damn commercial so much!!!

Speed = In my five.

Anthem, you are a hater, I agree.

FerengiMiller
07-18-2008, 11:38 AM
Ferengi Miller = Eminem

http://cifraclub.terra.com.br/contrib/noticias/eminem.jpg

Anthem = Stagga Lee

http://www.nenemusik.com/assets/images/Stagga_Lee_Web.JPG

Gyron
07-18-2008, 11:40 AM
Anthem Cracks me up.

Speed
07-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Ferengi Miller = Eminem

http://cifraclub.terra.com.br/contrib/noticias/eminem.jpg

Anthem = Stagga Lee

Now, I just feel old and out of touch.

dewman_32
07-18-2008, 12:30 PM
What's the over/under on Ferengi being banned before 6 PM tonight?

ChicagoJ
07-18-2008, 12:30 PM
:haterade:

I can't help but laugh as I read all of this.

I don't know which is funnier, the idea of JJ Redick helping an NBA team or Anthem's satire.

If JJ Redick were 6'2", his career would look a lot like Steve Alford, who WAS/IS a better shooter anyway. And it seems to me that his career actually is looking a lot like Steve Alford's.

Cobol Sam
07-18-2008, 12:35 PM

I can't believe you got away with this garbage of a post. This is out of line, its mean, it has nothing to do with basketball and it is a blatant and purposeful attack on another poster.

Welcome Ferengi Miller to the Pacers Digest Good Ol' Boys Club. Try not to have dissenting opinions or styles with us or we will surely and harshly put you in your place.

Tom White
07-18-2008, 12:40 PM
(e) I don't want to be a sports journalist. (f) I put my real name with my work because I am not a wimp hiding behind some fake name,

(e) Well, you're well on your way towards the goal of not being a writer.

(f) You mean a fake name like FerengiMiller?

Tom White
07-18-2008, 12:42 PM

Naw, you're not old. Out of touch? Maybe.
:laugh:

Mourning
07-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Anthem, you are a hater, I agree.

Friggin' hilarious!!! :spitout: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:haterade:
I can't help but laugh as I read all of this.

I don't know which is funnier, the idea of JJ Redick helping an NBA team or Anthem's satire.

And Ferengi Miller's response aswell :nod:... good stuff. Both you guys made me laugh out loud with people at working looking at me like... :wtf: :).

idioteque
07-18-2008, 01:13 PM

Really? I thought someone this respected on this board would be better than that. What you've posted here are nothing but unsubstantiated lies and personal insults, which you basically admit to in your post. Cobol Sam described this post best as "garbage."

I'll also say that FM did everything but take the high road after these insults, but his trollish posts were a response to something much worse and much more personally insulting.

Peck
07-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Ok, the personal insults stop now or this thread is gone.

That goes for both sides.

I don't care about previous post on this thread, but from here forward they will be dealt with.

Speed
07-18-2008, 01:26 PM

If JJ Redick were 6'2", his career would look a lot like Steve Alford, who WAS/IS a better shooter anyway. And it seems to me that his career actually is looking a lot like Steve Alford's.

I agree, Alford seems to be a great comparison. If Reddick can find a team that sorely needs a shooter, then he can find a place. More likely he'll be coaching in Iowa someday.

FerengiMiller
07-18-2008, 01:27 PM
(e) Well, you're well on your way towards the goal of not being a writer.

(f) You mean a fake name like FerengiMiller?

Cobol Smith I wanted to thank you for having my back, I truly felt attacked by Anthem for no reason whatsoever... I dont understand it. I thought I did take the high road, my responses were simply stating who I was as a person, the last two were more funny because I have thick skin but seriously, the over under on me being banned.... if I get banned from this website than sobeit but I truly don't think I did anything wrong and didn't do half of what Anthem did... and to Tom's response (f), I am pretty sure I used my real name right below my article... I just figured I would do that so people know who wrote it... I apologize for whatever trouble I caused. My response might have been a little heavier than I normally would have put up but I felt almost betrayed, I thought writing here was going to be fun since it is Pacers fans who are involved and love to talk about the Pacers, just as I do... Apologies for any problems I caused or to any people I offended, I simply was trying to lighten up a sour situation that was spoiled by Athems vindictive rhetoric about my article, not to mention personal attacks on who I am as a person.

ajbry
07-18-2008, 01:28 PM
Redick just isn't an NBA-level talent. It's that simple. He can shoot lights out against slower, less sophisticated defenses (the NCAA) but aside from that he can't hang his hat on bringing anything else to his team.

I'd take Damon Jones over him...

btowncolt
07-18-2008, 01:28 PM
Thank you for this thread.

Vince Neil
07-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Good stuff.

http://www.katefarrell.co.uk/images/boy%20eating%20popcorn.jpg

ajbry
07-18-2008, 01:32 PM

I have no idea who the ***** Stagga Lee is, so don't feel bad.

Shade
07-18-2008, 01:33 PM
We're already one player over the roster limit and we need to upgrade the frontcourt. Pass.

Btw, why the sudden infatuation by TPTB of Duke players?

FerengiMiller
07-18-2008, 01:38 PM
I am going to stick to not getting involved with the message board, I feel like I stepped outside of my boundaries and said things I never would have because I was shocked by what was being said to me. Once again I am sorry, I truly am. I never meant anything I said, in the heat of the moment, the first response I had written I instantly realized was out of line and I am sorry, I have never reacted in that manner and never will again in the future. This truly was a learning experience, only being 23 I am not use to that type of statements made in reference to my work and who I am as a person. I will take the high road and discontinue my involvement with Pacers Digest, I feel as if continuing on would not be in my best interest. Once again that is not who I am, and I dont condone my actions or statements by any means, I am sorry that I allowed Anthem to get a rise out of me, giving him exactly what he wanted. I have no problems with Anthem or anyone else on this board. Go Pacers!

http://www.poster.net/anonymous/anonymous-sorry-9960849.jpg

Naptown_Seth
07-18-2008, 01:39 PM
I think Anthem has some level of reason to complain about the methods in practice to drive this thread. I understand no one likes a snarky comment directed at them, but politeness goes both ways.

Insults aren't the only aspect to politeness. I can show up at a PD party and just start shouting "I LOVE FOSTER" all night, ruining everyone's ability to enjoy the evening without technically insulting them.

It's cool to be new, it's cool to present your own article for reading when it's relevent to the board (like T'bird does sort of), and certainly quality of posting ranges for all of us. I do wonder why this wasn't inititally presented as an article by the poster. Certainly T'bird doesn't write something up and then By Line it like it was from some other journalist.

So that approach is going to strike some people the wrong way.

Let's be realistic, online forums face a daily battle against trolling, spamming, and all sorts of other crazy junk. Maybe Anthem came off too hard if the poster is legit, but at the same time I'm betting he was expressing strong suspicions about the sincerety behind the effort.

We'll try to be nicer but brand new posters need to bear in mind that it's tough to differentiate between someone new and serious and someone that's just trolling through.

ajbry
07-18-2008, 01:42 PM
I am going to stick to not getting involved with the message board, I feel like I stepped outside of my boundaries and said things I never would have because I was shocked by what was being said to me. Once again I am sorry, I truly am. I never meant anything I said, in the heat of the moment, the first response I had written I instantly realized was out of line and I am sorry, I have never reacted in that manner and never will again in the future. This truly was a learning experience, only being 23 I am not use to that type of statements made in reference to my work and who I am as a person. I will take the high road and discontinue my involvement with Pacers Digest, I feel as if continuing on would not be in my best interest. Once again that is not who I am, and I dont condone my actions or statements by any means, I am sorry that I allowed Anthem to get a rise out of me, giving him exactly what he wanted. I have no problems with Anthem or anyone else on this board. Go Pacers!

You're taking this too seriously. If you want to articulate your opinions about the Pacers, do it. This is the best place online to do so.

ChicagoJ
07-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Believe me, if anyone can speak from the experience of having been picked on around here in the past, its ajbry.

We don't sit around all day singing kum-bay-ah together, and there are two sides to every "disagreement."

Coop
07-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Is it just me or has everyone become extremely sensitive lately? Now, before this post is deleted, please understand I'm not trying to be rude nor am I trying to give personal insults. It just seems like whenever there is a hint of one person not being 110% kind and polite to others, someone jumps in and complains about how hurtful it is.

I think everyone just needs to suck up some of the comments sometimes and just move on. This isn't a daycare. Everyone here is a grown adult for the most part, and should be able to handle comments made regardless of whats said. Just my .02

MagicRat
07-18-2008, 01:53 PM
Is it just me or has everyone become extremely sensitive lately?

Plans change. That's how I live my life now. Let's please move on.....

Speed
07-18-2008, 01:53 PM
I thought it was written by someone else without a link. So did others. If it's clear someone says here is my opinion, you can say whatever you want. I may think it's the smartest thing I've ever heard or the dumbest thing I've ever heard, but it doesn't make it wrong.

It was unclear that this was your opinion, but it read as someone trying to pull one over on us, at least for a second. That reeked of trolling.

Just my opinion. See now I can say what ever I want. :)

Mourning
07-18-2008, 02:36 PM

Haha, let's hear it for MagicEarl here!!! :lol:

Jonathan
07-18-2008, 02:43 PM
I do not understand why Reddick is selling himself so short as just a role player. He has the skill set to be in the basketball hall of fame. I am questioning his mind frame? He goes from One of the Greatest College Basketball I have ever seen to settling for crumbs after he gets his million dollars.

Robertmto
07-18-2008, 02:43 PM
I love PD

Slick Pinkham
07-18-2008, 02:53 PM
I do not understand why Reddick is selling himself so short as just a role player. He has the skill set to be in the basketball hall of fame. I am questioning his mind frame? He goes from One of the Greatest College Basketball I have ever seen to settling for crumbs after he gets his million dollars.

He has the skill set to be in the H-O-R-S-E hall of fame.

There is a difference. Is there a single skill other than shooting in which is he not below average for an NBA player?

ball-handling?
passing?
running the court?
movement?
creating shots?
exploiting mismatches?
individual defense?
deflections?
footwork?
team defense?
rebounding?

He was a wasted draft pick and I would only want him as part of the package to give up Turd-Sandwich Tinsley.

Dr. Goldfoot
07-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Is it just me or has everyone become extremely sensitive lately?

I attribute it to the tons of new people who've joined post draft/recent trades. This board hasn't seen this kind of insurgence since the Runi days. New posters tend to be aggressive and will eventually find their groove, lord knows I was. Older posters tend to be aggressive towards new guys as well as some sort of subliminal testing of the waters. This board is vastly different than many others in that people actually debate as opposed to practically every other message board in the land where calling someone a D-bag means you won something. It's all good.......

Arcadian
07-18-2008, 02:55 PM
F. Miller,
Often times a poster will come to PD expressing a lot of love of a non-Pacer player. About 87% of that time the poster turns out to be a troll who was previously banned. Also when you are new and start making hyperbolic claims about a player even in jest after others disagree with you that gives the impression that you aren't interested a discussion but rather shouting over them and possibly getting arise out of them.

That is the reason people reacted to you the way they did.

But that's in the past. We don't like to dwell on things even as recent as the Bayless trade unless it is Bender, Brad Miller, Ron Artest...

Welcome to PD.

ABADays
07-18-2008, 03:09 PM
I'm always interested in a pure shooter. Having said that I have no thoughts one way or the other though. I guess the question I have is, at this point, the legacy of Coach K is going to be filled with stiffs. :rolleyes:

ChicagoJ
07-18-2008, 03:31 PM
-snip- New posters tend to be aggressive and will eventually find their groove, lord knows I was.

But you've been here longer than a week, right? :D

Young
07-18-2008, 03:40 PM
JJ is one of my favorite college players ever. I loved watching him play at Duke.

The problem is that he can't defend at all. Maybe if was taller like Jason Kapono it might help a little bit.

JJ is going to have to be on a great defensive team, like last years Celtics, to be able to play.

There is no doubt that he can shoot. That being the only thing he does wouldn't be so bad if he could defend a little.

Anthem
07-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Hmm. I'm gone all day and this is what I miss.

I'm going to go through the thread and read everything one word at a time. For now, I apologize to Farengi for giving him such a poor welcome. I meant it as a toss-off joke, not a deep personal attack.

Farengi, I'm sorry you were hurt by this.

Now to actually read the thread and see what's going on.

Anthem
07-18-2008, 04:36 PM
Ok. I'm starting to work my way through... here's my thoughts on individual points.

(a)You're rude, I hate Duke, I hate J.J. Redick,
Ok, I guess I can't argue with the first two words, but I'm a bit confused on the second part. I don't see any hating of Duke in your post, and I sure as heck don't see any hating of JJ Redick. I mean, your post shows a VERY high level of respect for Redick and his playing ability, as well as what he accomplished at Duke. I simply cannot read your original post and believe that you hate JJ Redick.

Ferengii is a nickname Reggie has been given by NBA players since he first came into the league because of he similar look to the Ferengi's on Star Trek.
I did not know that. I stand corrected. I'm not familiar with the Ferengis (Proper name? Alien race?), although I have seen Peck post the picture before. I hadn't ever heard/read the word before a quick Google search. It's the first I've ever heard about NBA players calling Reggie "Ferengii" though. Do you know that from personal knowledge/relationships with said players, or did you read it/hear it on a broadcast?

(c) All of you can go date Jeff Foster since all of you are obsessed with having a over 30 glorified rebounder on a team destine for mediocricy because you know nothing about basketball, he is too old for this team and doesn't fit in, we need youth to help build or franchise to win down the road, not guy who are on the downside of their careers.
I'll ignore this line of argument, other than to say that in my opinion, Jeff's career has more left in it than JJ's.

PS: I made the case for Redick because of his "POTENTIAL" not his NCAA performance.
Again, I'm unable to believe that. It might be your internal belief, but it certainly doesn't mesh with what your article says. In the article, you make your case solely from his NCAA career.

[I]I am not a bandwagon fan, I am a Bengals, Reds, and Pacers fan.
As a resident of Cincinnati, I agree that any long-time Bengals fan cannot be a bandwagon fan.

Anthem
07-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Often times a poster will come to PD expressing a lot of love of a non-Pacer player. About 87% of that time the poster turns out to be a troll who was previously banned. Also when you are new and start making hyperbolic claims about a player even in jest after others disagree with you that gives the impression that you aren't interested a discussion but rather shouting over them and possibly getting arise out of them.
Yep. Rough estimation, of course, but that's generally true. Maybe +/- two or three percent. Or are we allowed to use +/-?

I actually kinda thought he was Kofi/Landry again.

Anthem
07-18-2008, 04:50 PM
I can't believe you got away with this garbage of a post. This is out of line, its mean, it has nothing to do with basketball and it is a blatant and purposeful attack on another poster.

I'll also say that FM did everything but take the high road after these insults, but his trollish posts were a response to something much worse and much more personally insulting.
And this is the part where I get confused.

I didn't think anything in my post was mean or insulting. (EDIT: After a third read-through, I could see somebody being upset by the Trek line. I can explain my reasoning, but I personally don't see liking Star Trek as anything shameful, although I'm more than a little behind on the lore myself. Other than that, it looks fine to me). It was apparently inaccurate, but none of those things were, by themselves, insulting. If somebody had posted that about me (either somebody brand-new to the forum, or an old-timer) I'd have laughed.

I guess maybe you could say that it's mean or insulting to try and figure out who people are based on their posting styles, but what exactly was it that you guys found so offensive?

FerengiMiller
07-18-2008, 04:53 PM
I'm not Kofi/Landry, whoever that is... I really don't like Duke and never liked Redick, but if he were to become a Pacer I would love him. It was a subjective article written from the POV of arguing that J.J. Redick would be a great fit for the Pacers. I didn't like Roy Hibbert, now a Pacer, I already love him. I didn't like Jalen Rose, but when he joined the Pacers I loved him. Same with Kenny Anderson, Rasho Nesterovic, Sarunas Jaskivicius, Flip Murray, on and on and on. I apologize for our dumb petty arguments.

But as a resident of Cincinnati, everyone is always challenging me being a Pacer fan, especially now that everyone in Ohio "looooovveeees" the Cavs. I have been going to Pacers games on a regular basis since I was in Kingergarten. I got Reggie Millers autograph the first game I went too at Market Square and have been die hard ever since. My dad lived in Indy during the ABA dynasty after his college was over and got me to love the Pacers as he does. With Indy being 1.5 hours away from me and Cleveland over 4, it was an obvious choice. There will never be another team I cheer for, so challenging my fan hood is what made me the most insulted and mad, you can make fun of me all you want and call me a nerd, I really could care less, because I know it is BS and I knew I played high school basketball at a high level and even defended D. Cook well enough to be mentioned in the newspaper when we played Dunbar, but seriously fabricating vindictive things is just unnecessary, I'm not a baby but I don't like when I feel people are attacking me for absolutely no reason (especially when we are supposed to be on the same side, Pacers fans).

From a guy who got in a wrestling match with his freshman year roommate of college (who had one leg), Kyle Boston, during the Pacers vs. Celtics opening round playoff series, due to the fact he was a Celtics fan because of his last name and told me I was a bandwagon fan, it is something I never took lightly and never will (we are friends still - that was a rocky week and a half haha, Pacers won though).

http://www.emailbookclub.com/serv/pc_hand_shake2.jpg

I will continuing contributing because my love for the Pacers outweighs this stupid situation I have gotten into. To show I still want to debate and talk Pacers with all of you guys I posted a Trade Proposal that I think is pretty legit, check it out:
http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=40431

Elgin56
07-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Believe me, if anyone can speak from the experience of having been picked on around here in the past, its ajbry.

We don't sit around all day singing kum-bay-ah together, and there are two sides to every "disagreement."

Oh really?

Anthem
07-18-2008, 05:15 PM
I will continuing contributing because my love for the Pacers outweighs this stupid situation I have gotten into.
Hey, for the record, I thought the comparisons were hilarious.

idioteque
07-18-2008, 05:31 PM
He's definately not Kofi/Landry...Kofi/Landry would never reveal his real name/identity on this site.

Coop
07-18-2008, 06:39 PM
I didn't think anything in my post was mean or insulting.

It wasn't. People were just being over-critical.

If somebody had posted that about me (either somebody brand-new to the forum, or an old-timer) I'd have laughed.

Ditto. Not an issue whatsoever.

ajbry
07-18-2008, 06:52 PM
He's definately not Kofi/Landry...Kofi/Landry would never reveal his real name/identity on this site.

I consider myself one of PD's leading experts on Kofi, and I can assure the panicked masses that FerengiMiller is not Kofi (aka Quis, aka Y2J, etc.). Besides, Kofi has a few telltale signs - his/her/it's posting style is always the same and his/her/it's rantings follow a very precise pattern.

Pacers
07-18-2008, 07:13 PM
I'm sure this has been pointed out, but what kind of writer can't spell "ridiculous"?

Naptown_Seth
07-18-2008, 07:15 PM
Classic. God I needed that laugh. :D

Doddage
07-18-2008, 07:17 PM
I'm sure this has been pointed out, but what kind of writer can't spell "ridiculous"?
It's supposed to be a pun. JJ Redick-ulous

BorisD
07-18-2008, 08:09 PM
It's supposed to be a pun. JJ Redick-ulous
I can't believe nobody has posted this yet:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/saikyodesuyo/Random/jj_is_redickulously_gay.jpg

Coop
07-18-2008, 08:12 PM
Welcome to page 1.

Taterhead
07-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Is it just me or has everyone become extremely sensitive lately? Now, before this post is deleted, please understand I'm not trying to be rude nor am I trying to give personal insults. It just seems like whenever there is a hint of one person not being 110% kind and polite to others, someone jumps in and complains about how hurtful it is.

I think everyone just needs to suck up some of the comments sometimes and just move on. This isn't a daycare. Everyone here is a grown adult for the most part, and should be able to handle comments made regardless of whats said. Just my .02

I agree heartland, people need to get over there "feelings" a little and relax. This is a message board, and the reason I like message boards is the collection of opinions and personalities you get. It's impossible to get a large group this diverse to talk about sports without the internet.

It definately gets annoying if people take advantage of the fact they are simply a screen name and toss childish personal insults around, but frankly I don't see a lot of that here. This is without a doubt the tamest MB I have ever frequented. I really enjoy the group on here and read the board for a long time before I started posting on it. And I think the members of this board should take pride in that and actually enjoy it because it is a rarity for people who enjoy the message board experience.

But cut some people a little slack. There is always going to be something a tad offenseive to you, especially on the internet. The bar for what seems offensive directly corrolates with the level of offensive behavior. The less offensive behavior you see, the more offensive certain behavior seems.

BorisD
07-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Welcome to page 1.

Dang! Don't know how I missed that one.

Sorry, HF - the distinction of flambeeing Jonathon Clay first goes to you.

Anthem
07-18-2008, 11:29 PM
Anthem = Stagga Lee

Never heard of the guy, but it was just too good to pass up.

idioteque
07-18-2008, 11:38 PM
And this is the part where I get confused.

I didn't think anything in my post was mean or insulting. (EDIT: After a third read-through, I could see somebody being upset by the Trek line. I can explain my reasoning, but I personally don't see liking Star Trek as anything shameful, although I'm more than a little behind on the lore myself. Other than that, it looks fine to me). It was apparently inaccurate, but none of those things were, by themselves, insulting. If somebody had posted that about me (either somebody brand-new to the forum, or an old-timer) I'd have laughed.

I guess maybe you could say that it's mean or insulting to try and figure out who people are based on their posting styles, but what exactly was it that you guys found so offensive?

I just thought that it was unfair to basically label the guy as a bandwagon fan (since I am annoyed by bandwagon fans I may find this more offensive than someone who doesn't give a rats *** about bandwagon fans). And you basically called him dumb by saying his articles weren't "well-read." My philosophy is that if you think what someone has written is terribly off base than you should dissect it point by point rather than my saying what he wrote was just dumb. But I think I tend to be more sensitive than some people on this board. There are just different kinds of people on here. If Duke Dynamite or myself would have been subject to what you said, either of us probably would have been offended. If it was JayRedd, he probably would have laughed. I am just that way I guess and will try to develop thicker skin around here.

I didn't mean to insult you and I don't think you took it that way, but yea.

Anthem
07-18-2008, 11:47 PM
I just thought that it was unfair to basically label the guy as a bandwagon fan
Fair enough. But in my defense, never in my wildest dreams did I think that anybody could be a JJ Redick fan without being a bandwagon Duke fan. I honestly have always seen those two things as necessarily linked. I don't see how you could look at the kid as an NBA player and think "future Hall-of-Famer" unless you're drinking the Duke/Vitale Kool-Aid.

And you basically called him dumb by saying his articles weren't "well-read."
Wait, what? What does the readership of his article on ballhype.com have to do with his intelligence? There are plenty of guys on ESPN.com that have huge numbers of people read their articles, but that doesn't mean they're intelligent. The two subjects aren't related at all.

I think perhaps you've misunderstood what I was saying. If I said it wasn't well-written, you could read that as an attack on his intelligence (maybe... although plenty of smart people aren't good writers). But saying it's not well-read just means that not a lot of people have read the article. How often do YOU go to ballhype.com to read analysis?

My philosophy is that if you think what someone has written is terribly off base than you should dissect it point by point rather than my saying what he wrote was just dumb.
Like this?

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showpost.php?p=760037&postcount=24

I wasn't even remotely insulted. And I still don't think I've insulted anyone.

Cobol Sam
07-18-2008, 11:48 PM
I just thought that it was unfair to basically label the guy as a bandwagon fan (since I am annoyed by bandwagon fans I may find this more offensive than someone who doesn't give a rats *** about bandwagon fans). And you basically called him dumb by saying his articles weren't "well-read." My philosophy is that if you think what someone has written is terribly off base than you should dissect it point by point rather than my saying what he wrote was just dumb. But I think I tend to be more sensitive than some people on this board. There are just different kinds of people on here. If Duke Dynamite or myself would have been subject to what you said, either of us probably would have been offended. If it was JayRedd, he probably would have laughed. I am just that way I guess and will try to develop thicker skin around here.

Whatever, the guy acted like a jerk and got called out on it. You don't need to apologize, period.

Anthem
07-18-2008, 11:53 PM
Whatever, the guy acted like a jerk
:shrug: Sorry you feel that way.

You don't need to apologize, period.
Finally, something we can agree on.

idioteque
07-18-2008, 11:56 PM
I think perhaps you've misunderstood what I was saying. If I said it wasn't well-written, you could read that as an attack on his intelligence (maybe... although plenty of smart people aren't good writers). But saying it's not well-read just means that not a lot of people have read the article. How often do YOU go to ballhype.com to read analysis?

Yeah I thought you meant well-read in a completely different sense. I thought you meant such as "Tom failed out of North Carolina State after one semester, therefore he isn't very well-read." As opposed to what you really meant, an example which would be "dcpacersfan posts his articles on JayRedd's blog, which isn't well-read because no one knows the url."

Cobol Sam
07-19-2008, 12:00 AM
:shrug: Sorry you feel that way.

Finally, something we can agree on.

I clearly wasn't talking to you when I said that. You should apologize for the insults you posted instead of hiding behind a false ignorance of your own behavior.

Coop
07-19-2008, 12:09 AM
I clearly wasn't talking to you when I said that. You should apologize for the insults you posted instead of hiding behind a false ignorance of your own behavior.

Quit being an oversensitive cry baby. Mods have already stated it wasn't a problem, so let it go.

Ramitt
07-19-2008, 12:38 AM
Seems to be a problem with the mods then if I got an infraction for less. Favoritism at its best/worst.

Alpolloloco
07-19-2008, 01:00 AM

I agree.

Anthem's post was kind of sarcastic ... but that has become his style of late.

FerengiMiller
07-19-2008, 01:00 AM
http://johnsboxofsoap.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/06-move-on.jpg

but, since I'm here.....

Ferengi Miller = Dream Team Patrick Ewing
http://es.geocities.com/canal_nbaction/dream/dream4.jpg

Anthem = Dream Team Christian Laettner
http://es.geocities.com/canal_nbaction/dream/dream8.jpg

and

Cobol Sam = Jackie Chan
http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Film/Pix/pictures/2007/04/04/jackie.jpg
(Jackie "Cobol Sam" Chan is confused by the actions of others to a stranger)
http://www.completemartialarts.com/whoswho/actionstars/images/j_chan.jpg
(so Jackie takes his clothes off, and takes care of business)
http://upload.moldova.org/movie/actors/j/jackie_chan/Jackie_Chan-5.jpg
(With Ferengi under his wing, he puts on a tuxedo and parties)

Peck
07-19-2008, 01:08 AM
Ok, I think it's fair to say that this thread has now gone far enough off topic that we are now in a free fall.

I am going to agree with the CPR poster from above, it's time to move on.

With that in mind.

http://www.coyoteboards.com/files/2043868/uploaded/Angle_Type_Brass_Padlock.jpg